Cliffy B's stance on PC gaming

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts

I wouldn't call Cliffy B a fool, he and his company have done some great things for PC gaming. That said though it seems like he and Mark Rein are on some kind of crusade to derail PC gaming. All I see from them lately is PC bashing comments and frankly I've had enough. I didn't pickup UT3, but planned to. I really wanted to play GoW on the PC, but forget it I'm not buying another one of their games again at least until they change their stinky stance.

Just to add, it really rubs me the wrong way to blame your customers on your poor sales. Has anyone ever seen a commercial for GoW or UT3 for the PC? Oh I thought not. I see 'em all the time for the consoles. Hmm you think there's a correlation between sales and advertising...

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

The publishers market the games not the developers.Deihmos

Well then I guess they should blame the fans huh...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#103 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I wouldn't call Cliffy B a fool, he and his company have done some great things for PC gaming. That said though it seems like he and Mark Rein are on some kind of crusade to derail PC gaming. All I see from them lately is PC bashing comments and frankly I've had enough. I didn't pickup UT3, but planned to. I really wanted to play GoW on the PC, but forget it I'm not buying another one of their games again at least until they change their stinky stance.

Just to add, it really rubs me the wrong way to blame your customers on your poor sales. Has anyone ever seen a commercial for GoW or UT3 for the PC? Oh I thought not. I see 'em all the time for the consoles. Hmm you think there's a correlation between sales and advertising...

Krall

I don't know about the USA but here down under there are like no commercials for PC games at all..

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ElArab
[QUOTE="Krall"]

biggest_loser

I don't know about the USA but here down under there are like no commercials for PC games at all..

Only commercials I saw are for Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Lost Oddysey, and Drakes Fortune...hmm, majority seem to be 360 exclusives, haha, Microsoft seems to give their platform all the attention, oh, and there's that PS3 commercial where the PS3 is having a drug trip morphing into all sorts of things and a song is playing going "BOOM DO YOU WANT IT?!?!" .

It's amazing how well off PC gaming is when it has virtually no marketing.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 biggest_loser
So true: we should start a thread or something for our own PC games adveritsement posters or something!
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Krall"]

ElArab

Only commercials I saw are for Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Lost Oddysey, and Drakes Fortune...hmm, majority seem to be 360 exclusives, haha, Microsoft seems to give their platform all the attention, oh, and there's that PS3 commercial where the PS3 is having a drug trip morphing into all sorts of things and a song is playing going "BOOM DO YOU WANT IT?!?!" .

Those were PC game commercials? Last one I saw for the PC was for Civilization IV.

Granted part of the advertising for consoles is prolly built into the pricing/licencing structure, but gimmie a break Epic if PC gaming is in 'dissarray' you guys certainly aren't helping out matters with your remarks or lack of solutions. I doubt I'd be going out on a limb saying they've made a comfy living off of the PC titles they sold over the years.

Impulsive20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Impulsive20
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
Cliffy B Is a great map maker had some great maps in UT99 and is still going strong,
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I am kinda with Krall on this one. I can understand how epic wants to venture out into new territories for new markets for their sub-par games (IMO), but blaming the customers for their products' failures is just classless, tasteless and just downright rude. I can see Cliffy B's ego crushing him under its own weight one day, like John Romero's did.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

I am kinda with Krall on this one. I can understand how epic wants to venture out into new territories for new markets for their sub-par games (IMO), but blaming the customers for their products' failures is just classless, tasteless and just downright rude. I can see Cliffy B's ego crushing him under its own weight one day, like John Romero's did.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

I don't remember John Romero being a dick like this...but I do remember how hard Daikatana failed and how quickly disappeared from gaming.

I blame the hair...

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts
[QUOTE="FragMonkey09"]

THis is blasphemous! The ONLY REASON Cliffy B is anyonbody is because of his successes on the PC.

He is just after money like everyone else.

jimhogg

isn't that the purpose of a business?

Um ya, but at the same time if that is the only motivator (passion) to drive the business, then to me that just messed up! That is the problem with America today, example look at Enron, those dudes didnt care doing whats right, they just saw $$$, and they did whatever it took to get it, even if it meant doing wrong. Pathetic LOSERS!!!

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

As I've said before, if they want to leave the PC Gaming market they are more then welcome. We have a ton of Indie/Small PC developing companies ready to take their place anyways.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 biggest_loser

As I've said before, if they want to leave the PC Gaming market they are more then welcome. We have a ton of Indie/Small PC developing companies ready to take their place anyways.

Cdscottie

Definitely. It was a little know polish developer that released the RPG of the year in The Witcher - I would buy that over Unreal Tournament 3 anyday.

Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts
The opinion of a fool, nothing more.JP_Russell
Exactly the pc takes the lead in every genre of game except for the sports and some of the racing games. Plus our next gen tech make the games better. And gow doesn't seem worth buying even though its available for the pc.
Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Krall"]

ElArab

Yeah microsoft's games for windows project ain't really working to well. There aren't a lot commercials for all the blockbuster award winning games for the pc, it's as though the industry really doesn't give pc games their deserved praise and acclaim. The game industry needs to take hold and push the pc as a equal to the wii, ps3. and 360, I think it is and does have untapped potential for being even better than the rest, they just have to spend time marketing pc's and the under rated and extremely good exclusives and multi-platform games.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#115 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Well since they can't seem to track direct download sales, it doesn't seem like we'll ever know for sure the true health of the PC gaming market. One indicator is developers leaving the market but you don't see a mass exodus. For every Epic going out the door, there is a CD Projekt Red (The Witcher) and GSC Game World (Stalker) coming in, it's the circle of life.;)
togusss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 togusss
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts
[QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="jimhogg"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="jimhogg"]

i get what you're saying, i'm just trying to prove that console games sell better. pc games are the best though. you can really push games to the max. that's why i can't wait for mass effect in may..

JP_Russell

Well, no one's trying to argue that console games don't sell better, but you're trying to say PC gaming is doing poorly, and it most certainly is not.

i never said it was doing poorly... sorry if you took that interpretation.

Well, you said "i mean sales of pc games haven't been the best besides of course wow.. but other then that, i mean even crysis isn't selling great..." Since you said Crysis wasn't selling great, and also implied that it must be one of the highest sellers since it's the "heaviest hitter," I could only infer you meant that if a heavy hitter like Crysis wasn't doing well, then less prominent titles were doing even worse. That's why it sounded like you were saying PC gaming in general is doing poorly. That, and the fact that you said PC games aren't selling really well besides WoW, which is untrue, they are.

EDIT - And another thing, remember that PC games sell more consistently over time, whereas console sales are mostly just in the initial sales. This means that comparing a console title and PC title sales by a certain amount of time after they've been released is automatically a slanted comparison in favor of the consoles, whereas comparing copies sold after a long period of time when both titles have stopped selling significantly is much fairer.

yes. but consoles will most likely always sell more games than pc's mainly because of the casual gamers.

I agree, they do sell more as a whole. I'm just saying, comparing initial sales between consoles and PC's is an unfair comparison, and the consoles will appear to have more of an advantage over PC's than they really do. When you take into account all sales over time, the gap between consoles and PC's is much less prominent.

Also, don't forget there's also the advantage in sales statistics consoles have of being more than one platform. I mean, you're comparing the sales of one platform to the sales of at least three.

OMG that is it. The best proof of that pc games are selling way better then consoles as he says there are at leest 3 consoles and i dont think that a person will buy the game to all consoles IF he has them all and that i dont think maney have... So pc is the ultemate game machine :D ;)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Good for him, will the next great developer please stand up.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
[QUOTE="ElArab"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Krall"]

Krall

Those were PC game commercials? Last one I saw for the PC was for Civilization IV.

Crysis was advertised here in Florida (which of course probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't EA paying for it). I guess you could count Bioshock, too, even if the 360 was the lead platform.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="ElArab"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Krall"]

JP_Russell

Crysis was advertised here in Florida. (which of course probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't EA paying for it). I guess you could count Bioshock, too, even if the 360 was the lead platform.

Last PC game I saw advertised on screen in UK was the original Dawn of War, and that surprised the hell out of me.

Console games are regularly advertised, though - even handhelds.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
same here in the Netherlands. You'll never see a PC advertisement here except for the Sims, hell even World of Warcraft didn't get any advertisements what so ever. Yet we're bombarded by VERY annoying Nintendo commercials.
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 fenriz275  Online
Member since 2003 • 2386 Posts
I just can't do anything but laugh at someone who calls themselves Cliffy B. I mean how much of a geek are you to call yourself that? He must get beat up by the other developers everyday. Does his Mom put a Yoohoo in his lunch for him or does the sugar make him hyper? :lol: Cliffy B? I'm imagining Cliff from Cheers making "gang" signs. :P
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

Krall

true !

also they relesed geow 1 yr late and both ut 3 and geow in such a poor state on their release and then they expect people to buy their game

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 ElArab

Ya know imagine if Gears wasn't released when the 360 had only like, 3 games out for it. That's why it sold so well, because people were sick of playing Halo 2, they bought a 360 to play 360 games, not replay Halo 2 with that joke feature the 360 has called "backwards compatibility".

Now EPIC has a big stiffy for itself and think's they are so damn great, when the only reason they are still here is because Microsoft came and saved their sorry asses with GeOW's marketing and timing, if it was released later, then that game would have been considered "mediocre at best" - and c'mon, they totally got the Chainsaw bayonet thing from Dawn of War.

Now they release GeOW on PC a year later, and expect it to sell 4.5 million AGAIN, but sorry EPIC, it doesn't work that way, people don't buy the same game twice if they already have it on one problem, not every time that is. Then they repaint UT04 and call it UT3, where the only new mode is some Orb added into Onslaught, and then they expect that to sell too? Sorry EPIC, but, people want QUALITY games, and the GFW Live doesn't help with sales either. PC doesn't want Xbox live, you can't scam us like that (this is directed to microsoft.), there's only like, 3 games on GFW Live, why would we pay 60 bucks for achievments that don't matter?

-but no, just insult us and say "PC is only for sims and warcraft" as if you're a console tard yourself. I'm sorry you didn't expect your new daddy M$ to give you another 4.5 million by re-selling the same game a year later, Konami does the same with the Metal Gear games, every time they make one, they make another with extras, but it sure as hell doesn't sell as much as the original did.

I really shouldn't care so much about this guy's opinion, but, when people say stupid and ignorant things like that it just (as we say in the ghetto) puts my knickers in a twist.

slyde_jinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 slyde_jinx
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i read all the comments in this forum.

Personally, i agree with the fact that Cliffy B shouldn't blame the pc gamers community just because of the losses

Many games come out exclusively in consoles. They care less about the pc gamers.

Suddenly the games come out on pc and expect us to buy from them. When the sales failed, they blamed us.

I juz think its not fair for all the pc gamers.

they should apologize to us! Without us giving money to them by buying UT franchise long ago

Epic wouldn't be big company nowadays

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
Well it would be like a person trying to convert you into their church. If you don't follow them, they blast you, call you the worst thing in the world, and burn down your house. Basically, that is what Cliffy thinks. He thinks that if they stick Epics name on the game then PC gamers are suppose to automatically attracted to the game. It's the same with all games, if it doesn't appeal to the market you are marketting to then it won't sell. Plus, all he just did was insult every PC Gamer that purchased the game already saying "You know, you purchased the game but because you are a PC Gamer F you. We don't need your chump change"
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#126 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I've always believed that CliffyB gets more praise than he deserves in the game industry. All the games he is involved with play similar, look similar, and just feel similar. Gears, especially, was nothing extraordinary from a PC perspective. If he would rather cater to a less demanding crowd to sell more, then so be it and good riddance. It will just mean that we won't be getting anymore UT and UT-like games.

The shooter was born on the PC. Shame on him for forgetting that and abandoning his roots.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#127 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
no wonder they decided to release GoW on the X360 , it was a PC Title 1st you know .
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

Ya know imagine if Gears wasn't released when the 360 had only like, 3 games out for it. That's why it sold so well, because people were sick of playing Halo 2, they bought a 360 to play 360 games, not replay Halo 2 with that joke feature the 360 has called "backwards compatibility".

Now EPIC has a big stiffy for itself and think's they are so damn great, when the only reason they are still here is because Microsoft came and saved their sorry asses with GeOW's marketing and timing, if it was released later, then that game would have been considered "mediocre at best" - and c'mon, they totally got the Chainsaw bayonet thing from Dawn of War.

Now they release GeOW on PC a year later, and expect it to sell 4.5 million AGAIN, but sorry EPIC, it doesn't work that way, people don't buy the same game twice if they already have it on one problem, not every time that is. Then they repaint UT04 and call it UT3, where the only new mode is some Orb added into Onslaught, and then they expect that to sell too? Sorry EPIC, but, people want QUALITY games, and the GFW Live doesn't help with sales either. PC doesn't want Xbox live, you can't scam us like that (this is directed to microsoft.), there's only like, 3 games on GFW Live, why would we pay 60 bucks for achievments that don't matter?

-but no, just insult us and say "PC is only for sims and warcraft" as if you're a console tard yourself. I'm sorry you didn't expect your new daddy M$ to give you another 4.5 million by re-selling the same game a year later, Konami does the same with the Metal Gear games, every time they make one, they make another with extras, but it sure as hell doesn't sell as much as the original did.

I really shouldn't care so much about this guy's opinion, but, when people say stupid and ignorant things like that it just (as we say in the ghetto) puts my knickers in a twist.

ElArab

QFT to the MAX!
filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts

I know what you are probably going to say... "Who?" and I wouldn't blame you.smokeydabear076

yeah thats pretty much it, he's ignorant if he thinks piracy is the problem. Again crysis looked like it had poor NDP sales but in reality it actually sold 1 million copies. These guys need to abandon the NDP system because its not accurate of the number of sales games get.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]I know what you are probably going to say... "Who?" and I wouldn't blame you.filmography

yeah thats pretty much it, he's ignorant if he thinks piracy is the problem. Again crysis looked like it had poor NDP sales but in reality it actually sold 1 million copies. These guys need to abandon the NDP system because its not accurate of the number of sales games get.

If you read the interview he clearly says that instead of selling a millon copies on PC, they want to sell 4,5 mill copies on consoles. So I don't understand the logic behind your argument.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#131 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
Let's see... it was on a MTV website. I'm not convinced that his words actually dictate the direction his studio is actually headed. With that said, he just sounded like he was upset that GeoW had to compete with an amazing set of AAA games, were-as on the 360 realm, his game had NO competition when it was released. What a fool.
Lord_Regnier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Lord_Regnier
Member since 2006 • 1283 Posts
This guy has always seemed like he's full of himself so i would not listen to him.
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts

I've always believed that CliffyB gets more praise than he deserves in the game industry. All the games he is involved with play similar, look similar, and just feel similar. Gears, especially, was nothing extraordinary from a PC perspective. If he would rather cater to a less demanding crowd to sell more, then so be it and good riddance. It will just mean that we won't be getting anymore UT and UT-like games.

The shooter was born on the PC. Shame on him for forgetting that and abandoning his roots.

Qixote

Yup what a douche. Forgot what MADE Epic. Consolized UT3 good job cliff - PC gamers have higher standards.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#134 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Great little posting over at VE3D about CliffyB and why Gears PC just isn't that great to warrant a purchase one year later, all very good points:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36776/Weekend-Wranglings

"Rocket Science 101 or Why Gears of War on the PC didn't sell:

1. Games for Windows Live: Since the PC isn't a closed platform you can't get away with nerfing basic multiplayer support. Microsoft needs to remember that Windows is what pays the bills.

2. Bugs: If you spent X number of hours making sure the 360 version was ship-shape; why not do the same for the PC? Nothing is worse than releasing a poorly polished product.

3. Release Dates: PC/360 are both Microsoft products. Why not release them at the same time?

4. Basic UI changes: I don't want to see 360 controller icons in the PC version. Thanks!"