What are you? Religious, Atheist, Undecide, or Other

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="chopperdave447"] 1. you should not need a religion to get into "heaven" or whatever you call it. all you should need to do is be a good personEd_Cetera
And what provides the universal standard for being 'good", if not religion?

Religion provides nothing 100% original.

All religioin does is take human opinions; it systematises them and "elevates" them in the realm of divine inspiration.

Even if there is a higher power, we have a huge part in the definition of "godd" in any religion.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"][QUOTE="chopperdave447"] 1. you should not need a religion to get into "heaven" or whatever you call it. all you should need to do is be a good personTeenaged

And what provides the universal standard for being 'good", if not religion?

All religioin does is take human opinions; it systematises them and "elevates" them in the realm of divine inspiration.

Even if there is a higher power, we have a huge part in the definition of "godd" in any religion.

I'm not sure that's the question that he was asking.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"] And what provides the universal standard for being 'good", if not religion? alexside1

I'm not sure that's the question that he is asking.

Yes thats his question.

he asked what provides with a universal standard for being "good".

Since I believe that religion is structured around already existant human perception, any standard for being "good" would be one made up by humans themselves. Not something exterior.

Not of course that the possibility of an exterior factor doesnt exist, but we ourselves as a species had a great role in the formation of those standards.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Religion provides nothing 100% original.

Teenaged

I'm not sure that's the question that he is asking.

Yes thats his question.

Since I believe that religion is structured around already existant human perception, any standard for being "good" would be one made up by humans themselves. Not something exterior.

Not of course that the possibility of an exterior factor doesnt exist, but we ourselves as a species had a great role in the formation of those standards.

So, what are you saying here is that the concept of "good" is man made. (Making sure that I am understanding what you are trying to say here.)
adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

i don't believe in any religions, but i have a feeling there's some higher power, but not necessarily 'god'...just something. my family is muslim though and i still follow the rules, because i've been following those rules my whole life and it wouldn't feel right to just stop following them.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] I'm not sure that's the question that he is asking. alexside1

Yes thats his question.

So, what are you saying here is that the concept of "good" is man made. (Making sure that I am understanding what you are trying to say here.)

Well without excluding the possibility of a deity, I am just saying that our contribution to the formation of the standards of what is good is huge. But even if a deity exists its also possible that we and only we have created those standards.

Of course one could misunderstand my use of the verbs "make up"/"create", so I'll clarify.

Even though those verbs do imply arbitrarity, I do not think that that arbitrarity is without limits. Our perception of good and evil stem from the world around us, so our "fabricated" standards although may vary they are still within the scope of the same "spectrum".

EDIT: /IMO

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#157 iginlawasup
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

Typical of Gamespot that 54% of users are atheist. :lol:

ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 ScorpionBeeBee
Member since 2009 • 394 Posts

I'm atheist towards any God that humans have ever concieved. As far as higher powers, well there could be advanced alien species out there that to us would be considered God-like, but as for omnipotent, omniscient, all powerful Gods as described by humanity, heck no. Just the idea that bronze age goat herders unraveled the mysteries of the universe via revelation is mind-boggling.

I mean would you trust bronze age medicine to save your life? How would bronze age Ideas work for providing the power needed to run a city? Or what bronze morality should we apply to a modern, non-homogeneous culture? None of it really applies today at all. Bronze age cosmology is a joke, those people had no clue how big the universe was and how unimportant this planet is.

ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ScorpionBeeBee

iginlawasup
Yes that is a good sign. Many younger people here on GS, so that bodes well for the future. Bronze age myths are going the way of the dodo, and all I can say is that it is about time!
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="iginlawasup"]

ScorpionBeeBee
Yes that is a good sign. Many younger people here on GS, so that bodes well for the future. Bronze age myths are going the way of the dodo, and all I can say is that it is about time!

Atheism is certainly going up, especially among the youngsters, but it depends where you live. In high school, of kids I've talked to (and have figured out their religion), I'd say about 80% of them are atheist.
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

[QUOTE="iginlawasup"]

ScorpionBeeBee

I don't believe that says anything what the future will be like. People will still be killing, children will still be starving and worse. How can anyone say many younger people being Aitheist now bodes well for the future is beyond me.

ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 ScorpionBeeBee

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"][QUOTE="iginlawasup"]

KHAndAnime

Atheism is certainly going up, especially among the youngsters, but it depends where you live. In high school, of kids I've talked to (and have figured out their religion), I'd say about 80% of them are atheist.

Heh I remember my high school days. I was a self-proclaimed "hardcore fundamentalist christian," even though I did accept evolution so +1 for my old self. I remember me and my friends always hating on gay people, saying they deserved to die because they were an abomination to the Lord. Funny thing was after I enlisted in the army I actually met some gay people for the first time and I couldn't bring myself to hate them anymore. It was like ok, this guy is gay should I want to kill him now or something? It all felt so silly, and I just accepted them as people.

Then I got out of the army and went to college down here in So Cal. It is pretty cliche but yes I had some great professors that really opened my eyes up to the world and how and why things are the way they are. I remember the mental agony I went through when I finally built enough courage inside to tell myself that I didn't believe in Jesus anymore as a man-God. That was a very difficult hurdle to jump for someone who was raised on classic fire and brimstone pentecostalism.

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 iginlawasup

[QUOTE="iginlawasup"]

ScorpionBeeBee

And that's when the world will fail. Nobody will have any tradition! Nobody will have any life or any soul! Nobody will have a point in life. What are you saying it's a good sign? Nobody will have any Morales. People will be doing things that are totally immoral. Nobody will hold the door for the old lady down the street! They won't care about her feelings because apparently nobody has a soul anymore! Who cares about the what the bible says! Believe in your own vision of a God who has some moral and tradition. It's about time? So now when your an old man, you will be could be shoved down the stairs, because nobody will have a conscious anymore! This is why the some countries like the USA don't have any tradition anymore!

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 iginlawasup

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"] Yes that is a good sign. Many younger people here on GS, so that bodes well for the future. Bronze age myths are going the way of the dodo, and all I can say is that it is about time! ScorpionBeeBee

I remember me and my friends always hating on gay people, saying they deserved to die because they were an abomination to the Lord.

Ok, so every Christian now hates Gays?

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

other

I beleive in something probably only I beleive and I´m kind of undecided because I change my thoughts about this "religion" a lot, to sum up in a simple way what I beleive is that the universe is a living creature, that living creature could be a "god" or just something like an animal and that there is a god but he doesn´t have unlimited powers like most religions think but sometimes I think he just doesn´t care about humanity anymore

ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 ScorpionBeeBee

stepnkev

I don't believe that says anything what the future will be like. People will still be killing, children will still be starving and worse. How can anyone say many younger people being Aitheist now bodes well for the future is beyond me.

Well its like this. Despite what many people say, the world as a whole is getting better, as far as inter-human relationships. The average value of a human life is orders of magnitude higher than it was say during the dark ages, and even more so than bronze age times and before. Things you could get away with 3000 years ago would be looked upon with abject horror now in industrialized societies. No I'm not saying that war, disease, famines and other assorted maladies do not exist, but with the real advances in communication people around the world are coming to the conclusion that we are all one species from the same planet.

We don't fear the unknown in other races as much anymore, walls are being brought down and the value of a life has gone up considerably. Would you want to live in a more savage era with primitive medicines and none of the comforts of today? As religiosity goes down many of the mental barriers we erect to divide us from other groups atrophy and eventually go away. So yeah, less reliance on gods and more reliance on eachother for our well being is a great thing for our species.

Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Ed_Cetera
Member since 2009 • 373 Posts

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Atheism is certainly going up, especially among the youngsters, but it depends where you live. In high school, of kids I've talked to (and have figured out their religion), I'd say about 80% of them are atheist. iginlawasup

I remember me and my friends always hating on gay people, saying they deserved to die because they were an abomination to the Lord.

Mayhaps not the gay people personally, but they do believe homosexuality is a sin.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 alexside1

KHAndAnime

"Atheist / Agnostic / non-religious "

Atheism != Agnostic / non-religious

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 iginlawasup

As far as higher powers, well there could be advanced alien species out there that to us would be considered God-like

ScorpionBeeBee

Do these aliens tell you right from wrong? Do these aliens give you morals and tradition? Do they give you emotions? Who created them then if they are "Gods"?

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 alexside1
[QUOTE="iginlawasup"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"]

Ed_Cetera

Mayhaps not the gay people personally, but they do believe homosexuality is a sin.

They have this saying "love the sinner hate the sin"
Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Ed_Cetera
Who created them then if they are "Gods"?iginlawasup
Arguing hypothetical situations is not my favourite of things, but it's possible abiogenesis occured on other planets.
iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 iginlawasup

[QUOTE="iginlawasup"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"]

Ed_Cetera

Yes that is true but I consider myself Christian but I do not think being Gay is a sin.

Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Ed_Cetera
They have this saying "love the sinner hate the sinalexside1
I know, but to me that doesn't really work. You "love" someone, yet despise a part of them; something which they had no control over no less.
ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 ScorpionBeeBee

iginlawasup

And that's when the world will fail. Nobody will have any tradition! Nobody will have any life or any soul! Nobody will have a point in life. What are you saying it's a good sign? Nobody will have any Morales. People will be doing things that are totally immoral. Nobody will hold the door for the old lady down the street! They won't care about her feelings because apparently nobody has a soul anymore! Who cares about the what the bible says! Believe in your own vision of a God who has some moral and tradition. It's about time? So now when your an old man, you will be could be shoved down the stairs, because nobody will have a conscious anymore! This is why the some countries like the USA don't have any tradition anymore!

So if you didn't believe in a god you would be killing, raping, and pillaging to your hearts delight? You don't have a conscience and empathy for your fellow man??? You don't need a god for that you know. We have laws, police, and prisons do deal with those kinds of people. Only a sociopath would recklessly and wantonly hurt other people without regards for what they feel. Morality doesn't come from god, it comes from a species that has evolved over millions of years to live with each other in close proximity. You just made a classic theistic blunder, equating belief in god with morality.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="alexside1"]They have this saying "love the sinner hate the sinEd_Cetera
I know, but to me that doesn't really work. You "love" someone, yet despise a part of them; something which they had no control over no less.

As a Christian it works exactly like that... We are ALL sinners...I am no better or worse than them... So I recognize that we all sin...no reason to hate someone "Judge not lest ye be judged...let he is without sin cast the first stone"
Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Ed_Cetera
Nobody will hold the door for the old lady down the street!iginlawasup
Somehow, my atheism is not stopping me from holding doors for the elderly. I must not be fanatical enough.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Teenaged

[QUOTE="iginlawasup"]Nobody will hold the door for the old lady down the street!Ed_Cetera
Somehow, my atheism is not stopping me from holding doors for the elderly. I must not be fanatical enough.

True.

As an agnostic/undecided/confused/headache-d person I have held the door and offered my seat quite a lot of times. :P

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 stepnkev

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"] Yes that is a good sign. Many younger people here on GS, so that bodes well for the future. Bronze age myths are going the way of the dodo, and all I can say is that it is about time! ScorpionBeeBee

Well its like this. Despite what many people say, the world as a whole is getting better, as far as inter-human relationships. The average value of a human life is orders of magnitude higher than it was say during the dark ages, and even more so than bronze age times and before. Things you could get away with 3000 years ago would be looked upon with abject horror now in industrialized societies. No I'm not saying that war, disease, famines and other assorted maladies do not exist, but with the real advances in communication people around the world are coming to the conclusion that we are all one species from the same planet.

We don't fear the unknown in other races as much anymore, walls are being brought down and the value of a life has gone up considerably. Would you want to live in a more savage era with primitive medicines and none of the comforts of today? As religiosity goes down many of the mental barriers we erect to divide us from other groups atrophy and eventually go away. So yeah, less reliance on gods and more reliance on eachother for our well being is a great thing for our species.

Have you seen what goes on out there these days?

Sure - many more people are treating homosexuals with fairness and like any other human being. Races are being treated fairly now as well. These are the goods things for which I am all for and I am still religious. Imagine that.

However, look on the news and you will see an entirely different picture. How many murders are being committed? How many crimes are being done? Violence is becoming more and more prevalent in society. How can you say the world is getting better? I am now over 40 years old and I can confirm the world has become worse over time. I remember growing up with my friends not being afraid to go out alone on Halloween night. Now the children still go out but there are many parents on the street as well. Our children need protection now because there are many out there who do no care about life. This is happening more and more now.

Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Ed_Cetera
As an agnostic/undecided/confused/headache-d person I have held the door and offered my seat quite a lot of times. Teenaged
You haven't been watching enough Dawkins videos then! Back to work you APOSTATE! [QUOTE="rawsavon"] As a Christian it works exactly like that... We are ALL sinners...I am no better or worse than them... So I recognize that we all sin...no reason to hate someone "Judge not lest ye be judged...let he is without sin cast the first stone"

I understand that. We just disagree on homosexuality being a sin.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#180 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I am a luciferian atheist.
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 stepnkev

[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"][QUOTE="iginlawasup"]Nobody will hold the door for the old lady down the street!Teenaged

True.

As an agnostic/undecided/confused/headache-d person I have held the door and offered my seat quite a lot of times. :P

I'm Christian and I do that as well. :P

Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Ed_Cetera

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"]

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

stepnkev

Sure - many more people are treating homosexuals with fairness and like any other human being. Races are being treated fairly now as well. These are the goods things for which I am all for and I am still religious. Imagine that.

However, look on the news and you will see an entirely different picture. How many murders are being committed? How many crimes are being done? Violence is becoming more and more prevalent in society. How can you say the world is getting better? I am now over 40 years old and I can confirm the world has become worse over time. I remember growing up with my friends not being afraid to go out alone on Halloween night. Now the children still go out but there are many parents on the street as well. Our children need protection now because there are many out there who do no care about life. This is happening more and more now.

Is it really happening more, or is information merely more accesible these days, making it easier for you to hear about crimes and atrocities?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Teenaged

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"]

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

stepnkev

Using the news as an example is a very innacurate way of depicting the world around you.

The news of course will cover negative news most of all. I thought thats common knowledge. There is no shortage of good in the world. Its just that people care to be "exposed" to the bad events in order to be alerted. To some that works moderately and other are overwhelmed. But that doesnt mean that the "evil" in the world is overwhelming good.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"] [QUOTE="rawsavon"] As a Christian it works exactly like that... We are ALL sinners...I am no better or worse than them... So I recognize that we all sin...no reason to hate someone "Judge not lest ye be judged...let he is without sin cast the first stone"

That is fine...you just can't assume that all Christians have a ill will toward gay people...they are just people, same as me My best friend when I was a teacher was gay...it is not like most Christians sit around and talk about people's sins
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"] Somehow, my atheism is not stopping me from holding doors for the elderly. I must not be fanatical enough. stepnkev

True.

Yeah just trying to refute the notion that if you are not religious you dont do all these things. :P

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 stepnkev

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"] Well its like this. Despite what many people say, the world as a whole is getting better, as far as inter-human relationships. The average value of a human life is orders of magnitude higher than it was say during the dark ages, and even more so than bronze age times and before. Things you could get away with 3000 years ago would be looked upon with abject horror now in industrialized societies. No I'm not saying that war, disease, famines and other assorted maladies do not exist, but with the real advances in communication people around the world are coming to the conclusion that we are all one species from the same planet.

Ed_Cetera

Is it really happening more, or is information merely more accesible these days, making it easier for you to hear about crimes and atrocities?

It's happening more. I'm not that old. We still had TV, Radio, mail, etc.

Ed_Cetera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Ed_Cetera
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"] [QUOTE="rawsavon"] As a Christian it works exactly like that... We are ALL sinners...I am no better or worse than them... So I recognize that we all sin...no reason to hate someone "Judge not lest ye be judged...let he is without sin cast the first stone"

That is fine...you just can't assume that all Christians have a ill will toward gay people...they are just people, same as me My best friend when I was a teacher was gay...it is not like most Christians sit around and talk about people's sins

I didn't assume that. I said while they may not hate homosexuals personally, they still consider their lifestyle sinful. I can see the difference between a homosexual and homosexuality, from a Christian standpoint.
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 stepnkev

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]True.

Teenaged

Yeah just trying to refute the notion that if you are not religious you dont do all these things. :P

Just joking with ya. I agree. Not having religion doesn't mean your a bad person. :) Anyone can hold the door open or give their seat up for someone.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

"Other"

I don't care, I don't give a **** about anything religious and I don't spend my time thinking about it.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"][QUOTE="stepnkev"]

stepnkev

It's happening more. I'm not that old. We still had TV, Radio, mail, etc.

Well, what I have noticed is that in the last 10 years the media has overdone it.

I remember watching the news when I was 10 (not that I intended to) and it was majorly different than what it is now.

The media also use bad news for the shock value. For some reason, a person would rather watch news that show all the evil in the world than news that show both good news and bad news equally. The media have realised that. They want the viewers ratings to go up, and thus they give the people what they want. More coverage on attrocities, overdramatisation (epic music in the background, anchor man script sounding like Galadriel in the intro of LotR etc) etc.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"]I understand that. We just disagree on homosexuality being a sin.Ed_Cetera

I didn't assume that. I said while they may not hate homosexuals personally, they still consider their lifestyle sinful. I can see the difference between a homosexual and homosexuality, from a Christian standpoint.

It is not like that though...it is not like they have a sinful lifestyle and i do not...we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we do
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 alexside1

I understand that. We just disagree on homosexuality being a sin.Ed_Cetera
I find it funny that the christians themselves couldn't agree on whatever or not that homosexuality is being a sin. I got to say, it's a very heated topic, even among the christians themselves.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Teenaged

we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we dorawsavon
Thats one of the major things that pushed me away from Christianity.

ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 ScorpionBeeBee

[QUOTE="ScorpionBeeBee"]

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

stepnkev

You need to compare the world at as a whole. Yes things are better than they were in our savage past, considerably so even. We have a tendency to look at the past with rose colored glasses on but you can be certain that there were terrible injustices going on at that time. Just because you weren't affected by them doesn't mean the past is all sun shine and roses. I am 30 years old, and I have seen people over time becoming more open to new ideas, open to differences in opinion and culture and sexual orientation. 40 years ago there was much social unrest in this country, most schools weren't integrated, the industralized world was living under the threat of the bomb,and the US was meddling in foreign countries with a disgusting amount of apathy and short sightedness towards the future. Yeah things weren't so great after all.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#195 trust_nobody
Member since 2003 • 3356 Posts

I've found out I can't really put any label on myself by definition, so "Other"

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 alexside1

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we doTeenaged

Can you explain for us with more detail?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we doTeenaged

Understandable...I admit that it is a hard pill to swallow sometimes -do I feel guilty about something because it is a sin against God or because I have been socialized to feel that way...a question that every Christian (nay person) must answer for themselves
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we doalexside1

Can you explain for us with more detail?

........um.........ok....

I dont agree with the view of the Original Sin. That we are all born sinners. I find that view to be just a dogma stemming from a pessimistic view about humanity.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="Ed_Cetera"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] That is fine...you just can't assume that all Christians have a ill will toward gay people...they are just people, same as me My best friend when I was a teacher was gay...it is not like most Christians sit around and talk about people's sinsrawsavon

It is not like that though...it is not like they have a sinful lifestyle and i do not...we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we do

Isn't the word "Sin" and the meaning just a religious ideology? I'm Atheist and I know the difference between right and wrong and apart from that it comes down to sociecty to say what is considered right and wrong.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]we ALL have sinful lifestyles...each one of us -If I am married and have lustful thoughts = sin, etc....sin, sin, sin all day...that is all we dorawsavon

Understandable...I admit that it is a hard pill to swallow sometimes -do I feel guilty about something because it is a sin against God or because I have been socialized to feel that way...a question that every Christian (nay person) must answer for themselves

And I really believe that I wasnt apalled by it because it doesnt suit me and my lifestyle or generally it being too strict a dogma to "live with".

I personally when I sit down and try to figure out how such a perception could be born, I cant help but think that its yet another dogma stemming from a pessimistic view about humanity.