saddest moments in pc gaming history

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

The day SimCity Societies was released. The Day that Duke died was sad too.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

my 2 sadest momments.

fasa studios shutdown.

the virtual boys dissappointment

now the spoiler associated ones (caution contains spoilers)

having to give up the companion cube in portal.. nuff said

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#53 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

In addition to the studios already mentioned... id Software, Raven Soft. and Monolith Productions becoming multi-platform devs. :cry:

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

3) The ridiculous use of acronyms/abbreviations on gaming forums

eclarkdog

Hahahahaha definitely...I'm not the only one then.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="eclarkdog"]

Erik729

Hahahahaha definitely...I'm not the only one then.

far from it.
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#56 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts

for me it had to be the ending to call of duty 4...

it was really hard for me to see gaz getting shot in the head :(

anywayz what do you think the saddest moment in pc gaming history is?

bb0ymc
The saddest? No my friend, it was one of the best. There's only one way to die on this Earth, and that's doing it in a final blaze of glory for your country.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Well, this thread has gotten off course from what the TC meant by, "saddest moments in pc gaming history". TC wasn't asking what games you hate.

For me, the two games that really moved me emotionally were The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. I actually felt emotionally attached to the characters in the games...as much as you can be for a game/movie. They are very well written stories and characters for a video game.

An aside: I'd love to see a game made for the movie, "Re-Cycle". It would be fun to play as the main character in that crazy world.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
[QUOTE="bb0ymc"]

for me it had to be the ending to call of duty 4...

it was really hard for me to see gaz getting shot in the head :(

anywayz what do you think the saddest moment in pc gaming history is?

LTZH
The saddest? No my friend, it was one of the best. There's only one way to die on this Earth, and that's doing it in a final blaze of glory for your country.

it was kinda lame how you were the only one who survives... I would have loved to see Griggs live.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

eclarkdog

That is so on the money. :D

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

Saddest moments for me are:

Half-life 2's release going so badly it made some MMO releases look like a walk in the park and then watching Valve get away with it.

The lame ending to the innovative and groundbreaking Ultima series.

Digital distribution taking hold. I'm a collector. I like to replay favorites from time to time. I'm not convinced digitial distribution allows this after the service closes down.

Unreal Tournament 3. Lame single player campaign, washed out textures, less game types, less enviormental themes, and all the price.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

When Crysis 2 was announced for FOR THE CONSOLES ..................oh and yeah for the PCs, yeah sure whatever, PC what's that?

I was so pissed off on Tuesday after I heard about it the night before............ulgh.............but I've come to terms with it. As long as the PC version is as balls to the wall crazy, just as expansive (I hope console RAM limitations don't make it an issue, otherwise I'll be PISSED), and kicks our computer's asses, I'll be happy. It's just a necessary evil Crytek must endure in order to keep pushing PC hardware as much as possible. It's OK Crytek, I still love you. Just continue to make PC games that really make PCs worth having! :)

And even despite all the multiplatforming, there are alot of really good games for all the systems, but more exclusives would be nice and more originality would be a nice change too. Zenoclash-that's originality. We need more of it. I also suggest people check out Penumbra and Overgrowth and the game before it: Lugaru (THEY ARE MAC AND LINUX COMPATIBLE TOO!).

As for the smaller game boxes, it's not a huge issue. It's potentially more environmentally friendly, though the old trapezoid Tomb Raider boxes are pretty cool.

The advent of Direct X 8.1 as good as it was at creating a real unified API for the developers, it made them in many ways much more narrow minded, leaving OpenGL for more practical software like CAD and such. While not a big market, there are plenty of compitent Macs out their, and many Linux users like playing games on there with Direct X 9.0 emulators. There are custom Linux distros specifically tweaked for gaming and with built in Direct X emulation from the get go. So the abandonment of OpenGL is a sad thing, though it's nice to see it still loved by Id, Epic, and other small development houses who create Linux binaries for Windows versions of games and make them OpenGL compatible.

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

the end of Half-Life 2: Episode Two

BlackFlagX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 BlackFlagX
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts

annoucment of left 4 dead 2 while l4d is barely beta

bb0ymc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 bb0ymc
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts
Ea buying Westwood!!! SF_KiLLaMaN
yeah westwood PWN!!!!!!!!!!1!!!! EA suck BIG TIME
KarlosSultana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KarlosSultana
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
When Oddworld became XBOX exclusive (and subsequently failed) Script-wise, Mass Effect (!!!SPOILER!!!) when you have to choose to save one of the two characters who've been with you since the start of the game and let the other die. It's such an engaging plot with such well-developed characters that I felt real guilt and remorse!
Too right. The original Red Alert had some brilliant writing, acting and cinematography, with a sense of humour that makes me nostalgic to this day. The intro-movie, when the professor travels back in time to put Hitler "out of the vay", was f**king awesome!... and when Gradinko got poisoned... and the CCTV footage of Stalin and his preferred (female) officer about to get it on... and the bit where Tanya pins her lecherous captor under the chair she's been tied to, catches the gun thrown by a friendly marine as he collapses from the bullet he's just taken, and then she unloads the clip into the b@stard's face! Once EA took over, the scripts for the C&C series became cheesy, lowest-common-denominator sh!te. And the gameplay and graphics suffered similarly. It's gone so far downhill I don't care if I never play Red Alert 3 (wow i'm bitter)
having to give up the companion cube in portal..aura_enchanted
LOL P.S. apologies for acronynms :)
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

It would have to be the current E3 and release of Deus Ex 2. chandu83

agree

PerilousWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 PerilousWolf
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts
[QUOTE="KarlosSultana"]When Oddworld became XBOX exclusive (and subsequently failed) Script-wise, Mass Effect (!!!SPOILER!!!) when you have to choose to save one of the two characters who've been with you since the start of the game and let the other die. It's such an engaging plot with such well-developed characters that I felt real guilt and remorse!
Too right. The original Red Alert had some brilliant writing, acting and cinematography, with a sense of humour that makes me nostalgic to this day. The intro-movie, when the professor travels back in time to put Hitler "out of the vay", was f**king awesome!... and when Gradinko got poisoned... and the CCTV footage of Stalin and his preferred (female) officer about to get it on... and the bit where Tanya pins her lecherous captor under the chair she's been tied to, catches the gun thrown by a friendly marine as he collapses from the bullet he's just taken, and then she unloads the clip into the b@stard's face! Once EA took over, the scripts for the C&C series became cheesy, lowest-common-denominator sh!te. And the gameplay and graphics suffered similarly. It's gone so far downhill I don't care if I never play Red Alert 3 (wow i'm bitter)

No offence, but you're completely wrong. I too was sad when EA took over Westwood. However, Command and Conquer: Generals, and the expansion Zero Hour, are some of the most fun, immense and playable games I have ever owned. The multi-player is fantastic and I still play it LAN with freinds sometimes. They really got the gameplay and balance spot on. And I'm sorry "the scripts for the C&C series became cheesy" ? THEY WERE ALWAYS CHEESY. THAT'S WHAT MADE IT AWESOME. The acting was obviously bad, and the storylines so far-fetched and silly, but it had the certain charm that made it all work. So that's my mini rant, sorry to single you out like that. Also, C&C tiberium wars 3 blows ass and Red Alert 3 is ever more disappointing.
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

Duke Nukem forever gets canned?

godofwar2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 godofwar2610
Member since 2008 • 577 Posts

Duke Nukem forever gets canned?

kimkim01
Seconded!
BOO3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BOO3Y
Member since 2009 • 223 Posts
Fallout 3's 'good' ending. And the emperor turning into a dragon in Oblivion, baww.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]yeah, 2009 is Zzzzzz indeed. DoW2, E:TW, SC2, GTA4 to name a few. What's so special about 2004? WoW?HenriH-42

DoW2: not interested

E:TW: meh

SC2: never liked Starcraft

GTA4: 2008

2004: Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Vampire Bloodlines, Silent Storm, Thief 3, UT2004, Splinter Cell 2, Painkiller etc.

lol, a "great year in gaming" isn't defined by what you personally did or didn't like.
Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Angurvadal_88
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts

RIP Black Isle.

agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#75 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts

When Cliffy B said Gears of War 2 isn't coming to the computer. Playing Soldier of Fortune 2 infiltration at 12. I had the package and was about to jump in the helicopter with 20 seconds left and I forgot the jump button. I type what is it, and no one on my team helped me. We lost that round, and I never have been cussed like that on a multiplayer game ever and was kicked off.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#76 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Oblivion, Battlefield 2142, and a host of other bad ports from console, to the superior platform.

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

the end of Half-Life 2: Episode Two

broken_bass_bin

This.

And DNF for lulz.

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

And DNF for lulz.

Anthony01355

I had high hopes for that game!

KarlosSultana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 KarlosSultana
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I thought of another saddest moment: when Uwe Boll wasn't strangled at birth and started making films based on video games. Sign the petition

[QUOTE="KarlosSultana"]When Oddworld became XBOX exclusive (and subsequently failed) Script-wise, Mass Effect (!!!SPOILER!!!) when you have to choose to save one of the two characters who've been with you since the start of the game and let the other die. It's such an engaging plot with such well-developed characters that I felt real guilt and remorse![QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Ea buying Westwood!!!PerilousWolf

No offence, but you're completely wrong. I too was sad when EA took over Westwood. However, Command and Conquer: Generals, and the expansion Zero Hour, are some of the most fun, immense and playable games I have ever owned. The multi-player is fantastic and I still play it LAN with freinds sometimes. They really got the gameplay and balance spot on. And I'm sorry "the scripts for the C&C series became cheesy" ? THEY WERE ALWAYS CHEESY. THAT'S WHAT MADE IT AWESOME. The acting was obviously bad, and the storylines so far-fetched and silly, but it had the certain charm that made it all work. So that's my mini rant, sorry to single you out like that. Also, C&C tiberium wars 3 blows ass and Red Alert 3 is ever more disappointing.

Fair enough. I tell you what, I completely agree with you that the scripts were always cheesy. I didn't explain that very well. I guess what I meant is they used to be cheesy in a good way, because of how they poked fun at themselves, but they became cheesy in a much less clever way. It became bare-bones heroes vs villains without any undercurrent of wit or engaging drama. I suppose basically it lost that certain charm you mention.

Generals I'm afraid I didn't like but I only played single-player so perhaps missed out on its true potential. It seemed too easy and without the storyline/feel of the originals there was nothing to draw me in and I got bored.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

When Black Isle Studios shutdown :cry: felt like the end of the world. No more Planescape Torment, no more Baldur's Gate and no more Fallout :cry:.

Gamerz1569

Bioware Made Baldur's Gate. Black Isle assisted in production.

But Im not sure why your so upset. Almost every single Black Isle Developer went and formed Obsidian Entertainment and they all still work there today and they are making Fallout: New Vegas so you might really see that Old School Fallout Flair be brought back into the new 3D Fallout Universe.

Black Isle is not dead at all.

As for my Sad Moment: Half Life 2: Episode 2 was unreal.

But the Day the Adventure Games died really hurt the PC for me. Lucasarts just stopping everything, and Sierra too. I don't get why they stopped. Adventure Games back in the day were all the best seller games. For me it was the Quest for Glory Series. I played through and beat every single one of those games dozens of times

Lobotomist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#81 Lobotomist
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts
Announcement of L4D2
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

But the Day the Adventure Games died really hurt the PC for me. Lucasarts just stopping everything, and Sierra too. I don't get why they stopped. Adventure Games back in the day were all the best seller games. For me it was the Quest for Glory Series. I played through and beat every single one of those games dozens of times

Zemus
I have long figured out that publishers whine not about making money, but only about making more of it. Adventure games quite simply don't bring you 100 million a year. :(
ralph2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ralph2190
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

Definitely the ending of Half Life 2: Episode 2...

AndreasRoeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#84 AndreasRoeder
Member since 2009 • 93 Posts
Electronic Arts post-2004.