What religion do you associate yourself with?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

None.

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Troll harder.Inconsistancy

Why?

It's not 'trolling' it's true, you can't just raise the dead, and perform 'miracles', those silly events are magic...

I'll be perfectly frank, religious documents are just creative writing exercises, hypothetical fiction, not so much different form Harry Potter, except that it seems their construction is designed to be believed in. A false documentary.

I know having said that I'll offend some people, but I'm sorry it's the truth.

Claiming it's false requires evidence just as claiming that it's true. I'm certain that you don't have any, and just believe it's false, am I right? So don't going around preaching like you know the "truth" when you don't have any.
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ColdExistence
Member since 2011 • 974 Posts

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] Cause it's piss poor.

alexside1

Well, the problem isn't my trolling. The problem is you assuming that I am trolling, which would inevitably make it seem like a poor troll attempt.

I do not "assume" I know, because I know you.

Wow. That's awesome. I have no idea who you are, but you know who I am... *gasp* does that mean you are a stalker!?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
There are things from most religions I can associate with. Some more than others, but they all seem to carry a common element that strikes a chord for me. Usually it involves the elimination of the ego or sense of "I" opening a door to a state of consciousness that is most unlike that of the ego-centric mind. A detached sense of self that observes the events occurring in front of oneself, but due to the lack of attachment to the flow of cause to effect, it is pure enjoyment of the moment as it occurs. It inspires a feeling of peace and desire to give compassionately to everyone. For all intents and purposes (despite my hatred of labels) I would be best described as an impersonal monist with a great interest in Buddhist philosophy and Hindu philosophy/mythology. Though, I would definitely ascribe to the Hindu ideal that all paths, including the non-religious and non-theistic, followed correctly will lead to the same goal, so long as the attachment to "self" is eliminated.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="ColdExistence"] Well, the problem isn't my trolling. The problem is you assuming that I am trolling, which would inevitably make it seem like a poor troll attempt.

ColdExistence

I do not "assume" I know, because I know you.

Wow. That's awesome. I have no idea who you are, but you know who I am... *gasp* does that mean you are a stalker!?

Anyone can read your post on this forum. No need for stalking.
ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ColdExistence
[QUOTE="ColdExistence"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] I do not "assume" I know, because I know you.alexside1

Well, you can't know me from a couple of posts. I mean, this must have been an extensive research project for you.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="ColdExistence"] Wow. That's awesome. I have no idea who you are, but you know who I am... *gasp* does that mean you are a stalker!?

ColdExistence

Well, you can't know me from a couple of posts. I mean, this must have been an extensive research project for you.

It's not hard to notice users here.:|

ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ColdExistence

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Anyone can read your post on this forum. No need for stalking.LJS9502_basic

It's not hard to notice users here.:|

:| oh

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

I don't believe in magic.

Blue-Sky

No one said anything about magic prior to your post.

So religion doesn't run on magic?

Do religious people consider supernatural phenomena to be "magic"? Ask yourself that. Otherwise your attacking a straw-man.

And I'm not going to address the rest of your post, because it's strikes me as a side-rant.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] No one said anything about magic prior to your post.

alexside1

So religion doesn't run on magic?

Do religious people consider supernatural phenomena to be "magic"? Ask yourself that. Otherwise your attacking a straw-man.

And I'm not going to address the rest of your post, because it's strikes me as a side-rant.

Save your sanity and don't pay attention to the close minded....
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
If my signature is not a giveaway I suppose I must note that I am a Christian. I am indeed one of those who believe God the Son took upon the nature of man, lived a perfect life, died the death that I deserve, defeated death by rising from the grave, and will one day come again to reconcile this fallen creation with God the Father. I believe in the greatest of redemption stories: this fallen world will be remade new.
DarthTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DarthTuna
Member since 2011 • 707 Posts

one does not simply argue religion on the internet without geting mad

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

If i could sum myself up as a religion, it'd be Judaism.

Total loser and quite peculiar.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
For the Abrahamic God, I am an atheist. For other possible gods, I am agnostic.
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

Nature based spirituality.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic
For the Abrahamic God, I am an atheist. For other possible gods, I am agnostic. ghoklebutter
No longer a Muslim then?
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]None.

[QUOTE="ColdExistence"]Why? alexside1

It's not 'trolling' it's true, you can't just raise the dead, and perform 'miracles', those silly events are magic...

I'll be perfectly frank, religious documents are just creative writing exercises, hypothetical fiction, not so much different form Harry Potter, except that it seems their construction is designed to be believed in. A false documentary.

I know having said that I'll offend some people, but I'm sorry it's the truth.

Claiming it's false requires evidence just as claiming that it's true. I'm certain that you don't have any, and just believe it's false, am I right? So don't going around preaching like you know the "truth" when you don't have any.

If there were evidence, then it'd be true, but there is no evidence of it being true. There's no evidence of the Earth being the center of the SOLAR system, I don't think I have to provide evidence to prove that wrong...

Find me proof that Jesus was resurrected, that Noah was able to build a ship large enough to carry 2 of each animal (and why?, some are asexual and don't require a mate...) and that you could actually get 2 of every animal onto a single ship, keep them alive, feed them... This isn't possible with MODERN technology, let alone technology that existed before MODERN science.

Find me proof of creation, show me that there isn't an evolutionary tree, with a common ancestor. Show me that all the animals had a population, at one point, of two.

Prove to me that the Earth is less than 4.6 Billion years old.

Oh, and while you're at that, find proof of that 'biblical' (pun :D) flood.

Just as you can't find any proof of Earth being at the center of the universe, you can't find any proof of the 'miracles' of scripture.

If there is a God, there is no evidence of any direct influence, at very most this 'God' defined the laws of physics, set off the big bang, and took a nap, that's it.

And if there were Any evidence of the validity of scripture (miracles), I'd be willing to listen, and I'm sure the scientific community would be willing acknowledge it as well.

---

By your same logic, there is no proof that the Lord of the Rings isn't true, so it must be true. I cannot find any evidence on Earth that in Another Universe, some guy named Gandolf can perform magic 'n such, it's a different universe, maybe the laws of physics in that universe are fine with that... maybe LotR was a documentary, not a mere book of fiction.

Prove me wrong about LotR being a documentary.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 foxhound_fox
*post*Inconsistancy
You are making the affirmative claim that it isn't true. The burden of proof lies with you. Unless you cede to the fact that it is impossible to "know" and verify it objectively either way.
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Other.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]For the Abrahamic God, I am an atheist. For other possible gods, I am agnostic. LJS9502_basic
No longer a Muslim then?

Yeah. I tried to defend the religion, but the more I studied it, the worse it appeared to me.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]For the Abrahamic God, I am an atheist. For other possible gods, I am agnostic. ghoklebutter
No longer a Muslim then?

Yeah. I tried to defend the religion, but the more I studied it, the worse it appeared to me.

Ah well. What matters is that you are a good person....
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]*post*foxhound_fox
You are making the affirmative claim that it isn't true. The burden of proof lies with you. Unless you cede to the fact that it is impossible to "know" and verify it objectively either way.

It's absurd, you can't prove anything when you put it into certain context. I could say: "The Moon is made of cheese, and flat" and then follow a bs technicality, that nothing can be truly proven, and then you'd have to agree with me.

I mean, maybe it is? Who's to say we, mere mortals, know what cheese is, what spherical is... If God says it's cheesy and flat, it Is true.

I'm saying, with No evidence, why believe something, why belive it to be fact, why defend it?

It's like the 'theory' of evolution, daft people think the word theory has only 1 meaning, that it's just a hypothisis. In this case, of course, it means it's basically a fact. There are people(imbeciles) who think it's 'just a theory', even with all the evidence that has been seen, they say "it's just a theory". Yet with No evidence of something those same people say "It's a fact, I have faith" (faith is just plugging your ears and saying "la la la la, I can't hear you.")

---

The highest certainty you can have in anything is only 99.999999999999... and so on %.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Was raised as a Christian, am atheist though.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]*post*Inconsistancy

It's absurd, you can't prove anything when you put it into certain context. I could say: "The Moon is made of cheese, and flat" and then follow a bs technicality, that nothing can be truly proven, and then you'd have to agree with me.

I mean, maybe it is? Who's to say we, mere mortals, know what cheese is, what spherical is... If God says it's cheesy and flat, it Is true.

I'm saying, with No evidence, why believe something, why belive it to be fact, why defend it?

It's like the 'theory' of evolution, daft people think the word theory has only 1 meaning, that it's just a hypothisis. In this case, of course, it means it's basically a fact. There are people(imbeciles) who think it's 'just a theory', even with all the evidence that has been seen, they say "it's just a theory". Yet with No evidence of something those same people say "It's a fact, I have faith" (faith is just plugging your ears and saying "la la la la, I can't hear you.")

If there is a god and heaven and hell and all that bullsh!t, i'm so going to laugh at you. :lol:

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] You are making the affirmative claim that it isn't true. The burden of proof lies with you. Unless you cede to the fact that it is impossible to "know" and verify it objectively either way.Ilovegames1992

If there is a god and heaven and hell and all that bullsh!t, i'm so going to laugh at you. :lol:

And if, assuming you're religious, you picked the wrong God to worship, and you go to hell with me, I'll laugh even harder at you. :D
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Deist
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 foxhound_fox
I'm saying, with No evidence, why believe something?Inconsistancy
Why are you limiting evidence to only that which is detected with the senses? Why not perceptions of the mind? Do we not have our own unique views about the universe that is colored by our experiences? How can you say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God does not exist? Which "God" are you asserting doesn't exist? We are all ultimately agnostic. No one can know for sure that God exists or not. Or that "we" even exist. What if "God" is the only thing that exists and is merely projecting itself into innumerable forms that we identify as separate, but are ultimately the same "thing?"
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

Inconsistancy

And if, assuming you're religious, you picked the wrong God to worship, and you go to hell with me, I'll laugh even harder at you. :D

I'm not. So i'm safe from all form of post death mockery.

Muwahahahahaha

I hope its someone like the Mormons or Buddhists who are right though. Would be nice.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 alexside1

*post*

Inconsistancy

Your post doesn't refute anything I said. All you did is saying "Prove this, prove that", when I haven't say anything about them.

Saying "God does/doesn't exist" is a statement that requires evidence.

Saying "I believe that god does/doesn't exist." isn't a statement.

That and the fact that you keep making false analogies.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I'm Muslim. I associate myself with other Muslims.

Not all of them, though, unfortunately...

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

alexside1

Both of those statements mean the exact same thing.

nicksonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81 nicksonman
Member since 2009 • 1221 Posts
None.
paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 paratheos
Member since 2012 • 339 Posts
I am a deist.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="alexside1"]

-Sun_Tzu-

No they don't.....
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"]

LJS9502_basic

No they don't.....

Yes they do.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I am a theist, and more specifically, I am a Roman Catholic.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Both of those statements mean the exact same thing.

-Sun_Tzu-

No they don't.....

Yes they do.

Not even close dude. One is making a factual statement....the other is a personal belief or faith.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No they don't.....LJS9502_basic

Yes they do.

Not even close dude. One is making a factual statement....the other is a personal belief or faith.

They are both making factual statements and they are both personal beliefs. They are the exact same sentence.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ilovegames1992

How can you believe in a fact anyway?

I believe 1+1=2. Well no, it just does, no belief necessary.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Yes they do. -Sun_Tzu-

They are both making factual statements and they are both personal beliefs. They are the exact same sentence.

No they aren't. Saying God exists does not exist is not the same as saying I believe God exists/does not exist. Seriously dude....:|
paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 paratheos
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Yes they do. -Sun_Tzu-

They are both statements. One is an assertion that demands evidence, and one is a subjective belief.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="scorch-62"]I don't associate myself with any religion. I'm an atheist.scorch-62
You are a diehard southern evangelical baptist. Dont even try to hide it. lol

In the name of the pasta, the sauce, and the holy sausage. Ramen. midoinrite?

I love you.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Not even close dude. One is making a factual statement....the other is a personal belief or faith.

LJS9502_basic

No they aren't. Saying God exists does not exist is not the same as saying I believe God exists/does not exist. Seriously dude....:|

If you say that God does/doesn't exist, it's already implied that you believe it. Prefacing that statement with "I believe" is redundant and doesn't change the meaning of the sentence one iota.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] *post*

alexside1

Your post doesn't refute anything I said. All you did is saying "Prove this, prove that", when I haven't say anything about them.

That and the fact that you keep making false analogy.

Unicorns don't exist. Okay, let's be honest, it's likely that a horse like creature with a single horn on it's head has evolved somewhere in the universe...

Unicorns don't exist on Earth, my only proof is that I can't find any, that no one's ever found any, or observed the remnant of their existence, not that they don't exist as a definite statement, but that I've not seen them and the conclusion is that they're absurd and don't exist outside of children's books/movies/shows.

God doesn't exist, no one's seen it, or in any way observed it. Yet the conclusion is, it must exist, It's not absurd, unlike Unicorns, God is just so much more likely? So much so that I must prove the un-provable?

You can't prove that LotR isn't true, that Unicorns aren't real, that the Moon isn't made of cheese and is flat any more than I can prove there is no God. But due to the Sheer lack of evidence of any of this, I'm going to lean on the side of they don't exist.

Unicorns on Earth theory is .0000...1% true, God in existance theory is .0000...1% true. Moon is cheese and flat theory is .0000...1% true, Theory of Evolution is 99.9999...9% true.

.0000...1 =/= 0, 99.9999...9 =/= 100.

---

Evolution, it's so strongly supported, you're an idiot if you don't believe it to be true.. but let's assume 'intelligent design' is true, then God is intentionally deceiving you, perhaps with the intent of testing you faith, and set everything up 'just so' so that it would appear that science is right.

It seems odd to me, that a God would intend on deceiving someone/everyone by so much... that God would be so cruel to damn anyone to hell if they refused to be anything but logical. It would almost seem as though religion is to keep people ignorant/stupid and obedient.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] They are both making factual statements and they are both personal beliefs. They are the exact same sentence. -Sun_Tzu-

If you say that God does/doesn't exist, it's already implied that you believe it. Prefacing that statement with "I believe" is redundant and doesn't change the meaning of the sentence one iota.

Ah the nuances of the English language. Stating that something is or isn't is not a belief. Stating some is a belief is not a fact. And since it seems you don't see the difference in the two statements....it's pointless to belabor it. You won't get it anyway. Nonetheless, there are enough people here that DO understand the difference and so his point stands.
Austindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Austindro
Member since 2011 • 856 Posts

None

Off topic: Shaun White is a beast.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No they aren't. Saying God exists does not exist is not the same as saying I believe God exists/does not exist. Seriously dude....:|LJS9502_basic

Ah the nuances of the English language. Stating that something is or isn't is not a belief. Stating some is a belief is not a fact. And since it seems you don't see the difference in the two statements....it's pointless to belabor it. You won't get it anyway. Nonetheless, there are enough people here that DO understand the difference and so his point stands.

That's a false dichotomy. When you say something "is or isn't" you are simply stating your belief. Everything we claim is, by definition, a belief. It's a distinction without a difference.
paratheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 paratheos

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] They are both making factual statements and they are both personal beliefs. They are the exact same sentence. -Sun_Tzu-

The modifier "I believe" serves to highlight the subjective nature of the statement. You've never taken a logic or verbal reasoning course in your life, am I correct?
blaze_adeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#98 blaze_adeel
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]For the Abrahamic God, I am an atheist. For other possible gods, I am agnostic. ghoklebutter
No longer a Muslim then?

:|

On topic : I am a Muslim.

Austindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Austindro
Member since 2011 • 856 Posts

If you say that then you are implying it as if it is a fact. If you say I believe then has more to do with faith. No one says I believe 2+2=4, they just say 2+2=4.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 -Sun_Tzu-
The modifier "I believe" serves to highlight the subjective nature of the statement.paratheos
No it doesn't. Prefacing a sentence with "I believe" doesn't make it any more subjective than it would otherwise be. Belief in a claim is already implied the moment the claim is made.