Microsoft Surface Pro (Jan. 2013): 64GB - $899 & 128GB - $999

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Microsoft confirms Surface with Windows 8 Pro pricing starting at $899 for 64GB version

"It's confirmed in a blog post that the device will start at $899 for the 64GB model, with the 128GB model setting you back $999. Both of those are what's Microsoft's dubbing the "standalone" model, which means you'll get a Surface pen/stylus, but have to shell out extra for a Touch or Type Cover. Both will be available in January (still no specific date yet)."

Link

Xiumph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xiumph
Member since 2012 • 109 Posts

Stupid and lame dumb tablet good for nothing POS.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Stupid and lame dumb TROLLgood for nothing POS.

Xiumph

I agree. :)

That price is better than I thought it would be. Many of the convertable laptops/ultrabooks/tablets that are i5 or higher based run closer to the 1100 mark to start. Only problem is, like all of those the battery life will be on par with a laptop rather than a tablet (5 hours instead of 10).

-Byshop

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

better buy a laptop for the same price than buying that overpriced tablet trash.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Definitley picking one up. I didnt want to pay for the RT version.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

1000$ for that?
lol...
Get a way better x230 for a similar price
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x230/
I mean, it's everything that is, except it's not a tablet.
It's also actually useful and about a thousand times faster. Supports WWAN too.

Maybe it's good if you are artist for drawing.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

1000$ for that?
lol...
Get a way better x230 for a similar price
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x230/
I mean, it's everything that is, except it's not a tablet.
It's also actually useful and about a thousand times faster. Supports WWAN too.

Maybe it's good if you are artist for drawing.

JigglyWiggly_

Surface pro has 1080p resolution, weighs half as much and has a solid state drive. I dont see the big deal, the Surface Pro is a fully functioning laptop. There is literally nothing the Lenovo can do that the Surface Pro cant. Both come equipped with third gen I5 processors and they both have the same amount of ram.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

[QUOTE="Xiumph"]

Stupid and lame dumb TROLLgood for nothing POS.

Byshop

I agree. :)

That price is better than I thought it would be. Many of the convertable laptops/ultrabooks/tablets that are i5 or higher based run closer to the 1100 mark to start. Only problem is, like all of those the battery life will be on par with a laptop rather than a tablet (5 hours instead of 10).

-Byshop

Well it is the choice one have to take. Bad battery life however more things you can do with it because of more powerful hardware, or choose lesser hardware and get better battery life. I really want to try surface pro, but because I recently got a tablet, I won't be buying one.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

Well it is the choice one have to take. Bad battery life however more things you can do with it because of more powerful hardware, or choose lesser hardware and get better battery life. I really want to try surface pro, but because I recently got a tablet, I won't be buying one. horgen123

I split the difference and got a Clover Trail based Samsung tablet. 11.6", s-Pen, Windows 8 Pro 32-bit and still gets 10 hours of battery. Slower than any laptop or i5 but much better than any tablet while still the same size/shape/weight/battery of a tablet.

-Byshop

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#10 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

So it also has an exhaust fan?

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

better than an iPad.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Would rather have an ultra-portable (or 2) for that price.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Would rather have an ultra-portable (or 2) for that price.General_X

Find me a 1080p, 2 pound, with an activie digitizer ultra-portable for the same price.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

So it also has an exhaust fan?

Gambler_3

All the i5 tabs have active cooling. Most models are supposedly pretty quiet though (like you have to put your ear right up to it to hear the fan).

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

better than an iPad.

jakes456
OMFG. Jakes actually said something that makes sense for once. /faints
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

But it has intel HD graphics. :(

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gambler_3

Eh....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3707716/microsoft-surface-pro-half-battery-life-rt

So typical laptop battery life lol.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

But it has intel HD graphics. :(

Gambler_3
Can't tell if sarcasm or doesn't know what he is talking about....

Eh....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3707716/microsoft-surface-pro-half-battery-life-rt

So typical laptop battery life lol.

Gambler_3
Well of course. The RT is a Tablet, the Pro is a laptop.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 General_X

[QUOTE="General_X"]Would rather have an ultra-portable (or 2) for that price.XaosII

Find me a 1080p, 2 pound, with an activie digitizer ultra-portable for the same price.

Those just sound like fluff to me. I can get a device with the same or better functionality for half the price. Though I'm the first to admist I'm leary against the tablet form-factor and would take a laptop any day of the week. Something like this would offer better productivity and would be just as good for content consumption as a tablet.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="General_X"]Would rather have an ultra-portable (or 2) for that price.General_X

Those just sound like fluff to me. I can get a device with the same or better functionality for half the price. Though I'm the first to admist I'm leary against the tablet form-factor and would take a laptop any day of the week. Something like this would offer better productivity and would be just as good for content consumption as a tablet.

Acer...
lol
their build quality is unbelievably bad
stay away
lcds are also always terrible

also netbooks are pretty useless.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

Can't tell if sarcasm or doesn't know what he is talking about....

Well of course. The RT is a Tablet, the Pro is a laptop.FelipeInside

Oh so its you again. :roll:

Ofcourse its a laptop and a horribly over priced one at that. All it has going for is the IPS screen but I am sure we are going to see more of those with the windows 8 laptops.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 General_X

[QUOTE="General_X"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

JigglyWiggly_

Acer...
lol
their build quality is unbelievably bad
stay away
lcds are also always terrible

also netbooks are pretty useless.

Well so far my Acer laptop has lasted longer than my Asus did.... And in a battle of usability, I'd take the netbook over the tablet any day of the week. They can surf full websites, run all standard Windows programs, play any digital media are expandable with several usb ports, always have a functional keyboard, etc. etc.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Can't tell if sarcasm or doesn't know what he is talking about....

Well of course. The RT is a Tablet, the Pro is a laptop.Gambler_3

Oh so its you again. :roll:

Ofcourse its a laptop and a horribly over priced one at that. All it has going for is the IPS screen but I am sure we are going to see more of those with the windows 8 laptops.

Yeah it's me again, whatever that meant. It's a laptop AND tablet all in one, with Full HD, USB3, etc etc. At $1000 that's pretty reasonable. (of course there are cheaper and more expensive models from other brands)
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XaosII

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="General_X"]Would rather have an ultra-portable (or 2) for that price.General_X

So... The device you listed has sub 1080 resolution, weighs more, doesn't have a digitizer, and runs the equivalent of a slowtastic Atom CPU.... And it provides "the same or better functionality."

Who are you trying to kid?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

XaosII

So... The device you listed has sub 1080 resolution, weighs more, doesn't have a digitizer, and runs the equivalent of a slowtastic Atom CPU.... And it provides "the same or better functionality."

I think he is just confused. He probably is comparing the Acer to the Windows Surface RT, not the PRO.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 General_X

XaosII

Those just sound like fluff to me. I can get a device with the same or better functionality for half the price. Though I'm the first to admist I'm leary against the tablet form-factor and would take a laptop any day of the week. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215873" title="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215873">Something like this would offer better productivity and would be just as good for content consumption as a tablet.

And I ask you, what functionality can the Surface Pro do that the Netbook cannot, and if the only thing is touch screen and higher resolution for twice the price color me unimpressed. I will say that I can see where the Surface Pro might fill a niche for artists on the go that absolutely NEED to be able to run Photoshop and draw digitally on the go, but most people would be better served getting a more powerful desktop and a Wacom.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
I know you all secretly want this lol
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

I know you all secretly want this loldarksusperia

That looks very nice, and it's been getting good reviews too.

I just see it a lot more breakable than the Surface, lol....

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XaosII

And I ask you, what functionality can the Surface Pro do that the Netbook cannot, and if the only thing is touch screen and higher resolution for twice the price color me unimpressed.General_X

Well for starters: actually write notes. I have an HP Touchsmart tm2t convertible laptop. Since i've purchased it, i no longer need to carry arund notebooks for school, including my math and engineering classes - subjects that are normally impossible to simply type up notes with. The Wacom digitizer isn't like those crappy touch stylus for the iPad; They are magnetic and can support hundreds of levels of pressure sensitivity.

And of course, especially when used as writing surface, an IPS screen is a must-have given the far more extreme viewing angle.

It has an i5 CPU so it can actually run far more content creation programs than that dinky little C-60 ever could. A C-60 chokes up under heavy flash playback, and i would know, i use it to run my file server. Photoshop, Visual Studio, and other programs of the like? Forget it.

Unless your argument is "since it runs the internet, why would anyone buy a laptop over $300," then im pretty sure you know the value of a high performance laptop. And if that *is* your argument, then its pretty dumb.

In any kind of performance or usability testing, a Surface Pro would run circles around a netbook.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.AmazonTreeBoa

Why do people say it's overpriced?

Find me a Tablet/Laptop with an i5, Full HD Screen, USB3, Windows 8 Pro and the other features at a much cheaper price than $900.

Most Laptop/Tablets are around that price, some much higher.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 General_X

[QUOTE="General_X"]And I ask you, what functionality can the Surface Pro do that the Netbook cannot, and if the only thing is touch screen and higher resolution for twice the price color me unimpressed.XaosII

Well for starters: actually write notes. I have an HP Touchsmart tm2t convertible laptop. Since i've purchased it, i no longer need to carry arund notebooks for school, including my math and engineering classes - subjects that are normally impossible to simply type up notes with. The Wacom digitizer isn't like those crappy touch stylus for the iPad; They are magnetic and can support hundreds of levels of pressure sensitivity.

And of course, especially when used as writing surface, an IPS screen is a must-have given the far more extreme viewing angle.

It has an i5 CPU so it can actually run far more content creation programs than that dinky little C-60 ever could. A C-60 chokes up under heavy flash playback, and i would know, i use it to run my file server. Photoshop, Visual Studio, and other programs of the like? Forget it.

Unless your argument is "since it runs the internet, why would anyone buy a laptop over $300," then im pretty sure you know the value of a high performance laptop. And if that *is* your argument, then its pretty dumb.

In any kind of performance or usability testing, a Surface Pro would run circles around a netbook.

I think we have two different ideas of mobility computing and that's fine. Most of my mobile needs are best served by a web browsing machine, since if I have to do anything heavy I do it on my desktop which is far more competent than ANY mobile device. But my needs aren't the same as others. I took all my notes by hand in College because I knew I'd be too distracted by the internet to pay attention during lecture, and I never really NEEDED to do anything on the go that my desktop couldn't do at home (rendering, photoshop, and such). I've played around with my mom's netbook (an old one from like 2008) and it does everything I'd really need an ultra-mobile device to do, I've never NEEDED to run Photoshop on a $900 tablet, my $600 laptop does that much better. Like I said before in my edited post, I can't see very many people NEEDING the abilities of the Surface Pro when a netbook can offer the same functionality that most people would use for half the price (Internet browsing, content consumption, word processing). The Surface Pro is an interesting niche device I'll give you that, and it's capabilities in it's form factor are fairly impressive. But I highly question its usefulness for the general population.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside
@General_X: I understand that you are seeing things from YOUR side of view, but there is a reason why there are different categories (netbook, laptop, desktop replacement). Some are meant for some uses, other are meant for others. A friend of mine works on his laptop with Dreamweaver and Photoshop on the train, a Netbook just doesn't cut it. Also, lots of people seem to miss one of the BIG features of Surface Pro, which is Office Business. You can't use the Office RT for Business or Domain, the Surface Pro will be a big hit against the iPad in the workforce just because of the added benefits.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.FelipeInside

Find me a Tablet/Laptop with an i5, Full HD Screen, USB3, Windows 8 Pro and the other features at a much cheaper price than $900.

:lol: I am not running all over the net to find one for you pal. It's over priced. Deal with it. All laptops are over priced. Also windows 8......really? Dude, windows 8 sucks.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.AmazonTreeBoa

:lol: I am not running all over the net to find one for you pal. It's over priced. Deal with it. All laptops are over priced. Also windows 8......really? Dude, windows 8 sucks.

Ahh, the truth comes out. You think all laptops are overpriced and a hater of Windows 8. Now I understand why you posted what you posted.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I would buy it for much less, but at the price-point. No thanks.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Is this tablet crap actually in demand or is this the newest corporation gimmick? I just can't think of a single reason to buy one of these things over an equivalently priced laptop. This touchscreen fetish is getting a little old...
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.FelipeInside

Go to Newegg's laptop section and there are plenty of laptops with i7s, 500gb+ hard drives, 6gb+ RAM priced around $700. I'm sure at least a couple of them are 1080p - and they have much beefier specs than the Surface and provide much more functionality.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Is this tablet crap actually in demand or is this the newest corporation gimmick? I just can't think of a single reason to buy one of these things over an equivalently priced laptop. This touchscreen fetish is getting a little old...KHAndAnime
I would have agreed with you until I started at university.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

Sony have the Viao Duo, we cant keep them in stock long enough before they sell out. SO POPULAR. its $1498AU and its what we sell when people come in asking for "that windows tab i saw on TV". i5 ultrabook CPU, 4gb ram, 128GB SSD and 1080p display. it even has teh digitiser pen as well.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gambler_3

And lets not forget that the REAL price of this is NOT $900. Nobody in their right mind should get the 64GB version since almost half the space will be taken by OS and preinstalled software. And then the keyboard costs $130. So you are looking at $1130 for this device.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Byshop  Moderator

And lets not forget that the REAL price of this is NOT $900. Nobody in their right mind should get the 64GB version since almost half the space will be taken by OS and preinstalled software. And then the keyboard costs $130. So you are looking at $1130 for this device.

Gambler_3

Your math is way off. The pre-load will consume probably around 15-20GB, not around 32GB. You can also exapnd that capacity cheaply with the SD Card slot.

-Byshop

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Byshop

Your math is way off. The pre-load will consume probably around 15-20GB, not around 32GB. You can also exapnd that capacity cheaply with the SD Card slot.

-Byshop

You cannot install applications on an SD card. Surface RT the dumbed down windows 8 consumes 16GB so there is no way the surface wont be taking more.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Byshop  Moderator

You cannot install applications on an SD card. Surface RT the dumbed down windows 8 consumes 16GB so there is no way the surface wont be taking more.

Gambler_3

A) Of course you can install apps on SD card. What gave you that idea? Besides that you can offload video, music, etc and all the other things that would take up space on a mobile device to SD card as well.

B) I own an MS Store Win 8 tablet and my preload was about 20gig.

-Byshop

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]You cannot install applications on an SD card. Surface RT the dumbed down windows 8 consumes 16GB so there is no way the surface wont be taking more.

Byshop

A) Of course you can install apps on SD card. What gave you that idea? Besides that you can offload video, music, etc and all the other things that would take up space on a mobile device to SD card as well.

B) I own an MS Store Win 8 tablet and my preload was about 20gig.

-Byshop

You cant do that on the surface RT so I would think its the same on the surface pro?

Secondly no SD card can match the speed of an internal HDD let alone an SSD. You will just pointlessly cripple your performance by installing applications in the SD card even if its permitted.

64GB means around 60GB actual space and then you take out 20GB so you are left with 40GB. I wasnt trying to be absolutely precise with my statement of "almost" half the space.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XaosII

You cant do that on the surface RT so I would think its the same on the surface pro?

Secondly no SD card can match the speed of an internal HDD let alone an SSD. You will just pointlessly cripple your performance by installing applications in the SD card even if its permitted.

64GB means around 60GB actual space and then you take out 20GB so you are left with 40GB. I wasnt trying to be absolutely precise with my statement of "almost" half the space.

Gambler_3

The Surgace Pro runs full blown Windows 8, just as if it were any other laptop. You can certainly install an application on an SD drive, or heck, even a USB thumbdrive on any Windows computer.

For games, there may be a noticeable decrease in load speed, but plenty of applications will run just fine off an external data source.

I use a convertible laptop with a 64 SSD running windows 7 for my note taking needs at school. Its not that bad. Hell, i've even got Diablo 3 on it fora bit of light gaming and i've still got space left over after Office, Visual Studios Express Edition, GIMP, and others.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.KHAndAnime

Go to Newegg's laptop section and there are plenty of laptops with i7s, 500gb+ hard drives, 6gb+ RAM priced around $700. I'm sure at least a couple of them are 1080p - and they have much beefier specs than the Surface and provide much more functionality.

Laptops or Laptop/Tablets? Remember, this is a Laptop/Tablet/Touch Cover Hybrid which is a lot lighter than a traditional laptop. As for demand, yes it is. The Surface RT sold out in Canada and UK and there is a lot of hype for pre-ordering for the Surface Pro. Reviews have been mostly positive, after you update the Tablet.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Wow talk about over priced. Seems Microsoft is taking a page from apple's book and charging WAY more than the product is worth.kungfool69

Sony have the Viao Duo, we cant keep them in stock long enough before they sell out. SO POPULAR. its $1498AU and its what we sell when people come in asking for "that windows tab i saw on TV". i5 ultrabook CPU, 4gb ram, 128GB SSD and 1080p display. it even has teh digitiser pen as well.

So is it a tablet as well? And it's $600 more expensive anyway so what's your point?