Dragon Age Origins Difficulty

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Yoshi25
Member since 2004 • 4488 Posts
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"]

Well, I think I am officially stuck at the Redcliffe invasion. I turned the difficulty down to easy, but once I get informed of the invasion near the village, I hold them off for awhile and eventually die. I think this is due to my lack of a healing party member. Is there anyway to exit the invasion so I can build up a better party?

DeadManRollin
Use ranged weapons and fire away from far. Keep your tank character in melee mode and use lots of health poultices and armor/offence increasing buffs on him (if available).

That's the thing..I only have 5 on me at the moment. My saved file starts at the beginning of the fight so I can't buy any more poultices.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

That's the thing..I only have 5 on me at the moment. My saved file starts at the beginning of the fight so I can't buy any more poultices.Yoshi25

maybe go back earlier save to start again: pile up hp and mana potions, which is very easy in this game (or making the game too easy).

there are quite a few preparation quests leading up to that battle, I have no idea why people would rush to the fight unprepared and expect it an easy battle.

if you're properly prepared, this particular fight is easiest with brute force -- the ideal party would be 3 fighters (all warriors or a combination of warrior and rogue) and one mage. the key is to finish the undeads as quickly as possible; once you get the upperhand, especially if you go out of the fence to attack, undeads will stop coming.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I haven't gotten too far into DA:O yet, but something I've noticed in my several hours of play is that the game is essentially a single player MMO in terms of gameplay. Thus, you need to set your party up as you would an MMO party. You need a nuker (a person that can dish out a lot of damage very quickly, usually means a mage or a rogue), crowd control (a mage with a lot of AoE spells), a healer, and a tank (a character whose sole purpose is to grab and hold the enemy's attention and be a damage sponge). Thus, if things go ideally, you should have only one character that you need to worry about healing, you should have a guy who is doing nothing but making sure that tank stays alive, and everyone else should be killing the living **** out of everything else (with your crowd control character making sure that you only have to take on a small number of enemies at a time).

The issue with the game though (from what I've seen of it thus far) is that there aren't a whole lot of healing spells or aggro attacks. As a result, healers and tanks are pretty incompetent in this game.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#54 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4415 Posts

You will have autosaves of most levels/critical plot twists. Look in to them; I am sure you will find one that starts before the battle, or even at the beginning of the Redcliffe level. I found this level to be quite difficult, too. But like I said, focus on one enemy at a time. Press "Ctrl + A" or "=" to select your entire party, and attack one enemy. Never get isolated, keep your whole party together. [spoiler] Also, did you convince the dwarf and other NPCs to help you in the battle? They are good non playable allies who will fend off the darkspawn for quite some time. Make that armourer dude (who hides in his home) create armours for you, have a positive conversation with the commander (he and the army will be inspired and will fight better) and also convince the dwarf that refuses to come to join your cause. Go to the warehouse to use oil barrels on the enemies [/spoiler] The battle is tough, but you should win if you can use the tips inside the spoiler box

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Unless you have a healer (mage) and someone with crowd control (another mage), you will most likely be unable to complete it even on easy. Bioware is force feeding their players the most generic group structure in order to beat the game. Swiftstrike5

I totally disagree. I finished it first time through with a rogue (damage dealer), a bard (support/damage), a templar (tank) and a healer (Wynn) on normal without much trouble at all. It is completely doable without Morrigan.

Warriors can easily maintain aggro and easily tank it when they're being buffed by a bard AND a healer. There's no need for crowd control in your case. If you didn't have that bard, your tank would probably have a hard time tanking and there would be a need for another mage for crowd control. Is the game even possible without Wynn? = Bad design decision.

Yes, it is possible without Wynne. Use your Pause function judiciously, as there's nothing telling you to rush through every skirmish. Buy up the healing poultices and mushrooms, then place them inside the Quickbar for each NPC (lyrium for Morrigan).

Then during your Pauses, you can simply click to take healing or stamina, and keep your tanks going in he absence of a healer.

Edit: set your Tactics to take a healing poultice if health is < 10% or 25%.

James_Ranor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 James_Ranor
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

This game seems to punish you a lot if you don't min-max your characters to death, kind of takes the fun out of the game when you make a single error (due to being the first time playing) and cannot progress further until either you grind yourself retarded or restart. Makes it nearly impossible to complete any of the side quests until I'm way over the level I should be and by then what's the point?

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

This game seems to punish you a lot if you don't min-max your characters to death, kind of takes the fun out of the game when you make a single error (due to being the first time playing) and cannot progress further until either you grind yourself retarded or restart. Makes it nearly impossible to complete any of the side quests until I'm way over the level I should be and by then what's the point?

James_Ranor

It seems someone has just used a resurrection spell...:P

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

This is how i played on the hardest..

Pause

*Do action

Unpause

*action is done / being cast*

Pause

*Do another action

*unpause

*wait*

*repeat*

Basicly playing the game like its turn based help alot... Well tbh it would not be that hard if the companions AI was better then a stone on the ground ^^

But i like the game anyway :P

-Rivfader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 -Rivfader-
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts

Do yourself a favor and return the game and get your money back.Its awful.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58448 Posts

easy is pretty much mandatory for the first few levels if you'd like to keep your sanity.

Ive tried so many times, and quite frankly I dont see how anyone could... [spoiler] ... beat that first ogre in the tower in the beginning of the game [/spoiler]

the game is terrifically fun at harder difficulties once you get some skills and a party that works for you, thoguh

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 KalDurenik

I can tell you :)

Due to bad AI you can... run

Not to destroy it for anyone ^^

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58448 Posts

I can tell you :)

Due to bad AI you can... run

Not to destroy it for anyone ^^

KalDurenik

what do you mean run? like run away?

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 KalDurenik

Well by running i meant that a person... or whatever there is that have agro. Can run in circles around the boss while he will just stand there and try to hit that target. (note try). But because its so slow and dumb (AI) he will fail and you will win. If he change target just repeat with that one.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

Well, I think I am officially stuck at the Redcliffe invasion. I turned the difficulty down to easy, but once I get informed of the invasion near the village, I hold them off for awhile and eventually die. I think this is due to my lack of a healing party member. Is there anyway to exit the invasion so I can build up a better party?

Yoshi25
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER You can tell them that you don't want to help them, leave and come back later. You'll skip the protecting the village part entirely, though there'll be some extra undeads in the castle they aren't really any threat. Though won't do if you're RPing a good character, but it's an option .

James_Ranor
No it doesn't, I play quite creatively with my characters frequently respeccing to try different tactics, all in all you can't really go wrong. Have one who's capable of healing, and preferebly a tank and then you're set. You can finish it with 4 rogues on nightmare too, but that does require some strategy... I play on hard by the way.
kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

Its not that hard when you find your perfect party and every non boss battle becomes easy when you get Blood Wound spell . Arcane warrior makes game too easy as its super overpowered class.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Vfanek

Its not that hard when you find your perfect party and every non boss battle becomes easy when you get Blood Wound spell . Arcane warrior makes game too easy as its super overpowered class.

kazakauskas
Then chose another class? Patch the game if you haven't by the way, the class had some severe bugs in the 1.0 version, which made playing it change the difficulty to Very Easy, if anything.
kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

[QUOTE="kazakauskas"]

Vfanek

Then chose another class? Patch the game if you haven't by the way, the class had some severe bugs in the 1.0 version, which made playing it change the difficulty to Very Easy, if anything.

Im using 1.02 and still some classes are very overpowered and other are underpowered , and this makes some party combos very hard and other very easy

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Vfanek

[QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="kazakauskas"]

kazakauskas

Im using 1.02 and still some classes are very overpowered and other are underpowered , and this makes some party combos very hard and other very easy

The game isn't based around minmaxing, so again.. Chose another class if you think one is too powerful.
Glen_Runciter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 187

#69 Glen_Runciter
Member since 2011 • 111 Posts

wow, you are such an RPG expert!
now, I've been playing lots of D&D games, hate the stupid combat system of Mass Effect, and still find this game way too hard, and the party tactics unmanagable, can you explain to me how is the problem with me, not with the FUBAR combat system of DA?
this game should have had a clasic turn-based system, but noooooooo, EA doesn't want that, cause the console crowd won't play it. the current system is nothing but a way to cover for the exclusion of a proper combat system.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Ancient thread is ancient.