Microsoft Surface Pro (Jan. 2013): 64GB - $899 & 128GB - $999

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

You cant do that on the surface RT so I would think its the same on the surface pro?

Secondly no SD card can match the speed of an internal HDD let alone an SSD. You will just pointlessly cripple your performance by installing applications in the SD card even if its permitted.

64GB means around 60GB actual space and then you take out 20GB so you are left with 40GB. I wasnt trying to be absolutely precise with my statement of "almost" half the space.

Gambler_3

As xaosll mentioned, that's an incorrect assumption on your part. The difference between the Surface and the Surface Pro that you don't seem to realize is that the Surface runs RT and the Surface Pro runs Windows 8. Windows 8 is Windows 8, regardless of what you are running it on. Anything you can do on a desktop running Windows 8 you can do on a Laptop or Tablet running Windows 8, performance notwithstanding.

While you're right that an SD card isn't as fast as internal Sata based solid state storage by a long shot, that doesn't mean you can't install apps that will run perfectly well on it. I own an Atom based x86 Windows 8 tablet with 64GB of internal storage. I installed a full version of Office 2013 onto a class 10 SD card (also 64GB) that I leave in the tablet full time. Do you know how long Word takes to start loading off of my SD card? About 2-3 seconds. That's hardly "unacceptible" performance.

-Byshop

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#52 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

As xaosll mentioned, that's an incorrect assumption on your part. The difference between the Surface and the Surface Pro that you don't seem to realize is that the Surface runs RT and the Surface Pro runs Windows 8. Windows 8 is Windows 8, regardless of what you are running it on. Anything you can do on a desktop running Windows 8 you can do on a Laptop or Tablet running Windows 8, performance notwithstanding.

While you're right that an SD card isn't as fast as internal Sata based solid state storage by a long shot, that doesn't mean you can't install apps that will run perfectly well on it. I own an Atom based x86 Windows 8 tablet with 64GB of internal storage. I installed a full version of Office 2013 onto a class 10 SD card (also 64GB) that I leave in the tablet full time. Do you know how long Word takes to start loading off of my SD card? About 2-3 seconds. That's hardly "unacceptible" performance.

-Byshop

Byshop

Okay I do know this runs full windows 8 but it kinda escaped me when talking about the SD card.

But I still stand to what I said, no way am I spending $1000 on a tablet and then install applications on a damn SD card. If anyone is serious about using this device(and why else would one buy it?) then I dont see why you would not get the 128GB version instead.

SD card should only be used for media and backups.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Gambler_3

Okay I do know this runs full windows 8 but it kinda escaped me when talking about the SD card.

But I still stand to what I said, no way am I spending $1000 on a tablet and then install applications on a damn SD card. If anyone is serious about using this device(and why else would one buy it?) then I dont see why you would not get the 128GB version instead.

The 64GB version is more than enough for most people. You have to remember that some people just want to use Office, Email, Internet and Facebook on it.... they don't want to install massive applications.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Gambler_3

I would also get the 128 GB version, but generally because if I buy the largest capacity item if it's not upgradable later. However, I'm not going to be getting either Surface. Not because I'm against it, and if I didn't already have three good laptops I would think about it. A tablet should have better battery life than a laptop and so far all the "i" processor based tablets get about 4-5 hours of use max, which is right on par with an ultrabook.

Instead of got a Clover Trail tablet. New Atom based x86 unit that runs full Windows and still gets more than 10 hours of battery. It's no speed demon, it only supports USB 2.0 and there's no internal SATA but when you compare it to an iPad it rocks.

-Byshop

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Why do people say it's overpriced?

Find me a Tablet/Laptop with an i5, Full HD Screen, USB3, Windows 8 Pro and the other features at a much cheaper price than $900.

Most Laptop/Tablets are around that price, some much higher.

FelipeInside

Sony have the Viao Duo, we cant keep them in stock long enough before they sell out. SO POPULAR. its $1498AU and its what we sell when people come in asking for "that windows tab i saw on TV". i5 ultrabook CPU, 4gb ram, 128GB SSD and 1080p display. it even has teh digitiser pen as well.

So is it a tablet as well? And it's $600 more expensive anyway so what's your point?

$1498AU is AUSTRALIAN MONEY, US currency its HECK loads less

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Tablets are an interesting platform, and this hybrid pathway increases my chance of getting one: portability with hardware quality. I'll probably not get it for the same reason I don't get Apple products, though: OS.

With that said, for that price I'd much rather buy a high-quality, low-weight ultrabook.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Its really not that overpriced. Its really in direct compitition with the 11" macbook air. What people dont realize is this isnt for everyone. This is for someone that wants a tablet with occasional laptop functionality and doesnt need a full laptop / desktop. It's NOT going to be for everyone, and in terms of price, all the "ultraportables" around those specs have similar pricing. And, the 11" air with the exact same specs is more expensive and has the SAME amount of battery life (~5 hours). People are just hating cause thats all they know.

This is a cool product, is it for me? No. Is it for everybody? No. But for the people that it is for, im sure they would love it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="kungfool69"]

Sony have the Viao Duo, we cant keep them in stock long enough before they sell out. SO POPULAR. its $1498AU and its what we sell when people come in asking for "that windows tab i saw on TV". i5 ultrabook CPU, 4gb ram, 128GB SSD and 1080p display. it even has teh digitiser pen as well.

kungfool69

So is it a tablet as well? And it's $600 more expensive anyway so what's your point?

The Australian Dollar is nearly par on par with the US. Even if it's a bit cheaper it will still cost $300-$500 more expensive. Sony has some very nice products, but Sony has always been overpriced so the difference isn't much.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#59 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] So is it a tablet as well? And it's $600 more expensive anyway so what's your point?FelipeInside

The Australian Dollar is nearly par on par with the US. Even if it's a bit cheaper it will still cost $300-$500 more expensive. Sony has some very nice products, but Sony has always been overpriced so the difference isn't much.

Nice, but not nicer than other offerings. And like you said, overpriced and unattractive.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
The price is actually a bit lower than I was expecting, and as tempting as it is, my one tablet computer purchase rule still stands: No Wacom, no sale. I don't know what Microsoft is using in the Surface Pro for their active pen digitizer. It's most likely acquired Perceptive Pixel tech. But for it to succeed, it needs to work for all apps that Wacom Penabled tablets do, especially those Win-Tab API-using programs like Photoshop that N-trig DuoSense tablets struggle with. Of course, there's also the matter of just not liking Windows 8 and likely wanting to go back to Windows 7 unless someone also restored the Win7 Tablet Input Panel that didn't suck like Win8's does. I am dead serious about this. (Hey, if we got Classic Shell and Start8 to bring back the Start Menu, maybe someone will do the same for the TIP.) In the end, I'll probably just replace my HP EliteBook 2730p with a Fujitsu Lifebook T901 as soon as I can afford one with the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 4200M (yes, I know, weak sauce, but at least it won't suck at OpenGL like everything Intel does) GPU option. 1280x800 res aside (1920x1200 or even 2560x1600 would be great), it's everything I want in a Tablet PC.