2011 best year for games ever?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ggnoree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ggnoree
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

Who agress with me? This year seems to be awesome for gaming!

heroes 6, mw3, bf3, diablo 3, dungeon siege 3, skyrm, gw2, old republic, witcher 2, portal 2, and many more. Do you think 2011 is going to turn out as the best year of gaming yet?

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
I'm going to say no. The year Doom came out was the best year in gaming for me at least :lol: Though i will say this is a great year for Pc gaming in general. Some great games have already come out and no doubt more are on the way.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
1998 was the best year for the PC imo.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Best? no, great like any other year? yes Every years has bad, great and superb games, this one just had some of the best sequels.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Shogun 2? Check.

AC:Brotherhood? Check

Witcher 2? Check

Portal 2? Check

Duke Nukem Forever? Check!

Oh yea, definitely, for me.

coldione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coldione
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
2011 is the thing :)
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#7 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

No, I don't even really like it so far. Admittedly I haven't played The Witcher 2 yet, but with the exception of Men of War: Assault Squad, I don't think we've seen that many truly great games. Crysis 2 was rather good, but it was a step backwards from the first 2 games.

PeelMyBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PeelMyBanana
Member since 2011 • 255 Posts

Shogun 2? Check.

AC:Brotherhood? Check

Witcher 2? Check

Portal 2? Check

Duke Nukem Forever? Check!

Oh yea, definitely, for me.

mhofever
Ac Brotherhood came out in 2010
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

A good year. Certainly better than last year. But by no means the best ever.

1997 was the best in my opinion: Quake II, Fallout, Carmageddon, Grand Theft Auto, Total Annihilation, Dungeon Keeper, Hexen II, Tomb Raider II, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, Age of Empires, Monkey Island 3, Theme Hospital, X-COM: Apocalypse, Little Big Adventure 2, Blade Runner, Ultima Online.

1996 was also an incredible year.

And as if that wasn't enough, typing this post out has made me all nostalgic :(

Jerryismyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jerryismyname
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts
Man I have bought more games in 2011 than I have in like the last two years. And I'm going to buy more! Haha. Yes I agree, shaping up to be a suberb year.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

In terms of PC, ( not discussing sales here) based on the small samples of games I've played I'd say no.

No game has stood out to me in terms of pushing the boundries of what's capable in PC gaming given the strides made in PC hardware development, in fact what seems to have have happened is all publishers have gone full speed ahead with multiplatforming. Beloved PC titles such as DAO 2 and Crysis 2 are the most extreme examples of this, two great PC titles reduced to just good status.

The only new game that I've played in 2011 so far, which I would consider outstanding is TW2. CD Projekt showed how this multiplatform process ought to be done, the graphics are stunning given that its DX9, but they have employed tricks such as lots of bloom, shortening the draw distance and detailing the characters and immeadiate area so well that you easily forgive what's going on. A great graphics option screen makes you feel investing in a high end GPU was worth it as opposed to say the graphic options in Crysis 2. In addition to that they built on the mature content and the story.

So approximately 6 months in to 2011, I'd say its been an ok time for the quality of PC games, I understand why, I had fun playing, I still love my favorite titles, but I think the major titles so far have been 7 to 8 ish out of ten, I'd have preffered 9 to 10. The quantity however and sales seem to be way ahead.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Best? no, great like any other year? yes Every years has bad, great and superb games, this one just had some of the best sequels.

agreed 100%. A good year like all the other years.
acsif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 acsif
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

This is more like the "year they finally released Duke Nukem Forever".As for me , it deffinetely is/was the best: Shogun 2,Witcher 2,Portal 2,Guild Wars 2 ( 22228) )

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Not even close... It's been good though, and hopefully it will get even better with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

It just may be.

Witcher 2, Shogun 2, Portal 2, L.A. Noire, Dead Space 2 so far have been great though Dragon Age 2 was a huge let down.

Still have:

Duke Nukem, Deus Ex and Skyrim. There is also Gears of War 3 and Zelda but, I don't have the systems to play those.

There is also a small chance Max Payne 3 will be finish.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#16 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

X-Com: UFO Defense

heroes 6, mw3, bf3, diablo 3, dungeon siege 3, skyrm, gw2, old republic, witcher 2, portal 2, and many more. Do you think 2011 is going to turn out as the best year of gaming yet?

ggnoree

Every single title listed in the OP is a sequel. Not one original idea. In general, the 90's were the best for PC gamers:

• No DRM
  • Sierra, Westwood Studios, Apogee, Lucasarts, Polygram, Bullfrog, Lionhead, etc.
  • Shareware!
  • Lucas: X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle
  • Sierra: Police Quest, King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry
  • Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake
  • Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White
  • Lemmings, SimCity
  • Command and Conquer, C&C Red Alert
  • Alone in the Dark
  • X-Com: UFO Defense
  • Electronics Boutique and Software Etc.

Some of this is colored by nostalgia, but nothing this year has me all that excited, since it's either a sequel or tainted by DRM in one form or another, be it SecuROM or Steam. It's certainly a far cry from the 90's.

Boz

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

X-Com: UFO Defense

[QUOTE="ggnoree"]

Bozanimal

Every single title listed in the OP is a sequel. Not one original idea. In general, the 90's were the best for PC gamers:

• No DRM
  • Sierra, Westwood Studios, Apogee, Lucasarts, Polygram, Bullfrog, Lionhead, etc.
  • Shareware!
  • Lucas: X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle
  • Sierra: Police Quest, King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry
  • Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake
  • Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White
  • Lemmings, SimCity
  • Command and Conquer, C&C Red Alert
  • Alone in the Dark
  • X-Com: UFO Defense
  • Electronics Boutique and Software Etc.

Some of this is colored by nostalgia, but nothing this year has me all that excited, since it's either a sequel or tainted by DRM in one form or another, be it SecuROM or Steam. It's certainly a far cry from the 90's.

Boz

I love new IPs as much as the next person, but there is nothing wrong with sequels. It does become when you make the same game about 5 times (Looking at you Call of Duty). To be honest for me I would say either 2002, 03, or 04 were the best years to me (I just can't remember which year got a bunch of awesome games, but it was one of those years). Also a disc check is drm, so yes there was drm in the 90s. It just didn't suck a** like it does now. As for the OPs list. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Diablo 3 and Old Republic not make it this year.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#18 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

I love new IPs as much as the next person, but there is nothing wrong with sequels. It does become when you make the same game about 5 times (Looking at you Call of Duty). To be honest for me I would say either 2002, 03, or 04 were the best years to me (I just can't remember which year got a bunch of awesome games, but it was one of those years). Also a disc check is drm, so yes there was drm in the 90s. It just didn't suck a** like it does now. As for the OPs list. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Diablo 3 and Old Republic not make it this year. Agent_Kaliaver
Don't get me wrong, the two games I'm interested in this year are Duke Nukem Forever and Alice: Madness Returns, but it's the complete lack of notable original IPs in the PC Game space that is depressing. Original content seems to only original in Flash titles, nowadays. Where is the PC's LittleBigPlanet? Spore, which was supposed to be this great original concept, ended up instead as three minigames + awful DRM. And again, ALL the OP titles are sequels and - in most cases - the third in line.

Further, I never had disc check with Unreal Tournament, American McGee's Alice, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, and dozens more. That said, I admit many had those little booklets like the special codes for X-Wing, the beakers for Day of the Tentacle, and the picture book for Alone in the Dark. Still, those weren't hallmarked by invasive software, didn't require internet access, and didn't cap your number of installations; certainly nothing approaching SecuROM or the heavy-handedness of Bioshock's DRM.

Boz

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
If you're 12 maybe. The best year for gaming is when you're 12.
Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Only if Diablo 3 gets released

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

For me its alot of my types of games. Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, skyrim! Rage. Not sure if Grim dawn and Guild wars 2 is coming this year but would make it a super year for games for me if it did.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Since I've only bought two games this year (The Witcher 2 & Avadon) and there's nothing else out, or coming out, that even remotely interests me I'm going to have to say, no, it's not.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

ggnoree

Looking at your list, all I see are lame sequels. There is not one single, original game idea, an idea that we haven't seen a million times before, on that list.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

It's going to depend on the releases of Duke, Deus Ex, and maybe Skyrim if it's released this year. I will admitI have not been backed up on games like I am right now in a few years. That said it can only be a really good year for games because as has been said there have already been better throughout the last 3 decades.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#25 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
This year is definitely better then the last.
england2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 england2010
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

i haven't played a single good game yet this year , so no not even close

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#27 snared04
Member since 2009 • 455 Posts

Not sure you could conclusively prove it's the best year in general, no matter what happened, but it is a strong one for sure:

Deus Ex: Human Revoluation

TES V: Skyrim

Diablo III

That's a pretty strong lineup we got going, I'm excited as hell.

nesproc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nesproc
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

sorry but calling games that are expected to be released but haven't yet doesn't count! (seen too many last minute delays) 1/2 those games aren't released yet ;) so might have to re-adjust your list before i'd agree ..... i will say it's looking good for this year if all do get released on time ;) many games i've been waiting for coming out

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 snared04

sorry but calling games that are expected to be released but haven't yet doesn't count! (seen too many last minute delays) 1/2 those games aren't released yet ;) so might have to re-adjust your list before i'd agree ..... i will say it's looking good for this year if all do get released on time ;) many games i've been waiting for coming out

nesproc

Err... gonna call shennanigans on that. The only one on that list without either a firm 2011 release date or at least at TBA 2011 is Guildwars 2. I'd say ToR and Diablo III (the only others with a 2011 on them but no firm date yet) are strong possibilities for 2011 anyway, so your "1/2 the games" assertion is pretty moot. All the rest have either been released or have a firm date set.

nesproc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nesproc
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

[QUOTE="nesproc"]

snared04

Err... gonna call shennanigans on that. The only one on that list without either a firm 2011 release date or at least at TBA 2011 is Guildwars 2. I'd say ToR and Diablo III (the only others with a 2011 on them but no firm date yet) are strong possibilities for 2011 anyway, so your "1/2 the games" assertion is pretty moot. All the rest have either been released or have a firm date set.

please out of the games listed ... named the ones not released yet and name the ones already released... (i bet you the not released yet list is bigger) like i said seen too many last minute delays over the years for me to count them .. if you want to count them feel free that's your opinion... wasn't D3 and ToR both confirmed 2010 games too? now 1/2 way into 2011 ....for me untill they are released in 2011 i dont count em ;)

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 snared04

[QUOTE="snared04"]

[QUOTE="nesproc"]

nesproc

please out of the games listed ... named the ones not released yet and name the ones already released... (i bet you the not released yet list is bigger) like i said seen too many last minute delays over the years for me to count them .. if you want to count them feel free that's your opinion... wasn't D3 and ToR both confirmed 2010 games too? now 1/2 way into 2011 ....for me untill they are released in 2011 i dont count em ;)

I don't keep track of ToR because I don't care, but Diablo III NEVER had a confirmed release date for 2010, period. If anyone said that it was A. Not a Blizzard employee, AND B. Pure speculation. That one may still be on the fence for 2011, but DX3, Skyrim, and several others WILL be released this year, so discounting them just because they aren't released at this very moment is pretty pointless.

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 snared04

[QUOTE="ggnoree"]

Ricardo41

Looking at your list, all I see are lame sequels. There is not one single, original game idea, an idea that we haven't seen a million times before, on that list.

ToR is and will be lame, but it's by no means a sequel.

Diablo 3, Deus Ex 3, and Skyrim will all rock your face regardless of being sequels. Some of the best games ever made are sequels, or do you honestly believe Final Fantasy hit its peak on the NES? Don't hate sequels just because they're sequels...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Ricardo41"]

[QUOTE="ggnoree"]

snared04

ToR is and will be lame, but it's by no means a sequel.

Diablo 3, Deus Ex 3, and Skyrim will all rock your face regardless of being sequels. Some of the best games ever made are sequels, or do you honestly believe Final Fantasy hit its peak on the NES? Don't hate sequels just because they're sequels...

Don't feed the hate, he's obviously hating just because he wants to hate, he made it obvious with Diablo 3 and Portal 2, especially Portal 2.
Sta1k4r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Sta1k4r
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

I'd say good to great.

Better than 2009...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
For me yes, and it's only getting started..
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

This is the best year in recent memory by far. If Diablo 3 gets released this year it probably will be the best, for me at least. 2004-5ish was good, as was 98-2000ish (though I was only a teenager), and I think 2011-12 will be the next great era.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
No dissrespect but there is one thread like this every year. Suprisingly half the hyped games end up flopping and everyone moves on :(
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
No dissrespect but there is one thread like this every year. Suprisingly half the hyped games end up flopping and everyone moves on :(dakan45
which hyped games have flopped this year ?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"]No dissrespect but there is one thread like this every year. Suprisingly half the hyped games end up flopping and everyone moves on :(John_Read

ehh crysis 2 kinda, also while this forum dissagrees, brink has flopped universally in reviews and gamers alike. Also dragon age 2 flopped and another game that i dont remember now. Point is, its like back then when everyone said that it will be the best gaming year ever and jericho and timeshift flopped. The next year something similar happened and the next year.... you get the picture, the long list of amazing upcoming games ended up into a smaller list.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="John_Read"][QUOTE="dakan45"]No dissrespect but there is one thread like this every year. Suprisingly half the hyped games end up flopping and everyone moves on :(dakan45

ehh crysis 2 kinda, also while this forum dissagrees, brink has flopped universally in reviews and gamers alike. Also dragon age 2 flopped and another game that i dont remember now. Point is, its like back then when everyone said that it will be the best gaming year ever and jericho and timeshift flopped. The next year something similar happened and the next year.... you get the picture, the long list of amazing upcoming games ended up into a smaller list.

most of PC gamers knew Crysis 2 and dragon age 2 will be flop :P anyways crysis 2 is not bad game
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DanielDust

Neither is DA 2, it had some serious flaws but it was decent while it lasted, besides, for a game to flop it'd needs to have few sales, these games sold well. Brink is the only one that kinda flopped atm, but at least nothing on my list would be able to go wrong, except Deus Ex, I'm only interested in it but I see it easily failing if they don't work enough on it.

There's one game this year that people hype way too much and looks like a certain flop looking at the dev promises and the brief gameplay we saw so far, Skyrim.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dakan45

Neither is DA 2, it had some serious flaws but it was decent while it lasted, besides, for a game to flop it'd needs to have few sales, these games sold well. Brink is the only one that kinda flopped atm, but at least nothing on my list would be able to go wrong, except Deus Ex, I'm only interested in it but I see it easily failing if they don't work enough on it.

There's one game this year that people hype way too much and looks like a certain flop looking at the dev promises and the brief gameplay we saw so far, Skyrim.

DanielDust
Something tells me deus ex will be flop, god i hope not. Man they are REALLY working on it, they really taking their time with it ;) Anyway my point is that there been many times like this "best gaming year" but in the end half of the games end up unimpressive and everyone moves on.
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

dakan45

Something tells me deus ex will be flop, god i hope not. Man they are REALLY working on it, they really taking their time with it ;) Anyway my point is that there been many times like this "best gaming year" but in the end half of the games end up unimpressive and everyone moves on.

The only major flop this year is Brink. While I do find it fun, it is rather dissapointing.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

dakan45

Yes I have the same reservations about games yet to be released and that would color the year differently. It does seem to be the same every year in that I'm looking forward to a game and it turns into a turd. If the industry had any sense of what was going on (or cared) this would change into something positive. I won't hold my breath.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I think it is shaping up to be better than last year, but far from the best ever. The development trend of getting games to a "wider audience" is really holding back what could be great games.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
1998 was the best year for the PC imo.Crimsader
YES! this man has it correct.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

Rickylee

Yes I have the same reservations about games yet to be released and that would color the year differently. It does seem to be the same every year in that I'm looking forward to a game and it turns into a turd. If the industry had any sense of what was going on (or cared) this would change into something positive. I won't hold my breath.

I agree that the industry doesnt care and they dont put any talent into their games, they just copy each other and throw them out. However they are not turds, just unimpressive games becasue they dont try enough and for most of the time they hype he crap out of them making them to be something amazing and they turn into a "whatever...moving on"
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Rickylee"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"] Something tells me deus ex will be flop, god i hope not. Man they are REALLY working on it, they really taking their time with it ;) Anyway my point is that there been many times like this "best gaming year" but in the end half of the games end up unimpressive and everyone moves on.dakan45

I agree that the industry doesnt care and they dont put any talent into their games, they just copy each other and throw them out. However they are not turds, just unimpressive games becasue they dont try enough and for most of the time they hype he crap out of them making them to be something amazing and they turn into a "whatever...moving on"

I have this feeling they're rushing Deus Ex: HR. First they delayed it.. and now rumors are swarming it will come out this year. The original rumors said they're pushing it into 2012 to "make it the best game they could" without rushing it. Those weren't exactly their words but that pretty much sums it up. So now.. it is coming out this year and I hope it delivers. I really hope it does!
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dakan45
^ well one thing is for sure, we get pc HUD with numbers for guns and F1,F2, for augs.
hoanghoian1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hoanghoian1980
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

ggnoree
do you have a interesting game but request system too high ?