saddest moments in pc gaming history

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bb0ymc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bb0ymc
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts

for me it had to be the ending to call of duty 4...

it was really hard for me to see gaz getting shot in the head :(

anywayz what do you think the saddest moment in pc gaming history is?

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Dog armour.

Poor console ports to PC, especially GTA4. How could you have screwed that one up.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

The months after the release of Grim Fandango aka "the death of quality adventure gaming".Such a frigginexcellent game, and no one bought it.

Im pretty sure that this has alot to do with Sam n Max 2and Full Throttle 2 getting canceled.And Lucasarts pretty much abandoned adventure games and the PC.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

the end of Half-Life 2: Episode Two

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#5 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

Yeah,Gaz was a great guy:(,I will edit this post when I think of something good,but for now i can only think of frustrating moments,which resolve in sadness:(

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
The end of Team Fortress 2. "No, Heavy, come back!" :cry:
-Stefunny-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Stefunny-
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts
The day Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing was released.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Monkey island 4. Monkey island 3 was one of my favorites and i couldnt stand play MI4 more than 10minutes

iratheous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 iratheous
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts

The release of Deus Ex 2
The release of the PS2
The day my Mom asked me if I could teach her how to play WoW

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Dog armour.

dbd333
Horse armour? :? The release of these games: Deus Ex 2 - Invisible War Hellgate London
Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

When Black Isle Studios shutdown :cry: felt like the end of the world. No more Planescape Torment, no more Baldur's Gate and no more Fallout :cry:.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

The release of the PS2iratheous

This is actually the truth. Because of PS2;

1) We moved away from the "big box" packaging and everyone started using DVD cases instead.

2) Gaming became more casual and mainstream (PS1 caused this too, a bit)

3) Game quality started dropping since everyone could just make a crappy console game and it would sell.

etc.

Also the releases of Xbox and Xbox 360 are some of the most saddest moments in gaming history.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

The tragic end of Ultima series. EA screwed Origin's Ultima IX: Ascension.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clembo1990

[QUOTE="iratheous"]

The release of the PS2HenriH-42

1) We moved away from the "big box" packaging and everyone started using DVD cases instead.

3) Game quality started dropping since everyone could just make a crappy console game and it would sell.

etc.

Also the releases of Xbox and Xbox 360 are some of the most saddest moments in gaming history.

While big box death is a shame, more people are PC gaming now so we get more games, although a few like Ubicrap don't optimise them well the majority of them are superior on PC.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HenriH-42

While big box death is a shame, more people are PC gaming now so we get more games, although a few like Ubicrap don't optimise them well the majority of them are superior on PC.clembo1990

More people gaming on PC doesn't mean that we get better games.

We got way better games in the past when PC gaming was niche.

Nowadays what do we get? Crappy console ports, The Sims and lots of indie adventure/puzzle games.

Gaming was way better when it was unpopular.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
It would have to be the current E3 and release of Deus Ex 2.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clembo1990

[QUOTE="clembo1990"]While big box death is a shame, more people are PC gaming now so we get more games, although a few like Ubicrap don't optimise them well the majority of them are superior on PC.HenriH-42

More people gaming on PC doesn't mean that we get better games.

We got way better games in the past when PC gaming was niche.

Nowadays what do we get? Crappy console ports, The Sims and lots of indie adventure/puzzle games.

Gaming was way better when it was unpopular.

Well you could say we've always had puzzle games and adventure games on the PC. As for the Sims I actually like it, I treat casual games as a break from the hardcore games I play. A lot of people come into PC gaming as casuals and gradually evolve by playing more hardcore games. That's how I started, anyway.
Krolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krolic
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

When Black Isle Studios shutdown :cry: felt like the end of the world. No more Planescape Torment, no more Baldur's Gate and no more Fallout :cry:.

Gamerz1569
While Planescape Torment and Fallout were from Black isle, they had almost nothing to do with anything in the Baldur's Gate saga. That was essentially 100% Bioware.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

No more decent Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games, the only games continuing this quality is Neverwinters Nights 2 and expansions! I want my D&D stuff :(

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jwsoul

[QUOTE="iratheous"]

The release of the PS2HenriH-42

etc.

Facepalm Oh my good god! You know nothing about Console gaming if you think all Console games are easily produced trash! Game quality started dropping? Thats far from the truth, if anything game quality has remained high since the release of PS1 and that generation, yes they had a awful lot of trash titles but man these consoles had a lot of excellent games as well.... 1. We moved away from big box packaging lol what a thing to be bitter about?
shazam_lp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 shazam_lp
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts

One of the saddest moments I've had was when the new Battlefield got released as an XBOX360 exclusive and not on a PC. A Game that was built, made and gained popularity as one of the biggest and best PC FPS Multiplayers in its time. That, makes me really sad and furious at the same time.

Another thing that makes me really sad is the crappy console ports. Starting with Mercenaries 2 down to GTAIV.

One last sad thing is when Remedy sold the IP rights to Rockstart games thus forever ending whatever quality control the Max Payne franchise had. Yeah, there is going to be a Max Payne III, but I'm not expecting any less disappointment than Mark Walburg's movie that sucked on epic proportions.

PC gaming aint dead yet, but it's taking a huge beating.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jwsoul

One of the saddest moments I've had was when the new Battlefield got released as an XBOX360 exclusive and not on a PC. A Game that was built, made and gained popularity as one of the biggest and best PC FPS Multiplayers in its time. That, makes me really sad and furious at the same time.

Another thing that makes me really sad is the crappy console ports. Starting with Mercenaries 2 down to GTAIV.

One last sad thing is when Remedy sold the IP rights to Rockstart games thus forever ending whatever quality control the Max Payne franchise had. Yeah, there is going to be a Max Payne III, but I'm not expecting any less disappointment than Mark Walburg's movie that sucked on epic proportions.

PC gaming aint dead yet, but

shazam_lp
Mate here's an idea, do not buy console ports! You wanna play console games just get one of the major consoles on the market. But yeah Mass Effect 2 is one console port i made the mistake of buying, never again.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jwsoul

I do not buy anything until I pirate it and make sure its worth my money. Trust me, that's not my problem. My problem is the lack of quality... It's not even a console problem because I have a flashed XBOX360 that I run all of these (Anti-PC) games on. I bought and still buy a lot of games that deserve their pricetag, but if companies keep treating me like a thief and keep reinventing the wheel, they're not going to see a dollar out of my pocket.

shazam_lp
No offense mate, but it could be that your going off games! What type of games do you enjoy? In my case its rare i dislike a genre which gives me a HUGE library of games to pick from! Not only that i struggle to see how recent titles like Stalker, DOW2, Crysis Warhead, Street Fighter 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy 12, Witcher, L4D, NeverWinter Nights, Halo 3, are lacking in quality? Ok yeah some are like 3 to 4 years old but in computer game terms and with the current pause in technology available to the public i consider them recent.
shazam_lp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shazam_lp
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts

Want crappy new PC games?

- GTAIV

- STALKER

- FEAR2

- Mercs2

- Battlestations Pacific

- CoD5

- Need For Speed Carbon, ProStreet and Undercover

- Velvet Assassin

- The new World in Conflict (For being extremely short and non-innovative)

All of these games came out in the past year or so. They all lacked quality, they were a mix of repeptiton, crappy ports and they were filled with nothingness.

Games that I enjoyed, played, still play and BOUGHT:

- Crysis and Crysis Warhead

- CoD4

- Left4Dead

- Assassin's Creed

- Burnout Paradise

- World In Conflict (The first one)

- GTAIV, I still bought it.

I don't know what kind of gamer you are, but if you think every single PC game that came out in the past 12 months is good, I think you need to travel back in time to like 2000 or 2001 when PC games were worth it.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jwsoul

Want crappy new PC games?

- GTAIV

- STALKER

- FEAR2

- Mercs2

- Battlestations Pacific

- CoD5

- Need For Speed Carbon, ProStreet and Undercover

- Velvet Assassin

- The new World in Conflict (For being extremely short and non-innovative)

All of these games came out in the past year or so. They all lacked quality, they were a mix of repeptiton, crappy ports and they were filled with nothingness.

Games that I enjoyed, played, still play and BOUGHT:

- Crysis and Crysis Warhead

- CoD4

- Left4Dead

- Assassin's Creed

- Burnout Paradise

- World In Conflict (The first one)

- GTAIV, I still bought it.

I don't know what kind of gamer you are, but if you think every single PC game that came out in the past 12 months is good, I think you need to travel back in time to like 2000 or 2001 when PC games were worth it.

shazam_lp

Hey i didnt say every game was good? i just stated that there are still good games being released, you seemed to be suggesting this is not the case but yet here you are providing a list of games you have recently enjoyed and they all contain high quality relatively new games. Oh and just because you do not like something, dose not make it low quality or bad. I hate sport games but i can still appreciate the effort and a well designed sports game. Oh and Stalker was an excellent FPS, COD5 is also excellent.

Oh and before we get onto this i was gaming on a 486 back in the day and other rubbish PCs before that so yeah i know a thing or 2 about past PC games.

parasitesingle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 parasitesingle
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
I don't think PC games are getting worse, but I do think the types of great games we're getting are different. The adventure genre has literally been reduced to one company still putting out great games and the singleplayer RPG has been almost entirely replaced by the shooter with light RPG elements. Most other genres are generally as strong as ever. I would give the saddest moment to the closure of Troika.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

Unreal Tournament 3.

UT2004 was such an amazing game online, then came the demo of UT3: what a dissapointment, what a sad moment.

Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

Release of Oblivion and Oblivion 2 (AKA Failout 3)

Death of Black Isle

Death of Troika

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HenriH-42

Well you could say we've always had puzzle games and adventure games on the PC. As for the Sims I actually like it, I treat casual games as a break from the hardcore games I play. A lot of people come into PC gaming as casuals and gradually evolve by playing more hardcore games. That's how I started, anyway.clembo1990

Yes but there are very few games on PC anymore aside from those (crap console ports, The Sims / casual stuff, indie adventure/platformer/puzzle games). It's sad since I've always been a PC gamer and I'd want our platform to be treated with a little bit more respect.

Facepalm Oh my good god! You know nothing about Console gaming if you think all Console games are easily produced trash! Game quality started dropping? Thats far from the truth, if anything game quality has remained high since the release of PS1 and that generation, yes they had a awful lot of trash titles but man these consoles had a lot of excellent games as well.... 1. We moved away from big box packaging lol what a thing to be bitter about?jwsoul

Not all of them are, but I'd say that 99.99% of console games do not interest me whatsoever. Game quality has been falling since around 2000-2001, with the release of Xbox and PS2 everyone started making more and more casual games, these days it's HORRIBLE, I'm lucky if I can find 5 games a year worth playing (worth playing doesn't mean they're amazing, amazing games come every 2-3 years)

Regarding bix boxes: It's BS, we get less stuff for bigger price, no manuals or poor/short manuals, no extra stuff and DVD cases just suck arse for games, they're good for movies but not for games. Big boxes gave you more bang for your buck, they made me want to buy the game more, since I get all kinds of extra stuff and they looked cool. Also what a coincidence that games started to suck once we moved away from big boxes eh?

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

[QUOTE="iratheous"]

The release of the PS2jwsoul

etc.

Facepalm Oh my good god! You know nothing about Console gaming if you think all Console games are easily produced trash! Game quality started dropping? Thats far from the truth, if anything game quality has remained high since the release of PS1 and that generation, yes they had a awful lot of trash titles but man these consoles had a lot of excellent games as well.... 1. We moved away from big box packaging lol what a thing to be bitter about?

Yes, game quality did not "start dropping." This is ridiculous, do yourself a favor and go play Silent Hill 2 and 3, MGS2 and 3, Socom, Manhunt, Resident Evil 4, and Red Faction 1. Oh, and then think about the PC titles that were released around and after PS2: HL2, Farcry, Doom 3, Crysis, WOW, Dungeon Siege(1 and 2), Flight Simulators, Max Payne 1 & 2, UT2003 and 2004.

That is just a short list. You may not have had a PS2, or you did, and didn't get the right games; either way, your statement is baseless, as you can see the consoles made great games, and the PC continued to make great games. As for smaller boxes, yes, big boxes were cool, however, the smaller boxes are more economic and save space (can't believe that is your number 1 reason though).

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HenriH-42

Yes, game quality did not "start dropping." This is ridiculous, do yourself a favor and go play Silent Hill 2 and 3, MGS2 and 3, Socom, Manhunt, Resident Evil 4, and Red Faction 1. Oh, and then think about the PC titles that were released around and after PS2: HL2, Farcry, Doom 3, Crysis, WOW, Dungeon Siege(1 and 2), Flight Simulators, Max Payne 1 & 2, UT2003 and 2004.

That is just a short list. You may not have had a PS2, or you did, and didn't get the right games; either way, your statement is baseless, as you can see the consoles made great games, and the PC continued to make great games. As for smaller boxes, yes, big boxes were cool, however, the smaller boxes are more economic and save space (can't believe that is your number 1 reason though).

Erik729

Actually it did, but up until 2004 it wasn't very noticable. I'd say that 2004 was the last truly great year in gaming. 2005-2006 were still okay, 2007-2008 were very MEH and 2009 so far has been ZZZZZzzzzz.

It's not my #1 reason, they weren't in any specific order... Though I really wish that we would've stayed with big boxes... I *HATE* DVD cases.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#35 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
The consumption of Westwood Studios and Origin by EA
chikinlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chikinlad
Member since 2008 • 1167 Posts

broken_bass_bin

yesindeed

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
The death of ensemble studios - the creators of the Age of Empires series.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="Erik729"]

HenriH-42

Actually it did, but up until 2004 it wasn't very noticable. I'd say that 2004 was the last truly great year in gaming. 2005-2006 were still okay, 2007-2008 were very MEH and 2009 so far has been ZZZZZzzzzz.

It's not my #1 reason, they weren't in any specific order... Though I really wish that we would've stayed with big boxes... I *HATE* DVD cases.

yeah, 2009 is Zzzzzz indeed. DoW2, E:TW, SC2, GTA4 to name a few. What's so special about 2004? WoW?
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HenriH-42

yeah, 2009 is Zzzzzz indeed. DoW2, E:TW, SC2, GTA4 to name a few. What's so special about 2004? WoW?F1_2004

DoW2: not interested

E:TW: meh

SC2: never liked Starcraft

GTA4: 2008

2004: Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Vampire Bloodlines, Silent Storm, Thief 3, UT2004, Splinter Cell 2, Painkiller etc.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clembo1990

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]yeah, 2009 is Zzzzzz indeed. DoW2, E:TW, SC2, GTA4 to name a few. What's so special about 2004? WoW?HenriH-42

DoW2: not interested

E:TW: meh

SC2: never liked Starcraft

GTA4: 2008

2004: Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Vampire Bloodlines, Silent Storm, Thief 3, UT2004, Splinter Cell 2, Painkiller etc.

The STALKER 2009 mod was fantastic, I know its not a game but wow. So few games get such treatment nowadays when it comes to big mods like that. IMO 2009 is the best year yet, I can't afford even half of the games I want, and come November I won't even have the time to play them. Even if you were really picky I don't understand how you could not like at least one game released this year :?
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

broken_bass_bin
Was about to say that myself. That ending was not something I was expecting it was great though got me into it.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HenriH-42

The STALKER 2009 mod was fantastic, I know its not a game but wow. So few games get such treatment nowadays when it comes to big mods like that. IMO 2009 is the best year yet, I can't afford even half of the games I want, and come November I won't even have the time to play them. Even if you were really picky I don't understand how you could not like at least one game released this year :?clembo1990

I liked Cryostasis and Necrovision. I'm looking forward to STALKER Call of Pripyat.

Three games, two of which I have already finished several months ago. Looks like a boring year to me.

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Let's not forget peripherals catered to gamers, some of which were plagued with poor quality, to the point where you can buy better quality for a much better item that doesn't have the word 'gamer' on the box.

Like headphones.

Killer NIC cards.

The day that Gamerail went down.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

Definitely the ending of Half-Life 2: Episode Two for me. Sad and powerful.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#45 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

1) The announcement of The Old Republic

2) Silent Storm was not more popular

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

The end of SWG, aka CU and NGE.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#47 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

3) The ridiculous use of acronyms/abbreviations on gaming forums

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Ea buying Westwood!!!
Shullian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shullian
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

the day fallout and baulders gate both died....

tabishsultan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tabishsultan
Member since 2009 • 156 Posts
The end of METAL GEAR SOLID and SNAKE.............