Is PC Gaming Dead???

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1redeemer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 1redeemer
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I'm an avid PC gamer and have been gaming for about 9 years. I keep hearing that PC gaming is dead yet, PC tech and components keep advancing. I truly believe that this myth is being circulated by console game producers because they are to cheap to release their game titles minus all the major bugs. Can I get some feedback on if you really think PC gaming is dead (I think Not!). Please comment on this at my sitehttp://PCsByDesign.com

thanks sincerely, jim 8)

P.S. If you are not a PC gamer please don't leave me any crazy comment. Serious PC gamer only!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

PC gaming isn't even close to dead. There are more gaming PC's out there than all the consoles combined. It's usually console fanboys and analysts who go on about this. However console gaming isn't going anywhere

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

PC gaming isn't dead. Anyone claiming otherwise obviously don't know what they're talking about. End of story.

AdamK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AdamK47
Member since 2003 • 1127 Posts

Why can't we leave a comment here? Oh wait, I see what you're doing.

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts

In case you haven't noticed people have been saying "PC gaming is dead, dieing" or "Piracy is killing PC gaming" or something along those lines ever sense consoles came out. PC gaming is not going anywhere anytime soon.

WKS92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WKS92
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts

hell no, i was reading an old copy of pc gamer that said microsoft was debating on weather or not to make another console because pc gaming seemed to be growing faster than before. plus all these game designers want better and better graphics and the pc is the only platform that can be continually upgraded without buying a whole new system.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

BioShock sold more on PC than on consoles.

Empire is ahead of KZ2 and Halo Wars in European charts.

DOW2 topped the charts last month.

Crysis and Stalker both sold over 2.5 millions.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Far from it. For example empires total war is in 1st place in all formats in UK and that is without DD sales taken into account. All the times someone post numbers and claim pc gaming is dead is mostly from NPD which counts only Retail Us sales while digital sales might have overtaken retail ( steam reach 20 million users in 2009 and thats only 1 service there also xfire impulse and others) .Also here in europe in most countries pc gaming is more popular ( germany for example there was an article about gaming in germany and pc was 2nd behind ds but front of 360 ps3 and wii while in russia 75% of game profits come from pc)

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#9 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
PC Gamer magazine in its latest issue, recently sale figures of all of Valve products. The orange box sold 3 million on the PC since its release last year. Nobody ever talks about digital distribution and how almost every major publisher have jumped on the bandwagon. Apparently there is alot of PC games sold on line for publishers to decide to sell their games through Steam or Direct2drive.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I'll just write my honest thoughts. First off, no, PC gaming is not dead. It is, however, changing, in some ways for the better and in some for the worse. We are seeing some negative trends such as streamlining games, more multiplatform games designed for consoles first and PCs second, developers leaving the PC in favor of consoles (I'm looking at you Epic, Id, and Crytek), and games that are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. We're also seeing positive trends, such as Indie games gaining mainstream appeal and digital distribution taking off. In short, PC gaming is far from dead but the industry is very different from what it was even just a few years ago.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Why would PC gaming be dead? A new gaming gen has just started for the PC...and well I have to say this, all the consoles this gen are all (beep) at the moment. Seriously have you not seen the games coming out for PC? theres a bunch and some of them are already out.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

developers leaving the PC in favor of consoles (I'm looking at you Epic, Id, and Crytek),

BlueBirdTS

Id just gave us a kickass free game, is dumbing down the 360 version of Rage because of DVD-only support and says the PS3 is a pain in the ass. They weren't PC-only back in the days too.

Crytek has 4 or five studios, one of which makes RTS games (maybe two actually), and one which is console exclusive (former Free Radical).

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

No.

riptoe222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 riptoe222
Member since 2007 • 799 Posts

real gamers will always exists, ones that prefer a game that doesnt auto-aim for them, a game that has heavy mod support, and as long as there is fans of REAL rpg games, etc.. as long as there are real gamers out there then pc gaming will stay alive

riptoe222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 riptoe222
Member since 2007 • 799 Posts

ah not to mention better graphics, and higher frames per second potential, most consoles cap the frames per second to 30 at most, i personally love hitting the 40-60 fps

rts, rpg, sim type games.. etc.. pc wil always rule many genre aswell, another reason its here to stay

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

No.

dos4gw82
This. P.S. I want your rig. :D
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
its not dead at all
lhshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18 lhshadow
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts

lol wut!!111

Ok, if "PC gaming" was a game character it would:

-Be a God and immortal

-Be a level ?? boss with 10 billion hp

-Regenerates hp at 10000/second, regenrates limbs and heads if dismembered

-Have a difficulty level of extreme, realistic, nightmare, impossible, or godlike

-Have 99.9% resistance and immunity to physical, magic, psychic, bullet, explosive, nuclear, radioactive, laser, hadoken or time warp/travel damage

-Be insusceptible to diplomacy, persuade, seduce, taunt, intimidate, lie, bribe, appraise or bluff

-Cannot be head-shotted, backstabbed, stealth attacked, pickpocketed, stunned, disoriented, set on fire, frozen, slowed, poisoned, transformed into a small animal or 1-hit KOed

-Cannot be destroyed via the environment its in, including collapse roofs, rocks, engine fire, exploding barrles, deep water or run over by vehicles

-Can attack things in the air, land, underground, underwater, in space, invisible, ethereal, from the future, from the past and things with divine shield

-Does not have weak spots such as eyes, groin, gooy green/red/yellow areas to shoot or stab at

-Is not afraid of big-muscled men and big-boobed women with big guns, parties of elves in bikini armor, armies of tanks, motherships, or worker rushes

People have tried to develop a plan to kill this character know as "PC gaming" but after dying 100 times they would swear at the screen and cry :P

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

Why can't we leave a comment here? Oh wait, I see what you're doing.

AdamK47
Lol, exactly. This thread is pointless. PC gaming is not dying, nor will it ever die. Even if every major publisher abandons the PC, there will still be thousands of indie developers. That's how it's always been, that's how it will always be. So let's stop posting these preposterous and redundant threads and save everyone the time and energy.
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
It's about as dead as Chuck Norris... not even close.
skywarp001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 skywarp001
Member since 2007 • 199 Posts

I'll just write my honest thoughts. First off, no, PC gaming is not dead. It is, however, changing, in some ways for the better and in some for the worse. We are seeing some negative trends such as streamlining games, more multiplatform games designed for consoles first and PCs second, developers leaving the PC in favor of consoles (I'm looking at you Epic, Id, and Crytek), and games that are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. We're also seeing positive trends, such as Indie games gaining mainstream appeal and digital distribution taking off. In short, PC gaming is far from dead but the industry is very different from what it was even just a few years ago.

BlueBirdTS
agree
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
If PC gaming is dead it's a helluva wake! Naa.. people keep calming that PC gaming is dead, other people hear that and repeat it and soon people start believing it just because they've read it so often. I've not seen anything to making me think the PC gaming is dead or dying. Overall I think the whole thing is a result of all the attention on consoles the last couple of years. With several new or fairly new consoles out and with a lot of hard competition between the consoles they've had a tendency to capture the spotlight.
Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts

"There have been a bunch of stories written recently, both in the gaming press and the mainstream business press, that PC gaming is dead,"said Gabe Newell during a small press event held yesterday at Valve's offices in Bellevue, Washington.

"Is there a crisis in [PC] gaming?" was the question Newell intended to answer. "You know, 'Piracy killed my game,' 'Console numbers are huge,' 'People don't want to play their PCs in the living room' - all these stories get written over and over again, and our view is that it's exactly the opposite. PC is where all the action is, and there's a perception problem."

Newel then pointed out that, according to Gartner Group data, there are over 260 million online PC gamers and that Steam alone has 15 million connected gamers, with 1.25 million peak connected gamers, and 191% year-over-year growth.

"This is a market that dwarfs the size of any of the proprietary closed platforms", Newell said. But where do all those 'PC is dying' reports come from? Newel explained that while worldwide retail PC game sales have been relatively flat since about 2001, PC online sales have continually grown. Problem is, online sales data is not tracked by major analysis firms such as the NPD Group. Same goes for online subscriptions, ad-supported free online games' revenue and microtransactions.

Valve expects their online sales to surpass their retail sales within the next three months.

HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts

Valve expects their online sales to surpass their retail sales within the next three months.

Papitar

Wouldn't surprise me one bit with the deals they have on Steam every now and then. :D However given the choice of buying online and retail, I'll still probably go with retail just because I like to have a box. Call me old school I guess. :P

On the topic of whether or not PC gaming is dead. I honestly don't think it's even close, and as long as companies like Valve are around it won't be for a long time to come, and besides consoles can't compare to a PC as far as hardware goes. I think as time goes on we'll start to see more higher quality titles come out on PC from newer developers, while the console ports will start to retire to bargain bins more quickly than others with lack of sales. Just my prediction. ;)

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

PC gaming isn't even close to dead.

lundy86_4
/thread
Avatar image for SatanAntichrist
SatanAntichrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SatanAntichrist
Member since 2009 • 355 Posts

Console gaming may be more popular in America, but in places like Europe and Asia that's where you find many of the hardcore PC gamers, especially like Amsterdam and cities like that.

Plus, in some countries, tarrifs cause consoles like the xbox, playstation, and nintendo to have high price points and it becomes more economical to have a good computer that one could have many uses out of anyway in addition to being able to play PC games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'm an avid PC gamer and have been gaming for about 9 years. I keep hearing that PC gaming is dead yet, PC tech and components keep advancing. I truly believe that this myth is being circulated by console game producers because they are to cheap to release their game titles minus all the major bugs. Can I get some feedback on if you really think PC gaming is dead (I think Not!). Please comment on this at my sitehttp://PCsByDesign.com

thanks sincerely, jim 8)

P.S. If you are not a PC gamer please don't leave me any crazy comment. Serious PC gamer only!

1redeemer
Is console gaming dead? That question answers your question.
Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

It's been dead for some time now. The only things that are remotely interesting coming out in the near future are SC2 and Diablo 3. Everything else is either a vomit-inducing FPS game full of boring or sequels of old games that sucked.

I'll probably end up buying an XBOX or a PS in the near future since there's nothing to play on the PC except for old games that I've missed.

Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Not even close, not for a 100 years. Unless a WW breaks loose, thats another story...

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

It's been dead for some time now. The only things that are remotely interesting coming out in the near future are SC2 and Diablo 3. Everything else is either a vomit-inducing FPS game full of boring or sequels of old games that sucked.

I'll probably end up buying an XBOX or a PS in the near future since there's nothing to play on the PC except for old games that I've missed.

i_saw_a_mudcrab
Demigod > SC2 + Diablo combined! :P
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 krazyorange

i_saw_a_mudcrab

Well, those are great opinions, but the facts are that PC gaming is not dead and will never, ever die. Enjoy your xbox while we stay busy not missing you and playing our excellent PC games.

i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 i_saw_a_mudcrab

[QUOTE="i_saw_a_mudcrab"]

_Pedro_

Demigod > SC2 + Diablo combined! :P

derp derp

i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 i_saw_a_mudcrab

krazyorange

Well, those are great opinions, but the facts are that PC gaming is not dead and will never, ever die. Enjoy your xbox while we stay busy not missing you and playing our excellent PC games.

Crysis 4? Call of duty 11? Half Life 2 mods? Bioshock 5? Sims 3: Expansion #113? Boy, I'm sure missing a lot! Besides, in a few year's time there won't be a single PC exclusive release in existence, everything will be multi-platform and designed with consoles in mind.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Since pc gaming industry is larger than console..... i dont think its dead.
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

[QUOTE="krazyorange"]

i_saw_a_mudcrab

Crysis 4? Call of duty 11? Half Life 2 mods? Bioshock 5? Sims 3: Expansion #113? Boy, I'm sure missing a lot! Besides, in a few year's time there won't be a single PC exclusive release in existence, everything will be multi-platform and designed with consoles in mind.

The Cryengine 3 just got announced for Pc and Consoles, your a bit off it looks like Crysis 2 will be the first :P.
-Rivfader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Rivfader-
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts

PC Gaming will never die.

slamthebowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 slamthebowler
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

Since most of my friends are console gamers and do not really ever reearch or anything about the gaming industry the do not understand that most people play games on the PC. Think about all the people who MMO's, that's millions of people.

slamthebowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 slamthebowler
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

You are a genius and live in a perfect world!

i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 i_saw_a_mudcrab

[quote="i_saw_a_mudcrab"]

slamthebowler

You are a genius and live in a perfect world!

It's not like I'm happy about it or want it, no, on the contrary I want PC gaming to prosper and the market flooded with new and interesting titles that are not all Halo clones or MMOs. It's just that's not happening, so I might as well move to the winning side.

dmcguk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dmcguk
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

It`s not dead in fact is getting bigger the people who say it`s dead base their opinion on statistics from retail sales but things such as subscriptions , digital downloads and piracy make it very hard to track exact figures for PC gaming unlike consoles.

HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts

Since most of my friends are console gamers and do not really ever reearch or anything about the gaming industry the do not understand that most people play games on the PC. Think about all the people who MMO's, that's millions of people.

slamthebowler
You bring a strong point up. Think about how many people there are playing MMO's. I'd say the PC gaming industry is alive and well. :)
sarahandkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sarahandkev
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

sony and microsoft should stop making consoles, sony should stick to tv's and microsoft should stick to windows, nintendo should carry on making consoles for people that aint good with computers

i hope pc gaming never dies

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

There are more high rated exclusives on PC than consoles, there are also more console games available on PC than ever before; giving PC gamers access to both console and PC genres. Companies you would have never dreamed of targeting the PC gaming audience like Capcom and Square Enix are now releasing games on the PC platform with improvements over the console versions. One of the most profitable games companies in the world, Blizzard, is primarily a PC developer. The company to start the digital distribution transition and offer the best online community services, Valve, is primarily a PC developer.

If you think PC gaming is in trouble then you must not be looking hard enough.

icynuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 icynuts
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

PC Gaming is absolutely not dead. I have a PC, PS3 and a Wii. 90% of the games that I have gotten this calendar year have been for the PC. Fantastic games like Far Cry 2, Dead Space, Warhammer: DOWII, Red Alert 3 and Fallout 3. Even though many of these new releases are going multiplatform, the best versions of these are still found on the PC. While this may be up for debate, nobody can argue that a PC will pump out way better graphics than any console could ever hope to, and that is NEVER going to change. In my opinion, PC gaming is still the purest form of video gaming. It is where the first person shooter was invented, and in my opinion, it is where it should stay. No matter what anybody thinks, a keyboard and mouse player will out frag a control pad player in any FPS. There is no way that those two nubs on a control pad can aim and shoot quicker, or with more accuracy than the point and click motion of a high dpi mouse. Not to mention that consoles have barely scratched the surface of the RTS genre, which a powerhouse genre on the PC. Just think about it, Starcraft, Warcraft, Command & Conquer and the numerous copy cats that were spawned from these franchises. As we saw, Tom Clancy's End War stunk it up on the consoles because they don't know how to recreate the RTS experience on a console yet. The only way it could possibly be done is by completely stripping an RTS down, essentially making it half of a game. That is how they came up with Halo Wars. Unfortunately, this "RTS for Dummies" will sell because it has Halo attached to the name. Another aspect of PC gaming is the indie side it. This includes homemade games, mods and extra levels that PC players have been downloading and playing for free ever since the original Doom. Consoles are just starting to pick up on this (Playstation Network, Wii Virtual Console, etc.), but they think that they can charge money for what PC gamers are used to getting for free. As far as I am concerned, console gaming is still one or two huge steps behind PC gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

You know, everytime I hear somebody ask the question as to whether or not PC gaming is dying I can't help but shake the feeling that all those people who make the claim are using the EB games/gamestop PC store shelves as an indicator as to the livelihood of the PC gaming industry. >_>

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 krazyorange

[QUOTE="krazyorange"]

i_saw_a_mudcrab

That, in fact, is completely false. You forget the hundreds, if not thousands, of small-developer or indie games that get released every year, many of which are high-quality. In a few years' time, there will still be many, many PC exclusives, including big-name/high-budget releases. You sir, are misinformed.
Taco_42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Taco_42
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts

No. PC gaming is far from dead. PC gaming is always growing because companies like ATI, Nvidia, AMD, and Intel are always upgrading the newest and best componets and it is far easier and more affordable for someone to upgrade a componet than to buy an entire new system althogether. Plus lets not forget the PC gaming population is larger than the console based population.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

PC Gaming will never die!