Who Won The War Of 1812???

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LastCaveMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LastCaveMan
Member since 2010 • 300 Posts

americans like to think they won, the candians like to think they won, and the brits were only interested in napoleon. but who won?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Technically a tie, but really, we burned your White House.
fluffers623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 fluffers623
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts
both the british and the us had their fare share of wins and defeats throughout the various battles, but in the end the americans were able to defeat the british (i think that is how we finally kicked the british out of north america?)
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
The Treaty of Ghent says hi.
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

Tough call, the war didn't really change too much so I gave it a tie, but some big wins were scored for both sides.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Tchaikovsky. That's about it.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Treaty of Ghent essentially puts relations with the US/Britain back to relations before the war so technically no party won, unless you look at statistics or the number of major battles won, or key events.
Dion2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dion2k7
Member since 2007 • 1353 Posts
not really sure maybe they should have roshambo'd for the win or played a game of rock paper scissors.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng

Tchaikovsky. That's about it.

Verge_6
oh yeah, this. forgot who said it though.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
both the british and the us had their fare share of wins and defeats throughout the various battles, but in the end the americans were able to defeat the british (i think that is how we finally kicked the british out of north america?)fluffers623
um... no. British didn't do anything, technically. USA just got mad at Britain for some weird reason and decided to backstab them while they were fighting Napoleon in Europe. In the end Britain rarely cared about the war and was happy to re-establish peaceful relations with USA. And no, British didn't leave North America, and no, USA didn't "free" Canada from British "oppressors". British just left Canada on its own because it was becoming too much of a burden to keep it as colony. Is this really what Americans learn about War of 1812??
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I haven't studied much about the war of 1812 besides what I learned in grade 10 but from what I understand the U.S wanted to gain ground into Canada and it was a goal that they ultimately lost. If the U.S invaded Russia and Russia pushed them back, how would it signify a U.S victory?

The obvious answer is it wouldn't. I'm pretty sure most people look at the war as a British/Canadian victory excluding some of the general population in the U.S. It's a undeniable fact that the U.S did win many battles during the war but the battles are pretty useless if they lost the ground they conquered in the end.

They were pushed back and that's why the British and most Canadians look at the war as a victory and not a tie or a loss. The military goal was to keep the U.S out of Canada and it was accomplished.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

um... no. British didn't do anything, technically. USA just got mad at Britain for some weird reason...funsohng

One of those "weird" reasons: British warships were intercepting and boarding U.S. merchant ships, and forcing U.S. sailors to join the Royal Navy.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

We did. :evil:

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Technically a tie, but really, we burned your White House.funsohng

We burned Toronto.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I haven't studied much about the war of 1812 besides what I learned in grade 10 but from what I understand the U.S wanted to gain ground into Canada and it was a goal that they ultimately lost. If the U.S invaded Russia and Russia pushed them back, how would it signify a U.S victory?

The obvious answer is it wouldn't. I'm pretty sure most people look at the war as a British/Canadian victory excluding some of the general population in the U.S. It's a undeniable fact that the U.S did win many battles during the war but the battles are pretty useless if they lost the ground they conquered in the end.

They were pushed back and that's why the British and most Canadians look at the war as a victory and not a tie or a loss. The military goal was to keep the U.S out of Canada and it was accomplished.

XileLord

Other reasons include UK hijacking of American merchant vessels, suppling Indians who were at war with the USA. I believe the UK stopped these after the war, so its a tie as far as I'm concerned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...Bourbons3
Russia vs Napoleon. Who won that?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Well, no concessions were made in the treaty, but they torched D.C.

gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts

native americans lost and the british won. britain completed its goal of defending canada and in europe of defeating france. they got european peace for 100 years and became pretty much the worlds only superpower until ww1. also remember that britain had its best officers and regiments fighting in spain and portugal for most of the war. i think americans see it as them defending themselves from another british takeover, but in reality the british were terrified of france at the time and weren't interested in america, they signed the peace treaty as quickly as they could.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...sherman-tank1

Russia vs Napoleon. Who won that?

Or when Britain lost WWII when London got bombed. :P The US accomplished some of its goals, including ending impressment, but suffered some humiliating defeats. I don't think either side was overly enthusiastic about the outcome.
Vennligsinnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vennligsinnet
Member since 2010 • 529 Posts
I'm an American and in our history classes in public school they taught us that although there was no technical winner, that Britain essentially won the war.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 scorch-62
It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...Bourbons3
What did Germany do to London in WW2 again? And who lost that war?
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

[QUOTE="XileLord"]

sherman-tank1

Other reasons include UK hijacking of American merchant vessels, suppling Indians who were at war with the USA. I believe the UK stopped these after the war, so its a tie as far as I'm concerned.

I know that Britain was doing a lot of unfair and stupid things to the U.S at the time but the Invasion into Canada was a complete and utter failure and that's the reason why it was a Canadian/British Military victory in the end. That doesn't mean the U.S didn't gain ground in the political field and as a overall nation because it gave a message that they refused to be treated like crap.

As far as the actual fighting it was definitely a U.S loss because they failed to accomplish there objectives while the British/Canadians succeeded at there's. If you're talking about the overall war and it's effects in the long run then the only people who truly lost anything were the Indians.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...scorch-62

And what do you think happened to Berlin? There wasn't much left by the time the Russians got there. :P
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Well the US president said taking Canada would be as easy as marching so I guess the Canadians won (the redcoats weren't really invloved)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...Bourbons3

And what do you think happened to Berlin? There wasn't much left by the time the Russians got there. :P

It doesn't matter what happened to Berlin, this is strictly London.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scorch-62
[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It doesn't really count as a victory when your capital city gets burnt to the ground...Bourbons3

If victory went to who took/destroyed the most capitals (your apparent views of victory and loss), Germany alone would have won WW2 by seizing Paris (among the other capitals they took) and razing London. The United States firebombed Tokyo and the Russians pimp-slapped Berlin. So in other words, your terms of victory and loss are flawed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Well the US president said taking Canada would be as easy as marching so I guess the Canadians won (the redcoats weren't really involved)

LaytonsCat

You're kidding. The Invasion of Canada was not the only thing in the war. How did Canadians get to Washington D.C. and New Orleans?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]um... no. British didn't do anything, technically. USA just got mad at Britain for some weird reason...Oleg_Huzwog

One of those "weird" reasons: British warships were intercepting and boarding U.S. merchant ships, and forcing U.S. sailors to join the Royal Navy.

yeah nvm, I forgot about that. I think there was trade sanctions too.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

By pretty much every reasonable metric, no one won. The treaty resulting from the war quite literally said, "Yeah, remember how things were before the war? Let's go back to that kthx."

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Technically a tie, but really, we burned your White House.Silverbond

We burned Toronto.

yeah but Toronto in 1812 (which was called York, then) had nothing there. Just like it is now. Ka-zing!
Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

I thought the indians and france won

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fidosim
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="Silverbond"]

We burned Toronto.

yeah but Toronto in 1812 (which was called York, then) had nothing there. Just like it is now. Ka-zing!

There wasn't a whole lot in DC either. Basically the executive mansion surrounded by swampland. :P
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Nobody.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

We burned Toronto.

fidosim

There wasn't a whole lot in DC either. Basically the executive mansion surrounded by swampland. :P

Well there was this thing called the White House, you might have heard of it... :P

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

[QUOTE="Silverbond"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Technically a tie, but really, we burned your White House.funsohng

We burned Toronto.

yeah but Toronto in 1812 (which was called York, then) had nothing there.

Just like it is now. Ka-zing!

But I love Toronto! :o

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fidosim

[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="funsohng"] yeah but Toronto in 1812 (which was called York, then) had nothing there. Just like it is now. Ka-zing!GabuEx

Well there was this thing called the White House, you might have heard of it... :P

Which was called the executive mansion back then...en garde! :P
gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts

Well the US president said taking Canada would be as easy as marching so I guess the Canadians won (the redcoats weren't really invloved)

LaytonsCat

what?first of all they didn't actually call themselves canadians back then, canada didnt exist. there was around 10,000 british regulars, officers and marines in british north america at the time. british officers didn't trust militia. battles like queenston heights were won by british regiments

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 funsohng

We burned Toronto.

Silverbond

yeah but Toronto in 1812 (which was called York, then) had nothing there.

Just like it is now. Ka-zing!

But I love Toronto! :o

try actually living there hate the weather.
SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

I'm an American and in our history classes in public school they taught us that although there was no technical winner, that Britain essentially won the war.Vennligsinnet

This while it ended up in pretty much as others have said " Lets just go back to being pals" was the ultimate outcome, the British essentially won. We most certainly did pull off some good wins against them, including doing that little hold out that got us our national anthem. Were just lucky the British didn't even care about US and didn't want to fight, the only reason fought them was cause the genius in office at the time thought it was a good idea to declare war on the British.

Granted, they were doing a number on our merchant shipping, though can't really blame them since that shipping was aiding the enemy they had been fighting against for about a decade in the first war of its kind ( War against Napoleon is cited as being the first " World War" Since justa bout all the world powers were involved in it")

But yeah, was technically a stalemate, though for the debate of " who did better" I say its easily the British. Though not exactly hard for it to turn out that way.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Didn't the British whoop America's ass? History class was a long time ago and I don't remember.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Canada.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Didn't the British whoop America's ass? History class was a long time ago and I don't remember.wstfld
No, neither side made much gains. The British won some and the Americans won some.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
How could you? :cry: USA! USA! USA! :P JK Its actually a tie
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
It was just a diversion for Britain to fight Napoleon. The US got involved because they had commerce ties to France, even though there was no other practical interest for it.
IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts
Tie I think.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Wikipedia says more Americans died,
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Well, The British didn't take over America so i consider that a win for the United States.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 funsohng
Well, The British didn't take over America so i consider that a win for the United States.SF_KiLLaMaN
.... when it was USA who invaded Canada?
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Technically a tie, but really, we burned your White House.Silverbond

We burned Toronto.

Technically, it wasn't even Toronto back then. It was a town called York.