Games that didn't age well.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51 Atheno
Member since 2004 • 1902 Posts

Sweet, let's revive this topic from it's grave, yarrr. Now 2009, anyone have any new games that didn't age too well? The topic of PS2, Gamecube, Xbox can now kinda be talked about and I believe there are a good number of games for those systems that didn't age too well even though it hasn't been that long. One games to mind and that's Fable. I loved it for the original Xbox, it was one of my most played games but after playing Fable 2, I decided to go relive Fable 1. By technical standards it's still breath taking and it runs well on the older Xbox, at the time it blew me away but now I find that the textures of some characters, mostly the kids and some normal town folks are ..just..insanely ugly. Well some textures for heros and mainly your character are awesome and still hold up well today, including the Demon Gates/Doors and some lands look pretty good.

Another one that is pretty dated is Super Smash Bros Melee, don't get me wrong it's awesome but I just popped it in not too long ago and I strangely don't remember the graphics being so...not really bad, just simple. There is no detail in anything, or perhaps the correct way to word it, is that there is detail lacking compared to Brawl. Of course, these two games are still loads fun to play.

Gavin2232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 Gavin2232
Member since 2005 • 145 Posts

Command and Conquer: Renagade

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Atheno

haha oh wow, now that is a game I forgot.

johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts

doom 3 ages fairly bad imo

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Battlefield 2.

I remember when we benchmarked our new DX9 cards with that game. Now the game looks like crap. Didn't age well at all.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
MoH and HL1
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#57 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4413 Posts

Gavin2232
This one Also, SIN, Medal of Honor, etc.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#58 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

All games age well to me. I don't care if the gameplay is "dated" or simplistic. I always judge the game based on the release year and what was out back then. I don't mind old graphics, I actually prefer them. Heck I still play some text adventures from the 80's. :oops: CGA, EGA, VGA... PC speaker, C64 SID, MIDI - whatever, I just love them all.

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Atheno

Yeah I don't mind graphics either, like I have said in my posts before, the game play can be the best thing ever but, if you enjoy old graphics or not, they do date after some point. Enjoying them or not in personal opinion. I'm glad though that people still enjoy old games like me. Doom 3 has dated fairly bad, I played it again not too long ago thanks to a Steam sale, I got the expansion, and I just don't remember the game having such boring textures. Battlefield 2 in my opinion never looked good art wise, but that's just opinion.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
battlefield seriesArtosa
BF2 aged pretty damn bad in my opinion, played it a few weeks back and was blown away by how bad it looked on the highest setting.
Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

The frightening thing is that some games will cause you to stay up all night, or just suck you in and cause you to spend massive amounts of time playing them - but then a decade later you'll look at the game and will hardly be able to believe how insanely repetitive it is and how primitive the graphics are. It's shocking to you that years earlier you spent so much time and energy playing the stupid thing.

When I was in university I spent so much time playing Wayne Gretzky hockey that I almost failed a few courses because of it. I installed that game a couple of years ago on an older PC, and when I re-played it, just once, all I could do was wince. What a god awful game. And I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing it!

It makes me wonder about the present - am I doing the same thing now? And yet there's nothing I can do about it if I am, because gaming is the greatest hobby on the face of the planet. I suppose that it doesn't matter, really, whether or not a game ages well - the most important things is that it must fascinate you now, in the present. And based on that logic, Wayne Gretzky hockey, I suppose, is as relevant, for me, as GTA 4.

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
Yes, The Sims 1 looks bad and is incredibly dull after playing The Sims 1. On the contrary The Sims 2 aged really well as it's the only game from 2004 that I played nonstop since then. That is about to change when The Sims 3 arrives as I'm sure I won't be pleased to come back to 2 because TS3 comes with a lot of exciting new gameplay features. Doom 3... I think it's not a case of graphics... The engine still looks good and it has the best shadowing effects to this day IMO. But it's because of the level design and gameplay. Doom 2 has aged incredibly well and I still can come back to play it and there are mods that make it full 3d with the Quake 2 engine. Haven't played Fallout 2 on its release, I tried recently to play it and I was put off by the increbly dated graphics. It's not the case with Baldur's Gate 2. I started it a couple of days ago and it's fantastic. I'm having the same amount of fun that when I played KOTOR for the first time. Believe me, if you don't mind about graphics, it's much better than Mass Effect.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#63 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Quake 2 and Myth

Cherub_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Cherub_Rock
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

I usually desperately try to find hi-res patches for games that ran on 640x480 or below. I don't mind playing older, dialogue-intensive games as long as the story is truely compelling. Strategy games hold up well, as well as 8 and 16 bit games. There was this awkward time in gaming, though, where games were transistioning from 16 bit to 32 bit. The technology boom made games outdated so fast, it was ridiculous. So games like Final Fantasy 7, Duke Nukem 3d, the Descent series, Wing Commander 3, Interstate 76, etc. didn't age gracefully. Heroes of Might and Magic, Planescape, Diablo, and some Lucas Arts point and clicks still have their appeal to me.

Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Atheno

I'm surprised there are a lot of gamers who truly understand the difference between not aging well, and still being fun but looking like vomit. I agree with the posts about how you can play a game for hours and days and then a decade later, it's like a slap to the face. Sims 1, that one strikes to mind, along with countless others that I forget the names of now. Then you have those weird games that don't try to push graphical power on you, that actually as funny as it is, age very well. Like Evil Genius, I find that game was never truly WOW in your face but it oddly holds its own pretty good now.

snow_yellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 snow_yellow
Member since 2009 • 69 Posts
STREET FIGHTER II old like hell, but everybody knows it.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Half life one, I could not play.robmonga2
I've been playing that recently and my only real complaint is that the SMG has too much recoil. I'ld say the original C&C and to some extent RA1, i still play RA2 every now and then though
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 markop2003

Battlefield 2.

I remember when we benchmarked our new DX9 cards with that game. Now the game looks like crap. Didn't age well at all.

Wasdie
It looks bad but it's still fun, i'ld still be playing 11942 if i hadn't lost one of the disks, i still go back to Vietnam everynow and then even with it's supremely overpowered M60
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 markop2003

Gavin2232
I can't remember that game getting that good reveiws and i played it about a year ago and didn't find it that bad
im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

Medal of Honor.dunamistheou

The old medal of honor games are actually pretty good.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I was actually going to say the orignal WarCraft didn't age well. I played it for the first time in years about 6 months ago, and I absoutly had to struggle to get the controls down. You could only select 4 units at one time, and you can't do the click and drag, to select those units. I think you had to shift+click all of them, to get them into a group. Plus the resolution that the game is at, is almost unbearable.

And I know ill catch **** from some people, but I don't think that Doom I/II held up too well. The mouse-look mods you can get for the game help alot, but it just doesn't seem as exciting and fun as it was when I first played it.

ProudLarry
I tried playing Warcraft 1 awhile back and because there were so many missing features from WC2, I know label this the hardest RTS game I've ever played. Diablo 1 can still be played when I'm in the mood, but it again lacks features that make it stand up well. Haven't played Diablo 2 in awhile, but I'm pretty confident the thousands who still play would disagree.
-Decivox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 -Decivox
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Game SERIES I think that have gone to **** with age are: the Command and Conquer Series, Sonic the Hedgehog, Halo, Guitar Hero, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls. There are a few more that have slipped my mind at the moment. CnC: I remember playing the originals back in the day, and they were awesome. I still enjoy playing the odd Red Alert 2 match. Command and Conquer 3 wasn't anything special and not overly fun, and Red Alert 3 was a disappointment. Since I have bought Red Alert 3, I have probably played it for like 3 hours tops. There is nothing intriguing about the game at all, and it isn't very fun. Sonic: The games used to be BADASS. Now, they are really retarded. Please just go back to the way they were. Halo: The original Halo was great. I remember playing it at countless Xbox lans, and then when XBConnect came around, online play was the **** Then Halo 2 came around, and I played that a fair amount also, but Halo 3, dropped the ball. After I played the Beta, waited in line at the midnight release, and played that night, I felt that I had seen it all. Halo 3 is not very good. Guitar Hero: Thank you Rock Band... Thank you so much. Guitar Hero 3 is the biggest joke going (well not really, Rock Revolution is). Guitar Hero world tour also isnt that good, and neither is the set list; although it is better than 3.\ Fallout: Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing for their time, and still live up to anything today. Fallout 3 as a game is good, but as a next game in the Fallout series, it drops the ball. Elder Scrolls: "Stop right there criminal scum!" FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

In before 2 year old thread delete

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#74 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="_deadrat"]

The only time that i have ever thought "oh man these graphics are bad" is when i just recently decided to buy fallout and play through it for the first time. It was a bit jarring at first but i never played them back in day and i was expecting something more like bauldur's gate (whichhas hand drawn backgrounds and looks beautiful imo). Same thing happened when i first played Arcanum. The animations are not smooth and the characters run really fast. Also the maps are made from a tile set and are not very interesting. But I got used to both of them and now they look fine.

If i played the game when it came out I know what to expect andits still just as fun for me and looks fine.

On a side note i just beat quake 4 last night and i think that has the best graphics i have ever seen, better than oblivion ect. The large outdoor areas are not too flash but some of the indoor areas, especially later in the game, look amazing. I am yet to play Doom 3 but if it looks anything like this then i cant beleive that one of the eariler posters would say it looks bad. Shame on you A-S_FM :?

I agree with you on Quake 4. I played it a few years ago but at the time the amount of details in the levels just had me stunned. There's just so much... stuff. It looks really good.
Atheno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Atheno

Hahaha, your master has returned, forgotten thread. Like last time, no point in starting a new thread for the same topic, so RISE..rise as time goes, things change. The games that didn't age well today, are not the same as yesterday.

One of the games that just hasn't ages well for me right now, is GTA4. Now, I don't know if this is souly because I just bought the PC version, and tried my friends PS3 version again but wow. I first played GTA4 on the ps3 and was simply blown away, going back to try it now..wow..harsh. I also tried the xbox 360 version..yikes. Though for the PC version that is still breath taking. I guess you can't say that the game it self didn't age well, but rather just the platforms it was on.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
This thread has aged well... As has Heroes of Might n Magic 3, and Alpha Centauri. The graphics, the gameplay, the atmosphere, just absolutely fantastic games to this day. I replay them on a yearly basis.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Oblivion with no Mods
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#78 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
FEAR - when that came out it was visually cutting edge. Looking at it now the environments are just lifeless.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I'm going to be a renegade and say Half-Life 2. At the time it was amazing, but even the episodes feel dated. There's something about it that's just ... archaic. I think the pacing though is fantastic.

Edit:

FEAR - when that came out it was visually cutting edge. Looking at it now the environments are just lifeless. biggest_loser

Oh I agree with this too.

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#80 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts

Pretty much anything from the N64 - PS1 era has aged poorly. Anyone who claim that they can plug in those consoles and play the games like they used to, is probably suffering from the bad side of nostalgia. I find that the Snes - Genesis games are the ones who has stood the tests of time the best.

Just noticed someone bumped an ancient thread.

EDIT BY AMNESIAC23: This thread was created in 2007...raised from the dead in 2009...and killed for good in 2011. The moral of this tragedy: please don't bump old topics.