Anyone bored with modern fps?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

I don't know why but it seems like the FPS market is a bandwagon type thing and everyone just jumps on board with what everyone else is doing. I am pretty sure that if there weren't 5 coming out in a year I would not be tired of them, and I am worried that the same thing will happen to them that happened to WW2: there will be tons of modern games and everyone will be sick of them. Now I am not saying lets go back to Normandy for the millionth time, but I want something unique, like the eastern or african area of WW1 (west was just trench warfare), the finnish winter war, or even vietnam and korea. I think we just need some different ideas out there.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Actually its mostlty the fact that they are all about modern war rather being in modern era. i mean, i would take one with a bit sci fi element instead of another war based fps.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Shall we return to World War 2?? I wouldn't mind taking another break from "Modern" FPS.
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts

We just need more games that are not FPS's :P

djwood84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5 djwood84
Member since 2004 • 712 Posts
FPS games have become like Michael Bay action films. Lots of people love them, but they all kinda follow the same rules and appeal to the same audience (mostly!). I'm tired of them, but every once in awhile, there is still a great FPS to be played. Maybe Killzone 3 will breathe some much needed life into the genre.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I wish CoD and the like never came out. FPS used to be about demons and aliens and space and sci fi.

PRAISE THE LORD FOR DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#7 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Honestly, I avoid shooters I don't want to play, but I personally seem to always be playing games with at the very least a sci-fi tint. Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Vanquish, Gears of War, F.E.A.R. (that one might not be sci-fi but you get the idea), Half-Life 2, etc. A lot of my favorite shooters are set in some sci-fi setting. I'd be hard-pressed to mention any modern war shooter that is nearly as good as any of the games I mentioned. Granted, Crysis and F.E.A.R. feel modern but then Crysis has the whole alien thing and F.E.A.R. has the paranormal clones and T3H NEKKID DEAD GIRL!!! (Yes, I'm aware that not all of these are available on PC :P).

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#8 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

FPS games have become like Michael Bay action films. Lots of people love them, but they all kinda follow the same rules and appeal to the same audience (mostly!). I'm tired of them, but every once in awhile, there is still a great FPS to be played. Maybe Killzone 3 will breathe some much needed life into the genre. djwood84

Killzone 3 looks EXACTLY like the Michael Bay description you just made. :P

Honestly, I'm pulling for Rage to breath some new air into the genre.

Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
I am bored of enemies that take 3 bullets to die. I long for the old days of Quake 2, when enemies took a lot of punishment before they went down. And we had boss fights! OMG boss fights were sooooo cool!
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon

I am bored of enemies that take 3 bullets to die. I long for the old days of Quake 2, when enemies took a lot of punishment before they went down. And we had boss fights! OMG boss fights were sooooo cool!Jaguar_Shade

And rocket jumping.

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Pretty much, yeah. The last shooter I've found enjoyable was Shattered Horizon, just because it's so different from everything else.

However, I'm really looking forward to Brink when it comes out. Looks to be quite the refreshing take on the FPS genre that I may be looking for.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Seriously more creativity please. Modern "elite forces".. check. Middle east setting... check. Opposing force with AK's, from middle east type nationality.. check. Throw in a nuke or two and that sums up our modern fps. Only modern fps ive enjoyed truly so far is BC2
KleptoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KleptoZ
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts

I'm bored with stale gameplay. Call of Duty is to blame here, because they're hugely popular, and yet the game is absolutley identical from part 1 to Black Ops.

If you want a really imaginative FPS experience, check out the No One Lives Forever games. Those are examples of games that are FPS' and yet have all sorts of unique ideas to open up the gameplay (as compared to CoD's Walk into arena > Shoot a thousand bad guys > push forward to next arena).

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
In some ways it is a relief from the brown castles and demons from Id Software's games, but at some point the ideas will become old and will develop into something different. Trends occur in all forms of media and this 'modern warfare' one is no exception.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
we need more half-life.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon

In some ways it is a relief from the brown castles and demons from Id Software's games, but at some point the ideas will become old and will develop into something different. Trends occur in all forms of media and this 'modern warfare' one is no exception. kdawg88

haha id hasn't had a brown castle game in about 15 years.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dakan45
FPS games have become like Michael Bay action films. Lots of people love them, but they all kinda follow the same rules and appeal to the same audience (mostly!). I'm tired of them, but every once in awhile, there is still a great FPS to be played. Maybe Killzone 3 will breathe some much needed life into the genre. djwood84
meh, its dumbed won in comparion with kz2.

I wish CoD and the like never came out. FPS used to be about demons and aliens and space and sci fi.

PRAISE THE LORD FOR DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

GummiRaccoon
I want sci fi fps too, but i dont bash cod. I mean, if they suck at it, they suck at it and thats it. I mean the last AVP was terrible.
Skampp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skampp
Member since 2011 • 127 Posts

A medival game...similar to Lotr conquest but not Lotr and in first person with blood....and castle seiges....and grand historic battles....and glorious online play....and a good range of weapons from halbreds to warhammers and flails.....

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I liked modern based FPSs, I just don't like COD and stuff lol. CSS is gr8 :)
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
well, not really modern fps games are awesome, it would be cool to have some set in the future though, but i would hate it if they went back to ww2 n s*** that stuff was extremely boring to me i dont know why
AngelBeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AngelBeeps
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts
I will say I'm sick of Army FPS games, they just depress me. But a FPS with a science fiction, action/adventure or horror theme can still be highly entertaining for me. I think we just need less Medal of Honour and Call of Duty style games and more 007 style stealthy agent games in order to make the genre worthwhile again.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Pretty much any real-war-themed FPS doesn't excite me. Quite frankly, there is almost nowhere that story can go as to become even remotely compelling, unless they've injected a good bit of sci-fi into it.

On that note, I highly recommend that everyone play Singularity. :)

GojiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GojiMaster
Member since 2009 • 451 Posts

After buying and playing MW2, Bad Company 2, Halo Reach, and Black Ops over the last year I have found my interest in FPS games to be waning. I know your post was about modern FPS, but they are all kind of similar to me.

The 2011 FPS list is huge: Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Rage, Battlefield 3, CoD 8, Homefront, Brink, Killzone 3, Socom 4, etc. A lot of these games are becoming repetitive to me.

I kind of hope Nintendo can come in and shake up the genre 'Super Smash Bros.' style--make an easily accesible FPS-style game that is a blast to play.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

One of the biggest problems I see with first person shooters is the lack of growth. If you strip away all the bells and whistles there is not much difference between the titles. This really is a case of if you have played one you have played them all.

There are some exceptions. Not many, but they are there. Take Singularity for example. What they did with physics was fantastic.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

One of the biggest problems I see with first person shooters is the lack of growth. If you strip away all the bells and whistles there is not much difference between the titles. This really is a case of if you have played one you have played them all.

There are some exceptions. Not many, but they are there. Take Singularity for example. What they did with physics was fantastic.

Drosa
many devs these days are afraid to break into new ground, they rehash the old because, unfortunately, it sells. Look at CoD, you can polish a turd to shine, but it still smells and is still a turd.
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

you need to check out Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Its slated to be out in Q2 ...Its germans vs russians and there will be full fledged mods including the japanese and americans

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts
I'm sick of two things that seem to be in every modern shooter. Corridor campaigns that don't reward exploration, don't encourage thinking on your feet trying something new and at the end of the day don't convince you to replay it. Secondly, variety . We have all played Doom, doom had a fantastic range of weapons to obliterate enemies with, that was helped by the broad amount of demons you could kill. There were the zombie flack, the tougher demons and the massive 40 feet tall behemoths. It kept you on your toes and meant you had to use you imagination to get the job done. Modern shooters that retain some of this are Crysis, rewarding trying something new, Bioshock for making you have to survive on quick thinking, and, Borderlands for giving you bucket loads of varity. CoD is terrible in this repect, you use bullets to kill people through the ENTIRE game. There is the occasional vehicle section or set peice,but apart from that you machine gunning down soldiers, or terrorists, or separatists or.... Innocent holidaymakers. Either way it's bullets and people. It seems shooters are regressing in terms of vision not evolving.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm pretty close to being burned out from FPS games (not just modern day warfare). But, that didn't stop me from buying ARMA2:OA and replaying the FPS games I already have. I started replaying Crysis and yet again. I'll uninstall the game when Nomad can get through the whole game without dying even once*. I already got Psycho through Warhead earlier.

-----

*That also means leaving no enemy alive. If there's stragglers left behind, I have to find them and mop them up.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dakan45
[QUOTE="Drosa"]

wis3boi
many devs these days are afraid to break into new ground, they rehash the old because, unfortunately, it sells. Look at CoD, you can polish a turd to shine, but it still smells and is still a turd.

So cod is a turd? I fail to see the logic, pretty much everything is a polished turd with that logic.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

Singularity is a good FPS i played recently try it. Boss Fight etc and just plain fun to be fair.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I want a shooter that has a variety of enemies and guns, a new surreal setting with a strong story an lore behind it, lasts at least 15 hours and doesn't involve duck-and-cover-regenerate gameplay stooped with un-intelligent dialogue and neanderthal characters that doesn't appeal to Dave and his lads after a night out.

lambalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lambalot
Member since 2004 • 1798 Posts

I want WW2 FPS to come back, im not a fan of modern warfare shooters (was sad when the COD series moved to it, i did get MW1 but i hated it). I think though if a WW2 FPS were to be made it needs to be something different rather than the whole D-day thing.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#34 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Not really. I mean, I'm sick of the CoD-type games, but I just don't buy them and instead resort to more original shooters, because they're certainly there.

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

A medival game...similar to Lotr conquest but not Lotr and in first person with blood....and castle seiges....and grand historic battles....and glorious online play....and a good range of weapons from halbreds to warhammers and flails.....

Skampp

are you reading a description of Mount&Blade?

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#36 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

It'd be nice to see more Old Western FPS games. I fairly enjoyed Call of Juarez but felt like it lacked something in the gameplay.

eagle63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 eagle63
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts

i always thought it would be cool to have a survival type of setting in a game where you end up crashing on a mysterious island with basicly nothing but the clothes on your back and mabe a pocket knife to work with.

you would have to make your own weaponsfind shelter,find food and water,andbattle hostile native tribes,and learn from a few natives you manage tobefriend.a supernatual element could be added to.you could learn how to use magic from tribes you befriend,and they could also teach you what plants and animals you could use to your advantage,the lore of the island,ect

your ultimate goal being to find and salvageenough parts fromother wrecksto get off the island.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Maybe we should pick up something like Pro Bass Fishing type of games.... :)
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I've been bored of them since 2007. The genre needs a boot in the butt and Call of Duty sure isn't doing that.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#40 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Not me, if anything I'm less bored with the genre, Black Ops I enjoyed and looking forward to lots of FPS games this year. Crysis 2, BF3 etc. The genre still has lot of room to imrprove / expand. Most particularly bringing in more RPG elements.
vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

For me the first Modern Warfare was great, but then it also wasn't something I could beat in 6 hours either. A lot of these games spend so much time on the MP side of things they just throw in a 6 hour campaign and leave it at that. MW2 had more of that feeling. Homeland's story made it seem like it would be a good story driven FPS, unfortunately they are saying that it is also limited to 6 hours so they could concentrate on the MP (idiots!). Right now, the only FPS I play is Borderlands (180 hours and counting) primarily because of the SP and I sometime jump in for a good co-op game when my friends are on. Most of the newest FPS games coming out have me on a watch-and-wait policy until I see something with more then 10 hours story campaign (gooo Duke Nukem!!!).

Of course in the day and age of console gamers, 6 hours is probably all that they can hold onto their attention span before they go somewhere else. I still run a few 48 hour gaming sessions in AD&D and Total War every once in a while

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#42 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

For me the first Modern Warfare was great, but then it also wasn't something I could beat in 6 hours either. A lot of these games spend so much time on the MP side of things they just throw in a 6 hour campaign and leave it at that. MW2 had more of that feeling. Homeland's story made it seem like it would be a good story driven FPS, unfortunately they are saying that it is also limited to 6 hours so they could concentrate on the MP (idiots!). Right now, the only FPS I play is Borderlands (180 hours and counting) primarily because of the SP and I sometime jump in for a good co-op game when my friends are on. Most of the newest FPS games coming out have me on a watch-and-wait policy until I see something with more then 10 hours story campaign (gooo Duke Nukem!!!).vicsrealms

You sure? The game barely lasted 5 hours for me, and I didn't make any special effort to beat it quickly.

MaskJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 MaskJackal
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts
This thread reminds me a bit about the attitude towards FPS's when everyone was copying Doom and doing a bad job of it generally. Duke Nukem 3d helped to buck that trend with lots of humor. Now Duke Nukem Forever is coming into a similar climate. Here's for another refreshing take on the genre!
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

I want a shooter that has a variety of enemies and guns, a new surreal setting with a strong story an lore behind it, lasts at least 15 hours and doesn't involve duck-and-cover-regenerate gameplay stooped with un-intelligent dialogue and neanderthal characters that doesn't appeal to Dave and his lads after a night out.

cyborg100000
If you're looking for something really different, you might like Necrovision. Not the greatest FPS ever made, but probably one of the most epic. :D
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Its slated to be out in Q2 ...Its germans vs russians and there will be full fledged mods including the japanese and americans

schu

I am looking into this game myself. I just found out that Tripwire's offices are only about 15 miles from where I live. :o After reading the PC Gamer interview with Tripwire's John Gibson and Alan Wilson,I find that they are doing some of the very stuff gamers have been talking about at Blackfoot Studios for the last few years for a game that they are working on. If you don't know about BFS, it was formed by a former Red Storm Entertainment lead level designer, who decided that the direction games were going was wack. This is the guy who created the awesome levels for Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon and The Sum of All Fears (along with levels for GR2 as a contractor for Ubi).

While I have CoD, it was a play through only once type of game and I found it repetitive. That is the worst part of most FPS games out now. Once one game became a big hit, everyone copied it and now there is no innovation. Publishers do not want to take a chance and want to have a developer make a safe bet. When someone does try to develop a new game and approaches a publisher about backing and financing, they want to know if they intend to take on and beat or be as popular as a CoD game is. Publishers want a sure thing.

It really isn't about modern era or WWII based games, it is about the features and mechanics of games that everyone is bored with from where I sit. Reading the complaints of gamers makes it obvious. The sad part, the games that were innovative and brought something different to the plate are the very games that while not failures, weren't the big sellers and so, the publisher and developer decided to turn them into the clones of other games that are big sellers now.

Gamers have the ability to do something about it instead of just complaining. Vote with your wallet. If you are tired of CoD clones, stop buying them and buy games that offer something different instead. Once a publisher starts getting hit in the bottom line, they will listen to you and make changes and try something different once they see that their game is no longer selling.

I have said it before and I will say it again, gamers are their own worst enemy when it comes to games.

BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

I miss old school FPS

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Sometimes, but then i pull out my trusty shotguns on campaign mode, and proceed to melee n dismember at very close range

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rawtheory333
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

schu
You are right on sir! Red Orchestra 2 is the only FPS I'm looking forward to in 2011 because it actually is going to use the potential of the PC; something that almost all big name devs have given up on.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dakan45

I miss old school FPS

BLaZe462
Me too :cry:
monkey_muffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 monkey_muffin
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts
BFBC2 was the first FPS that I really enjoyed in a while. If more FPSs had gameplay elements added to it like destructable envirnments (something as profound as that) then they would be more fun. Seriously, we've been playing the same type of FPS for ever. It's time to upgrade.