EA Wants The FPS Leadership Back From Activision

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

LINK

" I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but in the way that Activision sort of alternates sequels of Modern Warfare and Call of Duty and owns the leadership position in FPS [First Person Shooter], between Medal of Honor and Battlefield, I want it back. " EA Boss John Riccitiello said in a morning interview in New York. " And we're going to get there with innovation and quality. "

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

I don't think Activision has ever really heald that title for any meaninful amount of time. The exception might be the orignial CoD which was way ahead of its time, but since then it's just been the same thing over and over from Activision. CoD:MW was amazing, but you'd be kidding yourself if you said it was a totally different experence from CoD1.

EA's MoH is the reason there's even a CoD. You could even go as far as saying MoH is the reason that shooters have been so successful, with CoD help of course. The original MoH:AA was just as good as CoD in terms of the single player, but it was CoD's multiplayer that really stole away the MoH online community. The MoH, and I only count the PC exclusives, have always been plagued by bad MP. Now the EA has employeed DICE to work on the MP I think it's possible that we could have a MoH that's just as good and successful as MoH:AA.

Does anyone else have high hopes for the new MoH?

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

:|

I'm pretty sure the FPS leadership is Valve's.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

Mograine
Me too. Best multiplayer experience, on every game, TF2, CS Source, L4D...
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

More power to them I guess.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The lifespan of BF 2/2142 is much larger than TF2/L4D games, and the multiplayer is as popular as CSS or even more. I think that MW took the crown of most popular fps in PC, and since MW 2 is now the weak link in the IW chain, DICE has chances to recover their old status with games as Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3. The new Medal Of Honor will arise in the same "moder combat" landscape, so is another -potentially- heavy contender.

HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts

The lifespan of BF 2/2142 is much larger than TF2/L4D games, and the multiplayer is as popular as CSS or even more. I think that MW took the crown of most popular fps in PC, and since MW 2 is now the weak link in the IW chain, DICE has chances to recover their old status with games as Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3. The new Medal Of Honor will arise in the same "moder combat" landscape, so is another -potentially- heavy contender.

Ondoval
I am not going to argue whether or not TF2 is better than BF2, but all I'm going to say is thank God for capitalism. Because Activision is putting heat on EA, EA will no doubt step up their game (pun not intended) and make better games. I will be very eager to see what EA does for its next games. I just wish they would innovate a little more. Pretty soon we will be seeing CoD11.
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
I hope that this pressure from Activision will actually pump other companies over EA to step their act up as well. Providing a new and innovative experience in gaming is what sets a company aside. You look at Borderlands, amazing game but the main problem with it was that there was nothing beyond single player, which kind of slams the game down because they had a lot to work with. To note, I am completely discounting the PvE Co-op that was in the game. When it comes down to FPS games, not a lot stand out anymore because most of these games have been done in some way, shape, or form before. No game is truly innovative anymore. Call of Duty 4 had an amazing MP system, but the campaign was just like anything else we've seen before. Even the multiplayer left much to be desired for me; I will give them the credit that it was one of the best MP games on small-size battlefields that I have ever played.
polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
Clearly EA aren't getting the title, when they don't realise who currently owns it. Valve ftw.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Its called battlefield 3 EA. Oh yea you can't half arse it like the rest of your games. Yes you will have to try I'm sorry.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
You want it back? Then do something about singleplayer. I know that many people will say that cod singleplayer is not that great, but atleast it has a singleplayer. EA has to come up with a sucessfull singleplayer game, as sucessfull as cod is. Now i know that many will say that cod is all about mp, but i know alot of people who enjoyed singleplayer and they wouldnt buy it just for the multiplayer. That is a fact. Perhaps not in your social circle but it is in mine. Anyway, he speaks of "alternates sequels" Yet he made Airborne which was pretty alternative and now he is making an "alternative" sequel to Moh!!!:shock: How the hell is that not an alternative sequel? If i was him, i would be ashamed by that statement when i follow the same "alternative sequel" trend :)...:lol:
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dakan45

Mograine
Only for the pc users.... which are a second priority for the game developers.
DiffusionE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DiffusionE
Member since 2009 • 191 Posts
Battlefield 3 better be PC exclusive or they're not getting back that title. Multiplats almost always have some form of "consolization" to them that prevents the potential of the game. I don't care if they say they're putting PC first, if they make a PC game with the thought of consoles on the back of their minds, then more or less, that will still hold them back. We really need to be rid of the shackles from last-gen consoles limiting our progress and innovation. With the new line of PC hardware coming out, we have a chance to fly beyond what we've already had. That is why exclusives are so important and a must for us PC gamers.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
If they dumb down Battlefield to compete with Call of Duty... I may just have to destroy a couple dozen console games to make me feel better.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dakan45
If they dumb down Battlefield to compete with Call of Duty... I may just have to destroy a couple dozen console games to make me feel better. Swiftstrike5
Well i woundt bet on bad company 2 pc not beeing dumbed down...
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="soliderPp"]

I don't think Activision has ever really heald that title for any meaninful amount of time. The exception might be the orignial CoD which was way ahead of its time, but since then it's just been the same thing over and over from Activision. CoD:MW was amazing, but you'd be kidding yourself if you said it was a totally different experence from CoD1.

EA's MoH is the reason there's even a CoD. You could even go as far as saying MoH is the reason that shooters have been so successful, with CoD help of course. The original MoH:AA was just as good as CoD in terms of the single player, but it was CoD's multiplayer that really stole away the MoH online community. The MoH, and I only count the PC exclusives, have always been plagued by bad MP. Now the EA has employeed DICE to work on the MP I think it's possible that we could have a MoH that's just as good and successful as MoH:AA.

Activision has been holding the title for quite awhile. They're talking about sales and player numbers. MW1 is the best selling shooter, in 2 years it sold almost twice as many copies as HL. MW2 will probably surpass it. MW1 has been the most played shooter for the last 2 years, now MW2 is the most played shooter. Maybe not on pc but when you look at all 3 platforms it is by a large margin.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts

Mograine
EA cannot compete Valve in Fps so they are targeting Activision.:P
fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

Mograine
Yep, VALVe has not only the greatest mutliplayer FPS but the greatest single player FPS's and one of the best modding communities in the world.
NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NoctisCaelum52
BF : Bad Company 2 will be tweaked for PC.
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theafiguy

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

fudgeblood

Yep, VALVe has not only the greatest mutliplayer FPS but the greatest single player FPS's and one of the best modding communities in the world.

As someone said, they are only the king of FPS games to PC gamers and barely anything else.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

What a joke. EA and Activision can continue fighting their blind FPS battle while entirely missing the point and missing what it takes to make the truly best FPS possible. Meanwhile, Valve is sitting on their throne for single player (Half Life/Half Life 2) and multiplayer (TF2) FPS chuckling at their pure win.

As someone said, they are only the king of FPS games to PC gamers and barely anything else.theafiguy

EDIT: The king of FPS to PC IS the king of FPS to gaming. PC dominates First Person Shooters and there's no other way around it.

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fudgeblood

[QUOTE="fudgeblood"][QUOTE="Mograine"]

theafiguy

As someone said, they are only the king of FPS games to PC gamers and barely anything else.

And the PC is the only way to play an FPS, what's your point? :P
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theafiguy

[QUOTE="theafiguy"]

[QUOTE="fudgeblood"] Yep, VALVe has not only the greatest mutliplayer FPS but the greatest single player FPS's and one of the best modding communities in the world.fudgeblood

And the PC is the only way to play an FPS, what's your point? :P

Well broseph, I completely agree :P

However, I was taking those console peasents into account this time. Forgive my insolence.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#25 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
EA has Crysis and BF games, they aren't doing too badly.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

PC dominates First Person Shooters and there's no other way around it.

1carus
No it doesn't, Bungie has held that title for quite a while now. Sure the first couple months CoD4 was the most played game on XBL, but after a while everyone was slowly going back to Halo 3 and nothing from what I've played of in MW2 suggests otherwise. Halo 3 has far more to offer than any other shooter on the market at the moment.
L1D3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 L1D3N
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts

I think the Battlefield games have some of the most populated and longest lasting MP of all time. I really hope the BFBC2 is a quality product.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

EA is by far ahead of activision. Activision has call of duty, EA has Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, Battlefield etc...

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="1carus"]

PC dominates First Person Shooters and there's no other way around it.

No it doesn't, Bungie has held that title for quite a while now. Sure the first couple months CoD4 was the most played game on XBL, but after a while everyone was slowly going back to Halo 3 and nothing from what I've played of in MW2 suggests otherwise. Halo 3 has far more to offer than any other shooter on the market at the moment.

Counter strike.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mograine

Rofl, people talking about FPSs on consoles always manage to make me laugh.

Not only because it's ludicrous in itself, but because they actually think what they are saying is true.

Bungie, king of FPS? With Valve still around?

What's next, Microsoft king of charity?

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fudgeblood

Not only because it's ludicrous in itself, but because they actually think what they are saying is true.

Mograine
Yeah man, and Gears of War is the best racing game evarr!!!11!!
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _Pedro_

Counter strike.TerroRizing
Counter Strike is only a multiplayer game with no form of singleplayer or campaign to speak off.

Mograine

Halo 3 is the shooter with the most to offer this gen regardless of opinion. The only thing you could argue is the overall quality of the package. (Funny enough Microsoft / Bill Gates is the king of charity as he has done more for charity them my own nation)

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mograine

Counter Strike is only a multiplayer game with no form of singleplayer or campaign co-op to speak off._Pedro_

Does not make any sense. Any.

CS is a modification of Half-Life's aimed for the multiplayer. Talking of it lacking single player shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Halo 3 is the shooter with the most to offer this gen regardless of opinion._Pedro_

Nope, Crysis and ArmA 2 are. Regardless of opinion.

The only thing you could argue is the overall quality of the package._Pedro_

You are contradicting yourself.

Oh man, how am I supposed to post this with a straight face? This guy's a joke :roll:

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Halo 3 is the shooter with the most to offer this gen regardless of opinion.

_Pedro_

No, just no. I don't even know where to begin with that statement.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Halo 3 is the shooter with the most to offer this gen regardless of opinion. The only thing you could argue is the overall quality of the package. (Funny enough Microsoft / Bill Gates is the king of charity as he has done more for charity them my own nation)

_Pedro_

Halo 3 is obsolete since a technical standpoint even to console standards, and in terms of gameplay some of the old innovations in Combat Evolved (balance between fire weapons, melee attack and grenades, the weapon limitations, the use of vehicles in combat... ) are currently in most of modern shooters as Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, Quake Wars, Crysis... And Forge editor is a joke compared against PC tools of edition.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NoctisCaelum52

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

badtaker

" EA Games !! Challenge Everything !! "

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _Pedro_

[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

Counter Strike is only a multiplayer game with no form of singleplayer or campaign co-op to speak off.Mograine

CS is a modification of Half-Life's aimed for the multiplayer. Talking of it lacking single player shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Regardless of being a half life mod Counter Strike and Half Life have absolutely nothing in common with each other. If you would've liked to have a counter strike setting singleplayer there isn't any. What's there not to understand? :?

[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]Halo 3 is the shooter with the most to offer this gen regardless of opinion.Mograine

Crysis lacks quite a bit multiplayer-wise nor has it got a single player co-op campaign and Arma 2's singleplayer is lacking.

Oh man, how am I supposed to post this with a straight face? This guy's a joke :roll:

Mograine

Seriously, this may be a language barrier but I was speaking in terms of quantity and not quality. Halo 3 has every available option a shooter can hope to give it's players. Ultimately I admit I didn't write that sentence well enough to express what I ment and even know it's probably going to be difficult to understand. What I want to say is that people looking for a great single player experience alongside a great online experience, finding something better than Halo 3 is exceptionally hard and really only Activison has come close to that.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

Counter Strike is only a multiplayer game with no form of singleplayer or campaign co-op to speak off._Pedro_

Regardless of being a half life mod Counter Strike and Half Life have absolutely nothing in common with each other. If you would've liked to have a counter strike setting singleplayer there isn't any. What's there not to understand? :?

[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]Halo 3 is the shooter with the most to offer this gen regardless of opinion.Mograine

Crysis doesn't have as good a multiplayer as Halo 3 nor a single player co-op campaign and Arma 2's singleplayer is a buggy mess.

Mograine

Seriously, this may be a language barrier but I was speaking in terms of quantity and not quality. Halo 3 has every available option a shooter can hope to give it's players. Ultimately I admit I didn't write that sentence well enough to express what I ment and even know it's probably going to be difficult to understand. What I want to say is that people looking for a great single player experience alongside a great online experience, finding something better than Halo 3 is exceptionally hard and really only Activison has come close to that.

Not it doesn't. Last I saw you can't mod the game at all. Halo 3 is over rated and crappy just like MW2. The multiplayer is crappy and boring.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dakan45

[QUOTE="badtaker"][QUOTE="Mograine"]

NoctisCaelum52

" EA Games !! Challenge Everything !! "

:) awesome observation!!!
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _Pedro_

Not it doesn't. Last I saw you can't mod the game at all. Halo 3 is over rated and crappy just like MW2. The multiplayer is crappy and boring.blade55555
I personally disliked MW2, but it's polished, complete and is enjoyed by millions. Surely these games must be doing something right?

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _Pedro_

[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Regardless of being a half life mod Counter Strike and Half Life have absolutely nothing in common with each other. If you would've liked to have a counter strike setting singleplayer there isn't any. What's there not to understand? :? Mograine

/facepalm

I won't waste my time if you come up with a sentence like this.

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

_Pedro_

Crysis doesn't have as good a multiplayer as Halo 3 nor a single player co-op campaign and Arma 2's singleplayer is a buggy mess.

Fail. Double fail. Multi fail. Mega fail. Ultra fail. Monster fail. LUDICROUS fail.

Mods. Dedicated servers. User made maps and weapons. Infinite customizability and replayability. Much higher complexity and diversity.

Wait, I didn't have to list all of them, just one would have made your argument vanish into smoke.

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

_Pedro_

Rofl, Activision and Halo 3 with "every available option", while neither offers anything of what I said above this quote for their game.

I'll repeat myself, this guy's a joke.

Aren't we nice? :) In the end it comes down to pc shooters offering more, because it lets the users offer more? Typical, here I was thinking this was a debate about how much the devs themselves put into a game :shock:

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Pedro_
You know what it was fun debating with you Mograine and I can continue to spin your words for as long as it seems even remotely believable :) Still I haven't had this much fun in gamespot for a while now, but I'm afraid I've got to go so my reply may have to wait a bit longer than usual.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="soliderPp"]

Activision has been holding the title for quite awhile. They're talking about sales and player numbers. MW1 is the best selling shooter, in 2 years it sold almost twice as many copies as HL. MW2 will probably surpass it. MW1 has been the most played shooter for the last 2 years, now MW2 is the most played shooter. Maybe not on pc but when you look at all 3 platforms it is by a large margin.

On PC, too. Looking at Steam's stats, MW1 was being played more online than TF2 was, and MW2 is currently the most played (over CS and CS:S) by Valve's own server stats - and has been since the instant it launched.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

If they dumb down Battlefield to compete with Call of Duty... I may just have to destroy a couple dozen console games to make me feel better. Swiftstrike5

They have BC2 that is somewhat dumbed down, and then they have BF3 in development which wont be dumbed down. That's the way I see it.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
CS is a modification of Half-Life's aimed for the multiplayer. Talking of it lacking single player shows you don't know what you are talking about.Mograine
Just for kicks, can you kindly show me where on these pages it mentions single-player? I feel like I'm missing something. I see multi-player, but I'd like to purchase this for someone that wants to play offline, since you say it doesn't lack single-player. Maybe I should submit a trouble ticket to Valve about the error on their pages. http://store.steampowered.com/app/10/http://store.steampowered.com/app/240/ :D
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Mograine
Valve is the dominating developer when it comes to multiplayer. Counter Strike may be the best multiplayer fps i have ever played. BUT, when it comes to single player FPS, vavle is not even close.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dakan45
[QUOTE="Mograine"]

GazaAli
Valve is the dominating developer when it comes to multiplayer. Counter Strike may be the best multiplayer fps i have ever played. BUT, when it comes to single player FPS, vavle is not even close.

Cs and l4d were made by turtle rock studios, valve just pick them up and gave them a home in their offices....greedy valve!!!
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dakan45

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]If they dumb down Battlefield to compete with Call of Duty... I may just have to destroy a couple dozen console games to make me feel better. shakmaster13

They have BC2 that is somewhat dumbed down, and then they have BF3 in development which wont be dumbed down. That's the way I see it.

Well i played the ps3 beta... i cant see how much they gonna improve the pc version to fit pc gamer tastes. Ask me pc gamers overapreciate that game. Now i like the game but i dont mind a bit dumbed down and polish. I am worrying though that pc gamers might be dissapointed.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Mograine"]

dakan45

Cs and l4d were made by turtle rock studios, valve just pick them up and gave them a home in their offices....greedy valve!!!

you see, thats why i dont like Valve!