Would you vote for an atheist? (Now with POLL)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

[QUOTE="cukoo"]Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.Solid_Snake325
Very well said.

The crusades were a good decision? An atheist would not have gone to war.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#202 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

[QUOTE="cukoo"]Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.Solid_Snake325
Very well said.

indeed

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#203 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Very well said.

What crap. Someone who is part of only 7% in the US that doesn't believe in God is the one who's going to give into "public pressure"? And regardless, the public is supposed to have a say--that's the point. The answer to this question, regardless of belief or disbelief is that it shouldn't affect your vote because religion is not a part of politics. It's called the separation of church and state.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 battlefront23
[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

[QUOTE="EboyLOL"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]You're a Christian OR you're an atheist.EboyLOL

Is this a joke? There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of other deistic religions besides Christianity.

Look at the post in context... I was referring to the comparison between Atheists and Christianity...

Who were you responding to? You didn't quote anyone.

migkiller

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#205 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

Well the problem is, god dosnt answer back.

Yeah, he left that part out.

You guys don't know what you're talking about, God does answer back, just not in a manly voice spoken out loud.

Every person is different, so do you really wanna base important decisions on a belief where the outcome is different from person to person?

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#206 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

[QUOTE="cukoo"]Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.mimic-Denmark

You guys don't know what you're talking about, God does answer back, just not in a manly voice spoken out loud.

Every person is different, so do you really wanna base important decisions on a belief where the outcome is different from person to person?

Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.cukoo
Next thing you know, we'll be living in a democracy :roll:
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.Solid_Snake325

so God doesn't speak to you if you don't believe in him? what of the other religions, then?

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]

Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.

Not what i meant. Religion can make people look for signs in the most wierd places.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Solid_Snake325

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.Hewkii

so God doesn't speak to you if you don't believe in him? what of the other religions, then?

That's not what I meant at all. Since I thought he's an atheist, I assumed that he hadn't talked to God since he doesn't want to or believe in it.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 battlefront23

[QUOTE="cukoo"]Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.EboyLOL

'

man is wrong more often the he's right.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Hewkii

battlefront23

that refutes you more then he.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.Solid_Snake325

That's not what I meant at all. Since I thought he's an atheist, I assumed that he hadn't talked to God since he doesn't want to or believe in it.

No, i dont believe in god.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts

[QUOTE="EboyLOL"][QUOTE="cukoo"]Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.battlefront23

'

And somehow 'asking God' will making him a better leader? No. Leaders are not determined by their religious beliefs or lack thereof. Cukoo also has a delusion thatevery atheist elected to office will make a wholehearted effort to take religious freedoms away... with that logic, theist politicians would make a wholehearted effort to make everybody religious, and have atheists granted no rights! What we need is a competent person who is capable of making decisions (theist, athiest or otherwise!).
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 battlefront23
[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

Hewkii

that refutes you more then he.

how? It's true.

Roman 3:23

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 yodariquo
[QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.Solid_Snake325

Alright, so if your ask God about social security reform, what's going to happen? You "talk" yet He doesn't speak. Does He send a fax?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Hewkii

how? It's true.

battlefront23

because more has been done in the name of religion then against it (mythology is religion, just for reference).

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Solid_Snake325
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.yodariquo

Alright, so if your ask God about social security reform, what's going to happen? You "talk" yet He doesn't speak. Does He send a fax?

Complete ignorance, I don't even know what to say to that...
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.yodariquo

In these times i think god has a hotmail account. :D

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Hewkii

Complete ignorance, I don't even know what to say to that...Solid_Snake325

how about by stating how he talks to you.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 mig_killer2
Member since 2007 • 4906 Posts

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]You're a Christian OR you're an atheist.battlefront23

can someone believe in evolution and be a christian according to you?

NO

well if that's the case then tough **** for christianity
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 yodariquo
[QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

You're the one suggesting that without believing in God, you can't be as competent as a leader. Forgive my dispute on the ignorance. Perhaps you should clarify your justification on decision making, which was the point of my sarcastic question. If "talking" to God is supposed to be the best way to make a policy decision, I expect you explain exactly what is involved in this "talking".
Media_geek20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#223 Media_geek20
Member since 2006 • 6491 Posts
Sure. I could care less what the candidate's religious affiliation is, I'd vote for them as long as I believed they were the best choice.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
[QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.mimic-Denmark

Yeah. He is d4g0dlol@hotmail.com.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 battlefront23
[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]You're a Christian OR you're an atheist.mig_killer2

NO

Well then sorry for speaking the truth.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Hewkii

battlefront23

what sect of Christianity do you belong to, out of curiosity?

Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Atrus
Member since 2002 • 10422 Posts

Why would I want someone who doesn't believe in God leading this country? Someone that is letting God lead his or her life is going to make better decisions than someone that isn't letting God guide his or her life. All we need is a president that will take away religious freedoms and persecute those that believe in God. Is that what you all want? If you don't believe in God then that's your choice, but an athiest will certainly not make a good president due to the fact that this person will make decisions based on public pressures and feelings. They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision. That's the difference between an athiest and someone who believes and follows God.cukoo

The Enlightenment ideals for which the United States is based on were driven by many people who were deists, people who believe God played no part in this universe, and thereby set to introduce natural laws and self-determination into governance.

Thomas Jefferson was one such person and was the third president of the United States. Many secular and non-religious politicians in Europe also seem to have no problems governing.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 battlefront23
[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

Hewkii

what sect of Christianity do you belong to, out of curiosity?

non-denominational. I'm a reformed Christian.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 mimic-Denmark
[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.JML897

Just imagine his friends list :)

I really hope he has the sounds turned off when people want to talk to him. :o

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Solid_Snake325
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

You're the one suggesting that without believing in God, you can't be as competent as a leader. Forgive my dispute on the ignorance. Perhaps you should clarify your justification on decision making, which was the point of my sarcastic question. If "talking" to God is supposed to be the best way to make a policy decision, I expect you explain exactly what is involved in this "talking".

I meant having a firm belief in Christianity can be a major factor in good leadership, it's about how strongly you believe in Christianity, not how much God is talking to you or what He's saying. Leadership involves believing what's best for the followers or the country, so you would be concerned with guiding the country by its biblical roots as the founding fathers did. Protecting human rights, not tolerating communism or terrorism in other countries, upholding justice, etc.
ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#231 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts
Why the hell not? If I agree with his politics, I'll vote for him regardless of religion.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"][QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake325"]Oh God speaks to you? I'm sorry you just sounded like an atheist to me. Seems like you're just trying to find something to refute what I said.mimic-Denmark

Just imagine his friends list :)

I really hope he has the sounds turned off when people want to talk to him. :o

Reminds me of Bruce Almighty. :P

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]You're a Christian OR you're an atheist.battlefront23

NO

according to you, if evolution is true(which it absolutely is) then christianity collapses.

tough **** for your beliefs

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Solid_Snake325
[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]You're a Christian OR you're an atheist.mig_killer2

NO

according to you, if evolution is true(which it absolutely is) then christianity collapses.

Evolution is in no way proven true, don't start with that.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 battlefront23
[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]

NO

its challenging to me to believe that nothing created everything.

ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#236 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts

I meant having a firm belief in Christianity can be a major factor in good leadership, it's about how strongly you believe in Christianity, not how much God is talking to you or what He's saying. Leadership involves believing what's best for the followers or the country, so you would be concerned with guiding the country by its biblical roots as the founding fathers did. Protecting human rights, not tolerating communism or terrorism in other countries, upholding justice, etc.Solid_Snake325

America was not meant to be a biblically correct country. It's roots are in freedom of religion, speech, etc.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]You're a Christian OR you're an atheist.Solid_Snake325

NO

Evolution is in no way proven true, don't start with that.

how do you explain chromosome#2, or the numerous common endogenous retroviruses?
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 battlefront23
migkiller how can nothing create everything?
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 yodariquo
I meant having a firm belief in Christianity can be a major factor in good leadership, it's about how strongly you believe in Christianity, not how much God is talking to you or what He's saying. Leadership involves believing what's best for the followers or the country, so you would be concerned with guiding the country by its biblical roots as the founding fathers did. Protecting human rights, or terrorism in other countries, upholding justice, etc.Solid_Snake325
Your only prior line of justification was "They won't know how to discern a situation and ask God to help them make the best decision." so understand my complaint. As for the update, Christians have a monopoly on Human Rights? By my knowledge, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was written by the United Nations, which includes countries with national faiths other than Christianity. Additionally, I am quite sure you won't argue that despite every President falling under the category of Christian, Human Rights has not always been a priority (see: slavery). "not tolerating communism"? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'm unaware of the passage that condemns communism. I have heard of Christian Communism however. Lastly, from what are you basing these principles? Right now the United States has a constitution and Bill of Rights. That should be the basis of any President's upholding of rights. I know that there is a passage in the Bible in which the decision of what to do about a man who "gathered sticks upon the sabbath day" was to stone him to death. I understand that this is not something any Christian would agree with in modern day, so what is the decision process is filtering what is Christianly moral, and what is not?
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#240 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

I never really look atthe candidates as Christian or not anyways, so yes I would.

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 mig_killer2
migkiller how can nothing create everything?battlefront23
evolution is biology. it does not deal with the origin of our universe
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 yodariquo
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]

NO

its challenging to me to believe that nothing created everything.

And I find it hard to believe that God has existed for an infinite amount of time, for if that were true, then the amount of time between He existing and He creating the Earth would thereby be infinite also, which would mean it would never come to pass. Oh, and evolution in general is a proven fact. Evolution of Humans from a lesser species is theoretical.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 battlefront23

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]migkiller how can nothing create everything?mig_killer2

that doesnt make any sense and snake can back me up on that. Then you think God created the world by evolution.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]migkiller how can nothing create everything?battlefront23

that doesnt make any sense and snake can back me up on that. Then you think God created the world by evolution.

You cannot explain what created the universe so you make up something above that that you also cannot explain. What is the difference?

mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 mig_killer2

[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]migkiller how can nothing create everything?battlefront23

maybe the singularity that created the universe always existed?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Engrish_Major
Anyway, tell me why I should believe anything in a book that was written before any modern science that attempts to explain how the world works.
Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Solid_Snake325
[QUOTE="battlefront23"]migkiller how can nothing create everything?mig_killer2

How does it not deal with the origin of the universe...
mig_killer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 mig_killer2
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]migkiller how can nothing create everything?Solid_Snake325

the theory of evolution is the change in alleele frequency in a population over time. the field you're looking for is cosmology
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#249 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
I would.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 yodariquo
[QUOTE="mig_killer2"][QUOTE="battlefront23"]migkiller how can nothing create everything?Solid_Snake325

Evolution is the increase in the commonality of a characteristic. It is not a theory on the origin of the universe. It's really simple: If something is more likely to die if it has a characteristic, then fewer of those with that characteristic will reproduce and pass it on. Similarly if something is more likely to survive or prosper with a certain characteristic, then there will be more of them to reproduce and pass it on.