What are you? Religious, Atheist, Undecide, or Other

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#301 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts
I believe the dinosaurs were never killed by a meteor, but are in fact still with us, hiding behind trees and large shrubs. They come out only at night time.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#302 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
You're confusing the actual pointhere; the atheist does not usually declare that he knows that God does not exist, but rather that he has no belief in God, and therefore has a belief that God does not exist.MetalGear_Ninty
Then, according to proper english vernacular (The Oxford English Dictionary) they are not proper atheists. Atheism, according to the dictionary, is the active belief there is no God. If you merely lack belief in God, you are not technically an atheist. You are more along the lines of a non-believer, which is not the same as an atheist, according to the dictionary.

What Bertrand was proposing was that agnosticism using the justification you just gave, is wholly irrational as one like yourself would also have to declare his agnosticism for such celestail teapots; whilst granted we cannot be certain of the non-existence of such a teapot, it becomes reasonable for us, without sufficient evidence to embrace the defualt position of believe that such an entity does not exist.

Of course one would declare agnosticisim for celestial teapots. That is the rational thing to do. Mere lack of evidence of a teapot is not sufficient grounds to dismiss the presence of the teapot. It is entirely unreasonable to make the jump from lack of evidence to evidence of naught. That is a logical fallacy.
_Ben99_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#303 _Ben99_
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
I petty atheists and how they are mislead , you will see , you will see
gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#304 gubrushadow
Member since 2009 • 2735 Posts
wow , most people here are atheists ?? hmmmmmm
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
wow , most people here are atheists ?? hmmmmmmgubrushadow
That is not unexpected around GS
_Ben99_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 _Ben99_
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
[QUOTE="gubrushadow"]wow , most people here are atheists ?? hmmmmmmrawsavon

why is that ? are gamers brainwashed to be atheists . Maybe there is subtle messages in games . These kids should be sent somewhere
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"] You're confusing the actual pointhere; the atheist does not usually declare that he knows that God does not exist, but rather that he has no belief in God, and therefore has a belief that God does not exist.Vandalvideo
Then, according to proper english vernacular (The Oxford English Dictionary) they are not proper atheists. Atheism, according to the dictionary, is the active belief there is no God. If you merely lack belief in God, you are not technically an atheist. You are more along the lines of a non-believer, which is not the same as an atheist, according to the dictionary.

Definitions differ from source to source. Some state that atheismis merely a lack of belief in God, whilst others suggest that it is an active belief in the lack of God. I think they're virtually the same anyway when considering any adult, except from the rare occassions in which one is truly and entirely nuetral.

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

What Bertrand was proposing was that agnosticism using the justification you just gave, is wholly irrational as one like yourself would also have to declare his agnosticism for such celestail teapots; whilst granted we cannot be certain of the non-existence of such a teapot, it becomes reasonable for us, without sufficient evidence to embrace the defualt position of believe that such an entity does not exist.Vandalvideo

Of course one would declare agnosticisim for celestial teapots. That is the rational thing to do. Mere lack of evidence of a teapot is not sufficient grounds to dismiss the presence of the teapot. It is entirely unreasonable to make the jump from lack of evidence to evidence of naught. That is a logical fallacy.

No, I didn't say that a lack of evidence is evidence of naught -- only that it is irrational to pursue agnosticism when there is a lack of convincing evidence.

Take the following claim: "An enemy intent on killing is situated just behind your chair holding a knife"

If you were agnosticism to this claim, as you must declare yourself as such considering that such a claim is unfalsifiable, then why aren't you constantly looking behind yourself to protect yourself from such an entity? Such a course would be the rational option for those like yourself who are agnostic to the existence of such an entity. But you don't take such an action, this is because you see no evidence for it, and therefore rationally employ the belief that such a murderous does not exist straight behind yourself.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="gubrushadow"]wow , most people here are atheists ?? hmmmmmm_Ben99_

why is that ? are gamers brainwashed to be atheists . Maybe there is subtle messages in games . These kids should be sent somewhere

No...just many atheists here...easy to pick up on that if you post in OT a lot
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#309 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'd classify myself as a rational thinker who has strong doubts in the existence of a god.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#310 trust_nobody
Member since 2003 • 3356 Posts

It's hard to put a defining label on me. I'm definitely not religious and I can't certainly say that I'm atheist, and I also can't say for certain that it's impossible to find out that a supreme being exists or that someone doesn't already know this, so I can't really say I'm agnostic.

While dieties in religion seem to be absurd, it's as possible as it is impossible. Someone mentioned that lack of evidence does not imply evidence of nonexistence, and while this is true, on the flip side there isa lack ofevidential nonexistence. Some might argue that the calculations are illogical, but how are we to be certain that we know what we know? Maybe we're in a matrix! And people say, that's ridiculous. Well, is it? Is it really hard to believe that your senses are lying to you? Maybe they're not and I'm full of ****, but by all means I beg you to enlighten me in a way I haven't already considered. The realm of possibility is an illusion.

People waste time with silly labels and debates when it comes to the ultimate source, and it's rare that you come across someone who will simply say "I just don't know."

hammerofcrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 hammerofcrom
Member since 2009 • 1323 Posts

Other. I believe in spiritual energy. but beyond that, well, I'm still figuring it all out for myself.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#312 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="gubrushadow"]wow , most people here are atheists ?? hmmmmmm_Ben99_

The only brainwashing done is by the church and the parents from the age of birth. You disrespect non-believers by calling us 'kids' when in reality more than likely we've all looked at the data a lot more than you and came to our own conslusions. More than likely I'm also a lot older than you.

I_train_UFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 I_train_UFC
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The only brainwashing done is by the church and the parents from the age of birth. You disrespect non-believers by calling us 'kids' when in reality more than likely we've all looked at the data a lot more than you and came to our own conslusions. More than likely I'm also a lot older than you.BumFluff122
Oh snap!
Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#314 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

I believe the dinosaurs were never killed by a meteor, but are in fact still with us, hiding behind trees and large shrubs. They come out only at night time. Doctor-McNinja

:lol:

anyway am an Atheist, and i hate the endless debates that start when people know am atheist, it's ignorant and self- centered to always think they're right.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58530 Posts

undecided atheist...i neither believe in God, nor do I doubt the existence of a higher power 100%

HydraRizlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#316 HydraRizlim
Member since 2009 • 1110 Posts

Atheist.

*With 155 votes theAtheist / Agnostic / non-religious are the winners. :P

-Absinthe-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#317 -Absinthe-
Member since 2008 • 4181 Posts

Definately not a believer of the christ god. Wōden and Thunor walk in the hills, sleep in the valleys and drink from the streams of England. I don't believe in some sand god from a country I've never been to. Anglo-Saxon paganism is the way for me, I wear Mjollnir everyday.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#318 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Definitions differ from source to source. Some state that atheismis merely a lack of belief in God, whilst others suggest that it is an active belief in the lack of God. I think they're virtually the same anyway when considering any adult, except from the rare occassions in which one is truly and entirely nuetral.MetalGear_Ninty
And Oxford is the most well respected source of the english language, used in universities around the world. I am more inclined to listen to them than random people on internet forums. They win in terms of credibility. Atheism, according to the proper authorities, is an active belief there is no God. If you do not hold that belief, you are improperly calling yourself an atheist.

No, I didn't say that a lack of evidence is evidence of naught -- only that it is irrational to pursue agnosticism when there is a lack of convincing evidence.

If anything, that is exactly when you're supposed to pursue agnosticism. Agnosticism is merely; "I do not know". You simply do not know. The mere lack of convincing evidence is not reason to say that there is no teapot. It is merely evidence to remain skeptical of a teapot. Neither to confirm nor deny.

Take the following claim: "An enemy intent on killing is situated just behind your chair holding a knife" If you were agnosticism to this claim, as you must declare yourself as such considering that such a claim is unfalsifiable, then why aren't you constantly looking behind yourself to protect yourself from such an entity? Such a course would be the rational option for those like yourself who are agnostic to the existence of such an entity. But you don't take such an action, this is because you see no evidence for it, and therefore rationally employ the belief that such a murderous does not exist straight behind yourself.

An agnostic need not necessarily always check up on something. An agnostic is not tasked with trying to find the proof. An agnostic merely recognizes their own limit in seeing the truth. When someone says; "there is a guy behind your chair" you do not say "no there is not" or "yes there is" merely from suggestion. That isn't sufficient grounds to make the conclusion that there truly is or is not someone behind your chair. It is not rational to declare something is not the case merely because there is no evidence for it being the case. That is a fallacy.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

And Oxford is the most well respected source of the english language, used in universities around the world. I am more inclined to listen to them than random people on internet forums. They win in terms of credibility. Atheism, according to the proper authorities, is an active belief there is no God. If you do not hold that belief, you are improperly calling yourself an atheist. Vandalvideo

Well I do agree with OED's defintion as I already said, but I also agree that other defintions can be employed, so there is no real argument to be had here. For future reference though, your invoking of OED means almost nothing if you can't support such claims with evidence or else we are merely taking your word for it.

If anything, that is exactly when you're supposed to pursue agnosticism. Agnosticism is merely; "I do not know". You simply do not know. The mere lack of convincing evidence is not reason to say that there is no teapot. It is merely evidence to remain skeptical of a teapot. Neither to confirm nor deny. Vandalvideo

I am not talking about knowing, and rarely do people who engage in this form of discourse talk of 'knowing'. Agnosticism is a somewhat tautological, redundant term anyway because only in rare instance does anybody actually 'know' anything. Thus to decalre to the universe your state of 'not knowing' is somewhat meaningless.

An agnostic need not necessarily always check up on something. An agnostic is not tasked with trying to find the proof. An agnostic merely recognizes their own limit in seeing the truth. When someone says; "there is a guy behind your chair" you do not say "no there is not" or "yes there is" merely from suggestion. That isn't sufficient grounds to make the conclusion that there truly is or is not someone behind your chair. It is not rational to declare something is not the case merely because there is no evidence for it being the case. That is a fallacy.Vandalvideo

You're not entertaining the hypothetical though. The point of my scenario is not to demonstrate whether the subject knows or does not know whether he has an enemy behind him, but rather to conveythe absurdity that would ensue from adopting a position of agnosticism to the existence of the enemy.

If you chose to maintain the position of agnosticism in this scenario, and valued your survival, you'd inevitably be forced to be constantly looking over your shoulder to at least try and protect yourself from an ensuing attack. Afterall, 'no evidence of his existence,is not evidence of his non-existence''.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Agnostic

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts

What? Stinking Atheists and there unwilling to believe in violent, blood thirsty gods...
-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#322 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts

No. I have a question for you. Why bring this onto a website with gamers? Lol, that's so stupid...Most of the people here will obviously be athiest.

...I'm a Presbyterian fyi.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts

No. I have a question for you. Why bring this onto a website with gamers? Lol, that's so stupid...Most of the people here will obviously be athiest.

-Pro-Link-
Its off topic... People talk about anything here. How is it Stupid?
teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

I'm Christian but my beliefs are generally different from most Christian hypocrites I know.

-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#325 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts

[QUOTE="-Pro-Link-"]

W1ckedGo0se

Its off topic... People talk about anything here. How is it Stupid?

Lol, because EVERYONE it seems is on here looking for an argument instead of a good time. Look, most likely you'll say something now extremely defensive and try to start something. It's Gamespot...Where most of the people are gamers. :P

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I'd been a devout Catholic for over 30 years but I'm now a "soft" atheist since God no longer makes sense IMHO. The only religion that I'm interested in atm is Buddhism (and maybe Confucianism and Taoism)

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 trust_nobody

I'd been a devout Catholic for over 30 years but I'm now a "soft" atheist since God no longer makes sense IMHO. The only religion that I'm interested in atm is Buddhism (and maybe Confucianism and Taoism)

Zensword

I met a hotdog vendor one time that was Buddhist.

He made me one with everything :P

(all credit for that joke goes to my good friend Bryan aka chAng)

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 Zensword

[QUOTE="Zensword"]

trust_nobody

Sorry I honestly dont get the joke of your good friend.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 trust_nobody

[QUOTE="trust_nobody"]

[QUOTE="Zensword"]

Zensword

Oh. It's a pun on spiritual philosophy vs a fully loaded hot dog.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 Zensword

[QUOTE="Zensword"]

[QUOTE="trust_nobody"]

trust_nobody

To be frank, it's not funny.BTW, when I buyhotdogs, I only get a little bit ketchup and sliced jalapeno.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 trust_nobody

[QUOTE="trust_nobody"]

[QUOTE="Zensword"]

Zensword

To be frank, it's not funny.BTW, when I buyhotdogs, I only get a little bit ketchup and sliced jalapeno.

Neat.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

I'm an agnostic atheist.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#333 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
wow, more atheists that have voted in the poll, thought there would be more of christians
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

wow, more atheists that have voted in the poll, thought there would be more of christiansThe_Last_Ride

I expected that. There seems to always be more Atheists than Christians here on GS at least. Every time the higher number usually involves Atheism. I'm still happy to be a Christian though. :P

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#335 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Catholic.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

wow, more atheists that have voted in the poll, thought there would be more of christiansThe_Last_Ride

Atheist =/= agnostic

That 52% on the poll is made up of atheists, aganostics, and non-religious people, not just atheists. And since 28% (more than half the number of atheists/agnostics/etc.) voted Christian or Catholic, I think it's safe to assume the difference isn't really that big.