Fallout 3, Mass Effect, or Oblivion? (poll)

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

I usually play FPS games, but am looking for something to playsince I just finished Wolfenstein. I haven't played any of these three games despite their good critical reception. Which of these should I get? Or something else?

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#2 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

Mass Effect.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Mass Effect.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

witcher or oblivion. ME and f3 are both great rpg, but they are both mediocre shooters and fallout 3 got some of the worst character animation ever seen in a big budget game.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Mass Effect for great short awesome, but I also liked Fallout 3.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 555SSOO
witcher or oblivion. ME and f3 are both great rpg, but they are both mediocre shooters.Franko_3
Oh,yea I forgot about the witcher.But ME and F3 are NOT mediocre shooters.
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Mass Effect.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
If you like fps i dont reccomend mass effect, the combat is god awfull and the game has poor level design with too many dialogues choices to make, id say stick to fallout 3, but i voted for oblivion accidently :(
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

witcher or oblivion. ME and f3 are both great rpg, but they are both mediocre shooters and fallout 3 got some of the worst character animation ever seen in a big budget game.

Franko_3
Doesn't the Witcher have turn-based combat? Correct me if I'm wrong - but I hate turn-based combat.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dakan45
[QUOTE="Franko_3"]

Engrish_Major
Doesn't the Witcher have turn-based combat? Correct me if I'm wrong - but I hate turn-based combat.

Well you click and your character makes a combo attack, then the cursor will flash and you got to click again at the right time, to make a combo and attack faster, keep going and you get massive attacks. Its not turn based, its like neverwinter nights 2 but you got to be there and pay attention on what you use and what and when to click to increase you attack rating.
555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 555SSOO
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

dakan45
Right because mass effect is such a good game in the shooter factor.. ohh wait you referring to the rpg section? Well mass effect is a simplified,rpg with shallow gameplay and with bad level design.

In you're previous post you said that you are sticking with Fallout 3.That game has the worst shooting EVER in a game. You could aim between his/hers eyes and you're player would shoot a tree 30km away!
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I was thinking about trying to play Oblivion again. I got it at launch and only made it like 3 hours in before i got bored out of my mind and quit. Havent touched it since.

I guess i could get mods and whatnot to spice things up. Maybe?

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

555SSOO
Right because mass effect is such a good game in the shooter factor.. ohh wait you referring to the rpg section? Well mass effect is a simplified,rpg with shallow gameplay and with bad level design.

In you're previous post you said that you are sticking with Fallout 3.That game has the worst shooting EVER in a game. You could aim between his/hers eyes and you're player would shoot a tree 30km away!

I dissagree, its actually pretty well balanced and rpg like, the reason that happens is because your skills are not high enough and its actually the big deal about fallout 3. The weapons accuracy is related to your skills and its not a shooter that you loose accuracy depending if you move or shoot i think thats the great thing about the game, how the accuracy is related to the skills without using any stupid crosshairs that loose accuracy when you move like vampire bloodlines. Ofcourse they could use weapons that are very accurate and just cause low damage and you got to get better ones, but then there wouldnt be any actual and logical reason to increase weapon skills.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

dakan45

No I'm talking about your opinion and how you like games that actually have a good story with lots of dialogue choices...oh wait. Seriously cut the attitude and find a better thing to do other than discuss opinions that are different from yours. Also get a clue, bad level design? what do you want a fantasy theme, because it's not.
AJ_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AJ_D
Member since 2003 • 1533 Posts

I've only played Fallout 3 but I quite enjoyed it. I notice a lot of comments above regarding Fallout 3 and first person shooters... don't play Fallout 3 soley for the shooting element. Yes there is shooting in Fallout 3 but the game is designed to be story driven with different options to address challenges and hostiles.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I really enjoyed both ME and Fallout3. of the 2 i thought FO3 was more shooter-like.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

DanielDust

No I'm talking about your opinion and how you like games that actually have a good story with lots of dialogue choices...oh wait. Seriously cut the attitude and find a better thing to do other than discuss opinions that are different from yours. Also get a clue, bad level design? what do you want a fantasy theme, because it's not.

Very sorry dude :( i thought i quoted franko_3 but then his sig poped up and i was already at the new message screen (I am downloading from steam so the page loads kinda slow)

So instead of franko_3 i quoted you...:( Very sorry again i hope you dont hold hard feelings... damn internet connection speed.

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

I've only played Fallout 3 but I quite enjoyed it. I notice a lot of comments above regarding Fallout 3 and first person shooters... don't play Fallout 3 soley for the shooting element. Yes there is shooting in Fallout 3 but the game is designed to be story driven with different options to address challenges and hostiles.

AJ_D

Well I'm sorry but if you are going to have shooting in a first person view, obvioulsy you are going to get comparisons to the greats like Call of Duty, Halo, Counter Strike, etc . etc. I understand it's an RPG, and I somewhat enjoyed it (nowhere near as much as Obliivion though.) But when I shoot someone between the eyes with a hunting rifle and my reticle is dead on, it should blow their head off, not go thirty feet to the left. That is frustrating to me, and I gave up on the game because of basic faults like that. And for all the money that was spent on this game, holy **** if it's not too damn clunky.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dakan45

Franko_3
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

none of them. mass effect is good enough, but not amazing. shephard was annoying imo. i think its more because i didnt like the space setting. and the story is dull, i dont care what anyone says, and the side missions are boring. the witcher on the other hand, has different (some would say worse) combat completely, a WAY WAY better story and game world, plus the side missions are excellent. this is just my onion pin tho.

anyone else here vote witcher??? i should think lots will

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dakan45

none of them. mass effect is good enough, but not amazing. shephard was annoying imo. i think its more because i didnt like the space setting. and the story is dull, i dont care what anyone says, and the side missions are boring. the witcher on the other hand, has different (some would say worse) combat completely, a WAY WAY better story and game world, plus the side missions are excellent. this is just my onion pin tho.

jpph
Same here, i liked the witcher much more than mass effect, I cant seem to pinpoint the good story or the good story structure in mass effect.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

[QUOTE="jpph"]

dakan45

Same here, i liked the witcher much more than mass effect, I cant seem to pinpoint the good story or the good story structure in mass effect.

exactly. no variation of weapons, biotics were pretty naff (shouldve have been awesome), everyone runs around in lycra!!, and the story was very simple, someone/thing trying to destroy universe (dont say that that is a spoiler anyone, im pretty sure it says something similiar on the back of the box) you could say that about the witcher, the basic idea was simple enough, get back witcher secrets, but it branched off in so many ways, romance, moral, racial, loyal obligations etc.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="jpph"]

jpph

exactly. no variation of weapons, biotics were pretty naff (shouldve have been awesome), everyone runs around in lycra!!, and the story was very simple, someone/thing trying to destroy universe (dont say that that is a spoiler anyone, im pretty sure it says something similiar on the back of the box) you could say that about the witcher, the basic idea was simple enough, get back witcher secrets, but it branched off in so many ways, romance, moral, racial, loyal obligations etc.

Yeah those too, i look i got a few hundrends of weapoms that are exactly the same...also the level design was pretty cheap.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Franko_3
[QUOTE="Franko_3"]

dakan45

I completly agree with you, but after playing Fable, and farted in front of girls to marry me, I lowered my standard to an extreme level in term of rpg... I mean, if fable is considered a good rpg amoung the gaming community, ME is a bucket of jewels... Even if the story suck, the main characters sucks, the dialogue system sucks, the combat sucks, the graphic sucks and the AI is GOD AWFUL... It's a much better game than Fable!
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dakan45
Hmm yeah i agree, but i have to say that the fable levels might be small but they was surely much more detailed and diffirent levels, flame me all you want but most levels in mass effect were cheap corridors with the same next gen textures and objects randomly lying around, that made sidemissions increadeably cheap I thought bioware learned how to make good levels after jade empire.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Franko_3

Hmm yeah i agree, but i have to say that the fable levels might be small but they was surely much more detailed and diffirent levels, flame me all you want but most levels in mass effect were cheap corridors with the same next gen textures and objects randomly lying around, that made sidemissions increadeably cheap I thought bioware learned how to make good levels after jade empire.dakan45
meh, jade empire team (that was kotor 1 team) is working on kotor mmo. You know where you will find your good level design now ;) Anyway, I gave up on sp rpg, I prefer to pay 10$ a month and play lotro, a much better rpg than these consolite garbage. Even witcher 2 doesn't sound good anymore since it's on console too and the (now canceled) console version of the Witcher was looking like a frigging fable 2 clone. hell cd projekt is really in a weird shape atm, just look at the official witcher website, it's still advertising Rise of the wolf (the console version of witcher 1).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dakan45
I really wanna check the old republic, the witcher is another "PC Game" that will turn into consolized stuff just like crysis 2 is already turning into right now:(
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
I really wanna check the old republic, the witcher is another "PC Game" that will turn into consolized stuff just like crysis 2 is already turning into right now:(dakan45
Oh, so you've played Crysis 2?!
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
go with MassEffect.its 'light" on your heart,meaning that you dont have to spend hours of leveling up and stuff like this.also its a mix between TPS and RPGs with very nice graphics and characters.it gets repetitive some times but all in all great game
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#31 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I honestly don't get why people dislike the combat in Mass Effect. The cover system is great, the gunplay is fun, the unlimited ammo system is intuitive and works well, the biotic powers are loads of fun to play with. I personally found the combat in ME to be on par with Gears of War. The level deseign is fine by me, most of the main planets you visit are very different from one another, and most of them are very beutiful.

My only complaint was that the Mako handled like a fatman on a unicycle, the steering was hypersensitive and it made it very difficult to go where you wanted.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I own and love all 3, but Oblivion is the 1 I've spent the most time on. So I'm voting for that.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

[QUOTE="jpph"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"] Same here, i liked the witcher much more than mass effect, I cant seem to pinpoint the good story or the good story structure in mass effect.dakan45

Yeah those too, i look i got a few hundrends of weapoms that are exactly the same...also the level design was pretty cheap.

So much hate for Mass Effect... I will never understand it...

Fuzzy_Bear123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fuzzy_Bear123
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
Mass Effect by a long shot. I just don't like Bethesda and the games they make (although I found Morrowind to be decent with mods).
sp1r1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sp1r1t
Member since 2004 • 153 Posts

Mass Effect was pretty good, but it was still a big disappointment when I compare it to KoTOR. RPG elements were extremely dumbed down, and instead we got better graphics + very mediocre shooter. The main quest was quite good, but most of the optional quests sucked ass and were mostly just good for leveling up.

Oblivion was very cool when I started, awesome graphics (at the time). It very cool to get out of the first dungeon and see the good looking world, but soon after that it started to get more and more dull. The main quest didn't really hold my interest (so I never finished it) and most of the characters I met were dull and boring. The most interesting quests I got, were some guild quests, like the Dark Brotherhood (that was probably the highpoint of the game for me). The combat is a bit improved from Morrowind, but it's nothing awesome. Then there is that horrible system that lets creatures level up with you, which makes leveling up kinda useless (on some occations it might even make the game harder for you). I would probably say that the best thing about Oblivion are the mods, since the mod community for Oblivion is quite large. Vanilla Oblivion wasn't really that special (except for the graphics), but modded might prove some nice improvements (sadly I can't really say anything about it myself though, since I've only played it without mods).

Although I haven't played Fallout 3 very much I can tell it's a rather nice improvement over Oblivion as a RPG. Leveling is more meaningful, there seem to be more interesting characters, the world seems to be more interesting, character insteraction is more interesting, and there are some choices and consequenses which Oblivion seemed to completely lack. As a shooter it's not so good though. Vats can certainly be interesting though, blowing bodyparts off in slowmo (well at least it's rather fun for a while). Still this system trying to mix FPS combat elements and the old Fallout combat elements is kinda akward. Instead of being very important to the combat, the action points are merely a bonus to make the combat a bit easier now.

Out of these 3 I would pick Mass Effect or Fallout 3. Fallout 3 has better side quests and RPG elements than Mass Effect, but from what I've heard the main quest isn't really the best point of the game, so I'm gonna assume Mass Effects main quest beats Fallout 3 main quest. Although combat isn't really special in ether of those games, I would say Mass Effect is a bit better. Since Mass Effect is rather short for a RPG I'm pretty sure most people get more playing time out of Fallout 3. Mass Effect has better graphics (not that it matters too much though), and is a more immersive game than Fallout 3. It's hard for me to pick one above the other right now, since I've finished Mass Effect, while I haven't played Fallout 3 for many hours, but I guess I might prefer Fallout 3 if I had played it more (not sure though).

With all this said none of those games have very good combat elements, so if that's what your main focus is on, I wouldn't reccommend any of those 3. If you want some kind of a good mix between FPS and RPG you might want to keep an eye on Borderlands (coming later this fall). I'm pretty sure borderlands will at least have better combat, especially since the developer has made some pretty good FPS already.

Also if you don't mind older games, there are plenty of better RPG's than those above (examples: KoTOR 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Planescape Torment). For a mix of FPS and RPG there are Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis, Vampire: Bloodlines. If you're ok with really old, you can also try Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 (they are in first person), and they are freeware (+ they only take a few megabytes)

CheckMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 CheckMate
Member since 2002 • 4662 Posts

I played Oblivion and Mass Effect. I have to say that I enjoyed Oblivion more than ME.

ME had several shortcomings that prevented it from being a great game. First, the combat gameplay just didn't have an immersive quality to it. The game and the galaxy was rather bland. For example, all of the planets that you could land on were very plain and the installments you had to go through were generally very generic and similar.

Oblivion was just awesome. I loved the development, and building and furnishing my own house. The story was fantastic and the world was much more immersive and diverse, as well as more colorful and beautiful.

Just my 2 cents.

MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

^ Nice post Spirit.

As for the original question I'll answer with "don't get Oblivion". Oblivion is like one of those big thugs Indiana Jones always fights - you know the guy who gets put through the stone grinder in Temple of Doom. It's huge, muscular and awesome to behold, but it's dumber than a sack of bricks.

Fallout 3 is a good game besides it's garbage shooting elements and Mass Effect I haven't played although I plan on playing it in the near future.

Oh and Oblivion's story is pure horse piss. Don't get it.

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
Fallout 3 obviously! Mass Effect is a good Rpg, but with little important decisions or many likeable characters and very generic side quests. It's a dumbed down KOTOR with better graphics. Oblivion looks fantastic, but its gameplay is bad with its stupid AI, generic characters and horrible leveling system. Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns, but without its problems. So I vote for it as I find it the better of the three and the most fun too.
2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

i own all three game.

time i spent on most
Oblivion > Fallout 3 > mass effect

Story i enjoyed most
Mass effect > fallout 3 > oblivion

Combat i enjoyed most
Mass effect > fallout 3 > oblivion

overall i pick mass effect then oblivion second then fallout 3 third

dont bash my post as its what I've experienced with those games

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Mass Effect, although the combat sucked and the level design was bad.

Second would be Oblivion and third Failout 3.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Oblivion will probably last you alot longer than the other two games. Especially the Goty edition.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

The story in Mass Effect is the more interesting/engrossing of the three choices, but with mods, Fallout or Oblivion will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

None of them. They're all bad games. Ok, Mass Effect was tolerable (barely so) but the other two were mind numbingly bad. Then again, they're console games so what can you really expect?

durrrr......

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 biswajit90210
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

witcher is absolutely amazing..its a must play.mass effect was good but too short i guess..oblivion was nice..but dont play fallout 3 right after oblivion because the similarities will reduce the fun factor..iam playing fallout 3 right now and iam not impressed yet..its got high scores so iam pretty damn sure its gona get better! so according to me:

1)witcher

2)mass effect

3)oblivion

4)fallout 3

solidwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#45 solidwarrior2
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

I don't think you can compare ME with Oblivion/Fallout 3 because they all have different styles of play. it like comparing Halo to Bioshock

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

I don't think you can compare ME with Oblivion/Fallout 3 because they all have different styles of play. it like comparing Halo to Bioshock

solidwarrior2

He isn't asking for a comparison, he's asking which one to pick up.

It's a tie between ME and Oblivion imo. Don't expect anything RPGish out of the two Bethesda's, but they last much longer than ME. ME also has the best combat.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Fallout 3 - much more open-ended than Mass Effect yet without most of the glaring flaws in Oblivion. of coz, it's not perfect.

dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
Fallout 3, the other two are horrible.
catalystex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 catalystex
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

I have a really hard choice deciding between Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. I would personally rate them both the same.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Definitely Mass Effect: build up your saved games for Mass Effect 2.:)