Why popular Atheist arguments don't work.

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Why do wis3boi and shadow hate each other?ShadowsDemon
I don't hate anyone, least of all someone I never met.

Then strongly dislike
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

All atheist arguments are based on one argument: the assumption of what is true and what is not true, such as morality and the quantity of true religions.

These arguments have no basis and therefore should be dismissed.

First argument:

1. How do you know if your religion is true? Out of the many religions out there

First off, the atheist assumes that there can only be one true religion. Hinduism believes in many religions. Therefore it is fallacious of one to assume such a point

2. The God of Christianity is evil -

First, define what is evil. Atheists have no basis for morality. What is considered cruel is considered necessary in nature. And so if an Atheist were to say that God is evil, he or she would have to have a basis for why he is evil, besides his or her own opinion. 

MetalDogGear

When you use the word all like that you're probably wrong, like in this case.  Many atheist make no claim to positive knowledge, but rather question the rationality of ascribing to beliefs of deities as revealed to us by centuries-old books and the necessity of refuting those claims given that there has never been any positive proof for them in the first place.

Atheists do not assume there can be only one true religion, that's a religious claim.  And yes, it is not universal, but most religions that accept various beliefs as true held the view that there was only one true religion at one point and adapted in the face of the obvious fact of the proliferation of several different religions.

It's not that we think the god of Christianity is evil, we don't think he exists in fact, but rather that many of his actions don't conform to the values laid out by the Bible.  It's not really so surprising when you consider that the actual authorship of the Bible spans milennia and that various sections represent temporal values that inevitably come into conflict with the temporal values of later sections and modern Christians.

Atheists have a basis for morality, it's just not universal among us.  I consider myself a utilitarian, the proliferation of pleasure and the reduction of pain is my basis for morality.

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

shut up

Aljosa23
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="CongressManStan"][QUOTE="Rich3232"]kneeha
This^ Also, the idea that atheist don't have morals is ridiculous. Morals aren't exclusive to one religion. Look at the different religions of the world, they share many of the same morals. Morality is bigger than religion. It's a human thing.

He's not saying athiest don't have morals, that's ridiculous everyone has morals. He's saying that there is no foundation for those morals. Your making the argument into something it's not.

How does one have morals without having a foundation for them?  Aren't they by definition rules that guide conduct, and don't they therefore out of necessity need some reason for existing?  Even if you're going to make the argument that social norms guide the morality of the irreligious, then those are still the foundation for their morals.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

And theist arguments are entirely based on faith alone. Granted I'm a theist, but even I realize the futility in fighting for the existence of an omnipotent creator of the universe without a single shred of evidence to non-believers. Best I can do is believe in my faith.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

shut up

Aljosa23
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Not sure if stupid Christian or parody of stupid christian.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Why do wis3boi and shadow hate each other?dave123321

I don't hate anyone unless they give me a strong reason to.  If someone finds criticism upsetting and considers it an attack, then that's their poor problem

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

All atheist arguments are based on one argument: the assumption of what is true and what is not true, such as morality and the quantity of true religions.

These arguments have no basis and therefore should be dismissed.

First argument:

1. How do you know if your religion is true? Out of the many religions out there

First off, the atheist assumes that there can only be one true religion. Hinduism believes in many religions. Therefore it is fallacious of one to assume such a point

2. The God of Christianity is evil -

First, define what is evil. Atheists have no basis for morality. What is considered cruel is considered necessary in nature. And so if an Atheist were to say that God is evil, he or she would have to have a basis for why he is evil, besides his or her own opinion. 

theone86

When you use the word all like that you're probably wrong, like in this case.  Many atheist make no claim to positive knowledge, but rather question the rationality of ascribing to beliefs of deities as revealed to us by centuries-old books and the necessity of refuting those claims given that there has never been any positive proof for them in the first place.

Atheists do not assume there can be only one true religion, that's a religious claim.  And yes, it is not universal, but most religions that accept various beliefs as true held the view that there was only one true religion at one point and adapted in the face of the obvious fact of the proliferation of several different religions.

It's not that we think the god of Christianity is evil, we don't think he exists in fact, but rather that many of his actions don't conform to the values laid out by the Bible.  It's not really so surprising when you consider that the actual authorship of the Bible spans milennia and that various sections represent temporal values that inevitably come into conflict with the temporal values of later sections and modern Christians.

Atheists have a basis for morality, it's just not universal among us.  I consider myself a utilitarian, the proliferation of pleasure and the reduction of pain is my basis for morality.

Excellent response
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#60 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="kneeha"]He's not saying athiest don't have morals, that's ridiculous everyone has morals. He's saying that there is no foundation for those morals. Your making the argument into something it's not.Zeviander
Either way he should shut up. Morals aren't founded on anything beyond our individual experiences and reasoning. Unless we are so weak minded that we need other people to tell us how to behave.

Under your logic, if I grew up where killing is a necessity, and my morals are built around the foundation that every wrong results in death. Is that the kind of logical conclusion you would want in a society?
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

shut up

Aljosa23
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

shut up

MgamerBD

Hakumen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Hakumen21
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

I don't need Jesus to tell me it's wrong to stab a guy 100 times in the face.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#64 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Why do wis3boi and shadow hate each other?dave123321
I don't hate anyone, least of all someone I never met.

Then strongly dislike

I change that actually: I might start to hate people who tell me that I hate/dislike people. :P Honestly though I don't hate anyone. And I might not like people, but I don't dislike them either.
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Contrary to what you may believe, Atheist arguments work pretty well and are also backed up with plenty of evidence. Theists, on the other hand, have absolutely 0 evidence at their disposal to support their asinine claims that God (or Gods) exist.

There is no shred of proof that any God/s exists except in the imagination of those who have some kind of psychotic disorder.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

RELIGION, GOD, etc etc

MetalDogGear

Please stop shoving your religious beliefs on people.

You are free to believe in magic just don't force it on others.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#68 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Contrary to what you may believe, Atheist arguments work pretty well and are also backed up with plenty of evidence. Theists, on the other hand, have absolutely 0 evidence at their disposal to support their asinine claims that God (or Gods) exist.

There is no shred of proof that any God/s exists except in the imagination of those who have some kind of psychotic disorder.

pariah3
One could say there is no evidence for the contrary either. Atheism is not an absence of belief, but a belief of absence. There's not scientific evidence for either side. There's only opinion and beliefs.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 tenaka2

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

ShadowsDemon

One could say there is no evidence for the contrary either. Atheism is not an absence of belief, but a belief of absence. There's not scientific evidence for either side. There's only opinion and beliefs.

One side doen't need evidence.

No one can say there is or isn't a god to a certainty of 100%, however as there is zero evidence in support of the existance of gods I chose to think that there probably isnt a god.

WHich makes you wonder, given all the god worshipped in the world you would think that just one of them would make an appearence, going by the bible god appeared all the time, miracles were common place.

I wonder why god stopped?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Did I walk into school recess?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 tenaka2

Did I walk into school recess? LJS9502_basic

Lets hope not, we wouldn't want you to breach your barring order :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Did I walk into school recess? tenaka2

Lets hope not, we wouldn't want you to breach your barring order :P

Ass
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
What does this have to do with Atheism? You don't have to be an atheist to think religion is stupid.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
if you're going to try to pick apart arguments, at least pick good ones...
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

ShadowsDemon

Do you pride yourself in showing off how mind-numbingly stupid you are?

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

One could say there is no evidence for the contrary either. Atheism is not an absence of belief, but a belief of absence. There's not scientific evidence for either side. There's only opinion and beliefs.ShadowsDemon

So you now you just turned it into a semantics argument. Absence of belief in God/s and a belief in the absence of God/s is exactly the same thing semantically so what's your point?

signzoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 signzoe
Member since 2012 • 55 Posts

God is Evil? i never heard that one before

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

signzoe
not evil... but definitely a dick sometimes...
Avatar image for Azorius_Scholar
Azorius_Scholar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Azorius_Scholar
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Not going to even try to respond to that, just try to stay away from educated people.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 wis3boi

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="pariah3"]

worlock77

Do you pride yourself in showing off how mind-numbingly stupid you are?

maybe the two shadows are related :o

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
maybe the two shadows are related :owis3boi
Shadows Demon and Shadow Moses? :P
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="The__Kraken"]JML897

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MrPraline

signzoe
He is. "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Dawkins
MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
Those atheists, always saying 'God is evil' as an argument for God not existing.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

Those atheists, always saying 'God is evil' as an argument for God not existing.MudoSkills

its to make them feel better incase they go to hell

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 wis3boi

Those atheists, always saying 'God is evil' as an argument for God not existing.MudoSkills

Killing 25 million people is quite evil in my eyes

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MudoSkills"]Those atheists, always saying 'God is evil' as an argument for God not existing.osirisx3

The existience of hell would be the worst thing possible. No contest. Any god that would allow something like that to exist is evil. Immoral. Wrong. Whichever adjective is needed to convey that whatever Detiy is okay with an eternal hell no matter the person is a c*nt of the highest order. Save me a seat if needed.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="MudoSkills"]Those atheists, always saying 'God is evil' as an argument for God not existing.MrPraline

The existience of hell would be the worst thing possible. No contest. Any god that would allow something like that to exist is evil. Immoral. Wrong. Whichever adjective is needed to convey that whatever Detiy is okay with an eternal hell no matter the person is a c*nt of the highest order. Save me a seat if needed.

my problem with hell is there is no set idea on what it is. I have heard some say its a place that's just discounted to god and i have heard many say its a place of pain and suffering.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.. The hell? Hinduism believes in multiple GODS..
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Did I walk into school recess? LJS9502_basic
At least most didn't fall for the TC's troll bait.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Loved how they all said 'Shut up' for like 6-8 posts. 

Soooooo, shut up.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
[QUOTE="pariah3"]

ShadowsDemon

So your belief in god has as much evidence as Goblins. Good to know.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

shut up

chaoscougar1

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Why do religious people care so much what atheists think/believe? and vice versa

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

The people who just type "shut up" as a response, should stfu!  If you have nothing to really contribute that would answer the TCs question, like your opinion why he is wrong...  The nerve of irrational people...  To answer number one, that probably would be a fallacy, cant think of which one.  I see what they are trying to say, that maybe religious beliefs are made up by men (which is mostly true).  I would say the christian "religion" is not that simple at all, it at least has a historical basis..  Not just "hey lets believe in some random deity that no one has ever seen!"  The second one is also a fallacy, even the bible said people will say something that is good, is bad.  Overall simplified statements dont really answer a complex issuee, that is why those arguements do not work.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Religious arguments are quite honestly among the dumbest and pointless arguments there is. Neither has proof the other is wrong so it's just a endless debate based on personal belief and/or opinions.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Under your logic, if I grew up where killing is a necessity, and my morals are built around the foundation that every wrong results in death. Is that the kind of logical conclusion you would want in a society?hiphops_savior
I don't think you understand my point at all. Killing is never a "necessity" unless defending oneself from lethal force... which in itself is not a necessity where there are other alternatives to violence. Nice strawman though.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
.. The hell? Hinduism believes in multiple GODS.. sSubZerOo
Multiple forms of the same Godhead, actually.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The people who just type "shut up" as a response, should stfu!  If you have nothing to really contribute that would answer the TCs question, like your opinion why he is wrong...  The nerve of irrational people...  To answer number one, that probably would be a fallacy, cant think of which one.  I see what they are trying to say, that maybe religious beliefs are made up by men (which is mostly true).  I would say the christian "religion" is not that simple at all, it at least has a historical basis..  Not just "hey lets believe in some random deity that no one has ever seen!"  The second one is also a fallacy, even the bible said people will say something that is good, is bad.  Overall simplified statements dont really answer a complex issuee, that is why those arguements do not work.

mahlasor

... The majority of religions out there have historical basis..