Why in the name of God is a football player paid more than a soldier? (READ OP)

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I just think it's crazy. I mean, I know there are obvious reasons to it, I'm just asking you guys, do you agree that this is crazy?
MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#2 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts

ikr? they both get hurt for no reason.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Of course it's crazy. It's also crazy that Charlie Sheen's constantly in the news because OMIGOSH he's addicted to drugs, yet I know of six soldiers that died this week (all in their early to mid twenties) who I guarantee will never be mentioned in the news.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

because people are willing to pay a football player that amount of money.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Because football players generate billions of dollars in revinue to their company (which is what a team is). Soldiers are government employees and there are many more of them.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
Football is more entertaining.
PirateSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PirateSatan
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts
Life sucks... Actors and Athletes are payed far to much... steal from them if you don't like it.
luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
I say we ban all sports and instead pit our soldiers against other country's soldiers for giggles, that way, I'm sure they'll demand a bigger pay.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Go look at comparisions between the average brain of x age with the average brain of same age that was a football player till retirement then maybe you will understand why their paid so much

I agree soldiers are underpaid but you know what its OUR TAX DOLLARS were already under debt in billions we cannot afford to increase it...

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Here's a better question: Why are mercenaries paid way more than soldiers?

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Soldiers are more easily replaceable than a football player. But if we're going to have this discussion, then how come teachers aren't paid more than a football player? Teachers are the one's who will pave the way for students to succed.

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 luisen123

Soldiers are more easily replaceable than a football player. But if we're going to have this discussion, then how come teachers aren't paid more than a football player? Teachers are the one's who will pave the way for students to succed.

ExoticAnimal
Because it's clearly more important to have a bunch of grown men hit each while chasing a ball, than intelligent people.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fueled-system

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

luisen123

Because it's clearly more important to have a bunch of grown men hit each while chasing a ball, than intelligent people.

One is getting paid by us with our tax dollars..... theres a huge difference...

MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts
[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

luisen123

Do millions of people watch teachers teach? Do thousands of fans come to stadiums to watch teachers teach?
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

ExoticAnimal

Since we're on the subject of comparing entirely different occupations, why isn't ____ paid more than ____?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="luisen123"][QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

fueled-system

Clearly, taxes should increase for the football players making seven-figure salaries so that the teachers making five-figure salaries are compensated adequately for their work.
luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luisen123
One is getting paid by us with our tax dollars..... theres a huge difference...fueled-system
Why, yes, one is rather useless and barbaric display of humanity while the other is must needed.
Do millions of people watch teachers teach? Do thousands of fans come to stadiums to watch teachers teach?MarioRPGer
Not where I live, maybe if it had more pain and ball chasing, perhaps?
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="luisen123"][QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"]

MarioRPGer

Do millions of people watch teachers teach? Do thousands of fans come to stadiums to watch teachers teach?

Millions of people do watch teachers teach, it's called school.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fueled-system

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="luisen123"] Because it's clearly more important to have a bunch of grown men hit each while chasing a ball, than intelligent people.Theokhoth

Clearly, taxes should increase for the football players making seven-figure salaries so that the teachers making five-figure salaries are compensated adequately for their work.

.... Your joking right... Look at my first post, do some research on what the average football player's brain looks like after say 20 years in the business... they are risking FAR SHORTER LIVES then the average person...

@luisen and thats your opinion, though most of the country disagrees with you

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="fueled-system"]

fueled-system

.... Your joking right... Look at my first post, do some research on what the average football player's brain looks like after say 20 years in the business... they are risking FAR SHORTER LIVES then the average person...

If they don't want that, they shouldn't choose to go into football, should they? Teachers = necessary, fundamental to society. Football = not.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theokhoth
@luisen and thats your opinion, though most of the country disagrees with youfueled-system
Most of the country is wrong. That's part of the point.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
This is a capitalist society. Football players generate billions, thus they make millions
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fueled-system

Once again football players are not payed by the tax dollars.... This is a comparison of apples to oranges, if you want to complain about pay how about complaining about actors who get millions and millions a year that do not risk their lives for people...

This whole comparison between football players to soldiers is pointless and is invalid..

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 luisen123

and thats your opinion, though most of the country disagrees with youfueled-system
And what kind country does that make, huh? HUH?

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

Not crazy at all, nobody should get rich on government money. Soldiers know what they can expect going in. Football players are profitable to their franchises, it helps everyone when they get payed tons of money. Then they turn around and buy tons of awesome stuff with their money and people get to produce high quality goods for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Football players get paid what they can generate. If people didn't enjoy watching sports and weren't willing to pay for it, they'd get paid nothing. And about 99.999% of people that play football, don't get paid for it. So it's only a small, elite group of people that get paid the large salaries. And they do get taxed. And they do pay large amounts of money to the government that then gets redistributed to help pay for other things. So I don't fault them for anything.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

That's just the market that ballers are in. They bring in a ton of money and are paid accordingly. They're paid so well because Mr. and Mrs. America like sports. It's not rocket science.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Ok we had a thread were people mentioned soldiers compared to football athletes, etc. The simple answer is one is way more known than the other. A soldier is an abstraction among a couple million of the same thing. Football players are more rare. It is simple really, if you can get the population to notice your product, you will make lots of money. The military is a need, not a want. Also society could not afford to pay anymore than we already are. And they may not even be doing something that is necessary, they could possibly never have a fight, etc. Entertainment is about appealing to the masses, they are in a way more advantagous field than someone who carries a gun all day long.

In short, entertainment pays well if you can get in. It has nothing to do with hard work, I dislike the arguement that ahtletes bust their asses so they deserve millions. There is no measurement for how much someone deserves. It is called being privileged.

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 luisen123

Ok we had a thread were people mentioned soldiers compared to football athletes, etc. The simple answer is one is way more known than the other. A soldier is an abstraction among a couple million of the same thing. Football players are more rare. It is simple really, if you can get the population to notice your product, you will make lots of money. The military is a need, not a want. Also society could not afford to pay anymore than we already are. And they may not even be doing something that is necessary, they could possibly never have a fight, etc. Entertainment is about appealing to the masses, they are in a way more advantagous field than someone who carries a gun all day long.

In short, entertainment pays well if you can get in. It has nothing to do with hard work, I dislike the arguement that ahtletes bust their asses so they deserve. There is no measurement for how much someone deserves.

mahlasor
Build a modern coliseum! Soldiers and entertainment! No need for football players anymore. Someone send this proposal to Obama.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

football players aren't paid by the government

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Because people are willing to pay them all the money to be entertained.
RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

Becoming a soldier is fairly easy, you just need to be fit, determined, and brave. To be a football player you must be extremely fit (unless your a linebacker or kicker or something) you must be extremely good, and you must be extremely determined. So i'd say they deserve more money, as becoming a NFL player is no east task.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I guess that's the market economy for you.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

Becoming a soldier is fairly easy, you just need to be fit, determined, and brave. To be a football player you must be extremely fit (unless your a linebacker or kicker or something) you must be extremely good, and you must be extremely determined. So i'd say they deserve more money, as becoming a NFL player is no east task.

RAGINGxPONY
I wouldn't say they deserve more money, I would say they are more qualified to get more money.
RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

Nick3306

I wouldn't say they deserve more money, I would say they are more qualified to get more money.

True, worded that wrong.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Soldiers are a dime a dozen

It's rare that you can find an athlete that will cause millions of people to spend billions of dollars

I honestly don't even know how this is a question

When's the last time you ever heard of someone paying for a satellite package to watch a soldier do anything?

Right about never, that's when you saw it

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

In short, entertainment pays well if you can get in. It has nothing to do with hard work, I dislike the arguement that ahtletes bust their asses so they deserve. There is no measurement for how much someone deserves.

luisen123

Build a modern coliseum! Soldiers and entertainment! No need for football players anymore. Someone send this proposal to Obama.

I told my cousin's godson whose wife is the White House plumber. I bet that will get through.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
You get paid according to how hard you are to replace. A soldier is much easier to replace than Payton Manning. Plus, team owners are getting billions of dollars off of these players, shouldn't the players be entitled to some of that money? Hell, I could make a case that NFL players deserve MORE money because they are the people keeping the billion dollar business that is the NFL, afloat. There is a ton of demand for the sport, people pay a lot of money to see that sport, the owners make billions of dollars and then pay the players a ton of money because they are the ones getting the money for the owners. Some players are better and more exciting to watch, so that makes them worth more money because they make more money for the owner. It is simple economics.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
I just think it's crazy. I mean, I know there are obvious reasons to it, I'm just asking you guys, do you agree that this is crazy?Blabadon
vick just got 20 million for one year.... i asked my friend who just got out of the navy, how much his wife woulda got if he had got killed while serving. and he said 475,000. so next year vick will be worth more then 43 of our brave soldiers lives:shock:
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I just think it's crazy. I mean, I know there are obvious reasons to it, I'm just asking you guys, do you agree that this is crazy?monson21502
vick just got 20 million for one year.... i asked my friend who just got out of the navy, how much his wife woulda got if he had got killed while serving. and he said 475,000. so next year vick will be worth more then 43 of our brave soldiers lives:shock:

And how many people will pay money to watch those 43 soldiers do anything at all?

None

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Here's a better question: Why are mercenaries paid way more than soldiers?

Palantas

Why, when we spend more than every other country combined on defense, do we need mercs?

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Supply in demand. :oops:

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

1. It takes legislation from both houses of Congress + signed by the President to make a military pay raise.

2. Top enlisted rank and Flag Officer ranks are limited (number) by law, and the latter falls under Executive Pay laws, which have a cap that would take law to be raised.

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

ExoticAnimal

Are you kidding me. A teacher spends somewhere around 4 years of studies to become a teacher, and then they have the privilege of having the longest vacations out of all legitimate professions. Here in Australia a first year teacher gets around $48,000 - 50,000 a year, with a 12 week holiday. If anything teachers are over payed. I'd hardly say that they are paving the way for students to succeed when most teachers dont care anyway.

And while i am at it, why aren't builders payed more than most when they are responsible for putting a roof over the heads for millions. And farmers for providing food that keeps people alive.

TopGearDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TopGearDog
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

Because the Football teams take in so much money on revenue from advertising and millions of people watching the game so they can afford to pay footballers this much. If we wanted out souldiers to get paid this much to come up with the money all of us would have to pay atleast 99% of our wages into taxes for the government to be able to afford it.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Because the Football teams take in so much money on revenue from advertising and millions of people watching the game so they can afford to pay footballers this much. If we wanted out souldiers to get paid this much to come up with the money all of us would have to pay atleast 99% of our wages into taxes for the government to be able to afford it.

TopGearDog

Hello, U.S. soldiers aren't freeloading, they pay Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax (depending upon which state is their home), Social Security, and Medicare Tax.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

It's called sponsor money.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

[QUOTE="MarioRPGer"][QUOTE="luisen123"] Because it's clearly more important to have a bunch of grown men hit each while chasing a ball, than intelligent people.zeldaluff

Millions of people do watch teachers teach, it's called school.

Somebody call the Fire Department!!!
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
i like football better than war so i think its ok