Best PC game of all time?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#51 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts

I have 3 and there all fps,

Half-life 1 and 2

Battlefield 2

Unreal 2004

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"]I disagree with everyone who says Half Life 2.

I don't think it's even better than the first Half Life. Half Life changed everything.
ncderek

i would agree with you if i played half life when half life came out, but i didnt play games back then. but im sure you are right, its just i didnt even play half life until after half life 2. but yes half life did introduce a whole new concept to gaming im sure

Graphically HL2 may be better than the original, but Half Life's game play was just more fun. you had more places to explore, more enemies to encounter and it just gave you that HL "feel". It seems HL2, although an ok game, failed to grasp that concept.
firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts
I actually don't believe in words like "best". Sorry, but I find things are way to relative to be defined like that. Anyhow, my favorite games, in no particular order, are:

Fallout 1&2
Planescape Torment
Wizardry 8
Arcanum
Grim Fandango
The Longest Journey

-wildflower-
When someone says best it doesn't mean it's fact :P Also, whether you choose to believe in it or not it still exists :D
endtype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 endtype
Member since 2006 • 297 Posts
WoW isn't that great in the long run...too much grinding...and it's a little repetetive
x3q7rr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 x3q7rr
Member since 2005 • 73 Posts
mmo=everquest 2
fps=bf2 or css
rpg=oblivion
xxLordDavidxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 xxLordDavidxx
Member since 2005 • 685 Posts

World of Warcraft isn't that great in my opinion... dispite the fact that I absolutely loved Warcraft III. I'd have to say 3 of my favorate PC games as I couldn't possibly list just one of them:

* Warcraft III - The best RTS game I've ever played, the custom maps, skins, mods and campaigns can keep you busy for hours. I could easily spend many years playing Warcraft III 24/7 against other people in the 'Custom Games' section of battle.net.

* Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 - The greatest star wars game ever, I loved the way that every action you chose had an impact on the storyline of the game, along with great graphics and leveling up scheme. I've played through this game 3 times already and had a different experiance every single time.

* Need for Speed: Most Wanted - I already liked the need for speed series, and when I picked up this game I was amazed. It had improved graphics, a good storyline and plenty of cars and customisation options that you could choose from. Making your gaming experiance pretty unique to which cars you chose and how you played out the game. It had a great soundtrack too.

x3q7rr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 x3q7rr
Member since 2005 • 73 Posts
i forgot
third person shooter=gears of war
666OrGaZmO666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 666OrGaZmO666
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

I can't belive nobody has said this yet. Star Craft wins as the best and longest lasting game ever made. There are still thousands of people playing online and it never gets old. So in the RTS catagory I vote Star Craft and it's expansion. And i agree with most of the others about Half Life. I still play that one as well. But I think the best game ever will go to Spore. I can't wait for that game.

Erik

Thestalker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Thestalker29
Member since 2006 • 33 Posts

We cant tell which game is the best cause everyone has different taste ; as exemple , I always hated WOW , but my brother played and played until he wasted about 400 $ playing !!!!!!!!!

This is completely ridiculus ! a game costing that much CANT be the best game anyway . but somehow players think it is a fair prize ....

As for me , my favorite games are ( in no particular order ) : FEAR , Doom 3 , Rainbow six vegas , Forza motorsport , Lotr : battle for middle earth and Command and conquer Generals .

evilbarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 evilbarbarian
Member since 2005 • 3883 Posts
Deus Ex.
noobgotpwned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 noobgotpwned
Member since 2006 • 76 Posts

I like rts games

My younger brother was playing empire earth a few years ago and I thought it looked stupid at first but I started playing it and it got very addictive,but over time I got burnt out on it  ...so I didn't play any pc games until just recently my brother had me check out  Company of Heroes.... This game is by far the best RTS I have ever played

Company of Heroes is the reason I am investing into a dell xps system

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
rpg=oblivionx3q7rr

Oblivion is the worst Elder Scrolls game ever made.

I would hardly call it the greatest rpg of all time.
KnuckleBoneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 KnuckleBoneX
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
half-life or half-life 2
mtbrdude87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 mtbrdude87
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts
The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango are my #1 and #2 :)
lawrencexx_873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 lawrencexx_873
Member since 2005 • 258 Posts
Unreal Tournament.. ..
laineter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 laineter
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts
for me the best are counter strike, half-life and wow. they are not so boring games and you will be addicted when once you played it. what do you think bout that guys? :p
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#67 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts

The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango are my #1 and #2 :)mtbrdude87

The longest journey was a way good game

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#68 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

What about this classic 1980's rpg. The first rpg I ever played I might add.

Newbies and kids, I present to you: The very first first person rpg ever made: Dungeon Master

You needed to eat and  drink in order to survive. And if you didn't have a torch, you where blind! Torches would go out gradually, eventually leaving you in the dark...

This is a game that won loads of GOTY awards back in the 1980's.
Lilac_Benjie

Today's games like Oblivion, FEAR, and GRAW have very realistic graphic and details.  Dungeon Master is one of those games help remind ourselves on how far video games have come to the games we have now.

MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 MronoC
Member since 2005 • 4113 Posts

Half Life series easily beats WOW .

IMO ... Half Life series one of the best P.C Games.

indzman

QFT

The original Half-Life was the closest thing to perfection ever achieved in any game ever, with a superb blend of puzzles, combat, exploration, art, and technology.  HL2, while not quite as ground-breaking as the original, was still an amazing accomplishment in terms of storytelling, graphics, physics, and integration of all those aspects with amazing gameplay.

Half-Life definitely has to be the single greatest PC game of all time, perhaps even the greatest game on any platform ever.

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
Unreal Tournament.. ..
lawrencexx_873
^^^
Spindry69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Spindry69
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts
Many years ago (i'm showing my age now) a game came out that made me put my Amiga aside and buy my first  PC. That game was Ultima Underworld. I think it was the first real 3D RPG and was simply awesome. If I tried to play it now I think I would throw up all over my monitor due to the graphics but it was amazing at the time.
abbismonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 abbismonster
Member since 2004 • 591 Posts
Is there no love for space sims here? Dam youngins! You killed space sims, with all your gosh darn FPS and RPG's and hootin and hollerin, listening to that dam rap music, and the sex pistols, trotting all over good texan values. Why I otta woop you upside the head, useless pothead kids.
Avatar image for Professor-Patty
Professor-Patty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Professor-Patty
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts

The game that I spend most of my time with is Impossible Creatures. There are just so many possibilities and it never gets old because every player on line has a different army! It's never the same two factions. Also you have 75 creatures to play around with!

Now I'm more into Garry's Mod and Half-Life 2 as side note...:)

Avatar image for hybridmoments12
hybridmoments12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 hybridmoments12
Member since 2004 • 68 Posts
Is there no love for space sims here? Dam youngins! You killed space sims, with all your gosh darn FPS and RPG's and hootin and hollerin, listening to that dam rap music, and the sex pistols, trotting all over good texan values. Why I otta woop you upside the head, useless pothead kids.abbismonster

Hahaha damn man you are one crazy funny dude.

Greatest Games Ever Made For the Pc:

Starcraft
Half Life 1 Saga
Rollercoaster/Railroad Tycoons
Battlefield 1942
Unreal Tournament
Doom
Warcraft III

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"]What about this classic 1980's rpg. The first rpg I ever played I might add.

Newbies and kids, I present to you: The very first first person rpg ever made: Dungeon Master

You needed to eat and drink in order to survive. And if you didn't have a torch, you where blind! Torches would go out gradually, eventually leaving you in the dark...

This is a game that won loads of GOTY awards back in the 1980's.
Jd1680a

Today's games like Oblivion, FEAR, and GRAW have very realistic graphic and details. Dungeon Master is one of those games help remind ourselves on how far video games have come to the games we have now.

Or does it?

So we have better graphics. That's a given, since the technology has changed. In fact from a pure design perspective Dungeon Master has more impressive graphics than Oblivion since it managed to hack a form of 3D before the technology actually supported it.

Does Oblivion actually have better quality rpg elements than Dungeon Master? Do the characters on Oblivion actually have more depth than those found in The Secret of Monkey Island?

No. Oblivion has scaled everything and bland characters. Oblivion is anything but testament to how far games have progressed.
GunslingerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#76 GunslingerMan
Member since 2005 • 5708 Posts
Best Half life, second best half life 2 :P
koray91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 koray91
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts

There are two..Half-Life and Shadows of Amn.
gegoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 gegoran
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I just love RPGs, so even though I don't play PC games so much anymore the winner would absolutely be Planescape: Torment, with its great story or maybe the Baldur's Gate series. Can we see this games continuing... please!!!
ax_prime_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#79 ax_prime_basic
Member since 2002 • 162 Posts
Oh man... too many great ones to narrow it down to just one... but I'll do a top 5 :D

1. Diablo and Diablo II. Diablo took the action rpg formula and polished it to a simple, yet staggeringly addictive shine while adding haunting music, a compelling storyline, and thick atmosphere. Then Diablo II one-upped it with it's epic scope and expanded character options.

2. Doom. What more do you need to say?

3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Never before had I felt like I was playing an actual role in a story... the dialogue sequences were fun, your decisions had real weight, and unlike most other games, being evil didn't only reward you with small chuckles and horrendous in-game consequences... the story just took a different turn. Add to that supremely memorable characters, and tasteful use of the Star Wars license, and you've got one hell of a classic.

4. Deus Ex. Also a game where you could affect the story in meaningful ways, Deus Ex was a complete head-trip. The twisting and incredibly deep story has very few equals in gaming.

5. Quake III. Fast, intense, gorgeous, and evil... Quake III had me over at my friends' house playing computer quite frequently. Deathmatch in its purest form.

There are honorable mentions everywhere... such as Warcraft II, Myst, Morrowind, Unreal 2004, Battlefield 2, World of Warcraft, System Shock 2, Medieval: Total War, Fallout, Descent, and more.

stavredzikov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 stavredzikov
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts
FPS: Unreal Tournament 2004
RPG: Sacred Underworld
RTS: Imperial Glory
nathrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 nathrules
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Personally I would go for the Total War series but I still think that a lot of the older games are the most fun to play
Fragmeter476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Fragmeter476
Member since 2003 • 638 Posts

as some already have stated, anyone older than 19 will agree: monkey island.

madazz82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 madazz82
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts
I am over 19 and I don't think Monkey Island is the best PC game of all time, it may be YOURS, but its certainly not the fav of everyone over 19. I am not sure what my best pc game of all time is. I probably put most of my hours into either Warcraft 2, Civ 2-4 and Team Fortress Classic.
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#84 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I still play monkey island every year, it's hilarious, and a really good adventure.
Scooter540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Scooter540
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

quake series,and unreal tournament series

Gothdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86 Gothdemon
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

When reading the reviews of WoW, I noticed that Wow ranked 9 of over 7000 pc games overall.

I began to scratch my head and began to wonder... hmmmm what could be the other eight that might have outdone WoW?

Just looking for some ideas as to what the games might be....

My vote is for WoW as the best PC game of all time.... I believe it should be number one.

phaedrus19

Ultima 7: The Black Gate is probably still the best PC game I've ever played.

zzz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 zzz20
Member since 2006 • 273 Posts

I'd say Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction just because it's the one I played the most.  Others would be Starcraft: Brood War, Nox, Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, Counter-Strike: Source, World of Warcraft and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

alexlmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 alexlmt
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
half-life or half-life2 or opposing force
skeeterbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 skeeterbutt
Member since 2004 • 190 Posts
I would have to say each of the three THIEF series games were great, unique.  Noone every mentions them.  It was a genre in games that was totally different and very fun to play.  Would like to see another make - but, Looking Glass Company is no longer.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#90 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
hl2, i gurantee you people wont be playing wow like they play cs or css or hl or hl2. i mean it all started 9 years ago, in 9 years no one will even know or want to know what wow is.

half life 2 is the best ever.
ncderek
Yes HL2!! Unfortunately their will probably still be people playing WOW 9 years from now, WOW2, just like EQ2.....
TH3_Nameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 TH3_Nameless
Member since 2006 • 79 Posts
Half life 2 and Css
austin1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 austin1992
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
I don't know how you can say oblivion is not a revolutionary game, it is the largest game i have ever played in terms of actual game area. It also has an interesting story line that lasts unlike most games now a day, not to mention that with the side quests and mods it has is seemingly un endless game. I also think that PSO was one of the best games of all time but i played it for the dreamcast.
2ksuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 2ksuperior
Member since 2006 • 84 Posts

The other games are older than 5-6 years so dont expect anything special.They are high rated in that year now they are ghosts

patacak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 patacak
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts
Mmm well if you check the reviews at Gamerankings.com the top 20 highest rated pc games are... 1. Half-Life 2 95.6% 2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 94.8% 3. Half-Life 94.6% 4. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 94.2% 5. Company of Heroes 94.1% 6. Grand Theft Auto III 93.6% 7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 93.4% 8. Civilization IV 93.3% 9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 93.2% 10. Unreal Tournament 93.2% 11. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos 93.0% 12. Unreal Tournament 2004 92.9% 13. Grim Fandango 92.9% 14. Baldur's Gate 92.5% 15. System Shock 2 92.0% 16. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 92.0% 17. World of Warcraft 91.8% 18. Call of Duty 91.7% 19. Rome: Total War 91.6% 20. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 91.5% The score of this games is based on all of the reviews on almost every gaming site or magazine so there you have it....
kooch664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 kooch664
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts
Two people mentioned The Longest Journey but I am going to say why...Best voice dialogue of any PC (or video) game ever.  If you haven't played it and hate point and click adventures then just go through it with a walkthrough because if you fancy yourself a gaming fan you need to experiance the voice work here.  I am pretty sure Gamespot has a demo...
brilhasti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 brilhasti
Member since 2003 • 400 Posts
lol @ ardylicious if you call someone an idiot you'd better use correct grammar when doing so otherwise YOU sound like the bonehead. "Your" is a possessive pronoun "You're" means "you are" Now who's the idiot? Yeah.
brilhasti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#97 brilhasti
Member since 2003 • 400 Posts
[QUOTE="patacak"]Mmm well if you check the reviews at Gamerankings.com the top 20 highest rated pc games are... 1. Half-Life 2 95.6% 2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 94.8% 3. Half-Life 94.6% 4. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 94.2% 5. Company of Heroes 94.1% 6. Grand Theft Auto III 93.6% 7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 93.4% 8. Civilization IV 93.3% 9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 93.2% 10. Unreal Tournament 93.2% 11. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos 93.0% 12. Unreal Tournament 2004 92.9% 13. Grim Fandango 92.9% 14. Baldur's Gate 92.5% 15. System Shock 2 92.0% 16. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 92.0% 17. World of Warcraft 91.8% 18. Call of Duty 91.7% 19. Rome: Total War 91.6% 20. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 91.5% The score of this games is based on all of the reviews on almost every gaming site or magazine so there you have it....

This list is complete BS because there is no entry for StarCraft. These titles all look like more recent games and this thread is "Best game ever" not "Best recent game"
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
None
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#99 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
Two people mentioned The Longest Journey but I am going to say why...Best voice dialogue of any PC (or video) game ever. If you haven't played it and hate point and click adventures then just go through it with a walkthrough because if you fancy yourself a gaming fan you need to experiance the voice work here. I am pretty sure Gamespot has a demo...kooch664
Fun game kinda like that old Indiana Jones game, but I wouldnt put it at the top of my list.
wallydog63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 wallydog63
Member since 2004 • 209 Posts
Hate to tell you brilhasti, but several of those games were out long before starcraft. So kinda shoots your gripe out the window. Besides I don't like Blizzard anymore. I HATE MMORPS. So therefore I hate Wow, and considering thats all that pathetic company cares about anymore, I won't bother to say what they can do with them selves. They have abandoned the people who made them big, and now only go for the money. They haven't made a game for the normal gamer who doesn't play online BS. In fact they abandoned the single player computer user long ago to try and make ghost for consoles only, not even for the computer. That being said, since I despise Wow, Teen age mutant ninja smurfs would be a better game, as would the all famous Fighting Bimbos. Great games