Most Overated Game Designer?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Hi

The subject of overated games comes up a lot but what designer do you think is overated?
My personel pick is Will Wright.....I've never played any game by him that was even halfway compelling....The Sims was like a virtual toy..Sim City 3000..Got tired of it quick too.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
Hi

The subject of overated games comes up a lot but what designer do you think is overated?
My personel pick is Will Wright.....I've never played any game by him that was even halfway compelling....The Sims was like a virtual toy..Sim City 3000..Got tired of it quick too.
ttomm1946

I can't really name one off the bat. I do disagree with you though about Will Wright, the thing I love about his games is what you seem to not like and that's the open endedness of them.

It's like having Legos all over again as a kid when you play his games. You can replay them over and over again and not get the same experience.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I'd say Peter Molyneux, but I think he's pretty much recognized as a has-been at this point. Nobody else really comes to mind.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#4 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

I'd say Peter Molyneux, but I think he's pretty much recognized as a has-been at this point. Nobody else really comes to mind.Alaris83

Yeh he brags about his games sooo much and then they release totally different to what he says and this has happened EVERY TIME. The only kool title which was a "demo" was this thing called "the room" which he announced would never be a game and it's like then why friggin show us it then?

No more lack luster ego titles from him please.

+ u ever notice he always says "I"     "I did this"       "me me me me me" and never "the team did this" and he always talks like he has no team working on these titles :

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

Also Will can't be overrated lol...

The Sims series is probally the biggest selling ever.

Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Shut_Me_Up
Member since 2006 • 810 Posts
Sid Meier.
kooch664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kooch664
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts
I like Will and I love Peter...I don't know what bashing him is all about?  In any case, I'm going to have to go with Sid on this one.  It's not that the games are bad, per se, but they all kind of feel the same to me.  Like Civ and Railroad have the same exact feel to them even though they are totally different.  Just something about his games that doesn't sit well with me
ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ttomm1946
I'd have to disagree that all Sid's games have the same feel..what about Gettysburg?..Totally different than the civ games.
ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

Will Wright is also my pick. I played the original Sim City on the Amiga like mad, 3000 on the PC a bit and that's it.

tomjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tomjacobs
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts

Out of the 3 designers mentioned so far I'd definitely pick Peter Molyneux. Since the slight disappointment of Black&White (even though I acknowledge it was a groundbreaking game and I had a lot of fun with the pet creature), and the utter letdown that was Fable (I tried to finish it twice, but each time uninstalled it in a hurry. I think Fable was an "rpg" for kids who are too young to play Wow), I have lost all faith in him. Like someone said above, he's kind of a has been now.

About Sid Meier's games: they all share the "Sid touch", which is the result of his unique way of developing games. The gameplay is extremely well polished (even if the graphics often aren't) and his games are mostly of the "easy to learn, hard to master" type, which is great by me.

Cheers,

Tom.

SnakeIRye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SnakeIRye
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts
I'm goin with Peter. After hearing about how great B&W could be and then actually playing it... one of the worst experiences in a game.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

[QUOTE="ttomm1946"]Hi

Krall

I can't really name one off the bat. I do disagree with you though about Will Wright, the thing I love about his games is what you seem to not like and that's the open endedness of them.

It's like having Legos all over again as a kid when you play his games. You can replay them over and over again and not get the same experience.

I agree.  Just seems like the Sim franchise just isnt for you, whether its building a city or building a home for a family.

As for me, I gotta say John Romero.  Alright, so he was lead designer on Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein...does that mean he gets a free ride for the rest of his life?  And lets not forget Daikatana.  Last time I looked, he helps makes games for cell phones and is a chairman for the Cyberathlete League.

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ttomm1946
I forgot about Fable...It was a major letdown since a lot of the things like getting a cool name or tatoos and flirting had nothing to do with winning the game...I guess Peter is a good choice too..Never fully delivers what he says he will.
torrentspy1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 torrentspy1992
Member since 2006 • 107 Posts
You overrated great people?, how noob.
rr2Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rr2Real
Member since 2004 • 11416 Posts
More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!monco59
if the graphics were any better in GTA you'd have crap frame rates and Jack Thompson trying to wage world war 3 on the game
Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shut_Me_Up
Member since 2006 • 810 Posts
[QUOTE="rr2Real"] if the graphics were any better in GTA you'd have crap frame rates and Jack Thompson trying to wage world war 3 on the game

In all fairness, the graphics were pretty crap. And SA wasn't as great as everyone seems to think. Good, yes, but ultimately more of the same with a few new flashy features (skill points etc).
Tadmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tadmod
Member since 2006 • 151 Posts
I agree Will Wright has no compeeling games, Spore looks like a pathetic attempt at a game in my opinion
mateuderos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mateuderos
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

1. Peter Molineux (Fable)

2. Chris Taylor (Supreme Commander)

3. Bill Gates (Vista)

Drizzt_xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Drizzt_xx
Member since 2004 • 343 Posts
Hi

ttomm1946
I say...... Gas Powered Games, that Guy who made Dungeon Seige and Supreme Commander basically anyone who puts their frackin name on the frontn of their Game is over-rated :P
cursed_lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cursed_lion
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
i strongly disagree that Will Wright is not overated in my opinion his visions have made the gaming community richer both in quality and in revolutionery changes
ardylicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ardylicious
Member since 2004 • 1107 Posts
Peter Molyneux

Populous
Powermonger
Syndicate
Flood
Black & white
Dungeon keeper
Magic carpet
Fable
Movies

Its true Molyneux is very much a PR man, but the games he has helped to create are some of the most innovative and greatest games ever. Overrated?? I don't think so.
Will wright and Sid meier are also legends. The industry needs innovation not run and jump games. We have to admire these for even staying in the industry at a time when piracy is killing it.

My overrated developers would be Blizzard.

Although they have created great game communities the games are multiplayer based. As for single player they can't hold up with TA and Baldurs gate.
When diablo and diablo 2 was released they only hit 70-80% back then... They have added nothing to creativity but endless linear mulitplayer games....

Britesparc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Britesparc
Member since 2003 • 340 Posts

Peter Molyneux

Populous
Powermonger
Syndicate
Flood
Black & white
Dungeon keeper
Magic carpet
Fable
Movies

Its true Molyneux is very much a PR man, but the games he has helped to create are some of the most innovative and greatest games ever. Overrated?? I don't think so.
Will wright and Sid meier are also legends. The industry needs innovation not run and jump games. We have to admire these for even staying in the industry at a time when piracy is killing it.
ardylicious

Thank God for that, I was beginning to think I was the only person who still thought Peter Molyneux was ace! OK, he has over-promised in the past, but he has made some cast-iron solid-gold games, and if he can pull off what he's trying to do in Fable 2, then that could very well be his masterpiece.

As for who is over-rated? I don't know, although I've been a bit disappointed with id recently. Doom III was interesting and atmospheric, but it did feel sort of a step back in a way. I'd much rather they tried to do something different, rather than become an engine factory (and even then they don't seem to be as successful as the Unreal guys).

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
valve?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

valve?Artosa

lol I will assume the question mark means youre being sarcastic.  What has Valve done that hasnt been short of amazing?  Nothing!

Halflife?  Brilliant
Halflife 2?  Almost as brilliant as Halflife 1
Episode 1? Short, yes, but very cool and fun game.
Steam?  The ideal model for every digital distribution system.  Mainstream games, independent games, mods, demos, automatic patches...sure, it takes an extra 30 seconds to start your game [and that MUST be a valid reason to hate Steam, right?] but wtf, it works great!

You may not like Valve, and thats fine, but they deserve every ounce of credit they get and more.

Spoken like a true fanboy, eh wot?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Sid Meier.Shut_Me_Up

I don't know if he's overrated but I haven't been able to connect with his games so far. And I must admit, I get tired of everyone kissing his butt and seemingly automatically giving AAA to any game that bears his name.

Oh by the way Shut_Me_Up, those are some great albums in your Sig.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts

[QUOTE="Artosa"]valve?mrbojangles25

lol I will assume the question mark means youre being sarcastic.  What has Valve done that hasnt been short of amazing?  Nothing!

Halflife?  Brilliant
Halflife 2?  Almost as brilliant as Halflife 1
Episode 1? Short, yes, but very cool and fun game.
Steam?  The ideal model for every digital distribution system.  Mainstream games, independent games, mods, demos, automatic patches...sure, it takes an extra 30 seconds to start your game [and that MUST be a valid reason to hate Steam, right?] but wtf, it works great!

You may not like Valve, and thats fine, but they deserve every ounce of credit they get and more.

Spoken like a true fanboy, eh wot?

well half life 2 was decent but overated. steam is good, hl1 is the best
P_unit_131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 P_unit_131
Member since 2004 • 489 Posts
 the whole bungie company secret keeping dinks
P_unit_131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 P_unit_131
Member since 2004 • 489 Posts

[QUOTE="Shut_Me_Up"]Sid Meier.AFBrat77

And I must admit, I get tired of everyone kissing his butt and seemingly automatically giving AAA to any game that bears his name.

talk about kissing butt
necbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 necbone
Member since 2004 • 304 Posts
you guys are dumb, how are yall going to hate on people that are making games for us to play...why not hate on the publishers that make these designers/developers rush their products...

i blame publishers for sucking, i blame technology for slackin, and i blame usa govt in not giving enough money to nasa so we can do some space exploration....

btw, black and white 1 and 2 are very fun games....
serpent_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 serpent_jack
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

Chris Taylor. His games are all unimaginative and full of cliches. I must admit he does break some grounds on the technological level, though

Total Annhiliation: Cyborg vs cyborgs and transfer of consciousness from flesh to machine! That's old even for 1997 standard. It's true it features 3D units but basically that's it. The resource gathering and almost identical arsenals for both sides mean the battle is guaranteed to fight to a stand still. And I find myself playing on the radar more than on the battlefield

Dungeon Siege: The bad guy got the bad weapon and now the good guy must stop him with the good weapon. Well, I don't think I need to talk too much about the story and setting of Dungeon Siege. The seamless world is cool, but graphics cast aside it's just a Diablo clone.

Supreme Commander: Same as TA, except this time we have extinct, green scaly aliens! "The way!" (Why not "the force"?)

I've played all of these games and all except Dungeon Siege are enjoyable, but I don't think they are that ground breaking as people claim. They are just... showy.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts
[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

[QUOTE="Shut_Me_Up"]Sid Meier.P_unit_131

And I must admit, I get tired of everyone kissing his butt and seemingly automatically giving AAA to any game that bears his name.

talk about kissing butt

I knew someone was gonna say er write that ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I forgot about Fable...It was a major letdown since a lot of the things like getting a cool name or tatoos and flirting had nothing to do with winning the game...I guess Peter is a good choice too..Never fully delivers what he says he will.
ttomm1946

Yeah but he has had some great series.. Like Dungeon Keeper series..

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
I'd have to disagree that all Sid's games have the same feel..what about Gettysburg?..Totally different than the civ games.ttomm1946

And SimGolf is way off the beaten path, I'd call it a gem :)

Also not everyone of Sid's games get high scores based on name alone. CivCity:Rome got hammered at 6.6 here and the uninspired Railroads scored an 8.1. Though I'm not sure just how much he has to do with those games anymore.
ChocoKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChocoKat
Member since 2006 • 319 Posts
John D. Carmack II
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts
Hi

ttomm1946
It's a tie: Valve and ID. They are considered the leaders of the FPS industry, but neither has released a revolutionary title since Half-Life 1 and Doom 2.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!monco59

Learning to swim was pretty annoying. I only ate once during the game and that was for the one tutorial mission, so I don't know what you're talking about there.
Jatta-Raso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jatta-Raso
Member since 2004 • 675 Posts
Peter Molyneux

Populous
Powermonger
Syndicate
Flood
Black & white
Dungeon keeper
Magic carpet
Fable
Movies

My overrated developers would be Blizzard.

Although they have created great game communities the games are multiplayer based. As for single player they can't hold up with TA and Baldurs gate.
When diablo and diablo 2 was released they only hit 70-80% back then... They have added nothing to creativity but endless linear mulitplayer games....

ardylicious

not to be harsh but that's the dumbest thing to be said, and i mean the dumbest. no ofense but you really are that dumb. are your sources living in Saturn? 'cause the videogames industry has never been stronger, it just grows every year, in a short while it will top the music industry and become nº1 entertainement business in the world.

i just can't figure out how come some poeple don't even have a clue on this facts. the hype, the race between ATI and Nvidia, new videoboards every 3 months, the comp shows, press realeses etc etc ...those are too much facts to be ingored!

well dumbness is cost-free...
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
John D. Carmack II ChocoKat
I would have to agree somewhat. Sure the technology he created for his games was superb, but the games themselves (except Doom and Doom2) were a bit blah for me when released. He has great programming skills, but his game creating skills need a lift.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
Game designers aren't overated often. Still Chris Taylor is overated and Carmack for his games.

Will Wright is far from it. That guy is just a genius, He's going to save the pc gaming industry with spore :)
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Rofl the pc indistry isnt dead...There still great people making good games..We have as much developers if not more making games now..Than we did a few years back..Every one knows it takes 3-4 years to develope good pc games..Its why we dont get games like consoles every year...When we do get games though we get games like crysis,spore,hellgate london an a few others...

Also the pc indistry is changing...

Now shouldnt this topic be....What developer do you miss that is long dead?Who would you like to see back from the grave...

dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
The Final Fantasy guy.
Drunkentig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Drunkentig3r
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
Peter Molyneux-don't get me wrong, he's good at what he does, but problem with him is that he over-exaggerates everything about his soon to be released or currently in-development game, then fails to deliver (or at least delivers a weaker product than what he promised). Remember the grand announcements and plans he had for Black & White 2? Guess how that panned out. To me, he's like Donald Trump; to him, everything he has in development seems like a work of art.

But then again, I could be talking complete utter crap :)
mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mindbender244
Member since 2003 • 861 Posts

agreed
serpent_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 serpent_jack
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

[QUOTE="ttomm1946"]I'd have to disagree that all Sid's games have the same feel..what about Gettysburg?..Totally different than the civ games.Krall

And SimGolf is way off the beaten path, I'd call it a gem :)

Also not everyone of Sid's games get high scores based on name alone. CivCity:Rome got hammered at 6.6 here and the uninspired Railroads scored an 8.1. Though I'm not sure just how much he has to do with those games anymore.

I though CivCity Rome wasnt developed by Sid Meier? Not even Firaxis? It was developed by Firefly, the studio behind Stronghold. I think the role of Firaxis in CivCity is kind of like that of ID in Quake 4 (so Firefly will be Raven), more like consultation and inspiration.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts
In defense of San Andreas, learning to swim took me a grand total of 7 seconds. And needing to eat ever 20 minutes? I had to eat about 4 times throughout the entire story. And then maybe once every 2 weeks or so while screwing around after that. And besides that, Rockstar revived themselves with Bully. That's truly one of the greatest achievements of this video game generation. As for my most overrated... Not a designer but a developer, I guess. Bethesda. Seriously. Sure, they make absolutely massive RPGs with top-of-the-line graphics, but they spend about 5 minutes optimizing. Oblivion is quite possibly the most buggy, glitchy, and terribly optimized game that has ever been on my harddrive. Rivaled only by Morrowind.
vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 vitz3
Member since 2004 • 1884 Posts
Will Wright is simply a genius. He actually credits his team and is pretty humble when he speaks. I made it a life rule to never trust a Peter M. I will never trust anything they say. Whether it's Peter Molyneux, Peter Moore, or the mayor of my town Peter Martselos. Simple life rule really.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
American Mcgee

Alice looked pretty
Scrapland was decent
Bad Day LA was bad