Just notified to upgrade to Windows 10, Anybody else?

• 54 results
RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

Did anybody else upgrade and try it out?

I'll upgrade my desktop tho just not windows 7 on my laptop.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Yeah, I had the little notification show up on my taskbar as well. Gonna ignore it until Windows 10 has been out a bit and proven itself.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

Yeah, I had the little notification show up on my taskbar as well. Gonna ignore it until Windows 10 has been out a bit and proven itself.

Same here I'm on my laptop and I never gonna switch, I am kind-of temped to upgrade my 8.1 desktop tho.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

Did anybody else upgrade and try it out?

I'll upgrade my desktop tho just not windows 7 on my laptop.

I haven't received the notification yet (how do u get it?), but I'm guessing it won't install until Win10 is out? (July)

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Yep, signed up. Apparently once available your PC will automatically download it and give you the option to install upon release. Windows 10 is looking good, can't wait.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Didn't get the notification but I've been waiting on W10 to do a proper format of my PC

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Keep in mind if you play in boarderless/windowed, in WIn7 in classic mode you don't get input lag. In Win8 and above, DWM is forced on and you get 1 frame of input lag.

That's reason enough for me to stick to Win7 classic.

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

Can I just use my Windows 8 key to make a fresh Windows 10 installation, without having to go through the upgrade process?

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Alucard1475: I dont think so .

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Signed up. I wonder if this is eligible for a clean install as I don't want to simply upgrade.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@johnd13 said:

Signed up. I wonder if this is eligible for a clean install as I don't want to simply upgrade.

I don't think so, it will probably be the same as when 8 upgraded to 8.1 (or 7 to 8)

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@johnd13 said:

I don't think so, it will probably be the same as when 8 upgraded to 8.1 (or 7 to 8)

Good thing that I can download it from my university then. Going to buy an SSD and install windows 10 there for a smoother experience.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@johnd13 said:

I'm pretty sure I did a clean install after 8, I think I remember that option.

Hope Microsoft let us W10 Preview users enter our W7/8 key somewhere, its a pain going back and installing W8, then download 8.1 and install that, and finally upgrade to W10.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#14  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

just logging out to see how the upgrade goes. acronis has everything backed up nicely so either way i'll be back to let u know how it works out.

edit:

just a notification from MS. not the actual install files. they will "let me know when the download is available".

link they lead you to shows: You’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready later this year. This lets you schedule the installation for a time that’s convenient.

..bastards

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By elessarGObonzo
@FelipeInside said:

I haven't received the notification yet (how do u get it?), but I'm guessing it won't install until Win10 is out? (July)

if you were part of the Tech Preview program then you're automatically signed up for the upgrade. if not, i imagine you will receive email(if you are using a msn account for windows 8) or notification to sign-up through windows update. just got a MS pop-up in notification area this morning to upgrade. check windows update through the day, may show up there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I want to, but I'm afraid to have trouble with my music software and hardware drivers. Have to do some research first.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FelipeInside

@elessarGObonzo said:
@FelipeInside said:

if you were part of the Tech Preview program then you're automatically signed up for the upgrade. if not, i imagine you will receive email(if you are using a msn account for windows 8) or notification to sign-up through windows update. just got a MS pop-up in notification area this morning to upgrade. check windows update through the day, may show up there.

Thanks.

Probably cause I have Windows Updates disabled.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Got the notification, hopefully this means the DX 12 drivers for Nvidia's GTX 500 and 400 series will be out soon.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

July 29th is the official release date for Windows 10. It's definitely coming soon.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Very excited. Kind of tempted to migrate my system to a better drive, first, though...

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 elessarGObonzo

@xantufrog said:

Very excited. Kind of tempted to migrate my system to a better drive, first, though...

@elessarGObonzo said:

just a notification from MS. not the actual install files. they will "let me know when the download is available".

link they lead you to shows: You’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready later this year. This lets you schedule the installation for a time that’s convenient.

..bastards

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i dont trust windows 10 enough to upgrade. Probably i'll try to dual boot with windows 7 if i do get it. Theres a lot of programs i had that didn't run on windows 8 which i needed, so not gonna just simply upgrade and then be like, well im screwed now cause i can't run all my old useful apps and games that ran on windows 7.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By elessarGObonzo

@Yams1980 said:

i dont trust windows 10 enough to upgrade. Probably i'll try to dual boot with windows 7 if i do get it. Theres a lot of programs i had that didn't run on windows 8 which i needed, so not gonna just simply upgrade and then be like, well im screwed now cause i can't run all my old useful apps and games that ran on windows 7.

what games and programs do you have that run on 7 but wouldn't on 8?

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yams1980

@elessarGObonzo said:
@Yams1980 said:

I gave up on windows 8 within a few days of using it so i don't have a long list. But my some programs i use to diagnose problems didn't work like my dpc latency checkers, which i've found really useful in finding hardware that caused sound cracks/drop outs in the past. Also my video securty program Blue Iris crashed constantly on windows 8. I had problems with Dosbox emulation stuttering and sound crackles in some games i ran (used same dosbox config file i had used on windows 7). I had performance problems in my ps2 PCSX2 emulator also.

i didn't have a lot of time to try older games i had, but just ran into so much at the start i figured there was no point using it when windows 7 was more stable for me.

So i play a lot of old games often, so it'll be interesting to test windows 10 out and see if its any better over windows 8 in running those.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By elessarGObonzo

@Yams1980 said:
@elessarGObonzo said:

I gave up on windows 8 within a few days of using it so i don't have a long list. But my some programs i use to diagnose problems didn't work like my dpc latency checkers, which i've found really useful in finding hardware that caused sound cracks/drop outs in the past. Also my video securty program Blue Iris crashed constantly on windows 8. I had problems with Dosbox emulation stuttering and sound crackles in some games i ran (used same dosbox config file i had used on windows 7). I had performance problems in my ps2 PCSX2 emulator also.

i didn't have a lot of time to try older games i had, but just ran into so much at the start i figured there was no point using it when windows 7 was more stable for me.

programs from XP and on worked great with the Compatibility settings configured. one game, Warhammer 40K or maybe part2 wouldn't run because i could never find a patch to bypass it's Games for Windows Live login. others have luckily been easily fixed by Windows itself or the developer updates.

10 is supposed to add a lot in terms of gaming. once it's released you should do a dual-boot and try out your older programs with the new Compatibility settings.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127504 Posts

Yeah I got it as well. Just signed up for it.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Yams1980

@elessarGObonzo said:
@Yams1980 said:
@elessarGObonzo said:

programs from XP and on worked great with the Compatibility settings configured. one game, Warhammer 40K or maybe part2 wouldn't run because i could never find a patch to bypass it's Games for Windows Live login. others have luckily been easily fixed by Windows itself or the developer updates.

10 is supposed to add a lot in terms of gaming. once it's released you should do a dual-boot and try out your older programs with the new Compatibility settings.

ya dual booting is probably the safest option to try out and keeping windows 7 as a backup to switch to if something doesn't work.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I was just going to post this.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

Ya I got it too, I found it odd that you just had to click the sign up and it didn't do anything else, like no confirmation or anything lol.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@elessarGObonzo said:
@Yams1980 said:

I have a weird one. Crysis (DVD-based from Crysis Maximum Edition) ran fine on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (Home Premium) on my laptop. Yet, it would not run on Windows 8.1 Professional on my main desktop gaming PC. I have a feeling it might have something to do with Securerom.

Warhead doesn't require the DVD disc to play and it runs fine on both Windows 8.1 Home Premium/Windows 8.1 Professional.

As for Windows 10 reservations...... I got it too. I'm in no hurry.

Fox_Frozen2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fox_Frozen2014
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Yep, I've signed up for the free upgrade. On a side note if you have an Xbox One I don't think you get to opt out :P. I'm Just going to go with the flow...really want windows 10 to be amazing...but if it fails I've always got my old copy of windows 8 to reinstall.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elessarGObonzo

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I have a weird one. Crysis (DVD-based from Crysis Maximum Edition) ran fine on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (Home Premium) on my laptop. Yet, it would not run on Windows 8.1 Professional on my main desktop gaming PC. I have a feeling it might have something to do with Securerom.

Warhead doesn't require the DVD disc to play and it runs fine on both Windows 8.1 Home Premium/Windows 8.1 Professional.

As for Windows 10 reservations...... I got it too. I'm in no hurry.

normally wouldn't recommend but since you do own the game i would look for a "crack" for Crysis that can bypass the disc check. it's not always safe to dload the cracked files so i would look for one with a lot of good user rating on whichever torrent site. that's one game i have to keep installed and play through at least once a year.

could also try the compatibility settings for 7, 8, or 8.1.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@elessarGObonzo said:

normally wouldn't recommend but since you do own the game i would look for a "crack" for Crysis that can bypass the disc check. it's not always safe to dload the cracked files so i would look for one with a lot of good user rating on whichever torrent site. that's one game i have to keep installed and play through at least once a year.

could also try the compatibility settings for 7, 8, or 8.1.

No need for such measures. I did a detailed check of my laptop and desktop PC. It turned out the older .Net Frameworks were installed in Windows 8.1 Home Premium (laptop) while it was not in Windows 8.1 Professional (desktop PC).

I enabled them in my desktop PC. Still the same problem. Then, I remembered the .Net Frameworks are really important during the installation process. So, I uninstalled Crysis and then reinstalled it. I also enabled Vista SP2 compatibility for good measure. That fixed the problem. And yes. There's the Windows 10 Reservation icon on my Tray.

Windows 10 will not have any bearing on how I use the desktop. So, I can postpone it for much later.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#34 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

I got it this morning. Didn't sign up since they are asking for my email address. Never going to give MS my email, total invasion of privacy. One reason I still run Windows 8.1 under a local account only. I will still get the upgrade, as long as I don't have to provide any details to them.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jun_aka_pekto

@digitm64 said:

I got it this morning. Didn't sign up since they are asking for my email address. Never going to give MS my email, total invasion of privacy. One reason I still run Windows 8.1 under a local account only. I will still get the upgrade, as long as I don't have to provide any details to them.

Good thing I kept my old Hotmail account. That's where all my junk mail/spam go to. He He.

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

Got it as well. I play a lot of older pc games (2002 and some earlier) as well, haven't read much up on how Win10 handles it. I assume about the same as Win8 (not at all)?

Already dual booting Win7 and Ubuntu, might as well partition the drive again...

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

We Have 2 rigs that are almost identical, in the same house. On my rig I received said notification, on her rig she has still yet to.

We are both looking forward to seeing the improvements with DX12, and Windows. However, I still have to wait till several hardware/software developers even support W10 before I move over on my rig, if not I will just have to dual install/boot, and use W10 side for gaming (more than likely on a second ssd). Her rig on the other hand only has to wait for 2.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Actually, my notification isn't whether I want to make reservations for Win 10 or not. It's a notice to tell me it's already reserved.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

I got it as well. I actually didnt realize that it was in my notification bar. Shows how much I pay attention to that area.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69486 Posts

@digitm64 said:

There is an option to skip that step in blue right under the request for email alert.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

I guess I need to be signed in with a Microsoft Account for this to come up?

Cause my 8.1 is set with a local account and nothing has come up yet....

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Yeah but not planning on using it.

I plan on building a new PC in 2016 which will have Win10 but for now I am not that bothered.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@FelipeInside said:

I guess I need to be signed in with a Microsoft Account for this to come up?

Cause my 8.1 is set with a local account and nothing has come up yet....

I also have a local log-in for Windows 8.1 Professional. But, I had used my old Hotmail account to purchase MS Visio 2010 Professional for this PC. Well, that plus the purchase of the OS and Office 2013 Enterprise. All are installed on this PC. However, I never did make an online log-in at all.

My Toshiba NB305-N600 netbook has Windows 7 Starter (Yuck). The Windows 10 Reservation icon popped up after a Windows Update install. I reserved for Windows 10 for it. But, I skipped the email notification.

I can't wait to have Windows 10 on my netbook. Damn Windows 7 Starter wouldn't even let me put in a wallpaper.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

cba. Perhaps when sleep.

RockmasteR-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 1

#45 RockmasteR-_-
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts

@Articuno76: clicking on it won't do anything it will just reserve your copy of Windows 10 and when it's available it will download

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Don't like how they're getting rid of media player.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FelipeInside

@thereal25 said:

Media Player or Media Centre?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:
@thereal25 said:

They aren't getting rid of it, its just renamed to Music, the app does the same thing as media player, it also play's some videos.

The app meant for video playback is called Video.

They just split media player into 2 apps.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@thereal25 said:

They aren't getting rid of it, its just renamed to Music, the app does the same thing as media player, it also play's some videos.

The app meant for video playback is called Video.

They just split media player into 2 apps.

k, thanks for the clarification.

As long as I can still easily watch tv through my comp., I'm happy.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GTR12

@thereal25 said:

k, thanks for the clarification.

As long as I can still easily watch tv through my comp., I'm happy.

Oooo you should have said TV before instead of media...

The W10 TP has another app for film and TV, called film and TV obviously, I'm assuming you mean watching TV through a TV tuner or similar, they are all seperate for whatever reason, its gonna be confusing as you set it up.