Most Overated Game Designer?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!monco59

Since GTA 3 they added motorcycles, helicopters, airplanes(that you could actually fly), got big name actors, licensed popular music, larger gameworld, stealth missions, you can play pool, 80's arcade games and poker. They addressed the complaints about not being able to swim which isnt hard to learn and instead of having to go back to your hideout or hunt down a health you can simply go to a resturaunt. No outdoor loading, mantling, dual wielding and light rpg elements as well.

PS2 + open world + fast moving vehicles = bad graphics. Games like this will always be behind in the graphics dept until we reach photorealism.

briggsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 briggsxxx
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts
Sid meir -
Ginni_patpatia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Ginni_patpatia
Member since 2003 • 67 Posts
I don't think anyone will like the same designer cause it all comes to your personal taste in the game, not the designer itself.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#54 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="monco59"]More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!Cranler

Since GTA 3 they added motorcycles, helicopters, airplanes(that you could actually fly), got big name actors, licensed popular music, larger gameworld, stealth missions, you can play pool, 80's arcade games and poker. They addressed the complaints about not being able to swim which isnt hard to learn and instead of having to go back to your hideout or hunt down a health you can simply go to a resturaunt. No outdoor loading, mantling, dual wielding and light rpg elements as well.

PS2 + open world + fast moving vehicles = bad graphics. Games like this will always be behind in the graphics dept until we reach photorealism.

Those are all minor additions. They have never actually added something new or exciting into the gameplay. Since GTAIII it's been the same clunky targeting system, same graphical glitches etc. You can't seriously say they deserve all the praise they get by simply adding airplanes into a game? What about actually making the game playable?
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="monco59"]More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!monco59

PS2 + open world + fast moving vehicles = bad graphics. Games like this will always be behind in the graphics dept until we reach photorealism.

Those are all minor additions. They have never actually added something new or exciting into the gameplay. Since GTAIII it's been the same clunky targeting system, same graphical glitches etc. You can't seriously say they deserve all the praise they get by simply adding airplanes into a game? What about actually making the game playable?

Look at Graw 2, Halo 2, Oblivion. They all have less additions than the GTA sequels. I forgot they also added robbery and more melee moves in the sequels. They could have made Vice City just a Miami version of GTA 3 but even without any competition in the new genre they made quite a few additions to the game.

This is a pc forum. So you shouldnt be commenting on the targeting system which isnt used in the pc version. Never had any graphical glitches on the pc versions either.

Vice City is the 2nd highest rated pc game of all time. San Andreas is 13th.

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#56 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
[QUOTE="monco59"][QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="monco59"]More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!Cranler

Look at Graw 2, Halo 2, Oblivion. They all have less additions than the GTA sequels. I forgot they also added robbery and more melee moves in the sequels. They could have made Vice City just a Miami version of GTA 3 but even without any competition in the new genre they made quite a few additions to the game.

This is a pc forum. So you shouldnt be commenting on the targeting system which isnt used in the pc version. Never had any graphical glitches on the pc versions either.

We are still talking about developers, are we not? And if I shouldn't bring up the targeting, why did you bring up console games like GRAW 2 and Halo 2? Sheesh, what a Rockstar-fanboy...

And you just proved my point as well. Vice City is the 2nd highest rated pc game of all time? VICE CITY??? If that isn't overrated, I don't know what is... 

PutU2REM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 PutU2REM
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

[QUOTE="ChocoKat"]John D. Carmack II the_ChEeSe_mAn2
I would have to agree somewhat. Sure the technology he created for his games was superb, but the games themselves (except Doom and Doom2) were a bit blah for me when released. He has great programming skills, but his game creating skills need a lift.

Thank you. Sid Meier, Peter Molyneaux, and Will Wright have all released titles revolutionary for their gameplay, and not just their graphics. Peter Molyneaux developed the "god game," Will Wright developed what I'll call the "modeling game" (like another guy said, it's playing with Legos), and Sid Meier pioneered the large-scale, turn-based game that led to other greats like Masters of Orion and the current Galactic Civilizations.

Carmack, on the other hand, has done zilch. When it comes right down to it, Wolfenstein and Doom were little different mechanically from top-down shooters, and Quake wasn't all that different from Dark Forces. And as final proof that Carmack can't design a game to save his life, I give you Doom 3.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="monco59"][QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="monco59"]More of a developer, but they still have designers up at Rockstar. Their resume consists of repetition, repetition and some more repetition. They effectively stopped designing games after GTA3, and just let the name sell copies. San Andreas was the last straw. Who wants to spend their time learning how to swim in a video game, in order to be able to do a mission? Or having to have to eat every 20 minutes at Cluckin' Bell. Damn that game was stupid... And don't get me started on the graphics!monco59

Look at Graw 2, Halo 2, Oblivion. They all have less additions than the GTA sequels. I forgot they also added robbery and more melee moves in the sequels. They could have made Vice City just a Miami version of GTA 3 but even without any competition in the new genre they made quite a few additions to the game.

This is a pc forum. So you shouldnt be commenting on the targeting system which isnt used in the pc version. Never had any graphical glitches on the pc versions either.

We are still talking about developers, are we not? And if I shouldn't bring up the targeting, why did you bring up console games like GRAW 2 and Halo 2? Sheesh, what a Rockstar-fanboy...

And you just proved my point as well. Vice City is the 2nd highest rated pc game of all time? VICE CITY??? If that isn't overrated, I don't know what is... 

Both games will be coming to pc soon and we know they both have very few changes compared to the 1st.

Its rated so high because it improved upon one of the most revolutionary games ever. They put a lot of the money they made off GTA 3 into Vice City.

Name a sequel that has more additions and was designed around the same hardware than the GTA franchise.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Blizzard, as of late.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'd have to vote John Carmack as well. He can code great gaming engines(and also conveniently codes them to use OpenGL and release the source code several years later so that we can port said engines to every computing platform in existence), but his latest works don't deviate much from the typical FPS rut. Peter Molyneux...I can't comment on his works at Lionhead Studios, but Magic Carpet and its sequel are some of the best games ever. Dungeon Keeper was also great. Those two series alone keep me from labeling him overrated.
briggsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 briggsxxx

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="ChocoKat"]John D. Carmack II PutU2REM

I would have to agree somewhat. Sure the technology he created for his games was superb, but the games themselves (except Doom and Doom2) were a bit blah for me when released. He has great programming skills, but his game creating skills need a lift.

Thank you. Sid Meier, Peter Molyneaux, and Will Wright have all released titles revolutionary for their gameplay, and not just their graphics. Peter Molyneaux developed the "god game," Will Wright developed what I'll call the "modeling game" (like another guy said, it's playing with Legos), and Sid Meier pioneered the large-scale, turn-based game that led to other greats like Masters of Orion and the current Galactic Civilizations.

Carmack, on the other hand, has done zilch. When it comes right down to it, Wolfenstein and Doom were little different mechanically from top-down shooters, and Quake wasn't all that different from Dark Forces. And as final proof that Carmack can't design a game to save his life, I give you Doom 3.

this isnt for you inpaticular , but I quoted you anyways . John carmack Does Not desighn games . Contrary to what people believe , There was special on tv a few yrs back and On Gamespot about this . John only does the programming - the code

briggsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 briggsxxx

this isnt for you inpaticular , but I quoted you anyways . John carmack Does Not desighn games . Contrary to what people believe , There was special on tv a few yrs back and On Gamespot about this . John only does the programming - the code.

weird it cut off the rest of my sentence . so i'll finish it here .

They have other people who do the design and Coloring,texturing,and level design .... john does not design the game itself.

PutU2REM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 PutU2REM
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
They have other people who do the design and Coloring,texturing,and level design .... john does not design the game itself.briggsxxx
Well, then whoever does the design over at id needs to be fired. :P