Why in the name of God is a football player paid more than a soldier? (READ OP)

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

Once again football players are not payed by the tax dollars.... This is a comparison of apples to oranges, if you want to complain about pay how about complaining about actors who get millions and millions a year that do not risk their lives for people...

This whole comparison between football players to soldiers is pointless and is invalid..

fueled-system

i agree all sports or the owners, movie ,music stars. and video game makers need to be to taxed so hard we will have enuff money for 1000 years of social security.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="I"]

Here's a better question: Why are mercenaries paid way more than soldiers?

Former_Slacker

Why, when we spend more than every other country combined on defense, do we need mercs?

I think it's because mercenaries are better at what they do. They make better use of their training time, and they can train for highly specialized missions, moreso than military units, which have to be prepared for a wide range of operations.

EDIT: Let me further add, that private military companies siphon off many of the best soldiers. Elite soldiers are way, way underpaid.

stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#53 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

I really don't want to pay crazy high taxes for soldiers...

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 monson21502

[QUOTE="monson21502"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]I just think it's crazy. I mean, I know there are obvious reasons to it, I'm just asking you guys, do you agree that this is crazy?Jaysonguy

vick just got 20 million for one year.... i asked my friend who just got out of the navy, how much his wife woulda got if he had got killed while serving. and he said 475,000. so next year vick will be worth more then 43 of our brave soldiers lives:shock:

And how many people will pay money to watch those 43 soldiers do anything at all?

None

if they recorded war. it would be watched way more then football trust me:wink:

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]vick just got 20 million for one year.... i asked my friend who just got out of the navy, how much his wife woulda got if he had got killed while serving. and he said 475,000. so next year vick will be worth more then 43 of our brave soldiers lives:shock:monson21502

And how many people will pay money to watch those 43 soldiers do anything at all?

None

No it wouldnt.
TopGearDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 TopGearDog
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

[QUOTE="TopGearDog"]

Because the Football teams take in so much money on revenue from advertising and millions of people watching the game so they can afford to pay footballers this much. If we wanted out souldiers to get paid this much to come up with the money all of us would have to pay atleast 99% of our wages into taxes for the government to be able to afford it.

topsemag55

Hello, U.S. soldiers aren't freeloading, they pay Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax (depending upon which state is their home), Social Security, and Medicare Tax.

I never said Soldiers were freeloading. I was saying footballers are entertainers and because of this get that much money paid, there would be no chance of these wages going down because of the amount of money they bring in. Which would be for soldiers wages to be more they would need to get paid 100fold. To fund this there would need to be a serious increase in tax to put there wages up.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

To play devil's advocate...

Capitalism is based on scarcity of good or skill. As scacicity goes up, so does value (pay).

The chances of having a pro any sport come from your highschool are slim to none. However their is always a good percentage of your highschoolclas s joining the military. Thus the scarcity of a pro level athlete(football in this case) is significantly higher than the scarcity of potential soldiers, and that is why they are payed more as pro football players are in high demand for entertainment..

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="TopGearDog"]

Because the Football teams take in so much money on revenue from advertising and millions of people watching the game so they can afford to pay footballers this much. If we wanted out souldiers to get paid this much to come up with the money all of us would have to pay atleast 99% of our wages into taxes for the government to be able to afford it.

topsemag55

Hello, U.S. soldiers aren't freeloading, they pay Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax (depending upon which state is their home), Social Security, and Medicare Tax.

You mean while they're in service??? They're paying tax out of the wage given to them from our tax money... so they take the country's tax money and then give a little bit of it back....
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#59 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
It's amazing how many people didn't read the OP, but who does now? :P I really just want to know if you guys find this weird, you guys are giving great answers on the obvious reasons why.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 monson21502

i never been to a live nfl game but i been to a NBA and a MLB game and ill tell you right now.... they are not that better then if you would go to a local high school team play. in fact ive seen better play on the play ground in basketball... pro sports is wayyyyyyyyyyy over rated and waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy over paid. i dont even watch probaseball or basketball anymore and im on the fence about football. if they have a strike im out!

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="TopGearDog"]

F1_2004

You mean while they're in service??? They're paying tax out of the wage given to them from our tax money... so they take the country's tax money and then give a little bit of it back....

And many American civilians try to dodge paying the IRS (look at all of the businesses airing commercials about saving tax-dodgers).

Soldiers can't - if any try, BOOM! Automatic court-martial.

Charged with financial irresponsibility.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

because the NFL is willing to pay more than the government?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

It's common sense. For the military to function we need to have troops that stay in for years to make a lot of rank so they can be in charge. The military can't run off of privates, Airmen, and seamen. Your average general officer has over 30 years of military service. General Petraeus (probably the most famous general right now due to his efforts in the Middle East) served in the Army since 1974 (not counting his time at West Point). While he may make over $200,000 a year as a general now, if he was paid an insane amount of money right off the bat he may have left the military a lot sooner. Imagine if you paid a private $10,000,000 a year. While you'll get a lot more people trying to join, after about three or four years of service he may just take what he has and leave rather than staying in longer especially if he gets PO'd at his leaders. Granted, not everybody would get out but some people would just rationaize that they could live the rest of their life off of twenty or thirty million and you wouldn't have people staying in that long.

The bigger reason even if people do decide to stay in is the budget. Obviously, if a private is making ten million a year then a sergeant will expect to make twenty million and a general will expect to make fifty million. How would you justify paying millions of troops that much money? People already complain about the DOD's budget and going by most of the people in OT a lot of people think the defense budget should be slashed to a fraction of what it is now. You can imagine how much more a year it would cost to pay troops even one million each a year, it would bankrupt us. In the case of athletes, they may not deserve more money, but giving them more money is justified due to their efforts. The only thing that pays the salary of a servicemember is your tax dollars. On the other hand, the money you spend to buy stadium tickets, that NFL package on your TV, and more is why a rookie football player may get a multi-million dollar contract. Look at the Super Bowl, three million per advertisement and stadium tickets that were in the thousands a piece. That would more than pay the salaries of both teams who played that night.

At the same time, how many people do you know pay tickets to watch troops fight? When I was in Iraq in 2005 they were pumping details about the Michael Jackson trial on our TVs in the dining facility almost 24-7 while deaths of troops were just blips on the news ticker on the bottom. It may not seem fair but it makes sense from a financial point of view.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

topsemag55

And many American civilians try to dodge paying the IRS (look at all of the businesses airing commercials about saving tax-dodgers).

Soldiers can't - if any try, BOOM! Automatic court-martial.

Charged with financial irresponsibility.

Well none of that matters though because the soldier isn't contributing anything, since his original salary is all from tax money. If he pays tax, that still means that he's taking tax money from the government coffers, just a little bit less of it. If the soldier's wage is $40,000, and he pays 10% tax, then he's not contributing $4000 to the government... he's just taking $36,000 away from the government.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Palantas

You mean while they're in service??? They're paying tax out of the wage given to them from our tax money... so they take the country's tax money and then give a little bit of it back....F1_2004

Yes, that is entirely accurate. The only exception being that when soldiers are deployed overseas, they are exempt from Federal income tax. However, I'm pretty sure that applies to anyone working overseas who makes less than a certain amount of money.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Do you people really want doctors, teachers, police, firefighters or soldiers to be paid is much as ballplayers? Is that really what you want?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 topsemag55

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]You mean while they're in service??? They're paying tax out of the wage given to them from our tax money... so they take the country's tax money and then give a little bit of it back....Palantas

Yes, that is entirely accurate. The only exception being that when soldiers are deployed overseas, they are exempt from Federal income tax. However, I'm pretty sure that applies to anyone working overseas who makes less than a certain amount of money.

Yup, when I was serving I worked overseas with General Electric contractors. The first $70,000 of their salary was tax-exempt.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
not crazy at all.

I didn't read the op.

thattotally
you did not miss anything
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]You mean while they're in service??? They're paying tax out of the wage given to them from our tax money... so they take the country's tax money and then give a little bit of it back....topsemag55

Yup, when I was serving I worked overseas with General Electric contractors. The first $70,000 of their salary was tax-exempt.

I gotta say - I'm mesmerized by your signature.

dezzyfiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 dezzyfiesta
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

Cos you don't need to give a football player a plane/ tank/ ship?

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Because the government can't pay me 700,000 dollars a month, but football players can make all sorts of deals and contracts for more money.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Palantas"]

worlock77

I gotta say - I'm mesmerized by your signature.

And it's an actual invention.:P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="monson21502"]vick just got 20 million for one year.... i asked my friend who just got out of the navy, how much his wife woulda got if he had got killed while serving. and he said 475,000. so next year vick will be worth more then 43 of our brave soldiers lives:shock:monson21502

None

No it wouldn't, that was tried during "Desert Storm"

People got sick of the coverage really fast

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
It makes perfect sense in any capitalist society. Anyone can be a soldier few can be a pro football player.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

This is a capitalist society. Football players generate billions, thus they make millions weezyfb

This basically sums things up.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
Football is more entertaining. Dylan_11
sorry is that a personal opinion or fact?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Because football players generate billions of dollars in revinue to their company (which is what a team is). Soldiers are government employees and there are many more of them.

Pirate700

Yep. I wonder how people get confused by this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No I don't agree.

I think that servicemembers are underpaid, but there are a lot of perks to being in the military. I think the biggest is the respect you get from almost everyone else. Most people in this country support the troops. Doesn't matter how you feel about war, there's no reason not to support the people who have volunteered to fight them for you.

My greatest memories come from walking through airports in my uniform and having random people just come up and hug me or shake my hand. There really isn't a better feeling than that.

Sure, we could stand to be paid a little bit more, but I never went hungry when I was in, so I think we'll survive.

SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

[QUOTE="I"]

Here's a better question: Why are mercenaries paid way more than soldiers?

Palantas

Why, when we spend more than every other country combined on defense, do we need mercs?

I think it's because mercenaries are better at what they do. They make better use of their training time, and they can train for highly specialized missions, moreso than military units, which have to be prepared for a wide range of operations.

EDIT: Let me further add, that private military companies siphon off many of the best soldiers. Elite soldiers are way, way underpaid.

They do have lots of eliete guys, many people who are mercs were once soldiers, including special forces operators.

Also, why do we need/have mercs when we have the military that we do?

Regulations and liability.

They aren't held accountable to the same rules, and can work around them. and if they get caught? " What you found some of our boys? They say US army on them? -no- Well then, they ain't ours."

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
1. An NFL player is on par with special forces not the general soldiary 2. Supply and demand.
RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

I thought this thread was about soccer even though I call soccer soccer...

hayabusatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 hayabusatan
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
It's crazy but it's because idiots buy into that crap.
kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#83 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

It's because that's how capitalism works.If you're smart or talented, you'll make more money than the people that aren't. Becoming an NFL star requires more talent than joining the army.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Umm, it's a combination of the U.S. economic system and the U.S. culture.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 topsemag55

No it wouldn't, that was tried during "Desert Storm"

People got sick of the coverage really fast

Jaysonguy

That was CNN's fault.

What became funny was that we would all run into the breakroom to see how quick CNN would catch a Scud missile being shot down.:lol:

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#86 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I could walk through downtown san antonio and find 20 thousand people capable of being a soldier if the need should arise, yet I would be unable to find one person who could replace Tim Duncan if he left the spurs. Pro sports is a multibillion dollar industry thanks to the talent of its athletes, and teams are willing to pay top dollar to keep their best players; if the Spurs decided to stop paying Duncan an 8-figure salary, there are 30 other teams who would gladly do so. If a soldier decides not to re-enlist in the army, they're already got 80,000 people going through boot camp each year who can step up and replace him.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Because the profit margin for owning a sports team is higher than the profit margin for going to war. Thus, the employees get paid more. /thread
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
1, why did you go with football? -they have the shortest career -suffer the most injury -get paid the least (above as compared to baseball and basketball) 2. It is all about a. replacability -how easy it is to replace you -I can go out in Dallas and find 10,000+ people to replace to next incoming class of 'grunts' in the military -I cannot go out and just find the next Lebron, Manning, etc b. market demand -what are people willing to pay for your services (ticket and merchandise sales) -how much interest does it generate (advertising, tv deals)
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Palantas

I can go out in Dallas and find 10,000+ people to replace to next incoming class of 'grunts' in the military -I cannot go out and just find the next Lebron, Manning, etcrawsavon

I'm having déjà vu here.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I can go out in Dallas and find 10,000+ people to replace to next incoming class of 'grunts' in the military -I cannot go out and just find the next Lebron, Manning, etcPalantas

I'm having déjà vu here.

...welcome to OT my responses are reused in accordance with the thread recycling conservation act of 2011 TBH I just keep a spreadsheet with all my responses, tabs are sorted by topics (girl, workout, religion, etc),and I just do a quick v-lookup to find a match. Makes my posts quick and easy
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I can go out in Dallas and find 10,000+ people to replace to next incoming class of 'grunts' in the military -I cannot go out and just find the next Lebron, Manning, etcrawsavon

I'm having déjà vu here.

...welcome to OT my responses are reused in accordance with the thread recycling conservation act of 2011 TBH I just keep a spreadsheet with all my responses, tabs are sorted by topics (girl, workout, religion, etc),and I just do a quick v-lookup to find a match. Makes my posts quick and easy

I just realized that you have more post than me...
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Palantas"]

I'm having déjà vu here.

Lonelynight

I just realized that you have more post than me...

I have been recycling a lot as of late...just doing my part to help save mother GS

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#93 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Someone picked the wrong career option!

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I can go out in Dallas and find 10,000+ people to replace to next incoming class of 'grunts' in the military -I cannot go out and just find the next Lebron, Manning, etcrawsavon

I'm having déjà vu here.

I'd like a copy of that spreadsheet to add to my list of awesome things to say.
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
There are more Soldiers than football players. Do you think the government has enough money to pay that much money for each soldier?
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#96 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

A soldier has no right to complain about not being paid enough or being remembered for their efforts. That's what being a soldier is. You kill and die for your country, usually for nothing.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 rawsavon
There are more Soldiers than football players. Do you think the government has enough money to pay that much money for each soldier?CongressManStan
Also, the more they pay them = the more people sign up = even greater strain on the tax dollars collected = have to make cuts elsewhere to afford the increase in salaries The market says that soldiers are paid what they should be paid (assuming we have the right amount in service) -a shortage or overabundance can be corrected by decreasing/increasing benefits and/or pay
trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#98 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

Well are you willing to pay the government more money to increase the 200k+ soldiers in the military right now? Prob not. But most ppl are willing to pay for the internet, cable, junk food, & other things that indirectly support the NFL players.

OmegaAxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 OmegaAxl
Member since 2005 • 36971 Posts
Tiger Woods earns 100x more then football players 9000x more then a Soldier.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
You get paid based on how replaceable you are.