The Witcher 2.... not that Great...?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Of course I'm not trolling and to start with the positive, I absoulutely LOVE Witcher 2 (even though I never finished part 1). The graphics are amazing, the setting is perfect for RPG, and as an RPG game it does a lot of things very well.

Saying that, I want to play Devil's Advocate and see if anyone agrees with what I consider negative on this game, and if fixed could have made it a perfect RPG:

SPOILERS NOTE: I'm up to the part where I just lifted the Myst Curse on the camp for the King.

These are my opinions on some matters (also note I am playing with original version):

1- Map Design: although the places you visit are amazing to look at, the actual map design is very bad. In some areas I am constantly opening the map cause the way paths are set out are very confusing.

2- Since we are on Maps. Backtracking: I hate when an RPG makes you go back the way you came (in a dungeon) when you have completed said dungeon and quest. Just put an exit door at the end.

3- Tutorial: I don't think I have ever googled some much hints for this game. Sometimes you are required to do something but the game doesn't explain it or even give you hints. Imagine playing without Internet.

4- Pacing: might be just me, but the pacing is off some times. It goes from one subject to another without a good flow.

5- Other Characters: personal opinion but I don't like playing as other characters, I prefer cutscenes for this instead.

6- Map: the Radar on the mini-map isn't as helpful as it could have been.

7- Town Portal?: maybe or something like it? you run quite a bit.

8- Picking up things: sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes to pick something up (as in detect it)

9- Save System: why did they make it so it keeps creating a new save and not able to delete old saves? Surely someone should have dectected this...?

10- Story: maybe it's just me but the story seems really convoluted... so many names you confuse the characters. And the "wild hunt" story in between.

11- Doors: I don't mind having to open a door to get through, but when you are with a companion, and he goes through....you hit an invisible wall and have to press MOUSE BUTTON to re-open the door. Takes away from the immersion.

12- Sound: sometimes the volume balance is off. You can't hear the characters speak because the sound effects are too loud.

13- I've already had 5 occasions where I've talked to a person next to a campfire...only to exit the conversation and be standing in the campfire taking damage.

SUMMARY: Like I said, it's not trolling and I'm loving the game. Just that these things could have been fixed. And wanted to know if anyone else noticed them.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Yea the locations are nice to look at, but boring other wise. What really killed it for me was the completely TERRIBLE 3rd act. I mean absolutely dreadful that act is. Nothing to do, nothing to see, it's short and the final boss battle if you so choose to do is a complete letdown. Let's not forget the ending and how pitiful that is. It's a good game and I wouldn't bag on this game so much if it didn't disappointment oh so much.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Yea the locations are nice to look at, but boring other wise. What really killed it for me was the completely TERRIBLE 3rd act. I mean absolutely dreadful that act is. Nothing to do, nothing to see, it's short and the final boss battle if you so choose to do is a complete letdown. Let's not forget the ending and how pitiful that is. It's a good game and I wouldn't bag on this game so much if it didn't disappointment oh so much.millerlight89
I'm not sure what ending you got but I actually didn't have much of a problem with the ending other than it being a cliffhanger. I will however agree that the final boss battle is a bit disappointing and that the 3rd act was way too short and there was way too little to do in it. Hopefully they release some dlc or something to make it feel more like the 3rd act instead a short epilogue.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I liked the game although it was nowhre near perfect and with things to improve there wasnt anything better at the time(nothing that I liked).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]Yea the locations are nice to look at, but boring other wise. What really killed it for me was the completely TERRIBLE 3rd act. I mean absolutely dreadful that act is. Nothing to do, nothing to see, it's short and the final boss battle if you so choose to do is a complete letdown. Let's not forget the ending and how pitiful that is. It's a good game and I wouldn't bag on this game so much if it didn't disappointment oh so much.Moriarity_
I'm not sure what ending you got but I actually didn't have much of a problem with the ending other than it being a cliffhanger. I will however agree that the final boss battle is a bit disappointing and that the 3rd act was way too short and there was way too little to do in it. Hopefully they release some dlc or something to make it feel more like the 3rd act instead a short epilogue.

Well I can't comment on this because i believe I'm still on Act 2 I don't mind cliffhanger endings though, Witcher 1 had it too....
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

How have you googled so much? I never had to once, this game was amazing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

Cloud567kar
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! Well for example when u do Necromancy on the dead body, but u have to drink a special potion before. It would be nice for a pop up to appear to guide u with a hint. Another simple example is the silver sword, if u didn't know much about witchers or played the original or hadnt read the manual then u wouldn't know that it is used for monsters Not just me, lots of people have complained a about the lack of a good tutorial or a least hint system
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud567kar"]

FelipeInside

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! Well for example when u do Necromancy on the dead body, but u have to drink a special potion before. It would be nice for a pop up to appear to guide u with a hint. Another simple example is the silver sword, if u didn't know much about witchers or played the original or hadnt read the manual then u wouldn't know that it is used for monsters Not just me, lots of people have complained a about the lack of a good tutorial or a least hint system

It says to use what sword for what enemies at the begining.. atleast for me it did. Said something like "draw this other weapon for fighting these types of enemies". If im not mistaken in the sewers for the first time and you fight the monsters.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Of course I'm not trolling and to start with the positive, I absoulutely LOVE Witcher 2 (even though I never finished part 1). The graphics are amazing, the setting is perfect for RPG, and as an RPG game it does a lot of things very well.

Saying that, I want to play Devil's Advocate and see if anyone agrees with what I consider negative on this game, and if fixed could have made it a perfect RPG:

SPOILERS NOTE: I'm up to the part where I just lifted the Myst Curse on the camp for the King.

These are my opinions on some matters (also note I am playing with original version):

1- Map Design: although the places you visit are amazing to look at, the actual map design is very bad. In some areas I am constantly opening the map cause the way paths are set out are very confusing.

2- Since we are on Maps. Backtracking: I hate when an RPG makes you go back the way you came (in a dungeon) when you have completed said dungeon and quest. Just put an exit door at the end.

3- Tutorial: I don't think I have ever googled some much hints for this game. Sometimes you are required to do something but the game doesn't explain it or even give you hints. Imagine playing without Internet.

4- Pacing: might be just me, but the pacing is off some times. It goes from one subject to another without a good flow.

5- Other Characters: personal opinion but I don't like playing as other characters, I prefer cutscenes for this instead.

8- Picking up things: sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes to pick something up (as in detect it)

9- Save System: why did they make it so it keeps creating a new save and not able to delete old saves? Surely someone should have dectected this...?

10- Story: maybe it's just me but the story seems really convoluted... so many names you confuse the characters. And the "wild hunt" story in between.

11- Doors: I don't mind having to open a door to get through, but when you are with a companion, and he goes through....you hit an invisible wall and have to press MOUSE BUTTON to re-open the door. Takes away from the immersion.

12- Sound: sometimes the volume balance is off. You can't hear the characters speak because the sound effects are too loud.

13- I've already had 5 occasions where I've talked to a person next to a campfire...only to exit the conversation and be standing in the campfire taking damage.

SUMMARY: Like I said, it's not trolling and I'm loving the game. Just that these things could have been fixed. And wanted to know if anyone else noticed them.

FelipeInside

every game has flaws, i haven't and will not meet any perfect game. Those things you describe it makes it any less enjoyable? not at all, one of the best wrpgs from this gen, if not the best

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

no offense dude, but first you say you the game is not that great, then you say you love the game.

Either way, wait for the version 2.0 update for some technical improvements or........not. Some of your points seem more like personal nitpicking. Even the greatest of games I can think off had even more annoying issues.

Personally I think it's the best rpg this gen, it's not perfect, but it gets the important things right in my book. why?

-This is the only rpg that's made me sit and think about the choices I made

-High replay value

-The first time in an rpg that major npcs felt so alive

-I love the combat

-that forest in flotsam, words cannot describe how eerily atmospheric it was

-and finally, DAT TRISS

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts
I hated the loot system and the loot in TW2.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 millerlight89
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]Yea the locations are nice to look at, but boring other wise. What really killed it for me was the completely TERRIBLE 3rd act. I mean absolutely dreadful that act is. Nothing to do, nothing to see, it's short and the final boss battle if you so choose to do is a complete letdown. Let's not forget the ending and how pitiful that is. It's a good game and I wouldn't bag on this game so much if it didn't disappointment oh so much.Moriarity_

I just thought it was a dull ending. Just because it is a cliff hanger is no excuse. The whole last 3rd of the game just felt like little effort was put into it.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 millerlight89

no offense dude, but first you say you the game is not that great, then you say you love the game.omenodebander

I don't get it, what point are you trying to make? He loves the game, but understands its flaws.........

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I never saw a problem with this. Will have to pay more attention whenever I go through Roche's path.

I don't remember any major backtracking.

I completed everything but one jump to reach a tower on Iorveth's path without a guide or hint. Even the combat was easy past the trial by fire that is the tutorial.

The game seemed perfectly paced except for the end which isn't badly paced but much shorter and less detailed then the other parts of the game.

This did bother me, especially since you have no dodge.

This was fine.

No! Part of the charm in this game is running through the environments, adding quick travel would kill all the effort put into the evironments.

Didn't have this problem.

The first game did this and so does Deus Ex 1. Not a feature unique to this particular title.

The story is meant to be 'epic' in scale and comes together towards the end while leaving a cliffhanger sort of ending. The wild hunt is a central part of the story and ties into the reason Geralt was in his condition for the first game and the reason you will be going somewhere in the third game.

This is annoying.

Never had the issue.

Never had this issue.

FelipeInside

Putting your opinion out is not trolling. If that were the case I would be considered a master troll since I pretty much put my opinion out for every game I either strongly dislike or strongly like.

What the Witcher 2 needs to make it a perfect game is a more meaty ending. It is actually like Mass Effect in a lot of respects: the first game was setting up the universe and scenario. the second establishes the big players of the world and sets up for a huge conflict and the third is going to be a massive showdown of some sort.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Huh, all that and you didn't comment on the combat? (which is crap, and it's biggest flaw, easily)
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I wanted a longer last chapter thats it, everything else I liked personally, never found any of it to hard. Maybe better UI?

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

The Witcher 2 was the best game to come out this year.

But it does have many flaws, however, none of which are related to the gameplay or story itself. The inventory and UI are a mess. The minimap is terrible. The map is terrible. I've spent many hours backtracking because I was unable to navigate myself to the right location. Other than these flaws... and the terrible third act, it was an amazing game and one of the best games I've played this year.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 omenodebander

oh and I forgot

spoiler:

The giant chicken and the forest of em.........yeah

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
Huh, all that and you didn't comment on the combat? (which is crap, and it's biggest flaw, easily)Inconsistancy
What was so awful about the combat? I thought it was great compared to the first. I do agree that the last act was horrible compared to the first 2 though. I didn't even fight Letho, but my reasoning for that is because I chose Iorveth's path. When I do Roche's path, I'll fight him.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 millerlight89
The targeting system for one. It was better than the first, but that really isn't saying much. These guys really need to learn how to do better combat before releasing the next.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
The targeting system for one. It was better than the first, but that really isn't saying much. These guys really need to learn how to do better combat before releasing the next.millerlight89
I really liked the combat but I have to agree that the targeting system was a bit weird. It screwed me over a few times.
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
Yea the locations are nice to look at, but boring other wise. What really killed it for me was the completely TERRIBLE 3rd act. I mean absolutely dreadful that act is. Nothing to do, nothing to see, it's short and the final boss battle if you so choose to do is a complete letdown. Let's not forget the ending and how pitiful that is. It's a good game and I wouldn't bag on this game so much if it didn't disappointment oh so much.millerlight89
I disagree with you on the ending. The one I got felt very appropriate for the way I played and I was satisfied. However, I do agree with you on how bad the third act was. After how great act 2 was act 3 is kind of embarrassing. You can definitely tell that act 2 was where the developers put most of their love.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]The targeting system for one. It was better than the first, but that really isn't saying much. These guys really need to learn how to do better combat before releasing the next.SF_KiLLaMaN
I really liked the combat but I have to agree that the targeting system was a bit weird. It screwed me over a few times.

Ya I really didn't like how sometimes I would jump across the map when attacking some I clearly didn't want to attack. The biggest improvement was how smooth it felt.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I don't agree/haven't experienced any of your issues with exception to the map/compass (it should have cardinal north marked on it).

Also, you can delete saves, just highlight them and push the delete key.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]Huh, all that and you didn't comment on the combat? (which is crap, and it's biggest flaw, easily)Da_lil_PimP
What was so awful about the combat? I thought it was great compared to the first. I do agree that the last act was horrible compared to the first 2 though. I didn't even fight Letho, but my reasoning for that is because I chose Iorveth's path. When I do Roche's path, I'll fight him.

'Great compared to the first' unacceptable, it's extremely mediocre compared to other games. hell, Zelda OoT is more responsive and fun. Sluggish, shallow and cheap.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

The game falls short on the "gameplay" department.. No doubt there's nothing in the combat or quests which really make you use your noggin. The levelling up is not that interesting, the character building aspect is poor and the spells in the game are weak and uneventful to use.

However all in all The Witcher 2 is a good exepreince because the dialogue is well presented and the characters are memorable and it has high replay value, but for pure entertainment and "fun" it's a failure.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

oh and I forgot

spoiler:

omenodebander

They keep telling you it's a forest of giant mushrooms....but it's not.

:|

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="omenodebander"]

oh and I forgot

spoiler:

GeneralShowzer

They keep telling you it's a forest of giant mushrooms....but it's not.

:|

The devs DEFINATELY were on something the day they created that level....
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I thought the game was excellent, but the biggest issue for me was the lack of proper explanation of.. well everything. They basically make you fend for yourself most of the game and certain quests require you to aimlessly run around until you find what you need *SPOILERS* (first act is very guilty of this and doing a second play through the second act if you go with roach is guilty of this as well). That wasn't much of a spoiler but one can never be too careful. They don't explain the combat system or the mechanics (such as damage sustained from behind doing something like 200% of normal) nor do they explain countering and executions properly. Hell they don't even tell you what the Signs do lmao, you basically have to use them and figure it out.

This for me was the biggest issue with witcher 2, and honestly they need to address this badly if they want to put it on the 360.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I only played the prologue, waiting for 2.0 to continue, but my problems with it so far:

- decisions are to vague, in a drastic kind of way, I killed that general or w/e he was in the beginning and I went into the prison expecting to save that boy and the woman from the executioner, then I spent almost an hour googling why I never got to save her, instead she was take from her cell in a cutscene buy her aid or w/e he was (looking at this character I assume he's a traitor that has other plans and you'll have to fight him), I kept finding kill guy, save woman, talk things over with guy, see woman being take, nothing about a thrid option, in the end I just took it for granted as a 3-rd option, kill the guy and see woman being take.

- combat, combat itself might work, except dodgin which is way too slow, the transition between dodging and attacking/attacking and dodging, but I don't like how bad the sign system is, it's so bad they practically force you to use just two main signs to not deal with the selection screen ever again, would it have been so bad if it were like the original Witcher? it wasn't a chore back then it was simply selecting the signs you want. As said before, they also don't explain the signs, I played Witcher a long time ago, the only signs I remembered were Quen, Igni and Yrden.

- looting, a take all button would have been nice, or at least the looting window should pop up in the center of the screen, not at the bottom.

The rest I had no problem with, I liked having weird layouts for the maps, having such chaotic paths are great for those that want to explore every section and check every stoneand the difficulty is also a bonus even though certain elements of the combat makes it a little annoying.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

I only played the prologue, waiting for 2.0 to continue, but my problems with it so far:

- decisions are to vague, in a drastic kind of way, I killed that general or w/e he was in the beginning and I went into the prison expecting to save that boy and the woman from the executioner, then I spent almost an hour googling why I never got to save her, instead she was take from her cell in a cutscene buy her aid or w/e he was (looking at this character I assume he's a traitor that has other plans and you'll have to fight him), I kept finding kill guy, save woman, talk things over with guy, see woman being take, nothing about a thrid option, in the end I just took it for granted as a 3-rd option, kill the guy and see woman being take.

- combat, combat itself might work, except dodgin which is way too slow, the transition between dodging and attacking/attacking and dodging, but I don't like how bad the sign system is, it's so bad they practically force you to use just two main signs to not deal with the selection screen ever again, would it have been so bad if it were like the original Witcher? it wasn't a chore back then it was simply selecting the signs you want. As said before, they also don't explain the signs, I played Witcher a long time ago, the only signs I remembered were Quen, Igni and Yrden.

- looting, a take all button would have been nice, or at least the looting window should pop up in the center of the screen, not at the bottom.

The rest I had no problem with, I liked having weird layouts for the maps, having such chaotic paths are great for those that want to explore every section and check every stoneand the difficulty is also a bonus even though certain elements of the combat makes it a little annoying.

DanielDust

There IS a Take All button...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Like, go next to corpse and directly loot without using the mouse? if there's such a thing, I didn't notice
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
extreme amount of nitpicking in that post. Its the probably the best WRPG of this generation.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShimmerMan

It's really not even close to the best WRPG of this generation, unless you only play RPGs only for adult content such as sexing up tavern wenches and prostitutes - gambling and quick time boxing events. This may seem harsh but sometimes I really wonder is this the main reason so many gamers rate these games so highly.

The combat is bad, plain and simple. it's nothing to do with the devs not explaining how the combat works, its just not good. The enemy ai is poor, you can dodge behind them and hit them quite easily and they generally do nothing until they're dead, the group ai is abysmal - they simply run after you and try to hit you at the same time.. and that's all they do. The animations and feel of the game and the engine is not suited to the action hack n slash gameplay which they've implemented. Also there's major balance issues through out the game, some abilities and spells completely remove core gameplay mechanics such as blocking and parrying. There's a lot of freedom as it seems the devs tried to mix many ideas from previous action video games but the end result is not good.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GeneralShowzer

It's really not even close to the best WRPG of this generation, unless you only play RPGs only for adult content such as sexing up tavern wenches and prostitutes - gambling and quick time boxing events. This may seem harsh but sometimes I really wonder is this the main reason so many gamers rate these games so highly.

The combat is bad, plain and simple. it's nothing to do with the devs not explaining how the combat works, its just not good. The enemy ai is poor, you can dodge behind them and hit them quite easily and they generally do nothing until they're dead, the group ai is abysmal - they simply run after you and try to hit you at the same time.. and that's all they do. The animations and feel of the game and the engine is not suited to the action hack n slash gameplay which they've implemented. Also there's major balance issues through out the game, some abilities and spells completely remove core gameplay mechanics such as blocking and parrying. There's a lot of freedom as it seems the devs tried to mix many ideas from previous action video games but the end result is not good.

ShimmerMan

I respect your opinion, but TW2 is still the best RPG this generation.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ShimmerMan

How are poorly implemented gameplay mechanics a "opinion".. You going to tell me it's my opinion that the game plays sluggishly? You going to tell me it's a opinion that the Ai is balls? These are not opinions these are factual problems with the games combat which even positive reviews of the game have had to mention. How does a video game with sub-par gameplay become "RPG OF THE GENERATION?" hahaha.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GeneralShowzer

How are poorly implemented gameplay mechanics a "opinion".. You going to tell me it's my opinion that the game plays sluggishly? You going to tell me it's a opinion that the Ai is balls? These are not opinions these are factual problems with the games combat which even positive reviews of the game have had to mention. How does a video game with sub-par gameplay become "RPG OF THE GENERATION?" hahaha.

ShimmerMan

I am going to tell you exactly that.

Don't care about reviews, but in the highlights of the GS review, since we're on gamespot it says..

• Fun, challenging combat with a satisfying sense of impact.

RPG of the generation. Deal with it.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShimmerMan

gamecritics

Then there's the actual combat, which is even more problematic than the potion-chugging prep work. Even with the simplified controls, Geralt's actions are extremely sluggish, and there's often a slight delay between when I press a button and when he actually does something. Such a delay can be a massive headache when being attacked from behind does 200% damage, or when I need to throw a bomb to stop an incoming group of Rotfiends.

Worse still, the game has a nasty habit of spiking the difficulty, especially when facing multiple enemies. When up against a large group, there will inevitably be atonof running around in circles using ranged attacks and bombs (a practice commonly known as kiting), which gets oldvery fast

Destructoid

The first thing you'll notice withThe Witcher 2is that its combat is utterlyridiculous. Roleplaying games always risk sporting an imbalanced fighting system that sees a game get easier as the player levels up, but nowhere has this problem been more prevalent than here. Geralt of Rivia, the titular Witcher, starts off pathetically weak and unable to properly defend himself, an issue that's not helped by the broken targeting system, unresponsive controls, and the aggressive enemies that surround our hero and attack from all angles -- you can't even parry multiple enemies without unlocking it on the character skill chart, and even then it doesn't always work.

Yet, by the time the game ends, you'll be cleaving through enemies like butter. If you spam your shield spell and unlock finishing moves, regular fights go from almost impossible to an insulting joke

Edge

When the combat is hard, it's primarily for usability reasons. Once you're allowed to fix it through new talents, it becomes almost trivial. It's reasonably satisfying to watch, and spells, bombs and traps add some worthwhile twists, but for an RPG that doesn't let you choose a **** it's conspicuous that the one you're stuck with never really gets interesting.

PCGAMER

The new combat system is a more mixed bag. As before, the gimmick is that you use a steel sword against humans, a silver one against monsters, along with several simple magic spells to stun, burn and otherwise tip the balance in your favour. Between fights, you mix magic potions to adjust your stats in various directions, and lay down traps. Instead of pointing and selecting like before though, every attack is a direct interaction with the game: mouse-clicks for fast and slow strikes, and hotkeys to hurl magic and bombs, parry attacks and roll. This works well against one or two opponents at once, but a mix of long, non-interruptible animations and bad targeting can make fighting groups a pain.

NZGAMER

More problematic issues arise with the more mechanical aspects ofThe Witcher 2; those silly little things that make videogames, well... videogames. The game's combat is a mixed bag. It's generally pretty good. There is an easy to understand dynamic between offensive actions and defensive play, and Geralt's special abilities are a welcome third limb. But, at its core,The Witcher 2is a hack and slash; albeit one with an impressive array of upgradeable weaponry.

EUROGAMER

Combat is also the key area where The Witcher 2 falls from greatness.

ACTIONTRIP

Either way, the awkward combat mechanics won't allow for a smooth clash of swords; instead you'll watch as waves of enemies effectively deplete Geralt's health bar in the flash of a witcher's eye. Things get better when you level up, unlock more powerful moves, improve damage, resistance to blows, poison etc. Even with a high-level character and better weapons, the combat rarely proves satisfying

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

First 2 acts are great. Act 3 sucks. It tries to have stuff to do and explore but its just a place to go for the final boss. Kind of a let down. Also the game is too short for me I wanted more

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GeneralShowzer

Some people just have trouble dealing with it.

I can waste time prowling random reviews for qoutes too...but I don't think I care about this discussion or what reviewers like Jim Sterling have to say.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

I thought the story was kind of meh. I liked the Witcher 1 better.

W2 does have some of the best music ever in a video game though.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GeneralShowzer

Mr_Ditters
It was pretty great the sountrack came with the game. What track you like the best ?
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
TW2 fixed things that weren't broken. In Witcher 1, you could take a potion during melee if you needed one - you can't in TW2. Makes no sense at all. QTE for fistfights is one of the dumbest programming ideas ever to be coded in. The mouse worked beautifully for fistfights in the first game, so no reason to change it. It bugs me that I have to use the 360 controller for it.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#44 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

GeneralShowzer

It was pretty great the sountrack came with the game. What track you like the best ?

Track 3. The one the plays when you are in the big battles. Its like a mix of rock and amazon jungle music.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Personally I liked the combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It bugs me that I have to use the 360 controller for it.topsemag55

Why do you have to use it?

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I loved it. Chapter 3 was a bit disappointing though.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 omenodebander

ShimmerMan

AH, hopefully you won't start with the childish insults you spewed on the witcher 2 boards. I and many other others on said board made it clear to you: if you don't like the game, move on to something else and stop acting like your hatred for the game automatically means that we should follow suit.

And now I'm off for another playthrough. Have fun guys

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

The Witcher 2 is far from a terrible game, but people do tend to rate it a little too highly and overlook the game's numerous flaws. For example, dodging while attacking is slow and sluggish. As mentioned, the map and compass are awful. You can't overwrite save games. The inventory screen feels like it was meant for a console controller. Targeting sucks. There are a lot of minor UI issues that stem from the fact that the developers were really developing a game that necessitates the use of a gamepad.

But, these are ultimately minor issues that keep it from being perfect. At its core - the gameplay is serviceable, but the characters, the writing, and the art - are all stellar, compelling and gripping. And those are the elements that count the most, especially in an RPG.

And despite these issues, I still consider TW2 to be my personal GOTY. Guess that alone tells you how much other games didn't grip me all that much this year.

There is plenty of fanboyism abound, no doubt. But TW2 is still a good game, despite the issues. But is it the best game ever? No. I would never rank TW2 as one of the top games I have ever played. In fact, I think Dragon Age: Origins is even better in many respects compared to TW2, with more compelling characters and far better gameplay.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Personally I liked the combat.

Cloud567kar
Same here after the second patch I think it was, before that it was a little slow to dodge or block... I think the people still having issues with that need to drop the settings or something because I didn't have any problems. The Zero Punctuation review is actually pretty funny for TW2 :D even though he does fall over himself with contradictions from one review to another :P.