Dragon Age Origins Difficulty

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Yoshi25
Member since 2004 • 4488 Posts

So I recently bought Dragon Age Origins and I've started playing through it. So far, it is an excellent game and the story is actually keeping me entertained. However, I am finding this game to be extremelydifficult. I don't think I'm a completely noobish gamer, but I'm starting to think I'm missing some key element of the game. I die all the time and fights with multiple waves are damn near impossible. I try to pause the game and assign different characters to different enemies to spread out the damage, but it seems like this isn't producing any results. What is my problem?

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Set the difficulty on Easy.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yoshi25
Set the difficulty on Easy.Im_single
It's on Normal right now and I really don't want to play on a difficulty level made for a 3 year old.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

So I recently bought Dragon Age Origins and I've started playing through it. So far, it is an excellent game and the story is actually keeping me entertained. However, I am finding this game to be extremelydifficult. I don't think I'm a completely noobish gamer, but I'm starting to think I'm missing some key element of the game. I die all the time and fights with multiple waves are damn near impossible. I try to pause the game and assign different characters to different enemies to spread out the damage, but it seems like this isn't producing any results. What is my problem?

Yoshi25
Don't spread out your damage, take out enemies one at a time you'll kill them a lot faster if you put all your party on one enemy.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game.
[QUOTE="Im_single"]Set the difficulty on Easy.Yoshi25
It's on Normal right now and I really don't want to play on a difficulty level made for a 3 year old.

Easy = Normal for DA:O. Although, easy is slightly too easy and normal is far too difficult, so there's a difficulty gap that will leave most casual players stranded.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yoshi25
Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. [QUOTE="Yoshi25"][QUOTE="Im_single"]Set the difficulty on Easy.Swiftstrike5

Easy = Normal for DA:O. Although, easy is slightly too easy and normal is far too difficult, so there's a difficulty gap that will leave most casual players stranded.

That might be the problem. Right now I have a Rogue (me), two warriors, and a mage (Morrigan). I guess I need to make her a healer and find another mage?
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Swiftstrike5
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. [QUOTE="Yoshi25"] It's on Normal right now and I really don't want to play on a difficulty level made for a 3 year old.

That might be the problem. Right now I have a Rogue (me), two warriors, and a mage (Morrigan). I guess I need to make her a healer and find another mage?

Morrigan is best for crowd control. You should get her sleep and waking nightmare. I also gave her 1 healing spell, but you should find a healer shortly. Until then, I just had Morrigan heal and bought/crafted as many healing poltices as I could find. Also make sure that Morrigan isn't set to attack random enemies. If she is, she'll waste mana and aggro like crazy.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58331 Posts

Dragon Age is extremely difficult, at least for the first few hours.

That first ogre gave me such a hard time, even on the "normal" difficulty.

It really is quite a strategic game. Depending on your party, it can be downright tedious at time. I think that is why I enjoy it; very rarely nowadays do we get a genuinely challenging game that rewards smart moves and punishes dumb ones.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Currently playing on normal and didn't have that much difficulty,excep on the attack on Redcliff
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. [QUOTE="Yoshi25"] It's on Normal right now and I really don't want to play on a difficulty level made for a 3 year old.

You should take Wynn who is a spirit healer, although some complain with two mages it makes it easy, but I think those are the same ones that complain nightmare difficulty is a walk in the park... You can find her in the Mage Tower.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

from all these difficulty/ difficulty spike posts floating around since the game's release, it seems to me that anyone who has no prior experience with party base semi-turn base dnd CRPG should start the game with easy-normal (when the party is at higher level, going normal).

I've seen a a guy who calimed to be gaming for 20 yesrs but appeared clueless with the game and had difficulty with certain boss fights on easy.

it's probabaly not about how long you've been gaming, but about whether you've been playing real deal dndish games, not the extremely simpified ones, such as KotOR and Mass Effect.

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Yoshi25

Dragon Age is extremely difficult, at least for the first few hours.

It really is quite a strategic game. Depending on your party, it can be downright tedious at time. I think that is why I enjoy it; very rarely nowadays do we get a genuinely challenging game that rewards smart moves and punishes dumb ones.

mrbojangles25

@mrbojangles: Yeah, I had trouble with the ogre too.

@MonsieruX: I'm at Redcliff now, so I guess that makes me feel a little better.

@teardropmina: This is my first game ever with this style of gameplay, so once again this makes me understand why I'm struggling a little better.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. Swiftstrike5

I totally disagree. I finished it first time through with a rogue, a bard, a templar and a healer (Wynn) on normal without much trouble at all. It is completely doable without Morrigan.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. Planeforger

I totally disagree. I finished it first time through with a rogue (damage dealer), a bard (support/damage), a templar (tank) and a healer (Wynn) on normal without much trouble at all. It is completely doable without Morrigan.

Warriors can easily maintain aggro and easily tank it when they're being buffed by a bard AND a healer. There's no need for crowd control in your case. If you didn't have that bard, your tank would probably have a hard time tanking and there would be a need for another mage for crowd control. Is the game even possible without Wynn? = Bad design decision.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

Warriors can easily maintain aggro and easily tank it when they're being buffed by a bard AND a healer. There's no need for crowd control in your case. If you didn't have that bard, your tank would probably have a hard time tanking and there would be a need for another mage for crowd control. Is the game even possible without Wynn? = Bad design decision. Swiftstrike5

Ah okay, I'd agree with that.

Then again, I guess there wasn't really much else Bioware could do with the extremely limited character types they put in the game. Perhaps if they had made a warrior who was good at healing (like a cleric or druid), or...well, anything interesting or unique, there would've been a lot more variety in party composition.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Anything harder than normal is just irritating. Normal is the equivalent of "hard" for most games. DAge is one of the only games where you absolutely should not feel bad for playing it on easy.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Go to the Circle of Magi first to get the healer.

The game gets easier as you level up and get better armor, weapons and items. By the end, my guys were equipped with just about all the best gear in the game. The game was cake after that. Mages with Blood Magic and AOE make the game too easy. My rouge could solo orange mobs. Yellow was a joke. Hardest part is getting through the early levels without a healer.

My rouge at the end was wearing heavy armor and backstabbing for 100+ damage. And that's with me messing up her build.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Played on normal, in the first playthrough I got wiped out four times in total, with me as a dual wielding Warrior, Alistair, Sten and Morrigan.

Only gave Morrigan the Heal talent, and rely on Health Poultices for the rest.

Never had any real problem except with the Brecilian Forest Revenants, but that's because I wasn't even level 10 when I faced them. Not even Redcliffe gave me trouble, only Sten died because I forgot to move him away from the fire in the first part of the whole encounter.

So no, I don't think it's too difficult.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
I first noticed the extreme difficulty at the first fight in the castle (before the king gets killed), when you had to work your way up to light the torch. I didn't have Morrigan, nor a healer. After about 15 tries, i was too frustrated to continue, so i switched to easy. It was the only way. Don't know what Bioware were thinking.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 teardropmina

Don't know what Bioware were thinking.Nighteg

they simply took into consideration their fans back in the BG days, not simply the new horde gathered since KotOR and ME.

hard and nightmare are close to the core rule setting in BG games, and thus are sutiable for BG/dnd veterans to start the game with. the nightmare difficulty is actually much easier than the tactics mod of BG2 at core rule, which many BG2 veterans play.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

I think Dragon Age: Origins became easier (on Hard) after I disabled the party AI and started to assign the commands manually for each ´party member.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teardropmina

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. Planeforger

I totally disagree. I finished it first time through with a rogue, a bard, a templar and a healer (Wynn) on normal without much trouble at all. It is completely doable without Morrigan.

one mage is more than sufficient. on nightmare, I took out Flemeth with PC rogue, Oghren, Sten and Wynne; Branka with Oghren, Shale and Wynne.

Morrigan or one more mage (or two more) only makes the game easier.

DA:O's problem is its shallow cIass/level system which does not allow many creative party configuration from the get go: it's very hard not to be more or less generic.

pokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pokobo
Member since 2004 • 3150 Posts

Just depends on experience really. I played the game on normal from the beginning, and found it troubling without healing spells. The hardest moments in the beginning were battling that revenant on your way into redcliffe castle, or the undead invasion.

I also made the mistake of chosing to travel to Orzammar as my second Blight quest, and got stuck when I had to battle Jarvia, simply because my level really wasn't high enough. So I went out to do the Ciricle and Dalish quests, as well as most of the sidequests, netted some better equipment/spells/Wynne, and since then there has rarely been a case of me dying. The final battle with Branka was fairly easy. In fact, most of the deap roads bosses were quite simple with two mages, Alistair tanking and my rogue duel wielding some unique weapons.

I choose to micromanage all my battles, I don't like to let my party rely on tactics so much, so I'm pausing a lot. The only slots that I use are for Wynne to heal/lifeward/stonefist when paralyzed, Morrigan for Winter's Grasp on low hp enemies, and my other party members to take health poultices when they're at

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

[QUOTE="Nighteg"] Don't know what Bioware were thinking.teardropmina

they simply took into consideration their fans back in the BG days, not simply the new horde gathered since KotOR and ME.

hard and nightmare are close to the core rule setting in BG games, and thus are sutiable for BG/dnd veterans to start the game with. the nightmare difficulty is actually much easier than the tactics mod of BG2 at core rule, which many BG2 veterans play.

I agree. My first playthrough was on Hard. I died a lot but it brought back the feeling of the BGII days when every battle (well, almost every battle. See: Kobolds) was hard-fought and gave a good sense of accomplishment. Believe it or not, my first playthrough was with an elf wielding a 2-hander. And I ran with Dog, Alistair and Leliana. I burned through a lot of pots but it was doable: Overwhelm is a godsend.

My second run was with a DW warrior on NM, this time with Morrigan and Wynne, just to see what all the fuss about mages was about. Apart from having good experience with the game now, the mages made my life easier. Force Field FTW!

If you find this game too difficult, imagine if you played through BG2. Mages in that game were far stronger IMO [Time Stop / Contingency FTL].

r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#25 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

I played as a dual wielding rogue the first time around, and it's not difficult at all. You just have to be focused and prepared for each battle. A little common sense is all it takes (I didn't set tactics till I was at a higher level); you know what I mean--crowd controlling with Morrigan, assisting the tank in backstabbing his foes and opening up weaknesses with Leliana...it's still pretty easy right now.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
[QUOTE="Im_single"]Set the difficulty on Easy.Yoshi25

I played on easy and I'm five..... Seriously, don't insult lower difficulties if the one your on is "EXTREMELY Difficult"
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Yes it is pretty hard, well i blame games in general being too easy nowadays, try the patch, it makes easy even easier!!
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I think Dragon Age: Origins became easier (on Hard) after I disabled the party AI and started to assign the commands manually for each ´party member.

RyuRanVII
Indeed,I noticed that as well.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yoshi25
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"][QUOTE="Im_single"]Set the difficulty on Easy.gamerguy845

I played on easy and I'm five..... Seriously, don't insult lower difficulties if the one your on is "EXTREMELY Difficult"

Did you honestly find that insulting?
Barknip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Barknip
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts
Everyone here is wrong, this game needs to be patched for it become playable. There's a bug in the original game which doesn't scale enemies levels appropriately.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Everyone here is wrong, this game needs to be patched for it become playable. There's a bug in the original game which doesn't scale enemies levels appropriately.Barknip
What it does without the patch? scale the enemies hihgher or keep them as they were?
CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Do you think its more difficult than BG II and NWN series?

I think the lack of DnD rules makes it easier.

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Yoshi25

Do you think its more difficult than BG II and NWN series?

I think the lack of DnD rules makes it easier.

CDudu
I've never played those. This is my first game with this style of gameplay.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. [QUOTE="Yoshi25"][QUOTE="Im_single"]Set the difficulty on Easy.Swiftstrike5

I found most of it to be pretty easy on normal, I tried beating it on nightmare but I couldn't get past the high dragon(optional) so I just gave up and never touched the game again.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

mrbojangles25

I would have killed me over and over again, but I decided to bring in WoW techniques regarding kiting and almost all bossfights became relatively straight forward afterwards.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

It's about tactic I guess. Play on normal, use F5 frequently and think with who to attack first and use pause a lot in combat.

Barknip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Barknip
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

[QUOTE="Barknip"]Everyone here is wrong, this game needs to be patched for it become playable. There's a bug in the original game which doesn't scale enemies levels appropriately.dakan45
What it does without the patch? scale the enemies hihgher or keep them as they were?

If you don't patch the game, some enemies are scaled to a higher level then your party, leading to hard fights. Although without the patch easy isn't bugged, this leads to a big gap between easy difficulty and normal difficulty. I played the game pretty much halfway through without patching it, I struggled a fair bit, some fights were so hard it sapped the fun out of the game. After patching, it was much more balanced.

Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

I'm playing it on hard and having fun. Having beaten the Icewind Dale series, calling this game difficult is a bit too much considering it's type of gameplay.

Crowd control + Aggro control = victory

The game requires some tactical decisions in combat which makes theit very interesting and enjoyable. I was sick of dumped down rpgs by Bioware(Mass Effect, KOTOR) so this is like fresh air.

Flame shield : I DO NOT think Mass Effect and KOTOR are bad games, they are just too easy. Don't get me wrong people.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguy845"][QUOTE="Yoshi25"] It's on Normal right now and I really don't want to play on a difficulty level made for a 3 year old.Yoshi25

No... I was being sarcastic. I do think it's funny that the OP is making fun of lower difficulties yet he can't manage on the one he's on. The reason I switched to easy was because I didn't want to spend an hour planning out one boss fight. May be fun for others, just not me.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Yoshi25
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"][QUOTE="gamerguy845"] I played on easy and I'm five..... Seriously, don't insult lower difficulties if the one your on is "EXTREMELY Difficult"gamerguy845

No... I was being sarcastic. I do think it's funny that the OP is making fun of lower difficulties yet he can't manage on the one he's on. The reason I switched to easy was because I didn't want to spend an hour planning out one boss fight. May be fun for others, just not me.

Well, I am the OP. The reason I was "making fun" of the lower difficulty is because with most games the jump between Easy and Normal is usually drastic. In the case of this game, easy is too easy and normal is hard for newbies.
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Yeah this game was kicking my ass on normal when I first started playing. You just have to get used to the game play and it will become easier.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

To those of you who have played both Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate 2, which game do you think was harder? Personally, I thought BG2 was harder, because I never really had a good understanding of the DnD rules....

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#44 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I've just started, it hasn't been too hard. I died in the castle the first time (all party wiped) then again in the first town to the north. Bigger battles usually kill one or two of my guys but I think I'm getting a bit better at the combat. So far I wouldn't say it's very difficulty on hard, a good challenge. Plus you can quick save before a battle.
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

To those of you who have played both Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate 2, which game do you think was harder? Personally, I thought BG2 was harder, because I never really had a good understanding of the DnD rules....

Guppy507

I found BG2 harder too, especially the ones with undead that can drain levels. And Liches.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 teardropmina

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

kimkim01

I found BG2 harder too, especially the ones with undead that can drain levels. And Liches.

that's BG2 Vampire, which drains levels on hit.

like I said, dnd veterans will find the hard-nightmare of DA:O about the same as the core rule of BG2.

compared to BG2, DA:O is much easier. the rule set is action-RPG-ilzed (mana? talent tree?) and no really fearsome monsters to fight. 3 attribute points to spend at each level up? that's just ridiculous. when you can pump a warrior ST or a rogue's DEX to 40-50 range, they are gods yet have no god-like creatures to fight.

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Yoshi25

Well, I think I am officially stuck at the Redcliffe invasion. I turned the difficulty down to easy, but once I get informed of the invasion near the village, I hold them off for awhile and eventually die. I think this is due to my lack of a healing party member. Is there anyway to exit the invasion so I can build up a better party?

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Yoshi25

bump

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts
I beat the game using 2 warriors (one having brute force, and another a balanced one), 1 mage and 1 rouge. Wasn't too tough at the beginning, but the game became really, really challenging at half way point. Started to get beaten by regular enemies ,too. Then I turned my mage in to a healer + herbalist and things started getting better. Make sure to have loads of health poultices (preferably 99 of lesser health poultice and health poultice) with you all the time. Should be okay. I finished in easy difficulty though.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts

Well, I think I am officially stuck at the Redcliffe invasion. I turned the difficulty down to easy, but once I get informed of the invasion near the village, I hold them off for awhile and eventually die. I think this is due to my lack of a healing party member. Is there anyway to exit the invasion so I can build up a better party?

Yoshi25
Use ranged weapons and fire away from far. Keep your tank character in melee mode and use lots of health poultices and armor/offence increasing buffs on him (if available).