Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@evil_loli said:

As far as reading books goes. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Don't understand why so many people seemed to not like it. I think it's okay so far.

The reason I could never get into Harry Potter was a school full of Powerful and experienced wizards always need a 12 year old kid to save their asses from whatever the big bad is book to book or movie to movie. Maybe I was just too old to get into a book about a bunch of kids.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#52 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@evil_loli said:

As far as reading books goes. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Don't understand why so many people seemed to not like it. I think it's okay so far.

I didn't want to read it because of the format.

alex_is_ok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By alex_is_ok
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Python cookbook..
mess....

lucybrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 lucybrighton
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Psychology in Your Life - https://www.bartleby.com/textbooks/psychology-in-your-life-second-edition-2nd-edition/9780393265156/solutions

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Burning Down the Haus: Punk Rock, Revolution, and the Fall of the Berlin Wall

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Tom Clancy's: Patriot Games. Once I am complete with this book I am moving more toward the science-fiction and I am going to read the Star Wars: Republic Commando five book series.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Now I am reading the Usaki Yojimbo Special Collection by Ken Sakai. Can't beat a samurai rabbit!

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

The last book I read was about stocks. Buying stocks is one of the few ways people become rich, other than working a high-paying job.

I basically read all the time, online or offline. It is a lot better than TV. The new knowledge you get, imagination you use, increased vocabulary, mental stimulation and relaxation, memory improvement, improved concentration, etc, all these things happen when you read. Reading is one of the best things you can do.

Want a good book? Read a general encyclopedia (the paper kind), from A-Z. You will come away a lot more knowledgeable about the world. I read a general encyclopedia before and it added so much to my knowledge; it had a huge impact on my mind. Like I said, reading is one of the best things you can do.

Reading does far more than just give you knowledge. It increases your views on the world and exposes you to new things. Your thoughts and conversations will have greater depth because you will know about many different subjects. Reading anything, factual or fictional, makes your mind become active and is extremely good for your mind.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#59 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58960 Posts

Decided to read "On Her Majesties Secret Service" to see how it differs from the movie. Purchased a few, probably read the man with The Golden Gun, think one of the few people who prefer it over Live And Let Die.

From reading the first chapter yesterday, yea, the opening of the movie is pretty close. Removed a bunch of stuff, and ends with them being caught and put on a boat, but the basic framework is the same.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DEVILinIRON

I'm reading Robinson Crusoe USN. It's about a man named George Tweed who served in the US Navy on the island of Guam during WWII. The Japanese successfully stormed the island and Tweed decided to retreat and hide out until the United States returned. With the aid of native islanders he was able to elude the Japanese for two years. My great grandfather is in this book, noted for helping George with a radio.

Steve5XG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Steve5XG
Member since 2018 • 180 Posts

Just read World War Z, to get some points about writing a new game non based in zombies. Yeah, I know it sounds rare, but finally I got inspirated!

Avatar image for jeffthechipmonk
jeffthechipmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jeffthechipmonk
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

At risk of being self serving.....I'm reading my own novels. "The Arms of Venus" (Dan Brown-esque conspiracy thriller) and "The Brazilian" (Self-discovery travel journal). I wish everyone would read them. I would love them to become either adventure games or movies (or both). I'd love it if anyone cared to read/review them and tell me if they are worthy!

Holly77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Holly77

The Book Thief.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#65 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

@DEVILinIRON:I've read the whole series, excellent choice..!!!

I'm reading Shadow of Night part of the All Souls Trilogy. It follows on from A Discovery of Witches. It's by Deborah Harkness. You may recognise A Discovery of Witches from TV but the book was more in depth.. ;)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#66 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58960 Posts

The Man With The Golden Gun.

The book version of Scaramanga is fairly rubbish compared to Christopher Lee's anti-Bond version Similar circus back-story though. I would really love if they remade this in the modern era as they did the Spectre story-line. Everything is pretty much different from the movie.

The weirdest part is that he's an implied homosexual... because he can't whistle. What?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#67 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I just started reading Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis by Anne Rice. I loved her Vampire Chronicles, but when she decided to continue it years later with Prince Lestat, it was highly disappointed by that book. I decided after a few years past to give her another chance, and so far so good. She has a new one out called Blood Communion which I'm going to read next.

sekacan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 sekacan69
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

willy yaman

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Currently reading The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. Fantastic epic fantasy series if anyone is looking for one!

Also reading Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, it's a nice overview of human history.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DEVILinIRON

Gonna be reading the 6th in the Gunslinger series called Song of Susannah by Steven King.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Game of Thrones. Fun stuff, really neat how the show gets the major points pretty good.

Always interesting reading a book after seeing a show/movie, or seeing a movie/show after reading the book.

@gwynbleidd_91 said:

Dune by Frank Hebert

My favorite!

First time reading it? There's a whole slew of Dune books. Frank Herbert wrote a few originally, then his son came along and wrote a bunch more. Frank's are great! His son's....well...some are good, but they're really really violent.

The last novel I read was Dune, which was for the first time. It was awesome.

GoT is probably my favorite book series, mainly for the prose. GRRM's use of language is brilliant and always a joy to read. It's my favorite series in spite of the fact that medieval fantasy is my least favorite genre because I read the crap out of it when I was a teenager (D&D novelization-type stuff).

These days I spend more time on comics/graphic novels. I'm going through the Outcast series that Robert Kirkman did.

-Byshop

Sideer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Sideer
Member since 2018 • 29 Posts

Desolation from Stephen King currently :) he's the best, never disappointed

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 DEVILinIRON

@sideer: Agreed!

I'm reading the Dark Tower series: Song of Susannah by Steven King.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By HEATHEN75

@XVision84 said:

Currently reading The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. Fantastic epic fantasy series if anyone is looking for one!

Also reading Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, it's a nice overview of human history.

Just finished that series a few months ago. Got tired of waiting for the library and spent $45 to get the third book. I usually only buy used books. That tells you how good I thought this series was. If you haven't already, check out his other series Mistborn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@heathen75: Which of the 3 did you like most? I find a lot of people think the 3rd is the weakest but I liked it the most. It was much darker than previous entries!

Mistborn is on my reading list, I'll definitely check it out. Brandon Sanderson is very good.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 HEATHEN75

@XVision84: I liked the 2nd book best. Character introductions were already out of the way and it just rolled along at a great pace. Third book was slow out of the gate but really picked about halfway through and didn't let up after that.

4th book due out in 2020.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@heathen75:

Looking forward to it. I really enjoy his overall structure with his books (the Sanderlanche). It leads to very explosive climaxes :P.

2nd book is definitely the most liked one, it seems.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Smart Baseball by Keith Law and then I might read The Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin.

Avatar image for jennycheercheer
JennyCheerCheer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 JennyCheerCheer
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

I am reading A Wizard from Earthsea.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#84 benleslie5
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

The Book of Hidden Things by Francesco Dimitri

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HEATHEN75

About to start book 3 of the Broken Empire.

Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Damn good series about one boy's (now a man) quest for vengeance. Not often that the hero of a story is just as much of a bastard as the villains. Don't know if this book even has a true hero in it.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#87 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

The Twilight Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko

kingkilla3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 kingkilla3
Member since 2006 • 17193 Posts

I'm reading "Europe: A History" by Norman Davies, a ridiculously heavy book about European history, of course. Currently no fiction for me, but I've got a few ideas for what's next. Last I read was "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" by Shirley Jackson, a darkly amusing story.

Ele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Ele

Mouthing the Words by Camilla Gibb, a bit dark but super interesting.

EpicWolfie435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By EpicWolfie435
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

What's a book? (read with sarcasm)

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Biography of Cosey Fanni Tutti - Art Sex Music. Great if you have any interest in the history of Throbbing Gristle, or just art/performance art/music itself (or even just what constitutes as art).

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@bassdemolitia:

One post history wtf

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I'm reading through 'The Years of Rice and Salt' at the moment. It's an alternate history novel with the point of departure being that the Black Death ends up killing 99% of Europe, and so China and the Middle East come to dominate the course of human history.

Buddhism is a central focus, in which characters throughout the 10 part book are reincarnated again and again from those you're introduced to in part 1. However, each character keeps the same name initial in all of their reincarnated lives to allow the reader to identify them.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far and would absolutely recommend it to anyone, even if you're not usually a fan of alternate history stuff. The book covers a lot of interesting themes, and is a very thought provoking read.

BassDemolitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By BassDemolitia
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

@x_karen_x: it's almost as if I created an account yesterday.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 X_Karen_x

@bassdemolitia:

Sorry im getting a lot of questions at work.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts
@bassdemolitia said:

@kriggy then why the **** would you contribute to the post? Literally your entire history is you giving your two cents in shit that you know nothing about. It's never anything with any substance either, so your either the most boring, uneducated shite on planet Earth, or you literally have nothing better to do in your garbage life than try to make yourself feel important in a forum nobody asked for your comment on. Maybe you should read a book, then your dumb ass could actually contribute to a conversation.

Wind in the Willows. Great book, even after so many years.

Whoa dude, chill out! What's the matter with you? Great initial post by the way, really shows your true colors!

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 X_Karen_x

I read a book on relationship. It very interesting. What is most interesting to me is when I read and then at same time observe one of my coworkers go through same process of what I am reading.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Apt Pupil and Night Falls Fast.