Cliffy B's stance on PC gaming

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I know what you are probably going to say... "Who?" and I wouldn't blame you. Honestly I don't really believe in what the people from Epic have said in the past few years and I don't believe it now. But here is what he thinks about PC gaming for all that care.
Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
If he would have his head out of his ****ing Ass,he'd see that there's a LOT more games on PC than the Sims and WoW,but ignorance is bliss among the masses i suppose.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
The opinion of a fool, nothing more.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 smokeydabear076
If he would have his head out of his ****ing Ass,he'd see that there's a LOT more games on PC than the Sims and WoW,but ignorance is bliss among the masses i suppose.Indestructible2
I think that he is saying this stuff because UT3 is doing very poorly on the PC(or so I have heard). First they basically accuse all PC gamers of being pirates and then they say we love our PC gamer fanbase, we want you to buy UT3 and make mods for it and now they are back to we don't care.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts
There's a thread on this right here. The general consensus is who cares?- we got Valve.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 smokeydabear076
The opinion of a fool, nothing more.JP_Russell
Indeed.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 smokeydabear076
There's a thread on this right here. The general consensus is who cares?- we got Valve.mfsa
Oh I missed it, sorry to the person who made that thread.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

[QUOTE="Indestructible2"]If he would have his head out of his ****ing Ass,he'd see that there's a LOT more games on PC than the Sims and WoW,but ignorance is bliss among the masses i suppose.smokeydabear076
I think that he is saying this stuff because UT3 is doing very poorly on the PC(or so I have heard). First they basically accuse all PC gamers of being pirates and then they say we love our PC gamer fanbase, we want you to buy UT3 and make mods for it and now they are back to we don't care.

Well unfortunately there are many pirates (low lifes) out there. Even some gamespot forum members have admitted to it! For shame! :roll:

Which hurts PC gaming no matter what anyone says.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Indestructible2"]If he would have his head out of his ****ing Ass,he'd see that there's a LOT more games on PC than the Sims and WoW,but ignorance is bliss among the masses i suppose.GPAddict

Well unfortunately there are many pirates (low lifes) out there. Even some gamespot forum members have admitted to it! For shame! :roll:

Yeah that is unfortunate.
Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Indestructible2"]If he would have his head out of his ****ing Ass,he'd see that there's a LOT more games on PC than the Sims and WoW,but ignorance is bliss among the masses i suppose.GPAddict

I wouldn't go so far as to call all pirates low lives, many are just teenagers anxious to play videogames, me and my friend used to pirate videogames all the time but once we got ourselves jobs we started purchasing everything.Theres nothing wrong with admitting to it as long as you agree that is was wrong.
EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

What do they expect? They remake an old game we all loved with new graphics with very little new content and no one buys? Most people who have been gaming for ten years are fed up with the unreal tournament series. It's old and stale. Gears well, we all saw what that really was and we didn't care.

Plus the games they make require insane hardware to run enjoyably. This is there own doing and it happened to Crytek as well. They can learn a lesson from Blizzard and Valve. Make your games playable to most people and not just the high end users. Also try something different. You don't have to remake UT games for the rest of your careers or games on tropical islands.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JP_Russell

True, but it hurts it more in the sense that it makes logically braindead devs think they're losing a lot of money because of it, when that really isn't the case as I guarantee most pirates would not buy a game instead if they couldn't pirate it (just look at the attitude of our own aforementioned forum members, the thought of [gasp!] buying games is horrible to them). If you look at it in the sense of how many more sales they would get if pirates all started buying instead, then hell yeah, it's hurting them. But you have to look at as, if there were no piracy [meaning, it weren't even a concept], would game sales soar up? No, because as said, most of the people pirating wouldn't buy the games if they couldn't pirate them. Essentially, they wouldn't game at all.

crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

I already figured for the most part they dont care much about anyone really, just where the money is at. In the Bonus content of UT3, they said it was awesome that you could go compete in their games(guessing with UT99-UT04) and wanted to help the competitive community.

Yet when asked if they would put competitive features in UT3 before it came out they had said they didnt care about competitions and wanted their game to be fun, not meant for pros.

Yeah, after that, I just learned they really dont care about anything other then making a profit and getting high sale numbers. Makes me sad though =\.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

ok piracy nothing to do with this. Why, because to make the most of this game you HAVE to take it online. freeloaders who pirate this game, if they really like it would have bought it for the online play.

cnow rysis easy to pirate, higher system req, sells 1million in less than 3 months. still not on sale price here in the UK. what does that tell ya.

UT3, already on sale.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Is any one surprised ? seeing UT 3, it was pretty obvious the consoles were their only focus. Ah well, seeing if they are more intersted in making geow like shooters, for me its not a big loss.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

From the Epic forums:

Wartourist: Cliffy doesnt speak for Epic. He is head of the GoW team, not the UT division. We will never forget our true fanbase.

They've had a helluva time on those forums today. CliffyB is an idiot and apparantly gets stupider everyday. He lashes out at microsoft, he lashes out at wii owners, now he's lashing out at the pc gamer community. I dont know what his problem is. He's quickly heading down John Romero road. It won't be long now until he's crushed by the weight of his own inflated ego

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimhogg
Member since 2004 • 747 Posts
he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free..
jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimhogg

If he would have his head out of his ****ing Ass,he'd see that there's a LOT more games on PC than the Sims and WoW,but ignorance is bliss among the masses i suppose.Indestructible2

but they don't sell worth anything...

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TeamR

he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. jimhogg

Crysis has sold over 1 million and is still selling strong:

http://kotaku.com/351661/crysis-comeback-moves-1-million-copies

get...your...facts....straight

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JP_Russell

From the Epic forums:

Wartourist: Cliffy doesnt speak for Epic. He is head of the GoW team, not the UT division. We will never forget our true fanbase.

They've had a helluva time on those forums today. CliffyB is an idiot and apparantly gets stupider everyday. He lashes out at microsoft, he lashes out at wii owners, now he's lashing out at the pc gamer community. I dont know what his problem is. He's quickly heading down John Romero road. It won't be long now until he's crushed by the weight of his own inflated ego

TeamR

Ah, good to know.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jimhogg

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. TeamR

that's pc's biggest hitter... compared to mass effect, not even the biggest game at already 2 million..

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="TeamR"]

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. jimhogg

that's pc's biggest hitter... compared to mass effect, not even the biggest game at already 2 million..

First of all, PC's biggest hitter? No. It's a pretty popular game, but it's not the biggest hitter. The Witcher hit a million long before Crysis did, and it's not even as high profile a game. Second of all, prove that other games are not selling well. Just prove it. Don't use any NPD sales figures, show us figures that are worldwide and include both retail and digital distribution.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
Epic left the PC when they decided to make Gears with MS for the 360, years ago. Epic hasn't made a good PC game since UT2K4, and some would even argue that UT99 was the last great title. Gears PC is a sloppy port.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JP_Russell

Epic left the PC when they decided to make Gears with MS for the 360, years ago. Epic hasn't made a good PC game since UT2K4, and some would even argue that UT99 was the last great title. Gears PC is a sloppy port.mismajor99

As noted by TeamR, Cliffy B does not speak on behalf of Epic.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
[QUOTE="TeamR"]

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. jimhogg

Since when did sales=quality? That's a poor argument. The Witcher is a better RPG than Mass Effect, yet it hasn't sold as well.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jimhogg
[QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="TeamR"]

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. JP_Russell

First of all, PC's biggest hitter? No. It's a pretty popular game, but it's not the biggest hitter. The Witcher hit a million long before Crysis did, and it's not even as high profile a game. Second of all, prove that other games are not selling well. Just prove it. Don't use any NPD sales figures, show us figures that are worldwide and include both retail and digital distribution.

anywhere you go crysis is the most talked about game ok? don't be delusional.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jimhogg

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. mismajor99

Since when did sales=quality? That's a poor argument. The Witcher is a better RPG than Mass Effect, yet it hasn't sold as well.

now that is your opinion. they are the same.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts
[QUOTE="TeamR"]

What's your point?

Take an airline, and compare the number of coach cIass tickets sold with the number of business cIass tickets sold. What does it prove?

The PC is holding up very well, it's not the most popular - but neither is business cIass. It's more expensive, it's arguably better and the seething, unwashed masses won't get to enjoy it - but those who do live by it.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="TeamR"]

anywhere you go crysis is the most talked about game ok? don't be delusional.

That's not the point, it's not about what games are "most talked about." There are games that have higher sales than Crysis (that aren't WoW or Sims or any of the other incredibly high sellers). The Witcher isn't as talked about, yet, as I said, it sold a million before Crysis did. You're trying to argue that because Crysis is the biggest hitter (which it isn't, the biggest hitter is not determined by how much it's talked about alone), the gaming industry must be doing poorly because Crysis hasn't received insane sales, so all the games "less talked about" must be getting lower sales. And that isn't the case.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
I think we're fairly close to a System Wars-thread right now...
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
PC gaming and sales shouldn't be discussed. As long as people buy PC's there will be games for them, it was never really meant as a main gaming platform but just a supplement.
jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jimhogg

call of duty 4 has sold approximately 7 million worldwide. 360 sales are 3.3 million, ps3 2.5, and pc 1.2..

pc games don't sell as well anymore, it's a shame too because pc's will always be ahead of consoles.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jimhogg

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. mfsa

What's your point?

Take an airline, and compare the number of coach cIass tickets sold with the number of business cIass tickets sold. What does it prove?

The PC is holding up very well, it's not the most popular - but neither is business cIass. It's more expensive, it's arguably better and the seething, unwashed masses won't get to enjoy it - but those who do live by it.

i get what you're saying, i'm just trying to prove that console games sell better. pc games are the best though. you can really push games to the max. that's why i can't wait for mass effect in may..

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 naval
[QUOTE="TeamR"]

cod 4 was selling much better than crysis everywhere. OB pc even outsold 360 version at retail. Cnc 3, witcher etc all have sold quite well

also, those ME numbers are shipped ones

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jimhogg

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. naval

cod 4 was selling much better than crysis everywhere. OB pc even outsold 360 version at retail. Cnc 3, witcher etc all have sold quite well

the ME numbers are the # of games sold.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

From the Epic forums:

TeamR

Part of me wants to be cynical and say ,"Yeah, right." But I'm guessing there's plenty of good folk over there that actually believe that the PC is their focus, and that Cliffy B is just shooting his mouth off like usual.

Regardless, it's getting pretty damn tiresome to hear the PC gaming is dying crap for the umpteenth time. The market is out there, just because your game failed to find it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Try catering to the fanbase instead of trying to cash in on the mainstream.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jimhogg

[QUOTE="jimhogg"]he does make sense guys. i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great... too many people just download for free.. naval

and cod4 is only just above 1 mil..

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TeamR

i get what you're saying, i'm just trying to prove that console games sell better. pc games are the best though. you can really push games to the max. that's why i can't wait for mass effect in may..

jimhogg

You can't say that. I mean...what games are you looking at? you think posting some CoD4 numbers makes a difference? how about noting how games like WoW, lineage 2 and the sims have some well over 10 million copies EACH. WoW being probably the most profitable videogame of all time. What do you say about that?

It's different strokes for different folks. All this comparing and digging up false numbers is just getting really old

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 naval
[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="TeamR"]

the ME numbers are the # of games sold.

ah, well MS generally gives shipped numbers. just like it gave halo 3's number as 8 million or something and cod4 was the highest selling fps last year with 7 million. since they mentioned ME alognside it, i guess that would also be shipped numbers

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 naval
[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="TeamR"]

and cod4 is only just above 1 mil..

link ?? because i believe your are usign vgchartz and i don't trust that

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JP_Russell

jimhogg

Well, no one's trying to argue that console games don't sell better, but you're trying to say PC gaming is doing poorly, and it most certainly is not.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jimhogg
[QUOTE="jimhogg"]

TeamR

You can't say that. I mean...what games are you looking at? you think posting some CoD4 numbers makes a difference? how about noting how games like WoW, lineage 2 and the sims have some well over 10 million copies EACH. WoW being probably the most profitable videogame of all time. What do you say about that?

It's different strokes for different folks. All this comparing and digging up false numbers is just getting really old

i'm not digging up false numbers...

wow has 10 million online after a few years...

compared to halo 3 at 8 million in a few months...

i know pc games are better...

i'm only talking about sales...

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jimhogg
[QUOTE="jimhogg"]

JP_Russell

Well, no one's trying to argue that console games don't sell better, but you're trying to say PC gaming is doing poorly, and it most certainly is not.

i never said it was doing poorly... sorry if you took that interpretation.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TeamR

jimhogg

10 million isnt the number of units sold. WoW+TBC has sold WAAY more than 10 million. Thats the number of ACTIVE subscribers. As in, thats the number of people paying ~$15 a month to play. Not only has WoW sold more units than halo3, it continues to rake in profits because of it's subscription model.

So by your own flawed logic, since halo3 has been so handily outdone by WoW, maybe it's the console market thats dying, right? ;)

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="jimhogg"]

jimhogg

Well, you said "i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great..." Since you said Crysis wasn't selling great, and also implied that it must be one of the highest sellers since it's the "heaviest hitter," I could only infer you meant that if a heavy hitter like Crysis wasn't doing well, then less prominent titles were doing even worse. That's why it sounded like you were saying PC gaming in general is doing poorly. That, and the fact that you said PC games aren't selling really well besides WoW, which is untrue, they are.

EDIT - And another thing, remember that PC games sell more consistently over time, whereas console sales are mostly just in the initial phase. This means that comparing a console title's and PC title's sales by a certain relatively short amount of time after they've been released is automatically a slanted comparison in favor of the consoles, whereas comparing copies sold after a long period of time when both titles have stopped selling significantly is much fairer.

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jimhogg
[QUOTE="jimhogg"]

TeamR

10 million isnt the number of units sold. WoW+TBC has sold WAAY more than 10 million. Thats the number of ACTIVE subscribers. As in, thats the number of people paying ~$15 a month to play. Not only has WoW sold more units than halo3, it continues to rake in profits because of it's subscription model.

So by your own flawed logic, since halo3 has been so handily outdone by WoW, maybe it's the console market thats dying, right? ;)

how long has wow been out? that's right since 2004...

halo 3's been out for what half a year?

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
think how good gears could have done if it had released on pc same day as 360 and think how good ut3 would have done if it didnt have an insane number of rpoblems at luanch. If they wanna call out the sales they have to give it an equal oppurtunity for sales.
jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jimhogg
[QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="jimhogg"]

JP_Russell

Well, you said "i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great..." Since you said Crysis wasn't selling great, and also implied that it must be one of the highest sellers since it's the "heaviest hitter," I could only infer you meant that if a heavy hitter like Crysis wasn't doing well, then less prominent titles were doing even worse. That's why it sounded like you were saying PC gaming in general is doing poorly. That, and the fact that you said PC games aren't selling really well besides WoW, which is untrue, they are.

EDIT - And another thing, remember that PC games sell more consistently over time, whereas console sales are mostly just in the initial sales. This means that comparing a console title and PC title sales by a certain amount of time after they've been released is automatically a slanted comparison in favor of the consoles, whereas comparing copies sold after a long period of time when both titles have stopped selling significantly is much fairer.

yes. but consoles will most likely always sell more games than pc's mainly because of the casual gamers. which is fine with me. they can have their shovelware games based on movies, i'm pretty much going wherever bioware goes... so pc is looking good. ME, new mmorpg (possibly kotor3) another next gen game, and of course dragon age.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TeamR

how long has wow been out? that's right since 2004...

halo 3's been out for what half a year?

jimhogg

Your about 1 mile away from the point.

Active subscribers means there are more people playing a 4 year old WoW than every single person that bought halo3. And they all pay monthly to do it

WoW = $$$$$$$$$$

Halo3 = $$$

money money money