Games that didn't age well.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Atheno
Member since 2004 • 1902 Posts

So I have Sims 2 and basically all the expansion packs but university, which I have played and I don't believe that I need that one. Anyway the topic of this is "games that didn't age well". So after playing Sims 2 with the expansions on I decided to try the original Sims with some of its expansions on. Now this is just my opinion but the original sims did not age well. I have a hard time trying to ever believe I actually enjoyed that game, let alone with none of its expansions on way back at the beginning of it all.

Some old games have aged very well given their own age, like Diablo 1 and 2. Starcraft, the original Warcraft. Those games seem to be god like and not touched by the passing years. Anyone else have any games they believe did not age well? 

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

I was actually going to say the orignal WarCraft didn't age well. I played it for the first time in years about 6 months ago, and I absoutly had to struggle to get the controls down. You could only select 4 units at one time, and you can't do the click and drag, to select those units. I think you had to shift+click all of them, to get them into a group. Plus the resolution that the game is at, is almost unbearable.

And I know ill catch **** from some people, but I don't think that Doom I/II held up too well. The mouse-look mods you can get for the game help alot, but it just doesn't seem as exciting and fun as it was when I first played it.

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Atheno

Now that you mention it, the original Dooms really didn't hold up to well. The distance you can see is horrible, the graphics are un noticable, and the looking around part could really use a good redo. But I believe that the people, including me, who still enjoy the doom games for the most part really don't notice the cons of it. If I ever play the old dooms I usually play them for memories sake, and I still do enjoy going into a room with a double barrel shot gun.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Games thta didn't age well...hmm...Sim Isle. I used to enjoy that game... ;)
robmonga2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 robmonga2
Member since 2003 • 1193 Posts
Starcraft is beautiful. It's probably best looking games from the 90's there is.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Atheno

Starcraft is beautiful. It's probably best looking games from the 90's there is.robmonga2

Yeah it still holds up. I enjoy the old Red Alert games to, the original first one might not be ground breaking in graphics but its not the worst looking and far from the worst playing old game.  

MyEarHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 MyEarHurt
Member since 2003 • 165 Posts
Quake 2. I tried playing that because it came with Quake 4 and I couldn't get into it. I'm not a big graphics guy and love playing classics but that game looked too ugly.
robmonga2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robmonga2
Member since 2003 • 1193 Posts
Half life one, I could not play.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Atheno
   Yeah I know what you mean. You play Quake 4 which has more or less the same gameplay and feeling of Quake 2, but when you play Quake 2 finally, it feels like you get slapped in the face.
dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
Medal of Honor.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Atheno

Medal of Honor.dunamistheou

What Medal of Honor? I have played alot of them including the first for PS1.

dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
It used to be good, is what I mean.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

So I have Sims 2 and basically all the expansion packs but university, which I have played and I don't believe that I need that one. Anyway the topic of this is "games that didn't age well". So after playing Sims 2 with the expansions on I decided to try the original Sims with some of its expansions on. Now this is just my opinion but the original sims did not age well. I have a hard time trying to ever believe I actually enjoyed that game, let alone with none of its expansions on way back at the beginning of it all.

Some old games have aged very well given their own age, like Diablo 1 and 2. Starcraft, the original Warcraft. Those games seem to be god like and not touched by the passing years. Anyone else have any games they believe did not age well? 

Atheno

That is really funny as I am a Sims and Sims 2 player as well.  I recently installed Sims 1 on an old PC for my sister and just could not believe how bad it looked and played.  Yet I remember first playing Sims 1 and being blown away!  So I agree 100%  Sims 1 today is just shocking at how bad it looks!  The Sims look like stick figures and the house look like lo res hoses made of cards!

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Atheno
[QUOTE="Atheno"]

basersx

That is really funny as I am a Sims and Sims 2 player as well. I recently installed Sims 1 on an old PC for my sister and just could not believe how bad it looked and played. Yet I remember first playing Sims 1 and being blown away! So I agree 100% Sims 1 today is just shocking at how bad it looks! The Sims look like stick figures and the house look like lo res hoses made of cards!

Yup thats exactly what I mean. Also you can't stop just at the graphics. The options you have to play around with feel like your in a low res house made out of cards that acts like a prison! Imagin a world where you cook the same meal for break fast, lunch, and dinner? Imagin a pizza guy who walks to your house when ever you phone for delivery or cops that run to your house? Its just funny to imagin.

shaggydoo29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 shaggydoo29
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts
I tried replaying King's Quest IV about 2 weeks ago with the DosBox emulator. Let me tell you.. it was a struggle! Even with the EGA emulation, and the squeeky AdLib soundFX (which kept chopping up in DosBox as I had to turn up the cycles to get the game to run relatively smoothly), I could barely get through an hour of it. I remember when I had my old Commodore Colt computer back in '88, with its CGA graphics, and PC sound, I absolutely loved the game! Some of the old Ultimas feel that way too, but I could never replace them (they are truly treasured.. I even have the ORIGINAL Ultima boxes!).
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
battlefield series
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Atheno

I tried replaying King's Quest IV about 2 weeks ago with the DosBox emulator. Let me tell you.. it was a struggle! Even with the EGA emulation, and the squeeky AdLib soundFX (which kept chopping up in DosBox as I had to turn up the cycles to get the game to run relatively smoothly), I could barely get through an hour of it. I remember when I had my old Commodore Colt computer back in '88, with its CGA graphics, and PC sound, I absolutely loved the game! Some of the old Ultimas feel that way too, but I could never replace them (they are truly treasured.. I even have the ORIGINAL Ultima boxes!).shaggydoo29

Yeah some games are like grandparents. No matter how old they get you just can't throw em away. To treasured :P 

A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

i find that most really old games are really playable - in terms of visuals, i still have a playstation and i still play some of my favourites like wipeout 2097 (xl) and castlevania: sotn so i guess i'm used toold visuals and simple gameplay

but one game i tried to play recently that definitely hasn't aged well - doom 3... i don't know why, i still play quake 3 just fine, but i couldn't stand the sight of doom 3 at all - everything about it felt totally wrong, and the game's only a couple years old... and this is running it at ultra max / 1600x1200 - just felt obscenely wrong

besides that, it's not a feeling i experience often, i don't prefer old games or anything - while i appreciate them, newer really does often (but not always) equal better, it's just the way games progress

doom 3 though, wow... just wow 

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Atheno
  Mm that is weird to see Doom 3 like that. I am in the same boat though. In no way do I hate old games or find all of them bad. I just got done playing RE2 on ps1, and I often install old RTS games because the new ones are lacking. Its just sometimes, like Sims 1 its just way to hard to get into.
_deadrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 _deadrat
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts

The only time that i have ever thought "oh man these graphics are bad" is when i just recently decided to buy fallout and play through it for the first time. It was a bit jarring at first but i never played them back in day and i was expecting something more like bauldur's gate (whichhas hand drawn backgrounds and looks beautiful imo). Same thing happened when i first played Arcanum. The animations are not smooth and the characters run really fast. Also the maps are made from a tile set and are not very interesting. But I got used to both of them and now they look fine.

If i played the game when it came out I know what to expect and its still just as fun for me and looks fine.

On a side note i just beat quake 4 last night and i think that has the best graphics i have ever seen, better than oblivion ect. The large outdoor areas are not too flash but some of the indoor areas, especially later in the game, look amazing. I am yet to play Doom 3 but if it looks anything like this then i cant beleive that one of the eariler posters would say it looks bad. Shame on you A-S_FM :?

MicroM336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MicroM336
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts
Well in terms of gameplay, (ignoring graphics in which pretty much every 3d game are dated in 2 hours) I'd say most, good at least rtses stand up alright because they really haven't advanced much since the late 90s. In fps I find that a lot of old games seem really dated and get dated really quickly, though the really good ones like half life stand up alright.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Atheno

Well in terms of gameplay, (ignoring graphics in which pretty much every 3d game are dated in 2 hours) I'd say most, good at least rtses stand up alright because they really haven't advanced much since the late 90s. In fps I find that a lot of old games seem really dated and get dated really quickly, though the really good ones like half life stand up alright.MicroM336

Yeah thats what I believe to. RTS games tend to have a better chance of "survival" so to speak after a few years fighting up against new RTS games since there is never really that much of a difference and if there is a difference its usually a not to positive one. FPS games are really brutal, unless the dev team makes an attempt to create a ground breaking gaming experience much like Half-life, then it has hardly any chance living up to the newer FPS games. I do tend to still play Quake 3 arena from time to time :P its just classic fun.

Marlins4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Marlins4life
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts
Even though its not a pc game you can play it on a pc is Zelda: Ocarina of Time holds up very well beatiful graphics and controls for its time!
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Atheno
   Speaking of Zelda: OoT, I just recently played that game again and well I respect the above posters opinion, in my opinion the game looks nasty. I don't mean to bash the game it self because I love it, but oddly enough well I can still play old 90's games, OoT just doesn't look good to me anymore. I am not sure why, when I can look at first gen PS1 games and play them fine, but when it comes down to Zelda: OoT or M's mask I just can't stand them anymore. I know deep down inside they are great games just I can on longer stand to play em :(
maniXsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 maniXsan
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts
I would say that commandos the first one didn't age well compared to the sequels. I realy like the series, and when the FPS one came out I played throu all of them again and I have to say that i was disapointed with the graphics of the first one compared to the second, which to me still looks awsome.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Atheno
Woah Commandos. Now thats a game I completely forgot about. Thanks for reminding me of it, im gunna have to go see for my self sometime now.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bybeach
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

robmonga2,if you see the,try HL1 w/ the Source engine,really improves it. Tho` the sand bags stacked by the Marines still look funky as hell

I agree about quake 2,although occasionally the graphics could be considered interesting.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
   Speaking of Zelda: OoT, I just recently played that game again and well I respect the above posters opinion, in my opinion the game looks nasty. I don't mean to bash the game it self because I love it, but oddly enough well I can still play old 90's games, OoT just doesn't look good to me anymore. I am not sure why, when I can look at first gen PS1 games and play them fine, but when it comes down to Zelda: OoT or M's mask I just can't stand them anymore. I know deep down inside they are great games just I can on longer stand to play em :(Atheno
Maybe the poster was refering to playing it on a PC emulator, maybe it can be made to look better. But I agree, I have OOT, it looks nasty in its original form, but thats more or less true of most 3d games from that era...
Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts
Hmm.... I find that odd, just played through OoT a short while ago, and I was amazed at how well the graphics held up.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
StarCraft
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

The only time that i have ever thought "oh man these graphics are bad" is when i just recently decided to buy fallout and play through it for the first time. It was a bit jarring at first but i never played them back in day and i was expecting something more like bauldur's gate (whichhas hand drawn backgrounds and looks beautiful imo).

_deadrat

I'm with you there, I'm playing Fallout for the first time now (though I bought it in '98 ), and the graphics and character movement are horrible (reminds me of the original Diablo in that sense), but I must say the gameplay itself is growing with leaps and bounds on me, and the Soundtrack is downright spooky thus far.

Compare the Graphics and movement of Fallout with, say, Guild Wars Nightfall, and you can see how great a change there has been in RPG's in this area in the last 10 years. But I don't question Fallout's greatness in the all-important Gameplay area, and as I said, the Sound has been great.

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts
Half life one, I could not play.robmonga2
Heh, did you try it with the Source update?
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nerfing
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
F.A.L.L.O.U.T
SuperNova10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SuperNova10
Member since 2003 • 70 Posts

Total Anihilation still looks great to me \o/

Ill take that game over alot of RTS games that have came out over the mostly crap RTS game we get

I still like Crusader: No Remorse/Regret (old 3rd person shooter that came out for dos that came out in like 95.)

Strong_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Strong_Wizard
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Damn bro how did you get Crusader: No Regret to work? I tried a while ago and took ages and achieved nothing! Still have the cd and everything (that game was ze shaznat)
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Atheno
  Wow I didn't expect this topic to get so many replies :P This is my most successful topic :P thanks for all the replies!
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Atheno
   Mm I seem to have lost everyone :P
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Atheno

Total Anihilation still looks great to me \o/

Ill take that game over alot of RTS games that have came out over the mostly crap RTS game we get

I still like Crusader: No Remorse/Regret (old 3rd person shooter that came out for dos that came out in like 95.)

SuperNova10

aaa I did a triple post but I just had to note that Crusader: no remorse KICKS ass. I had it for ps1, I still remember the guns that eat the skin off people, or turn people to dust haha. 

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#40 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
Damn bro how did you get Crusader: No Regret to work? I tried a while ago and took ages and achieved nothing! Still have the cd and everything (that game was ze shaznat)Strong_Wizard
same; I've got both and I can't get either one to work. maybe if dosbox wasnt so damn confusing...
jimbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#41 jimbow4
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
It seems that most of the FPS games don't age well. It's the same issue with most of those games which were created for the first 3d acceletor cards - 3d in the sake of 3d.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#42 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
For me it was SiN. When I played it a long time ago I don't remember it being so ugly or so drab. It's not very fun to play compared to what I remember of it. Most games I like age well though.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#43 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
For me it was SiN. When I played it a long time ago I don't remember it being so ugly or so drab. It's not very fun to play compared to what I remember of it. Most games I like age well though.nutcrackr
It does suck about FPS games though - went to play Soldier of Fortune 2 the other day and the first level was "blaaaaaaaaaaah" Far Cry aged pretty well, however; it still has better graphics than some new games.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Homeworld. It's my favorite RTS ever, so I went to reinstall it last week, and was amazed at how crappy it looked. Esapecially considering I remember clearly being blown away by the graphics when it came out. The gameplay aged really well though, still really solid. But it just looks so crappy. Where's the lighting?
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
I thought Neverwinter Nights was going to be the best RPG for the longest time, but it really lost its appeal quickly because the graphics never caught up.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Atheno
  Neverwinter nights, yeah I remember that game. Haven't played it for ages so I couldn't give my opinion but I;ll take your word for it.
lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
I also reinstalled The Sims and played it for the first time in several years, I thought it sucked too. I used to be addicted to it.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
The Orginal Quake and Doom ChessMaster
bdavenport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bdavenport
Member since 2002 • 214 Posts
The original command and conquer did not age well graphics wise to me and neither did its sequal tiberian sun.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Atheno
  Your right C&C did not age wel but the game play is still fun right?