Fallout 3, Mass Effect, or Oblivion? (poll)

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Fallout 3 is a really good game, but you have to keep in mind it's not a straightforward FPS. It is a role playing game, and as such your accuracy with weapons is dependent on the level of your skill with each weapon type. So if you keep that in mind, and invest heavily in your weapon skills, you'll become a lot more accurate. Having said that, if you use V.A.T.S. you can target certain areas of an enemy's body, with indicators of percentage chances to hit. The percentages increase the closer you are to an enemy.

Personally, I don't mind 'missing' shots, because it's more rewarding when you land a critical headshot and see brain matter flying everywhere.

But you can also use some strategy, and lure enemies into traps, such as laying down some frag mines in a narrow alley, then shoot at enemies to bring them running. Or lure some raiders back to a place where you know there are some vicious dogs, and watch from a distance as they tear each other up.

I'm really enjoying Fallout 3 at the moment. I invested over a thousand hours into Oblivion (with mods) and enjoyed it, but I'm liking Fallout 3 more.

Avatar image for BloodEagles1717
BloodEagles1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 BloodEagles1717
Member since 2004 • 245 Posts
Fallout 1. I don't care that you hate turn based combat. It's awesome. Go. Now.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Mass effect

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="jpph"]

exactly. no variation of weapons, biotics were pretty naff (shouldve have been awesome), everyone runs around in lycra!!, and the story was very simple, someone/thing trying to destroy universe (dont say that that is a spoiler anyone, im pretty sure it says something similiar on the back of the box) you could say that about the witcher, the basic idea was simple enough, get back witcher secrets, but it branched off in so many ways, romance, moral, racial, loyal obligations etc.

psn8214

Yeah those too, i look i got a few hundrends of weapoms that are exactly the same...also the level design was pretty cheap.

So much hate for Mass Effect... I will never understand it...

Its shallow and simplified in every way, story, charcaters, script structure, rpg upgrade system, very small maps, All weapons are the same, even levels are simple as hell. For all that simpliness its quite overatted, i dont understand why you guys like so much such a simple game, and when i say simple i dont mean dumb down but simple in nature and design. Its not that i hate mass effect, its that its more simplified than everything i ever played and has the least amount of content, so whats so great about it?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dakan45

I played Oblivion and Mass Effect. I have to say that I enjoyed Oblivion more than ME.

ME had several shortcomings that prevented it from being a great game. First, the combat gameplay just didn't have an immersive quality to it. The game and the galaxy was rather bland. For example, all of the planets that you could land on were very plain and the installments you had to go through were generally very generic and similar.

Oblivion was just awesome. I loved the development, and building and furnishing my own house. The story was fantastic and the world was much more immersive and diverse, as well as more colorful and beautiful.

Just my 2 cents.

CheckMate
Exactly the same here, ME for all that time in development was rather blant and simple without immersive quality, especially the combat was more unpolished than gears of war. They promised lots of planets and they gave us linear sequences:( But oblivion and fallout 3 are huge and not just as simple as mass effect, you can have fun either by doing the nice quality sidequests and explore the map, let alone what you can do with mods. So those games will give you more stuff for their price tham ME, which is mostly choices.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34717 Posts

I've had the most fun with Oblivion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60183822c6ad0
deactivated-60183822c6ad0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 deactivated-60183822c6ad0
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts

Fallout 3 is pure RPG

Mass Effect is action RPG so go for mass effect is my recomm.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Fallout 3 is pure RPGnedimaha

That's one of the funniest things I've read in awhile, thanks. Who said humor was dead on the internet? Fallout 3 is "pure" something but it certainly ain't RPG. :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-60183822c6ad0
deactivated-60183822c6ad0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-60183822c6ad0
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts

[QUOTE="nedimaha"]Fallout 3 is pure RPG-wildflower-

That's one of the funniest things I've read in awhile, thanks. Who said humor was dead on the internet? Fallout 3 is "pure" something but it certainly ain't RPG. :lol:

yeah you know it ccccc it couldnt be more rpg than it already is cccc go and smell some flowers, thats your area ;)
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I've played and finished all four games (I'm including The Witcher). I found all of them more then worthy of play for more reasons then I could possibly list here. All that said I don't see how you could make any informed choice with the constant bickering between posters. Or worse the mutual admiration of each other putting Mass Effect down. And other people who havn't liked more then two games their whole life. Good luck making a choice because I couldn't reading this stuff. Of course I didn't have to because I bought them all.:)

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 biswajit90210
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

the moment a trilogy is announced the 1s game in the series is bound to be a over hyped game with very simple style of gameplay..thats what happened with mass effect..but you cant say it didnt have anything..the story was good yes the side quests were a drag,but the main storyline kept me going..anyway i dont think its fair to compare these games with each other..they all have something special about them..i would say take your time and give each one of them a go..you wont regret it..

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
1. Fallout 3 2. Mass effect
Delphanius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 Delphanius
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

There was already a thread like this...Mass Effect,by the way.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

If you going to buy Fallout 3 wait a month for the game of they year adition.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

All that said I don't see how you could make any informed choice with the constant bickering between posters. Or worse the mutual admiration of each other putting Mass Effect down. And other people who havn't liked more then two games their whole life. Good luck making a choice because I couldn't reading this stuff.

Rickylee
:lol: no kidding. Not that I don't appreciate the comments...
Blacklight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#66 Blacklight2
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts
I say mass effect for the repeatability and the fact that it is a great game.
MalthraX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MalthraX
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Oblivion and F3 are very different, its hard to say which is better, its SciFi/PostNuclear over Magic/DarkAges
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
Fallout 3. Mass Effect is great, but much shorter, and way more buggier (which really ruins the game-play experience).
nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#69 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

Fallout 3

XSpawner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 XSpawner
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Fallout 3 is an amazing game, but a alittle scary.I rly like mass effect, and i am storngely recommend that u will buy it.

about oblivion i didnt try the game so...

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

Havent played mass effect but I dont even want cuz I dont really like the space and everything though I liked Kotor. Played The Witcher, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

The Witcher is a good rpg but lacks weapons and is kind of short and the enhanced edition isnt that great, but enjoyed making potions.

Oblivion hooked me for ages it has its flaws but its great.

Fallout 3 well as mentioned above by someone (sorry) oblivion with guns but a tad better (in my oppinion) , liked the main story but if you really want to enjoy it do all side quest they are somewhat fun and it gives more depth. And about the shooting and everything if you get to a certain level and get certain perks (sorry cant remember) you can sneak attack a deathclaw with The reservist rifle or the Victory rifle and make a one shot one kill with a critical(shooting at his head of course) I think this is normal difficulty, tried to play on the hardest difficulty but its insane took me all the ammo I bought and scavenged in the first two hours of gameplay to drop a super mutant its insane.

I recommend Fallout 3 but the witcher is must also. thanks for tunning in!

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Old thread, if TC is still alive then I suggest The Witcher or Risen. Depends on your taste, want more action with less RPG elements? Get F3 or TES4, want a cinematic experience get ME.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

The Witcher is one of the best rpg's in years.Leagues ahead of others,so i say get that.Or VTMB if you don't mind clunky combat but a great rpg experience none the less.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Fallout 3 well as mentioned above by someone (sorry) oblivion with guns but a tad better (in my oppinion)

Silicel1

That makes sense, considering it was developed by the same company.

I think it's a bit unfair comparison. When Oblivion was out, it had no competition, it was simply the best RPG of it's time. It's still worth a play.

The Witcher, as mentioned above, is a good, but much more limited game than those three (in the aspect of freedom, gear, plot altering decisions), but still very enjoyable.

BiH_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#75 BiH_Gangster
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

Oblivion, of course. I think that only Fallout 2 is better than Oblivion. Face it, it is one of the most complex and fun RPG's ever. If you ever though about sword and sorcery RPG's like oxymoron and boring, this should change your opinion xD

Mass Effect is also great, but it lacks at the fun factor, also the RPG elements are awful.

Fallout 3 is a copy of Oblivion gameplay put in a post-apocaliptic world.

The Elder Scrolls series always had its problems, the voice acting, the pathfinding, but you must admit, its maybe the best RPG series after FF (and for me it's the best). The fun factor is very important and Oblivion (and Morrowind) has it more than needed.

_Sharpshooter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#76 _Sharpshooter_
Member since 2008 • 527 Posts

I usually play FPS games, but am looking for something to playsince I just finished Wolfenstein. I haven't played any of these three games despite their good critical reception. Which of these should I get? Or something else?

Engrish_Major

Mass Effect ofcourse!

_Sharpshooter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 _Sharpshooter_

Fallout 3 is pure RPG

Mass Effect is action RPG so go for mass effect is my recomm.

nedimaha

lol mate they are all RPG's

Mass effect = scifi

falout 3 = nuclear destruction stuff

oblivion = medieval

they rall rpgs

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Mass effect = scifi

oblivion = medieval

they rall rpgs

_Sharpshooter_

In fact, none of them is a "pure" RPG...the one that comes closer is ME, as TES4 and FO3 have laughable RPG elements.

_Sharpshooter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 _Sharpshooter_

I really enjoyed both ME and Fallout3. of the 2 i thought FO3 was more shooter-like.Ontain

agreed.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dakan45

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]

I usually play FPS games, but am looking for something to playsince I just finished Wolfenstein. I haven't played any of these three games despite their good critical reception. Which of these should I get? Or something else?

_Sharpshooter_

Mass Effect ofcourse!

Well he prefers fps so i wouldnt reccomend mass effect its too much about choices.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 dakan45

[QUOTE="_Sharpshooter_"]

Mass effect = scifi

oblivion = medieval

they rall rpgs

Mograine

In fact, none of them is a "pure" RPG...the one that comes closer is ME, as TES4 and FO3 have laughable RPG elements.

How does the most simplified and dumbed down game from all of them to be the closer thing to rpg? Oblivion has much better classes and skills to define it as an rpg, same goes for fallout 3

Ohh i guess thats because you are making choices in the game so its roleplaying. Here comes another definition of rpg: Storytelling and minimal choices or classes and no character creation.

Just like the witcher. The witcher doesnt let you play the way you want or make your choices or your own character. So i gues its not an rpg = Role Playing Game.

Well here comes a definition: In the witcher you take the role of a character and play as him, so its an rpg allright.

Where did i heard that?

In the general game discussion forum where is a HUUUUGE thread called "I think we missing the definition or rpg"....and its waiting for you.

Have fun explaining to everyone what is an rpg, you can thank me later or letting you know.;)

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

How does the most simplified and dumbed down game from all of them to be the closer thing to rpg? Oblivion has much better classes and skills to define it as an rpg, same goes for fallout 3 dakan45

LOL. I almost spilled my cappuccino on the floor. You just like to say things that don't make sense :lol:

Oblivion and FO3 DON'T EVEN HAVE CLASSES :lol:

Ohh i guess thats because you are making choices in the game so its roleplaying. Here comes another definition of rpg: Storytelling and minimal choices or classes and no character creation.

Just like the witcher. The witcher doesnt let you play the way you want or make your choices or your own character. So i gues its not an rpg = Role Playing Game.

Well here comes a definition: In the witcher you take the role of a character and play as him, so its an rpg allright.

Where did i heard that?

In the general game discussion forum where is a HUUUUGE thread called "I think we missing the definition or rpg"....and its waiting for you.

Have fun explaining to everyone what is an rpg, you can thank me later or letting you know.;)

dakan45

I already went through this with you, and already drew my conclusions. You're one of the most misinformed (and probably other things that I'm not allowed to say) persons I've ever crossed, arguing with you is not worth anyone's time as you simply dismiss anything as "shoving your opinion down my throat" while answering with meaningless rubbish that clearly shows you don't even understand what others are *trying to* tell you :roll:

Out of those, ME is the only game that has defined classes, meaningful choices, a good storytelling, characters that somehow, somewhere matter (and no "essentials").

Oblivion and FO3 are more of "open world game with action and roleplay elements". There's no "if"s, not "but"s, my classification is not absolute but calling them better RPGs than Mass Effect is just plain wrong.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

what is this vote about? which one is the most overhyped and overrated RPG?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Hmmm, I WOULD say Fallout 3 out of theese, but in all honesty I would wait for the game of the year edition (which has all dlc I think, the dlc in FO3 is pretty darn good) so skip that. (the dlc combined easily adds 40 hours to the game, 40 hours much more interresting then some of the time spent in vanilla, altho even Vanilla is pretty darn good

No random placements here, things are where you expect them to be, which has been a huge undertaking, and a very underrated thing in rpgs nowadays, where everything is random generated (loot drops are random, and boxes, containers and such are random, but the thigns that is strown about is not)

It has some interresting factions, altho If you allready playied Oblivion they wont strike you as being as awesome.

Oblivion is a pretty "fun" sandbox game, short on story, and it is slightly monotone in setting and landscape, but some of the sidequests are pretty fun, and you could easily spend over 100 hours in that game (altho gameplay wise I prefer FO3 by far). It can be both breathtaking, and shallow at the same time. But as a "light" rpg with a destinct adventure feel to it, it works pretty good. Fighting is as taken out of Arx Fatalis.

Mass Effect is sort of a mixed bag for me, it is Very VERY light on rpg aspects, and they are not too well executed, it works fairly well as a 3rd person shooter.

But do NOT pick Mass Effect if you are tired, or just dont like Sci Fi steriotypes, and a fairly uninspired gameworld, I kid you not when I say that Mass effect is pretty much Star Wars and Star Trek squeesed into one universe, they might aswell change several of thier classes such as "bounty hunter, Jedi..." they share some of the exact same powers

Even the races are carbon cut outs of standard "race" standards seen a million times over. It is a well polished game tho, and dialogue is fairly good, but I cant really bring myself to call this an RPG more then I would Call Diablo one.

But as mentioned as a 3rd person shooter, set in a cheesy setting it can be quite entertaining.

The main thing I would like to bring up, is that both Oblivion and FO3 has huge modding communities, that makes really great stuff, and is easy to install, giving new places, storylines, weapons, armor. Offering another 100+ hours to said games.

Honerbly mention: 2 games you might consider is The Witcher and STALKER, the witcher is NOT turnbased, and if you control with both mouse and keyboard, you have a whole lot of moves, it is a gritty Fantasy RPG, with more or less real world problems to them, its slightly childish sometimes, and very sexist.

STALKER SoC is about as much of an RPG as Mass Effect, if you havent playied it yet, its cheap and a really good altho sometimesBrutal FPS, If you allready playied it and Liked it, then FALLOUT 3 is right down your alley ^^It starts out slow, but once it catches steam it rolls onwards like a tank.

MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

Out of the three: Fallout 3.

Mass Effect and Oblivion are average and extremely ovverated.

For a great modern-day RPG I'd also go with the Witcher.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Mass Effect for characters and dialogues.

Oblivion for the great mods.

Personally i don't like Fallout 3.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

what is this vote about? which one is the most overhyped and overrated RPG?

teardropmina

You 're 100% right...

The_Watchman_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 The_Watchman_6
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I have to say that Fallout 3 is the best video game I have ever played, but Mass Effect was good i have to admit.
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Go Mass Effect, the sequel is coming out in the foreseeable future.