Why are old movies so terrible?

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Recently i've been watching a lot of old movies, from 1940 to 1990 (the 80s being by far the best) I gotta say they really suck bad, not because of special effects or anything, the acting is just lame, the plot is dull and boring, dialogue is crappy and the directing is just terrible.

for example yesterday I watched F.I.S.T with sylvester stallone...its a movie about some union worker or something like that, well it was super boring and at the end of the movie, the guy arrives to his home, and realizes that his wife and children are missing, the guy goes crazy and takes his pistol and start looking for them, and as soon as he gets to the staircase, 2 men shoot him, but you cant even see the guy dying, as soon as they shot, you see the man getting the shot, and then the movie stops and it fades to another scene where a truck has a sticker saying "where's johny?" then the movie ends! at first I was like "well...depressing...but I guess its because it was based on a real life story"t

turns out the movie was fictional, there was never some union worker called johny kovak...so they could have made anything, anything to fix that terrible ending, why didnt they?

and i've watched a bunch of classics, seriously its just...no challenge at all.

I watched this clint eastwood movie that tells the story of the men who escaped from alcatraz...the movie had no, how to say, action, no tense situations, as soon as the guys start the prison break, you would expect something like the guards finding out and chasing them, but nothing happened, the guys started the break and the cops didnt noticed until they escaped, then the movie ended.

a lot of other movies, where the directing is just terrible...so why are old movies so fricking bad?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
hmmmm..... I've seen a lot of good older movies. Perhaps you're just looking in the wrong places.
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

are you saying that Alfred Hitchcock's movies are bad? :x

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lightleggy

are you saying that Alfred Hitchcock's movies are bad? :x

Crazyguy105
I actually watched some of hitchcock's and I really didnt felt impressed
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
My two favorite movies are from before 1970 so I can't say I agree with you
EsYuGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EsYuGee
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts

Charlie Chaplin movies are pretty good. Modern Times is one of my favorite ones. You can't get much older than thoses.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
My two favorite movies are from before 1970 so I can't say I agree with youJML897
Which ones are those?
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Aren't you the guy that craps on everything HBO puts out? Also, the 80s is a pretty bad decade for film.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I disagree. I just saw Sunset Boulevard. Great movie.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I disagree completely. To me, it just sounds like you suck at finding good movies.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

lot of good movies in the 80s..Most of the 80s are arnold and sylvester some of my favorates hehe..Good times good times..Seriously we had a lot of good comedies in the 80s..Feris beulers day off..In the 90s we had my all time fav shawshank redemption can watch that show over and over and over..

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Seven Samurai disagrees with you. Theres lots of good movies from a long time ago, watch westerns, a lot of those are brilliant.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
It's you, not the movies.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lightleggy
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]Aren't you the guy that craps on everything HBO puts out? Also, the 80s is a pretty bad decade for film.

HBO series are terrible, possibly the worst thing that happened to mankind, but we are not discussing this here, we are discussing about old movies.
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

No fancy CGI or attractive actors/actresses.

But it's all the same.....There are gems among an ocean of **** though.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sammyjenkis898

but we are not discussing this here, we are discussing about old movies.lightleggy

Ah, okay.

Any other old films that you didn't like?

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
Are you calling Humphrey Bogart's movies terrible? How dare you? :P
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

they're not terrible, they are just dated

but yeah, for the most part I can't help but laugh when you hear the typical "Man, they dont make 'em like they used to" comments concerning entertainment. I am sorry, but the acting, cinematography, and general plot of older movies is downright atrocious relative to new movies.

We may complain about how Hollywood is churning out movies so quick and of such poor quality, but believe me when I say we do not want to return to how things used to be.

If a movie tried to pull a "I'm Spartacus" moment like that, it'd be laughed at. It worked back then because standards were lower, but doing the equivelent of that would get the movie slapped with "corny" and "preachy" and "overacting" titles.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

Seven Samurai disagrees with you. Theres lots of good movies from a long time ago, watch westerns, a lot of those are brilliant.

sailor232

ironically, a lot of westerns were based off Akira Kurosawa (guy that did Seven Samurai)

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lightleggy

they're not terrible, they are just dated

but yeah, for the most part I can't help but laugh when you hear the typical "Man, they dont make 'em like they used to" comments concerning entertainment. I am sorry, but the acting, cinematography, and general plot of older movies is downright atrocious relative to new movies.

We may complain about how Hollywood is churning out movies so quick and of such poor quality, but believe me when I say we do not want to return to how things used to be.

If a movie tried to pull a "I'm Spartacus" moment like that, it'd be laughed at. It worked back then because standards were lower, but doing the equivelent of that would get the movie slapped with "corny" and "preachy" and "overacting" titles.

mrbojangles25
exactly, it might have been good back then, but its terrible now.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

Care to list some more of the old movies you've seen? 1940's to 70's specifically?

I need to know how hard I need to laugh. Thanks.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sammyjenkis898

but yeah, for the most part I can't help but laugh when you hear the typical "Man, they dont make 'em like they used to" comments concerning entertainment. I am sorry, but thecinematographyis downright atrocious relative to new movies.mrbojangles25

Really?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lightleggy

Care to list some more of the old movies you've seen? 1940's to 70's specifically?

TreyoftheDead
I dont know the names, Its not like I rent them, I just watch a channel that puts old movies and old stuff, I like watching classic series like macguiver or bonanza and I do admit that some of the movies are entertaining, im just saying that the quality of the movie is real low in today's standards.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]Aren't you the guy that craps on everything HBO puts out? Also, the 80s is a pretty bad decade for film.

HBO series are terrible, possibly the worst thing that happened to mankind, but we are not discussing this here, we are discussing about old movies.

Lol?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lightleggy
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]Aren't you the guy that craps on everything HBO puts out? Also, the 80s is a pretty bad decade for film.

Lol?

we are not discossing this here. end of business.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Can't say I agree with you, but it's good to see a thread that does not complain about modern entertainment sucking for a change.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]My two favorite movies are from before 1970 so I can't say I agree with youmattbbpl
Which ones are those?

The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Seven Samurai.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
1939 was like the year for great movies. Most old movies are way better than the trash that comes out today.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

but yeah, for the most part I can't help but laugh when you hear the typical "Man, they dont make 'em like they used to" comments concerning entertainment. I am sorry, but thecinematographyis downright atrocious relative to new movies.sammyjenkis898

Really?

Yes, really. And the images you posted are more about pretty scenery, not about doing something with that scenery.

EsYuGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EsYuGee
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

I dont know the names, Its not like I rent them, I just watch a channel that puts old movies and old stuff, I like watching classic series like macguiver or bonanza and I do admit that some of the movies are entertaining, im just saying that the quality of the movie is real low in today's standards.

Trolling much? But just in case you arent, what's the name of the channel? Have you seen Lawrence or Arabia or Ben Hur? Sound of Music or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sammyjenkis898

Yes, really. And the images you posted are more about pretty scenery, not about doing something with that scenery.

mrbojangles25

That's because they're images. Try watching them in motion.

Inception's style is about as bland as you can get.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

sammyjenkis898

I agree, I couldn't even finish Inception
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lightleggy
[QUOTE="EsYuGee"][QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

Trolling much? But just in case you arent, what's the name of the channel? Have you seen Lawrence or Arabia or Ben Hur? Sound of Music or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

its called TCM, I doubt you know about it, I live in latinamerica Im not sure if its an american channel. i've watched TGTB&TU, I love westerns, im excluding westerns in this thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
It's one thing to say that you don't enjoy them but it's another to state that they're "terrible" as if it's a fact. I can understand having opinions and different tastes than others, but I think you're being a bit pompous stating everything as if you have some sort of better judgment than the rest of the world. There are plenty of excellent older movies. It's too bad that you can't enjoy them, but that's your problem.
TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

Old movies are far from terrible, as a matter of fact I'd rather watch a classic and well thought out movie rather than some movie about zombies for the umpteenth and a half time. If anything movies have gotten WORSE

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

imaps3fanboy

I agree, I couldn't even finish Inception

fair enough, but if you look at the image theyre taking a complete sterile, symmetrical room with tons of straight lines and turning it on its side. It looks so incredibly wrong, it is actually kind of pretty.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

It's one thing to say that you don't enjoy them but it's another to state that they're "terrible" as if it's a fact. I can understand having opinions and different tastes than others, but I think you're being a bit pompous stating everything as if you have some sort of better judgment than the rest of the world. There are plenty of excellent older movies. It's too bad that you can't enjoy them, but that's your problem.t3hrubikscube

ya this

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#38 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
They aren't as good as today's movies in terms of acting and so on, i agree. Anyone who disagrees is clearly being too sentimental.
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
I agree. Just like games before they tend to be boring and dull. Anyway, movies before just aren't appealing compared to movies today. I think budget has something to do with it. High Budget = More Effects = Provides wonderful cinematic experience = More appealing. Also, actresses today are much prettier compared back then.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sammyjenkis898

fair enough, but if you look at the image theyre taking a complete sterile, symmetrical room with tons of straight lines and turning it on its side. It looks so incredibly wrong, it is actually kind of pretty.

mrbojangles25

There you go.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

mrbojangles25

You can find better images than that by doing a simple google image search for "film noir". :P

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
you should make an effort at understanding the movies before calling them bad and assimilate a broader number of old movies before making such a puerile generalisation
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TreyoftheDead

They aren't as good as today's movies in terms of acting and so on, i agree. Anyone who disagrees is clearly being too sentimental.SolidSnake35

What does this even mean!?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#45 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]They aren't as good as today's movies in terms of acting and so on, i agree. Anyone who disagrees is clearly being too sentimental.TreyoftheDead

It's an old movie... so let's assess it according to different standards.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
You're just not a movie fan, that's all that is.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TreyoftheDead

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]They aren't as good as today's movies in terms of acting and so on, i agree. Anyone who disagrees is clearly being too sentimental.SolidSnake35

It's an old movie... so let's assess it according to different standards.

Still not making any sense, buddy.

Most people don't hold older films up to different standards to give them a free pass if that's what you are insinuating. I'll take Peter O'Toole's performance in Lawrence of Arabia, Alec Guinness' performance in The Bridge on the River Kwai, Orson Welles' performance in Citizen Kane, Maria Falconetti's performance in The Passion of Joan of Arc, or Gloria Swanson's performance in Sunset Blvd. over most of the pathetic, overly sentimental performances I've seen in some of the modern "great movies."

Great acting existed in the 30's and it still exists today; people are just too shallow to comprehend different acting styles.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
anyone who writes off all old films as bad doesnt appreiate nor have a good understanding of film. and i dont mean this in a bad way. but you jut dont understand film. once you watch more movies you will start to realise why you are wrong and your appreciation will grow. but of course, whatever time period, there will always be good and bad films.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Got to disagree with the TC. A lot of my all time favorite movies are decades old.

strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

the **** did you just say!!? :P