Why are Eugenics condemned?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silly_pants
Member since 2012 • 233 Posts
Shouldn't we strive for perfection and to cure societies woes through science? I admit that I probably would not live if Eugenics were a reality and I probably should not reproduce... I think that if we can eliminate diseases and certain conditions through genetic engineering it is the Duty of us as humans to do so.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="silly_pants"]Shouldn't we strive for perfection and to cure societies woes through science? I admit that I probably would not live if Eugenics were a reality and I probably should not reproduce... I think that if we can eliminate diseases and certain conditions through genetic engineering it is the Duty of us as humans to do so.

Okay...let's ignore the moral implications. Even if I were some kind of monster who was okay with eliminating and/or sterilizing people against their will because I thought they were inferior and a cancer on the human race, it's still a bad ****ing idea. Why? Because it reduces our species' genetic diversity. It's a short-sighted tactic that presumes that we actually know what kind of traits will be beneficial or detrimental to us. It's like...take a disease such as sickle cell anemia. Bad disease. However, the genes which cause the disease also are responsible for a resistance to malaria, another deadly disease which has killed a $***load of people. Today's "inferior" genes might very well be the genes that save the entire human race sometime in the future. It's hard to know, because it's hard to predict what conditions will be present in the future. Even from a purely amoral standpoint, you want humans to be genetically diverse because that's the best chance of our long-term survival as a species.
silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silly_pants
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="silly_pants"]Shouldn't we strive for perfection and to cure societies woes through science? I admit that I probably would not live if Eugenics were a reality and I probably should not reproduce... I think that if we can eliminate diseases and certain conditions through genetic engineering it is the Duty of us as humans to do so.

Okay...let's ignore the moral implications. Even if I were some kind of monster who was okay with eliminating and/or sterilizing people against their will because I thought they were inferior and a cancer on the human race, it's still a bad ****ing idea. Why? Because it reduces our species' genetic diversity. It's a short-sighted tactic that presumes that we actually know what kind of traits will be beneficial or detrimental to us. It's like...take a disease such as sickle cell anemia. Bad disease. However, the genes which cause the disease also are responsible for a resistance to malaria, another deadly disease which has killed a $***load of people. Today's "inferior" genes might very well be the genes that save the entire human race sometime in the future. It's hard to know, because it's hard to predict what conditions will be present in the future. Even from a purely amoral standpoint, you want humans to be genetically diverse because that's the best chance of our long-term survival as a species.

Genetic diversity can be artificially engineered. I am the "monster" but you want people to suffer while others are heralded as superior to them. Not to mention resistance to malaria and other disorders can be built up and engineered with science. If anything I am a hero for advocating this while the theocracy prevents it.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Because of the Nazis, of course

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="silly_pants"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="silly_pants"]Shouldn't we strive for perfection and to cure societies woes through science? I admit that I probably would not live if Eugenics were a reality and I probably should not reproduce... I think that if we can eliminate diseases and certain conditions through genetic engineering it is the Duty of us as humans to do so.

Genetic diversity can be artificially engineered. I am the "monster" but you want people to suffer while others are heralded as superior to them. Not to mention resistance to malaria and other disorders can be built up and engineered with science. If anything I am a hero for advocating this while the theocracy prevents it.

You seem to be saying that all this can be engineered with very little evidence. Also, why would be engineer genetic diversity when we don't have to? Seems like a waste of money.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Lol, scientists say that in a few decades we'll be able to choose the best genes in our kids.

So say hello to a bunch of blue eyed athletic geniuses in the developed world.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

Because of the Nazis, of course

gamerguru100

Ah, you beat me to the punch. I was gonna mention Hitler and his "master race" are a good example of why we don't want eugenics to be practiced by our government. How would you like it if you were sterilized or not allowed to reproduce because your genes weren't good enough? I'm not against genetic engineering as long as it's done willfully by the individuals who want their kids to have the best genes, but forcibly sterilizing certain people is just plain morally wrong. The United States government at one point did this to some of its own victims/citizens.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="silly_pants"] If anything I am a hero for advocating this while the theocracy prevents it.

I don't think you understand that word. Perhaps eugenics for terrible TCs is an order?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="silly_pants"] Genetic diversity can be artificially engineered.

Uh...what? You're talking about weeding out certain genes for the betterment of the human species, I just mentioned how having lots of different genes (even the "bad" ones) is good. You're now talking about "artificially engineering" those genes? Well, why the f*** would you eliminate those genes in the first place if you're just going to artificially create them again anyway? Do you have any idea how inefficient and flatout stupid that is?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="silly_pants"] Genetic diversity can be artificially engineered.

Uh...what? You're talking about weeding out certain genes for the betterment of the human species, I just mentioned how having lots of different genes (even the "bad" ones) is good. You're now talking about "artificially engineering" those genes? Well, why the f*** would you eliminate those genes in the first place if you're just going to artificially create them again anyway? Do you have any idea how inefficient and flatout stupid that is?

He clearly just wants to have an excuse to kill billions of people.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="silly_pants"] Genetic diversity can be artificially engineered.

inefficient? Currently the stupid have more children than those who choose to educate themselves. Drop-outs on average have MORE children, at younger ages, and make less money. We need to start weeding out the stupid, else in 100 years, for every "Normal"(if you could call them that, "perfect" maybe?) child, you'll have 50 children who're too dumb to tie their shoes.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Uh... We need to start weeding out the stupid, else in 100 years, for every "Normal"(if you could call them that, "perfect" maybe?) child, you'll have 50 children who're too dumb to tie their shoes.Nibroc420

Implying that we aren't facing this dilemma already

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Because there's no way I could imitate Ricardo Montalban's accent.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I don't have a problem with individuals choosing the genes for their children. The problem is when some other person (the government) forces you to choose certain genes, because it is a violation of your freedom. Government-regulated eugenics is less condemned than you think. Anti-incest laws are a variety of eugenics. To the person who talked about stupid people overwhelming the earth: stupid people are easy to manipulate and control. They are not a serious threat to those who take advantage of that.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Set aside the ethical argument. Natural selection does the job of selected which genetic material is worth carrying on. No need for humans to start F'ing that up
MrMr-x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrMr-x2
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts
Set aside the ethical argument. Natural selection does the job of selected which genetic material is worth carrying on. No need for humans to start F'ing that up Diablo-B
Genetically perfected offspring should be encouraged, not required. After a couple of hundred years this will breed out any physically inferior persons such as you or I.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

go watch the film "Gattaca"

now imagine that society...only genocidal, and 1000x worse

MrMr-x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrMr-x2
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts

mrbojangles25
I would love to live in that world. Beats the one we have now.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
How do we determine what's good and what's bad? Who has the right to do that? What if a perfect gene becomes bad or is actually bad but we think it's good? Those are just some of the questions to ask which I don't think we know the answer to or will know.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer
How do we determine what's good and what's bad? Who has the right to do that? What if a perfect gene becomes bad or is actually bad but we think it's good? Those are just some of the questions to ask which I don't think we know the answer to or will know.michaelP4
Yeah, I already talked about this. There's no such thing as "genetically perfect", what's good in one situation is often beneficial in a different one. That's why you want a genetically diverse population. In the event of some kind of catastrophe, that increases the odds of there being some small segment of the population who's got a chance of surviving.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Screw eugenics I want human cyborg augmentation damnit!
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

MrMr-x2

you would love to live in a world where people are discriminated against from birth, because of their natural attributes and defects.

Gee, would you also like to return to 1940's values, where blacks have hardly any rights, Japanese are interred because we are at war, and women are viewed more as tools than human beings?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="MrMr-x2"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

you would love to live in a world where people are discriminated against from birth, because of their natural attributes and defects.

Gee, would you also like to return to 1940's values, where blacks have hardly any rights, Japanese are interred because we are at war, and women are viewed more as tools than human beings?

There's a difference between rational and irrational discrimination. Some people are better suited for certain things than others.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I am going to make some popcorn and read this thread.

it is almost as much fun as reading the people on Hufffington Post argue over politics

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="MrMr-x2"] I would love to live in that world. Beats the one we have now.Laihendi

There's a difference between rational and irrational discrimination. Some people are better suited for certain things than others.

but opportunity should exist for all.

If someone who does not have the genetic gifts another has, yet can become their equal through hard work, the same opportunity should exist for them.

In the Gattaca world, these opportunities do not exist; youre screened at birth, your potential and existing defects identified, and your life essentially determined for you.

That was the entire point of the movie: the genetically inferior brother beat the supposed-superior brother; the "untouchable" genetic failure outcast was able to complete astronaut training and go to space, despite society thinking he would be unable to.

This is one of the problems with eugenics; the belief that genetics is the sole factor in superiority. This isn't a soccer game where the only way to score is with a goal. This is poker, and there are many many many ways to score and beat your opponent.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Screw eugenics I want human cyborg augmentation damnit!sSubZerOo
Damn, that'd be cool.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer
In all fairness, Gattaca is a bad example. Ethan Hawke's character wasn't just "genetically inferior", he was trying to become navigator on an interplanetary spaceship, and he had a heart condition which could have killed him at any time. Generally speaking I'm all for "equal opportunities", but the movie sort of messed up in that regard. You're damn right Ethan Hawke had no businesses being allowed on a spaceship.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Some of the people posting in this thread...wow...they're either trolls or very, very stupid and immoral.
Avatar image for HomicidalCherry
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HomicidalCherry
Member since 2009 • 959 Posts

Because genetic diversity is biologically important. Because the moral implications of the government telling huge swaths of people that they are unfit to reproduce is horrifying. Because we have no metric to properly measure which genetic traits are better and which are worse (it's obvious in some cases, it is not at ALL in others). And probably most importantly, because I believe it's an indelible part of the human condition to have to understand and come to terms with who you are. Everyone in the world has to look in the mirror at some point in their lives and see something that falls short of the ideal. And accepting this and continuing to like ourselves for what we are instead of what we are not helps us grow in a way that genetic engineering never will. If you start engineering every genetic trait, you take the humanity out of humans.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts

Because of association with the Nazis, mainly. Which is unfortunate, because it's a pretty good idea which doesn't necessarily require any kind of coercion

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

but opportunity should exist for all.

If someone who does not have the genetic gifts another has, yet can become their equal through hard work, the same opportunity should exist for them.

In the Gattaca world, these opportunities do not exist; youre screened at birth, your potential and existing defects identified, and your life essentially determined for you.

That was the entire point of the movie: the genetically inferior brother beat the supposed-superior brother; the "untouchable" genetic failure outcast was able to complete astronaut training and go to space, despite society thinking he would be unable to.

This is one of the problems with eugenics; the belief that genetics is the sole factor in superiority. This isn't a soccer game where the only way to score is with a goal. This is poker, and there are many many many ways to score and beat your opponent.

They knew his pre-existing medical conditions. Conditions that would/could put their space mission at risk. He cheated, by using his brother's urine and such, and tricked everyone into thinking he was someone who wasn't sick. In reality, you wouldn't want to spend $4 million to train an interplanetary navigator, only to find out his heart's going to explode when he hits space. Terrible example, eugenics would've saved money and lives.
silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silly_pants

Because of association with the Nazis, mainly. Which is unfortunate, because it's a pretty good idea which doesn't necessarily require any kind of coercion

MannyDelgado
Yeah, godwin's law :(
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]

silly_pants

Yeah, godwin's law :(

In this case it's perfectly valid to bring up the Nazis. You asked why eugenics are condemed. They're a large part of the reason why. Also it's just a bad idea in general.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#34 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Nazi Germany showed the world the worst case scenario which can result from eugenistic culture.
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Nazi Germany showed the world the worst case scenario which can result from eugenistic culture.BranKetra

Social Darwinism, World War 3 and maybe even another Genocide is what could potentially result from an increasingly Eugenistic society.

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts

We already tried eugenics... We failed horribly. Just like communism it is just a cool idea made impossible because of human nature.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 worlock77

We already tried eugenics... We failed horribly. Just like communism it is just a cool idea made impossible because of human nature.

Oscar-Wilde

Not really sure what's cool about telling another person that they're "unworthy of life".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Screw eugenics I want human cyborg augmentation damnit!sSubZerOo
FVCKING THIS ^

I want to be like Adam Jensen. :(

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MannyDelgado

[QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"]

worlock77

Not really sure what's cool about telling another person that they're "unworthy of life".

lol perhaps you should expand your understanding of the subject beyond 'HURR NAZIS' before embarrassing yourself
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Because it would undoubtedly end up with basic human rights being violated or worse.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"]

MannyDelgado

lol perhaps you should expand your understanding of the subject beyond 'HURR NAZIS' before embarrassing yourself

I understand the subject plenty, and it wasn't just Nazis who thought nor practiced that. Granted here in the United States we didn't flat out kill people, but we imprisoned and sterilized them against their will nonetheless.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I have a pretty open mind towards eugenics.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MannyDelgado

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

I understand the subject plenty, and it wasn't just Nazis who thought nor practiced that. Granted here in the United States we didn't flat out kill people, but we imprisoned and sterilized them against their will nonetheless.

Really? Because the last time I argued with you about it, you thought its purpose was to 'preserve racial purity' Lulz were had, I assure you
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]lol perhaps you should expand your understanding of the subject beyond 'HURR NAZIS' before embarrassing yourselfMannyDelgado

Really? Because the last time I argued with you about it, you thought its purpose was to 'preserve racial purity' Lulz were had, I assure you

Call it whatever you wish, but the purpose is to snuff out undesirable traits in a population.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#46 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

This is an obvious troll thread, but I'll bite.

Eugenics is a nazi mentality, period. There are no such things as "better" humans, it is illogical. There are is no such thing as "better" genes either. The reason why humans survive is because of genitic diversity, this is why there are so many different shapes and sizes of people etc...it keeps us alive. If there was only one or a few types, we would die off the moment a new disease broke out or a shift in the climate.

Also eugenics goes against freedom and is morally wrong. It is a disgusting idea and it has no place in the world. My people have seen eugenics first hand, take it from us, nothing good comes from it. People that support eugenics can go to hell for all I care. No better than the Nazis.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Screw eugenics I want human cyborg augmentation damnit!Aljosa23

FVCKING THIS ^

I want to be like Adam Jensen. :(

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MannyDelgado

There are is no such thing as "better" genes either.

ShadowMoses900

So genes which don't, for example, predispose you to debilitating mental or physical disorders are no better than genes which do?

Lol ok

My people have seen eugenics first hand, take it from us, nothing good comes from it.

ShadowMoses900

I knew that card was going to get played - predictable as always.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

This is an obvious troll thread, but I'll bite.

Eugenics is a nazi mentality, period. There are no such things as "better" humans, it is illogical. There are is no such thing as "better" genes either. The reason why humans survive is because of genitic diversity, this is why there are so many different shapes and sizes of people etc...it keeps us alive. If there was only one or a few types, we would die off the moment a new disease broke out or a shift in the climate.

Also eugenics goes against freedom and is morally wrong. It is a disgusting idea and it has no place in the world. My people have seen eugenics first hand, take it from us, nothing good comes from it. People that support eugenics can go to hell for all I care. No better than the Nazis.

ShadowMoses900

So if doctors will able to eliminate crippling hereditary from the entire human species would be no better then the Nazis?

Ever heard of a knee jerk reation?

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
Set aside the ethical argument. Natural selection does the job of selected which genetic material is worth carrying on. No need for humans to start F'ing that up Diablo-B