Why is everyone constantly on about Donald Trump on Gamespot?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 strongparkour
Member since 2016 • 192 Posts

Just a question out of random, why is everyone on Gamespot constantly going on about Donald Trump?

I don't really have an issue with him but I think what could possibly happen in future is: News reports that Trump will do this, Trump will do that, I think that none of Trumps "Nucular weapon war" crap will ever happen, eventually things will calm down, I mean, not in a bad way but America get quite protective of themselves because it's such a big country so basically what I'm trying to say is that because America is quite a large country, then they think they are in control of everything, so maybe that's why Trump wants a reaction from the public because he thinks he's the boss.

Do you think I made myself clear?

Thanks to everyone that read this.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@madrocketeer: Ah, non-American. Sorry for the assumption.

Regardless, people will talk about what they want to talk about. The most popular topics rise to the top of the board. That's just the way it is.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Gaming (creators and consumers) has a good chunk of liberals in there.

Liberals as you know have sent America down some poor paths and they have a lot of policies that really aren't that American.

So when someone like Trump comes in and says "I will work for America and real Americans and make them all stronger" it upsets quite a few.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

This has become the Trump Board.

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 strongparkour

@Master_Live: What does that mean?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts
  • The election got really ugly. Unusually so. People are still angry and this is just one more place where we can vent.
  • There is still quite a bit of uncertainty as to what Trump's presidency will be like. He made a lot of ridiculous promises, and we still don't know which were real and which were just pandering to the crowd.
  • ACA repeal has already begun and the replacement plan is still a secret (or just non-existent yet).
  • Cabinet picks showed surprising lack of knowledge about the departments they are going to run.

That's a few. There are many more.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl

This happened in 2008 and 2012 as well. It's just part of the presidential elections.

It's fine. It shows that some people care and are informing themselves of major events.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@strongparkour said:

@Master_Live: What does that mean?

That Donald Trump has become a big focus of this board.

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 strongparkour

@Master_Live: Oh right, thanks

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strongparkour

@eliminatorpaige: Is that what you're telling me, but instead of commenting it you put a pic instead, if that's true then that's genius.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

1. Election cycle is like two years long. Which is 18 months too long. Shit is said that cannot be forgotten or forgiven, so there's a lot of petty rivalries on here and nerves people know to touch.

2. Trump is just the worst. So is Clinton, but more from a likable standpoint; but Trump is like the technical worst. So of course we talk about how screwed we are.

3. Not just Gamespot, but everywhere, he is the headlines. Every time I go on to Google News, he has been on the "Top News" for the entirety of the election cycle and, after he won, he is up there about 4/7 days.

4. Trump keeps doing terrible, awful, mean things every single week, so it's fresh material to talk about.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Well OT just has become largely dominated on politics. As there's no seperate specific poltics section. And Gamespot being a largely American based site. Its natural to discuss the American political climate. In particular, the office of the Presidency is the most recognizable of all American political positions.

I will agree the amount of threads on this topic have gotten a bit out of hand. But I suppose over time, the amount of Trump topics will die down. As there will be less to discuss, once every position in his administration is set in stone.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

people run out of civil stuff to talk about online pretty fast so things devolve into arguments.

one of the biggest topics to spawn differing opinions and arguments is politics.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Their version of Alcoholics Anonymous.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Well the whole world do want to voice their 2 cents about him.

ColdCaseLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ColdCaseLuke
Member since 2015 • 94 Posts

@eliminatorpaige: Loss, fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

You should see NeoGaf. It's like every hardcore liberal also has a NeoGaf account and a ton of free time. Most message board communities end up being echo-chambers, but Neo Gaf is quite excessive.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

People will go back to their boring lives in a few months.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

no we won't. We will be complaining about President Pence.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@strongparkour:

I hope people do eventually shut the **** up about Trump. Whether it's to insult, inspire or boast, it's always something to rant about. However long Donald lasts on the presidential mantel, it's gonna feel like forever!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

no we won't. We will be complaining about President Pence.

Better not have his insurance plan go to use, then.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#26 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

It's January, people are bored, and American politics has been a train wreck as far back as at least 12 years ago. I took one peek of the 2004 election, and immediately felt like throwing up. It's been pretty much downhill from there.

Just ignore or talk about something else.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Something extraordinary has happened. A complete certifiable lunatic, narcissist, egomaniac billionaire has been elected president. Enough people in America have become stupid and gullible enough for this to take place. How do you not talk about that!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#28 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

The 1st amendment, well at least for now! lol...I kid, seriously though, he's a public figure and servant, we have every right to have an open and respectful conversation about him. The thing that kinda scares me with him is how he becomes very belligerent when criticized and that seems to be the characteristics of SOME of his supporters.

I'm no fan of Obama, but I give him credit when it comes to how he handled the media and scrutiny in general. I mean, the things that was said about him, he's wife and children where truly unprecedented. I just knew the guy was gonna crack, but he usually took the highroad, it's going to be interesting to see how Trump and his supporters get through his term, the real critics and discussion haven't even started.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

You should see NeoGaf. It's like every hardcore liberal also has a NeoGaf account and a ton of free time. Most message board communities end up being echo-chambers, but Neo Gaf is quite excessive.

OT section of that cesspool needs be razed to the ground.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Oompa loompas need love too..........

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's not just GS, check out any news website. Love em or hate em, he generates ratings.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

@sonicare said:

It's not just GS, check out any news website. Love em or hate em, he generates ratings.

During election years there does tend to be some chatter about it.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:

During election years there does tend to be some chatter about it.....

Especially this dude as he is so inflammatory.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl

To be fair, everyone who doesn't want to talk about impactful events is free to make topics about Kim Kardashian, the odds of the Packers winning the Super Bowl, or what they had for breakfast to their heart's content.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:

To be fair, everyone who doesn't want to talk about impactful events is free to make topics about Kim Kardashian, the odds of the Packers winning the Super Bowl, or what they had for breakfast to their heart's content.

Yes. I don't understand why they complain on topics but never create one.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By madrocketeer

@mattbbpl:

I've been trying to think of a single moment in my life when Americans' choice of President has ever impacted me personally...

Nope. Can't think of one.

And I haven't even been trying to make it that way - that's what my "backup plan" (ie, move back to New Zealand or another tucked away place nobody gives a shit about) is for.

I don't give a shit about Kim Kardashian or American football, and you demeaning the annoyed, the apathetic or the ambivalent does you no favours.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

@madrocketeer said:

@mattbbpl:

A) I've been trying to think of a single moment in my life when Americans' choice of President has ever impacted me personally...

Nope. Can't think of one.

B) I don't give a shit about Kim Kardashian or American football, and you demeaning the annoyed, the apathetic or the ambivalent does you no favours.

A) Then you have just been oblivious to the effects. Even things such as tax rates and the national debt effect you (or your parents, which in turn effect you)

B) I'm not demeaning the apathetic or ambivalent. I'm demeaning the apathetic or ambivalent who complain about the inconvenience of seeing/hearing the statements of those who are not

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@madrocketeer: And yet you can make a topic about what interests you instead of....you know....complaining.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By madrocketeer
@mattbbpl said:

A) Then you have just been oblivious to the effects. Even things such as tax rates and the national debt effect you (or your parents, which in turn effect you)

B) I'm not demeaning the apathetic or ambivalent. I'm demeaning the apathetic or ambivalent who complain about the inconvenience of seeing/hearing the statements of those who are not

Did you happen to miss the part where I said "Americans' choice" instead of "our choice?" I don't pay American taxes directly - I may do indirectly through my purchase of American products, but that's it.

And national debt? Please. That only becomes a problem if you're in danger of default, and as long as the U.S. Dollar retains its unique status as the world's favourite reserve currency, and the credit rating agencies still think your treasury bonds still pays, that's not happening any time soon. That's why neither of your parties have ever given two shits about adding to your national debt.

And even if you do default, it's still your problem, not mine.

@LJS9502_basic said:

@madrocketeer: And yet you can make a topic about what interests you instead of....you know....complaining.

Oh, I tried, but they keep getting drowned out by yet another "hey, look what Trump did, it's awesome," "oh, look what Trump did, it's terrible" and "you liberals/Republicans are worse than pond scum" threads. And they all contain nothing but shouting, trolling and self-superiority faux-lectures. Right. So intellectually stimulating, that.

All I'm saying is; these American politics threads are nothing but clusterf***s, but hey, if you like f***ing each other so much, keep going. Just get a damn room.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

A lot of people love the guy and a lot of people love to hate him.

@Jaysonguy said:

Liberals as you know have sent America down some poor paths and they have a lot of policies that really aren't that American.

So when someone like Trump comes in and says "I will work for America and real Americans and make them all stronger" it upsets quite a few.

Not just gaming but "art" in general. Movies, comics, television, etc., the make-up is roughly 3/4 liberals with 1/4 being conservatives, libertarians, etc.

It's no coincidence that liberals clump together either. They have a habit of ostracizing and stigmatizing anyone that doesn't fit with their agenda's or worldviews. There are many forums I post at (not here thankfully) where you'll literally get banned for espousing anything pro-Republican or anti-liberal, and the interesting part is that there are no such rules at these forums. That's one of the fundamental differences that will always encourage me to lean conservative. I don't believe in banning people just because I dislike their ideas. Censoring people for difference of opinion is the oldest, crappiest trick in the book. I think we should have a relatively free marketplace of ideas and communication. Unfortunately liberals are generally against that. Spock certainly wouldn't be a liberal.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Not just gaming but "art" in general. Movies, comics, television, etc., the make-up is roughly 3/4 liberals with 1/4 being conservatives, libertarians, etc.

It's no coincidence that liberals clump together either. They have a habit of ostracizing and stigmatizing anyone that doesn't fit with their agenda's or worldviews. There are many forums I post at (not here thankfully) where you'll literally get banned for espousing anything pro-Republican or anti-liberal, and the interesting part is that there are no such rules at these forums. That's one of the fundamental differences that will always encourage me to lean conservative. I don't believe in banning people just because I dislike their ideas. Censoring people for difference of opinion is the oldest, crappiest trick in the book. I think we should have a relatively free marketplace of ideas and communication. Unfortunately liberals are generally against that. Spock certainly wouldn't be a liberal.

Excellent point about things like TV and comics.

Marvel is essentially a pandering machine that just cares about who you're sleeping with and what color you are and TV is even worse these days.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Jaysonguy said:

And yet you voted for a guy who attacks anyone who has a different opinion from him, the irony is too much lol.

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TotalRobot
Member since 2017 • 187 Posts

Trump is entertaining to watch. It's like he's an actor playing a clown who is running a circus, only it's quite possible he's the only one in the circus who knows it's a circus. The levels of sheer absurdity from both sides of the aisle are just amazing.

This election, I've watched feminists do more to advance misogyny and racism than Trump could ever aspire to in efforts to battle Trump, Republicans masterfully reveal long-term results of years of manipulation and how they played the Democrats for fools (ACA, for example), the Democrats self-destruct in a way not seen in decades, and the list goes on and on. I'm sitting back and watching as person after person comes out of the woodwork and reveals their darkest sides, and in general it reveals we're the same people now as we were in 1776. Over two hundred years of being Americans, and we've not changed a bit,.

So, to a degree, I'm fascinated. This is better entertainment than most shows on television, and it all centers around an orange-skinned man with tiny hands. I want to see what is next. Does America settle down? Do the liberals realize Trump won't destroy America? Do the conservatives realize he's not their savior? What is the next twist? Does the show go on?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Conservatives have as well.

Both suck.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By madrocketeer
@mattbbpl said:

Regardless, people will talk about what they want to talk about. The most popular topics rise to the top of the board. That's just the way it is.

Sure, I accept that. But as I said, the volume of these threads is excessive, especially as the quality of these discussions are so incredibly poor. Improve the quality of your discussions, and trim the number of threads a bit, and maybe I'll complain a lot less.

But, you know, I'm a cynic, so I expect none of that to happen. That's why I said; get a damn room.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mattbbpl

@madrocketeer said:
@mattbbpl said:

Sure, I accept that. But as I said, the volume of these threads is excessive, especially as the quality of these discussions are so incredibly poor. Improve the quality of your discussions, and trim the number of threads a bit, and maybe I'll complain a lot less.

But, you know, I'm a cynic, so I expect none of that to happen. That's why I said; get a damn room.

You've just gotta wait. Today was an inauguration, this happens every election cycle. Come back in two days and the number of threads on the subject will be halved.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By madrocketeer
@mattbbpl said:

You've just gotta wait. Today was an inauguration, this happens every election cycle. Come back in two days and the number of threads on the subject will be halved.

Yeah, we'll see. Any hint of optimism left that wasn't already beaten out of me by my childhood in rural southern England hopes you're right. But, you know, I predicted Brexit over a decade ago, and I highly doubt a guy who has literally been compared to Hitler, and who once bizarrely rolled out a pile of raw steaks to a press conference after one of his primary wins is going to stop being talked about in just two days.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

It's like the train wreck that everyone wants to see.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Liberals are sore losers that can't handle defeat. @GreySeal9 still hasn't been seen since Trump won.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Liberals are sore losers that can't handle defeat. @GreySeal9 still hasn't been seen since Trump won.

Didn't bother reading any posts except for the last one. Totally forgot about that dude, calling me and others idiots for predicting Trump's victory. Hell, I'm not even American.