Bioshock Infinite Reviews are trickling in... Gamespot review is up!

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I'm not one to go by reviews and metacritic scores but for those that do..  

Bioshock Infinite IGN Review

I apologize if this is old.

Edit:  I can't say I'm surprised by the score.  :)

Gamespot review by Kevin VanOrd is in...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Maybe if I didn't find the first Bioshock so darn overrated, I could take positive reviews regarding this one more seriously :( Alas, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's $5 on Steam in the not-so-distant future.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

Bioshock series shows that FPS games are not always about meaningless shooting. 

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

CDudu

Bioshock is a frag fest, you are constaintly killing people with little to no strategy. People come to Bioshock for the story and presentation.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="CDudu"]

JangoWuzHere

Bioshock is a frag fest, you are constaintly killing people with little to no strategy. People come to Bioshock for the story and presentation.

I concur. Bioshock pretty much banks on the player falling in love with the story/atmosphere. If you find it uninspired like I do, then it gets old pretty damn fast. The gameplay was as thin as ever.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
And some people doubted the game in other threads. Can't wait for the release :D
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Maybe if I didn't find the first Bioshock wasn't so overrated, I could take positive reviews regarding this one more seriously :( Alas, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's $5 on Steam in the not-so-distant future.KHAndAnime

I feel the same way i thought the first was a good game was good but def highly overated people made it seem like the second coming. The sequel felt more like a bland expansion pack then a proper sequel. So it has me worried about Inifinte but man the deal the GMG has for it is so darn good its hard to resist.

You get Inifinte , bioshock 1, and xcom + another game of your choice and a $15 credit or $14 cash back like whoa. Its so good you might buy it even if you didnt want Infinite lol.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

Hopefully it has somewhat decent gameplay. The gameplay in the first Bioshock was terrible, the setting was kinda interesting though which saved parts of the game imo. The second one improved on that and hopefully this game will be better.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Maybe if I didn't find the first Bioshock wasn't so overrated, I could take positive reviews regarding this one more seriously :( Alas, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's $5 on Steam in the not-so-distant future.Gen007

I feel the same way i thought the first was a good game was good but def highly overated people made it seem like the second coming. The sequel felt more like a bland expansion pack then a proper sequel. So it has me worried about Inifinte

I also felt the second was lacking in a lot of ways (except for the ability to dual wield plasmids and guns. that was genius, and it how the first game should have been). But, in case you didn't know, the sequel felt like a bland expansion because it wasn't made by the same people. Ken Levine and Irrational Games made the first one, then 2K wanted a direct sequel, but they didn't want to do another game in Rapture, so 2K Marin and 2K Australia made Bioshock 2. Levine and Irrational have been working on Infinite since before Bioshock 2 launched.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Maybe if I didn't find the first Bioshock wasn't so overrated, I could take positive reviews regarding this one more seriously :( Alas, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's $5 on Steam in the not-so-distant future.the_bi99man

I feel the same way i thought the first was a good game was good but def highly overated people made it seem like the second coming. The sequel felt more like a bland expansion pack then a proper sequel. So it has me worried about Inifinte

I also felt the second was lacking in a lot of ways (except for the ability to dual wield plasmids and guns. that was genius, and it how the first game should have been). But, in case you didn't know, the sequel felt like a bland expansion because it wasn't made by the same people. Ken Levine and Irrational Games made the first one, then 2K wanted a direct sequel, but they didn't want to do another game in Rapture, so 2K Marin and 2K Australia made Bioshock 2. Levine and Irrational have been working on Infinite since before Bioshock 2 launched.

Well, The 2nd game got better as it went. After Andrew Ryan, I felt a dramatic drop in quality with the first. in the 2nd, the ending sequences were some of the most powerful I had experienced in a videogame.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#11 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
only one review, IGN have "exclusive" access for a few days.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

dracolich55

Well, The 2nd game got better as it went. After Andrew Ryan, I felt a dramatic drop in quality with the first. in the 2nd, the ending sequences were some of the most powerful I had experienced in a videogame.

that's true. I think the story in the first was better overall, but it definitely reached an apex with Ryan, and the rest after that dragged on too long. The sequel wasn't as good, but it stayed consistent, and had the build up in the end where it needed to be. Man, now I'm thinking about Bioshock 2. Just replayed the first a couple months ago... wonder if I can do a complete replay of 2 before Infinite comes out... :P

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

only one review, IGN have "exclusive" access for a few days. nutcrackr

Yep this exclusive "review" should be treated with extreme caution.  Infact you would do better to treat this "review" as a preview instead.  I am not saying Bioshock Infinite will be a bad game, I just do not think you will get an accurate picture of the pros and cons of a game from a exclusive "review".

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Maybe if I didn't find the first Bioshock so darn overrated, I could take positive reviews regarding this one more seriously :( Alas, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's $5 on Steam in the not-so-distant future.

KHAndAnime
I agree. Honestly, as much as I enjoy games, I think a story like this and the art would be better put to use in an animated movie. There's no denying it has an intriguing art style and the story will probably be fantastic, but the Bioshock series suffers from the "story/gameplay disconnect" badly imo.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
We're also discussing a ps3/360 review of the game....so.....
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

We're also discussing a ps3/360 review of the game....so.....JKnaperek

Its literally the same game pc review got 0.1 higher because of well better graphics of course on pc.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
Goddamnit I still have to play the first game, which I bought like 2 years ago.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"]We're also discussing a ps3/360 review of the game....so.....Gen007

Its literally the same game pc review got 0.1 higher because of well better graphics of course on pc.

And a better interface, which made the combat more fluid and enjoyable.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"]We're also discussing a ps3/360 review of the game....so.....Gen007

PC review where?..and better graphics are just one of many aspects to why it will be better, as a pc gamer, you should already know this.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Can't say I have any interest in last gen console ports.
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
I absolutely love the Bioshock series. The story, atmosphere, and concept of the gameplay I thourghly enjoy. By no means is the gameplay groundbreaking, but it's well done and offers the player different ways to go through the game. I don't know what alot of people are expecting from Infinite, but from what I've seen it has made me pre-purchase and I'm looking forward to playing it.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKaREO
I played Bioshock years ago on my PS3. It was thoroughly boring and felt very much like an Unreal Engine 3 mod.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"]We're also discussing a ps3/360 review of the game....so.....JKnaperek

PC review where?..and better graphics are just one of many aspects to why it will be better, as a pc gamer, you should already know this.

The IGN review is up on two separate pages, with one saying it's the PS3/360 version, and another saying its the PC version. The text of the reviews is identical, but there is a couple paragraphs in both that mention the PC versions better graphics, and the fact that the console versions have some minor framerate drops, and then the score is .1 higher on the PC page.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_bi99man

I played Bioshock years ago on my PS3. It was thoroughly boring and felt very much like an Unreal Engine 3 mod.SKaREO

Coming back half an hour later to try again since no one took your previous flamebait? 

Nice. :lol:

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts
Don't IGN exclsuive reviews always come with a guaranteed "9+" score as part of their business dealings? Not that this means the game will be bad, but an IGN review is mostly worthless.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SKaREO
A lot of praise for a sub par console port that runs on a 7 year old engine. I guess I'm a bit surprised that people's standards are so low.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
A lot of praise for a sub par console port that runs on a 7 year old engine. I guess I'm a bit surprised that people's standards are so low.SKaREO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5atPYaxX0lM Anyways didn't enjoy the first two Bioshock's that much either...but I can appreciate what they brought to the table. Still undecided about Infinite...I like some of the stuff I read but considering my past experience with the series and the fact it's $60 I gotta hold off for now.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_bi99man

I played Bioshock years ago on my PS3. It was thoroughly boring and felt very much like an Unreal Engine 3 mod.SKaREO

Coming back half an hour later to try again since no one took your previous flamebait? 

the_bi99man

A lot of praise for a sub par console port that runs on a 7 year old engine. I guess I'm a bit surprised that people's standards are so low.SKaREO

So that's a yes, then?

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

So that's a yes, then?

Hehe..must...have...attention!!! Someone didn't give that guy enough love. Sad story :(

Anyways, kinda reliefed to read good feedback, i mean i already paid for it.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

So that's a yes, then?

What? You're trolling. I don't normally respond to ad hominem.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

"Infinite last for between 10 and 15 hours" meh...

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
That's actually fairly decent for a FPS...at least IMO.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
I'm getting it for free with my 7950 so ill play it regardless lol.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#34 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

dracolich55

Thought I was going to hate Bioshock2 but ended up enjoying it more than the first one.

S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
I have been looking into Infinite quite a lot and just can't make up my mind. For some reason I can't get excited about it. Yes, the game looks good and yes, there is a story behind it all, but that being said, I just get this overwhelming feeling, from the footage I've seen, it being just shooting and shooting, sort of FPS with something (little) else. I for one, won't believe these reviews either. I can't justify pre-ordering something that I'm not even 90% happy with. I'll wait and see what real people, aka players who have bought the game, have to say about it first, before making any decisions.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Elann2008
Your topic title made it seem like there were multiple websites that reviewed the game. The ign review is day old.
IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

Have any of you preloaded this? Have you ever had a game preload really fast? My Infinite preload was completed in 10 seconds and I know there is no way in  hell it even downloaded anything. Anyone ever encounter this or know what could have happend?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

wizdom

Your topic title made it seem like there were multiple websites that reviewed the game. The ign review is day old.

No one posted this on PC games forum yet. The review just came up and the end of yesterday. That isn't old. And judging by responses, not many people knew of this review but would have eventually found it sooner or later. I thought I'd post it. My title may have been a little misleading, but I did say reviews are "trickling in."  

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Yes, I didn't even click the link as I'm trying to keep my hype in check, but I find an "exclusive" review from anyone hard to trust. I'm getting it regardless as a buddy of mine is getting it for me as a late birthday present, but I think people shouldn't necessarily jump to buy just off this one review (good or bad, didn't read it per explanation above :P)

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

I find an "exclusive" review from anyone hard to trust. 

Cwagmire21

One of the problems with the incredibly high cost of game development these days is the potential for payoffs and arm twisting when it comes to reviews. There are MASSIVE amounts of money involved with today's games, and it is very hard to believe that at least some of it is not going to the handful of people that can make or break a game with one simple review.

We all know that politicians are bought and paid for all of the time, so it is not that much of a stretch to assume that it is also taking place in the video game world, as well. 

There are also those rare times when a reviewer has gone public about a threat that was made from a publisher or developer concerning review scores (I believe that Ubisoft was the last one to be called out for that when they demanded a certain score or else the reviewer would not receive future copies of games to review).

Now, having said that, I'm not saying that a payoff/threat was made in this case, and Bioshock Infinite may indeed deserve a score of 9.4/"Amazing", but it certainly makes one wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes.

There is too much money at stake to assume otherwise.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

KHAndAnime
Bare in mind it has a rather unique combat system going on here! its not just another FPS so to say. I will be picking this up ASAP! Plus order it now on Steam and you get some crazy good gifts.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Bioshock infinite runs on a modified late generation Unreal 3, that at oldest is a UE3 build from late 2011, featuring DX11 support and many real time technologies that 7 years ago did not exist, or had not been implemented in a video game.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]A lot of praise for a sub par console port that runs on a 7 year old engine. I guess I'm a bit surprised that people's standards are so low.ferret-gamer
Bioshock infinite runs on a modified late generation Unreal 3, that at oldest is a UE3 build from late 2011, featuring DX11 support and many real time technologies that 7 years ago did not exist, or had not been implemented in a video game.

Don't bother. He's just trolling. Came into this thread 3 separate times, each half an hour apart, just to make another snide comment after nobody fell for his original flamebait.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

JohnFifteen12

One of the problems with the incredibly high cost of game development these days is the potential for payoffs and arm twisting when it comes to reviews. There are MASSIVE amounts of money involved with today's games, and it is very hard to believe that at least some of it is not going to the handful of people that can make or break a game with one simple review.

We all know that politicians are bought and paid for all of the time, so it is not that much of a stretch to assume that it is also taking place in the video game world, as well. 

There are also those rare times when a reviewer has gone public about a threat that was made from a publisher or developer concerning review scores (I believe that Ubisoft was the last one to be called out for that when they demanded a certain score or else the reviewer would not receive future copies of games to review).

Now, having said that, I'm not saying that a payoff/threat was made in this case, and Bioshock Infinite may indeed deserve a score of 9.4/"Amazing", but it certainly makes one wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes.

It doesn't even have to result to a payoff/threat situation. Even if we look at the situation in the most simple way - if IGN consistently gives exclusively reviewed games great scores (typically the case), then they're more likely to receive more exclusive reviews. IGN wins and the so does the game's marketing team. I'll start taking game reviews more seriously when they do away with the scoring systems. It's a contrived system set up for nothing other than to sell games. There's not a single good reason why a completely superficial number needs to be attached to any of these reviews. The scores aren't formulated from any system or rules, nor do all reviewers have the same standards. It's inconsistent, nonsensical, and doesn't actually serve a purpose for consumers.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

KHAndAnime

It doesn't even have to result to a payoff/threat situation. Even if we look at the situation in the most simple way - if IGN consistently gives exclusively reviewed games great scores (typically the case), then they're more likely to receive more exclusive reviews. IGN wins and the so does the game's marketing team. I'll start taking game reviews more seriously when they do away with the scoring systems. It's a contrived system set up for nothing other than to sell games. There's not a single good reason why a completely superficial number needs to be attached to any of these reviews. The scores aren't formulated from any system or rules, nor do all reviewers have the same standards. It's inconsistent, nonsensical, and doesn't actually serve a purpose for consumers.

I do see what you mean, but scores/stars/whatever rating system used, give at least some sort of indication what the game could be like. It all boils down to whether you can trust the person who reviewed the game or not. Professional reviewers, although needing to give somewhat accurate ratings, are like this topic shows, really unreliable source for proper, unbiased reviews. Yes, games that get 9.0, 9.5 and maybe even 10, might deserve those, but then again, all the factors behind high ratings can influence them a bit too much. Money, coverage etc.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Despite the change from underwater to sky city, it still looks too much more of the same. I'm sure the first few hours will be interesting. Once the new coat of paint wears off, it will reveal it's still overly familiar. Elizabeth is the new "little sister". Songbirds are just flying big daddies. Vigors are basically the same plasmids, except with different names. Your choices probably only lead to a different end cutscene again.

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

It doesn't even have to result to a payoff/threat situation. Even if we look at the situation in the most simple way - if IGN consistently gives exclusively reviewed games great scores (typically the case), then they're more likely to receive more exclusive reviews. IGN wins and the so does the game's marketing team. KHAndAnime

Yes, I believe that "one hand washes the other" has been taking place for quite some time now, but I still maintain that when this kind of money is involved there is always a high probability that something far more sinister than that is taking place. Money makes people do bad things, so we can only imagine what hundreds of millions of dollars makes people do...

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

KHAndAnime
you think every game is overrated.... do you even like gaming?
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

Despite the change from underwater to sky city, it still looks too much more of the same. I'm sure the first few hours will be interesting. Once the new coat of paint wears off, it will reveal it's still overly familiar. Elizabeth is the new "little sister". Songbirds are just flying big daddies. Vigors are basically the same plasmids, except with different names. Your choices probably only lead to a different end cutscene again.

Qixote
Lol. You say the game is the same and then you list how different it is. Outstanding ! And yep, Bioshock Infinite only has a single ending. Do your best to avoid spoiler alerts because this time theres no alternate escape.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"]

Lulekani

Lol. You say the game is the same and then you list how different it is. Outstanding ! And yep, Bioshock Infinite only has a single ending. Do your best to avoid spoiler alerts because this time theres no alternate escape.

Adding wings to big daddies.  Wow, real different.  How long did it take for their creative staff to think of that?