What religion do you associate yourself with?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

do we really need one of these everyday?

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#102 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Base god....?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="paratheos"]The modifier "I believe" serves to highlight the subjective nature of the statement.-Sun_Tzu-
No it doesn't. Prefacing a sentence with "I believe" doesn't make it any more subjective than it would otherwise be. Belief in a claim is already implied the moment the claim is made.

You don't see the difference and won't so I don't see why they are wasting their time with it....
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No they aren't. Saying God exists does not exist is not the same as saying I believe God exists/does not exist. Seriously dude....:|Austindro

If you say that God does/doesn't exist, it's already implied that you believe it. Prefacing that statement with "I believe" is redundant and doesn't change the meaning of the sentence one iota.

If you say that then you are implying as if it is a fact. If you say I believe then has more to do with faith. No one says I believe 2+2=4, they just say 2+2=4.

Of course you are implying it as if it is a fact. You're also implying it to be a fact if you preface with "I believe." You wouldn't believe that God does/doesn't exist if you didn't think that position were true in the first place.
paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 paratheos
Member since 2012 • 339 Posts
[QUOTE="paratheos"]The modifier "I believe" serves to highlight the subjective nature of the statement.-Sun_Tzu-
No it doesn't. Prefacing a sentence with "I believe" doesn't make it any more subjective than it would otherwise be. Belief in a claim is already implied the moment the claim is made.

You clearly have no understanding of linguistics or any form of verbal reasoning.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#106 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
do we really need one of these everyday?dontshackzmii
Some people enjoy talking about their days. Some enjoy discussing the news. Others enjoy posting pictures of themselves and swooning over any girl that enters the thread. Others enjoy discussing religion and it's nuances within society and contrasting their views with those of others. Don't enjoy it? Ignore it.
Austindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Austindro
Member since 2011 • 856 Posts

[QUOTE="Austindro"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] If you say that God does/doesn't exist, it's already implied that you believe it. Prefacing that statement with "I believe" is redundant and doesn't change the meaning of the sentence one iota.

-Sun_Tzu-

If you say that then you are implying as if it is a fact. If you say I believe then has more to do with faith. No one says I believe 2+2=4, they just say 2+2=4.

Of course you are implying it as if it is a fact. You're also implying it to be a fact if you preface with "I believe." You wouldn't believe that God does/doesn't exist if you didn't think that position were true in the first place.

This dumbass...

DarthTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 DarthTuna
Member since 2011 • 707 Posts

not many jewish people on gamespot eh

Snyper007-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Snyper007-2
Member since 2011 • 418 Posts

The only God I worship is Talos.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

DarthTuna
Not many Jewish people period.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I love you.wis3boi
Easy there, sailor. You haven't even bought me dinner yet.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Accept as a premise for the sake of argument that something is 75% likely to occur. Due to the fact that event is probably going to occur, one can state that they believe that event is going to happen. This is different than directly stating that the event IS going to happen, as the statement presumes more certainty.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="paratheos"]The modifier "I believe" serves to highlight the subjective nature of the statement.paratheos

You clearly have no understanding of linguistics or any form of verbal reasoning.

Obviously. Sun makes no sense half the time he posts.
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
Im a Sikh, and I believe most atheists are Christians, I won't abandon my religion because it actually means something now, america destroyed christianity
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

The only God I worship is Talos.

Snyper007-2
But but, that's been outlawed!
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No longer a Muslim then?blaze_adeel

Yeah. I tried to defend the religion, but the more I studied it, the worse it appeared to me.

:|

On topic : I am a Muslim.

lol sorry dude =S
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 wii60_3
While there are more atheists than ever before, polls show that atheism's percentages seem to be declining. This may be because birth rates in religious societies are much higher
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#118 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] No one said anything about magic prior to your post.

alexside1

So religion doesn't run on magic?

Evidence for God has always been grounded on magical phenomena that cannot be explained through logic and scientific reasoning. In fact, the only convincing trait to others that Jesus was the son of God was his magical abilities. Because he did things that no ordinary Human can achieve through science, he was considered a god. I believe that every single aspect of existence runs on a logical process. There are no Gods, just people with better science than others.

Do religious people consider supernatural phenomena to be "magic"? Ask yourself that. Otherwise your attacking a straw-man.

And I'm not going to address the rest of your post, because it's strikes me as a side-rant.

Then what is magic?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 -Sun_Tzu-

Accept as a premise for the sake of argument that something is 75% likely to occur. Due to the fact that event is probably going to occur, one can state that they believe that event is going to happen. This is different than directly stating that the event IS going to happen, as the statement presumes more certainty.

coolbeans90
But in both cases you'd believe that the event is going to happen. Sure, one can have varying degrees of certainty, but the aforementioned preface doesn't do anything to denote that degree. It really is just stating the obvious.
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 wii60_3

[QUOTE="DarthTuna"]

Inconsistancy

Not many Jewish people period.

Yeah besides the one Jewish country and a few american refugees that are being assimilated, world war 2 killed thier religion, and its really stupid that people hate on them should have put hindu in the poll because jewish is not really a big religion at all

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 coolbeans90

But in both cases you'd believe that the event is going to happen. Sure, one can have varying degrees of certainty, but the aforementioned preface doesn't do anything to denote that degree. It really is just stating the obvious. -Sun_Tzu-

Yes, in both cases there is at the very least implied belief. However, in only one case is there an overt statement of probabilistic confidence. Likewise, the statements are not necessarily the same.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#122 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

It's all the same sh!t:

mag·ic [maj-ik]

The art of producing a desired effect or result through theuse of incantation or various
other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.

su·per·nat·u·ral [soo-per-nach-er-uhl, -nach-ruhl]

Of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural;unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.

mir·a·cle [mir-uh-kuhl]

An effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]But in both cases you'd believe that the event is going to happen. Sure, one can have varying degrees of certainty, but the aforementioned preface doesn't do anything to denote that degree. It really is just stating the obvious. coolbeans90

Yes, in both cases there is at the very least implied belief. However, in only one case is there an overt statement of probabilistic confidence. Likewise, the statements are not necessarily the same.

But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]do we really need one of these everyday?foxhound_fox
Some people enjoy talking about their days. Some enjoy discussing the news. Others enjoy posting pictures of themselves and swooning over any girl that enters the thread. Others enjoy discussing religion and it's nuances within society and contrasting their views with those of others. Don't enjoy it? Ignore it.

its not that i dont enjoy it its that i see these threads all the time.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 coolbeans90

But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made. -Sun_Tzu-

"I believe" adds a potential degree of uncertainty to the statement itself. (implied, but similar to "maybe")

paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 paratheos
[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]But in both cases you'd believe that the event is going to happen. Sure, one can have varying degrees of certainty, but the aforementioned preface doesn't do anything to denote that degree. It really is just stating the obvious. -Sun_Tzu-

But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made.

Did you fall on your head when you were an infant?
paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 paratheos

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made. coolbeans90

"I believe" adds a potential degree of uncertainty to the statement itself. (implied, but similar to "maybe")

I think this is the part of the argument where you just have to insult the other poster.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]But in both cases you'd believe that the event is going to happen. Sure, one can have varying degrees of certainty, but the aforementioned preface doesn't do anything to denote that degree. It really is just stating the obvious. -Sun_Tzu-

Look at it this way....let's say I have specs on both our cars and say my car can beat yours in a race. That is something factual because I've studied the specifications of both cars. Now....conversely I haven't studied the specs but I believe my car is better than yours....so I say I believe my car will beat yours in a race. See the difference?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made. coolbeans90

"I believe" adds a potential degree of uncertainty to the statement itself.

People tend to use it to connote that, but it never changes the actual meaning of a sentence.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 coolbeans90

People tend to use it to connote that, but it never changes the actual meaning of a sentence. -Sun_Tzu-

I expect more than this from you, Sun.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

Catholicism. I believe in the teachings of Cathol and all that he stood for.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#132 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Christianity because I think it's the one religion you can do part time.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 LJS9502_basic

ShuLordLiuPei
Ha ha. What's that Latin Bible again? You need a head slap with it.....
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

LJS9502_basic

Look at it this way....let's say I have specs on both our cars and say my car can beat yours in a race. That is something factual because I've studied the specifications of both cars. Now....conversely I haven't studied the specs but I believe my car is better than yours....so I say I believe my car will beat yours in a race. See the difference?

Yes, in the first statement you are saying that it is possible for your car to beat mine and in the second statement you are saying that your car will beat mine.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#135 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made. -Sun_Tzu-

People tend to use it to connote that, but it never changes the actual meaning of a sentence.

That makes no sense.
paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 paratheos

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] But in both your example and alexside's post the two statements were the same. You could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. I believe you could take any claim imaginable and add "I believe" to it and that claim will never change. It doesn't qualify anything (unlike could, maybe, possibly, ect), it just clarifies that one believes the claim that they them self just made. -Sun_Tzu-

Yes, in the first statement you are saying that it is possible for your car to beat mine and in the second statement you are saying that your car will beat mine.

:lol: you're still not getting it.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

DroidPhysX

That makes no sense.

All it is is the difference between connotation and denotation.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

LJS9502_basic

Vulgate. Wool-got-uh. Get it right, LJ!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

ShuLordLiuPei

Vulgate. Wool-got-uh. Get it right, LJ!

You aren't pronouncing it like it looks.:x
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#141 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Grouchism

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
None. I was a baptist at one point.
SmokeyArcanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 SmokeyArcanine
Member since 2012 • 34 Posts
I'd say anywhere between flying spaghetti monster and no religion.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#144 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i don't believe in fairy tails. LET alone someone attempt to control my opinion
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="alexside1"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] *post*

Inconsistancy

Your post doesn't refute anything I said. All you did is saying "Prove this, prove that", when I haven't say anything about them.

Saying "God does/doesn't exist" is a statement that requires evidence.

Saying "I believe that god does/doesn't exist." isn't a statement.

That and the fact that you keep making false analogy.

*post*

You didn't address nor refute anything I said and instead keep making red-herrings.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

Christian.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
None, I'm an atheist.
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Tyr

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
Lol religion. God genocides the whole Earth and is loved. Hitler merely wanted to exterminate the jews and is hated.