UPDATE! NeoGAF Owner accused of sexual abuse, site officially back up and statement

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@carlisledavid79 said:

It's Sexual Harassment no question.

That I can agree with 100%, but I don't think it's nearly the same as the way people are using the term assault. Legally I believe it's all under the same umbrella but **** if it's raping someone as some in here are acting like.

Oliver8114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Oliver8114
Member since 2015 • 86 Posts

@Mercenary848: I love these kind of insults when they come for people who obviously are very left leaning.

To me a SJW is someone who takes social justice too far. An extremist who thinks he is fighting some war or really believes that he stands on the right side of history. Someone who uses the same tactics and methods like the people who he/she despises. And yeah you really can say Neogaf is/was such a place. . Any Crtiscm regarding femininsm for example was almost a perma ban. There are extremists on every side and all of them are bad.

Neogaf as well as social media also did alot to destroy actual discussion of sensitive topics.

As for the shower part. No you just do not go into the bathroom takes your clothes of and take advantage of the situation. Its very different from trying to kiss someone. It is an asshole move for sure. Sexual assault not really though. If could easily become one if he would ignore her wish.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

It used to be a fantastic site but the leadership turned it into a shithole.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#104 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

@oliver8114: What would you consider to be an extreme viewpoint regarding social justice?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#105  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Haven't been to the site in a while. So what's going to happen to NeoGAF?

Oliver8114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Oliver8114

@Willy105 said:

@oliver8114: What would you consider to be an extreme viewpoint regarding social justice?

In regards of Neogaf recent examples. Celebrating vandalism of controversial statues (like Christoph Kolumbus). Celebrating violence and selfjustice against certain people who have right wing views or even normal politicians. Trying to censor public speeches at Universities because you do not agree with his/her opinion. Dogpiling on everyone who does not agree with social justice groups or ideologies/groups like modern Femininsm, BLM, Antifa etc and so on. Big on Neogaf was also shaming, stalking and outing people you do not agree with.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@MirkoS77: I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. Like he took you to New Orleans, y'all were drinking and having a good time. You felt sick and went to take a shower like wtf happened did you tell him you didn't feel good and excused your self, you just get up head to the bathroom what happened. Then did you just leave the bathroom door open, not lock it. What's up, so he comes in naked and gets in the shower and gets shot down and leaves the shower. What's the problem he took a shot got shot down and embarrassed. If I were the chicks boyfriend In the story I would of dumped her ass for accepting an invite to New Orleans with another guy alone. Don't care what happens he didn't take you to New Orleans cause he wasn't interested.

Sounds like a bunch of over reactors and the sensitive echo chamber that is gaf.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

male sexual predators who disguise themselves as feminist are being exposed, great month so far

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Mercenary848: sounds like you never gotten laid if you're complaining of people complaining about SJW's

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Mercenary848: sounds like you never gotten laid if you're complaining of people complaining about SJW's

Is that the extent of your intellect, just say "no you". Get off of it dude, you used to spam this board for a year posting clickbait complaining about fictional sjws. I bet you don't even go outside.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@Mercenary848 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Is that the extent of your intellect, just say "no you". Get off of it dude, you used to spam this board for a year posting clickbait complaining about fictional sjws. I bet you don't even go outside.

So you like making false claims and fallacy arguments on people you don't know or like? Sounds like what an SJW would do!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 FireEmblem_Man

@Jag85 said:

Haven't been to the site in a while. So what's going to happen to NeoGAF?

Probably just rot, Tyler had an offer to sell the site for $10 million and bragged about turning it down. I doubt he'll be able to sell the site at this point.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#113  Edited By ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

It's been a long time coming and I am not sorry to see it burning. Good riddance to a complete echo chamber cesspool.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 FireEmblem_Man

@ironcreed said:

It's been a long time coming and I can't say I'm sorry. Good riddance to a complete echo chamber cesspool.

Welcome back, bro!

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@effec_tor said:
@SOedipus said:

Why am I not surprised?

I am.. they're soo big on social justice.

That's precisely the reason why you shouldn't be surprised.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

@oliver8114: It's true that GAF wasn't a fan of White Supremacy, but if that isn't the right side of history, then I'll probably be dead by then. :P

I understand that some mods were way too strict, my man Stevo didn't deserve his ban. But for some of us, it was nice to be able to post in a forum daily and not receive death or rape threats for being a minority/female.

I have thick skin and I'm used to BS (was here in system wars for years) but it got old you know?

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 ironcreed

@FireEmblem_Man: Hey, thanks. I just had to come back to my old stomping grounds to comment on this fiasco. Tyler let GAF go for years and went ahead and put the final nail in the coffin himself as well. I just can't believe it has taken this long for people to wake up to it. Better late than never, I guess.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 FireEmblem_Man

@ironcreed said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Hey, thanks. I just had to come back to my old stomping grounds to comment on this fiasco. Tyler let GAF go for years and went ahead and put the final nail in the coffin himself as well. I just can't believe it has taken this long for people to wake up to it. Better late than never, I guess.

Yeah! Writing was on the wall on wait he did 5 years ago. I don't know how he could just turn the site into an echo-chamber. He's been a Sony fanboy and has been accused of people talking bad about Sony when they fumbled on the PS3, let alone banned anyone that liked the Wii or bring up my prophet's manifesto, Sean Malstrom's birdman articles. then in 2014, came out out of nowhere being a suppose "champion" for women as he was banning other bringing up the incident in 2012. I guess this time the Mods got fed up with his antics and left.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

That's all they were good for, but I always thought they were overrated. Now these Gaffers are creating conspiracy theories saying that GG is behind the fall of GAF.

I laughed so hard I almost spilled my coffee on the keyboard, the mixture of aimless anger, misplaced desperation, pointless defensiveness and sheer stupidity of that post made my day.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ironcreed

The only thing 'Gamergaters' (normal people) were ever guilty of is telling the truth and calling GAF out on it's bullshit, hypocrisy and cult-like mentality. I guess we can all see who ended up being vindicated and proven right. It's over.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

lol another male feminist.. it keeps happening

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Mercenary848

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

So you like making false claims and fallacy arguments on people you don't know or like? Sounds like what an SJW would do!

Here we go again, and this was the main flaw in YOUR arguments in every sjw thread you, everyone who disagreed with you became a sjw all of a sudden. I equate it to "Everyone who disagrees with me is now xxxx thing that I always complain about". Dude you aren't winning any trophies for calling out sjws, everyone does it these days; I know I damn sure do. But you can't pain with such a broad stroke and say anyone who takes this stance on an issue is xxxx, because that makes you a hypocrite.

And dude, anyone can go through your post history and see all those threads you created. You were a broken record, and still probably are by the way you acted in this thread. Its pathetic, and shows that you havent matured out of that phase of searching for the sjw boogyman that all you internet kids paint people out to be.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 FireEmblem_Man

@Mercenary848: someone's panties is in a hunch! You're right, I have in the past, and so what? I don't care!

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Mercenary848

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Mercenary848: someone's panties is in a hunch! You're right, I have in the past, and so what? I don't care!

My panties are adjusted fine thank you, im just telling the truth.

Of course you care, because you are the saddest creature to ever rear its head on the earth. An internet troll who is both too oblivious to how bad of a troll they are and so pathetic that they try to use trolling/spam to push an agenda because they lack the basic communication skills to do it in a serious discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Thankfully GS don'tve these SJW making life difficult for us rest users. Go Gamespot :)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 FireEmblem_Man

@Mercenary848: LOL! I really don't care, but thanks for trying though, friend :)

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ironcreed

@Mercenary848: Ironically, what you just described is precisely how GAF treated anyone and everyone who did not go along with their narrative lock, stock and barrel. As it happens, their narrative is indeed a radical progressive or 'SJW' one. And if you dared to ever step outside of that box, you were automatically targeted, dog-piled and called an 'alt-right racist' and then outright banned in most cases.

I should know, I was a member there for 6 years before bailing because it got so bad. From what I am seeing, this is the very kind of shit that FireEmblem is pointing out, so I can't say I disagree with him.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ironcreed

Ha, Ha, even Rolling Stone has picked it up:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/neogaf-offline-amidst-sex-assault-allegations-against-owner-w509871

Hilarious.

Oliver8114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Oliver8114

@tagyhag said:

@oliver8114: It's true that GAF wasn't a fan of White Supremacy, but if that isn't the right side of history, then I'll probably be dead by then. :P

I understand that some mods were way too strict, my man Stevo didn't deserve his ban. But for some of us, it was nice to be able to post in a forum daily and not receive death or rape threats for being a minority/female.

I have thick skin and I'm used to BS (was here in system wars for years) but it got old you know?

I am also against White Supremacy or Nazis, rape, threats etc. but I do not think selfjustice and violence (e.g punching) people is the right way to go or should be celebrated. Also the "Right side of History" is a really dangerous phrase IMO. Hitler also thought he was on the right side of history. It is something Dictators, Supremacist or cult leaders would think and say. I believe that there is no real right or wrong but it is far more complex than this. Also let us not forget that history was always written by the winner so even here using history as justification is really bad. World History should be used to analyze not to guilt or judge people.

Neogaf is or was an absolute echo chamber not tolerating much and if you mentioned anything the "wrong" people disagreed with these people went to your past history and searched for statements, opinions or actions they could get you for. As a German I would say they were similar to the STASI. And this also went to the gaming section. They killed a lot of discussion with accusations going after developer, personalities or even board member in very vile ways IMO. To me the "lets celebrate Antifa" threads were actually really scary. In Germany they are on the verge of being official called terrorists and they should not be celebrated at all.

And for the moderation: I do not mind strict moderation but even here mods were guilty of choosing sides a lot of times. I used to browse Neogaf quite a lot because it was the best source for fast gaming news but otherwise i am kind of glad they are hopefully gone now. In these times I can totally understand that people want to find some peaceful and safe places but Neogaf was not such a place. You always had to be careful about your language or expressing your views and I bet many who did not want to lose this "home" suffered greatly because of it.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

If you were a straight white male Republican on neogaf you had a 99% chance of being banned.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ironcreed

@NathanDrakeSwag: Or just a straight, white male period. As for political views, even being a moderate is not tolerated. It became an 'either you are a radical progressive who hates white people, or we don't want you!' echochamber. If you even showed signs of not conforming, then you got dog-piled and banned.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

It's not even been 1 year since Donald Trump won the election and sworn in as the 45th President of the United States of America....

....A lot of NeoGAF members not only hated Trump but didn't think he's last 6 months.... and yet NeoGAF has burnt itself down.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

That site continues to deliver on hypocrisy. Hopefully this means the fall and the end of neogaf as a site. It had become rapidly more and more filled with hate and the amount of support for antifa was pretty disturbing. He let that site get out of control with mods that were clearly biased and would ban anyone who expressed a view outside the hivemind. And he allowed the targeted harassment of users that may have voted for Trump(ones that did were banned of course).

I wouldn't be surprised if a large chunk of users there were on some kind of government watchlist

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 tagyhag

@oliver8114: I completely understand, while I didn't agree with a lot of views in GAF, I think banning them without letting them speak their piece was too harsh. You did also have overzealous mods that were clearly biased. I got banned 3 times by the same mod before he got outed.

I wish the Internet had a forum with a happy balance of respectfulness and freedom, but considering human nature, I don't think we'll see that soon.

Transistor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#135 Transistor
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

@tagyhag: As long as hate speech is the norm on there internet, it will never happen

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@tagyhag: wasn't that endlessbacklog.com?

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@Willy105 said:

I don't know his position but I could tell mine. I consider myself left wing, I'm pro women and minorities rights, I have read about feminism and many of the things I read I can get behind 100%. I think blaming immigrants for problems is short sighted. I'm against generalizations based on people's religious or ethnic backgrounds. I think societies can get richer with more diversity of cultures. I'm in favor of sexual freedom, gay marriage, abortion, etc. My political views could even be regarded as social anarchism because I think humans work better if organized in self-sustained communities but I also acknowledge that in our current reality the state is a necessary evil to keep some sense of order so I can get behind social democratic ideals. I'm against the libertarian notion of the invisible hand of capitalism somehow making sense out of everything and letting society be ruled be greed and personal interest which I think is absurd as we are a social species first and foremost. So yeah I'm pretty leftist but I still think the social justice movements can become similar to what they fight against and in some ways they have.

For example take this book written by a libertarian feminist: https://www.amazon.com/Unwanted-Advances-Sexual-Paranoia-Campus/dp/0062657860

I only read the introduction which is extensive but I agree pretty much 100% with it. It talks about how the PC culture has taken over social justice discourse and how it has become full of drama and people getting offended by everything. It is a way to make victims be treated as children and, therefore, protecting them from real life, challenges, personal growth, etc. Needless to say the author and her supporters have been attacked by many social justice proponents mercilessly to the point that the woman had to quit her position at her University and even sued.

I grew up on a catholic household and went to catholic school. As I child I remember that the catholic tradition made me feel both guilty and scared all the time. Guilty because of my condition as a sinful human being and scared because I was being judged all the time by an all-seeing God on every action I took or even on my thoughts. This facet of religious conservatism made me create antibodies to any type of moralist movement that tries to manipulate people with fear and guilt rather than championing more rewarding venues like reason, debate, consensus and discourse.

I feel the social justice movement in many ways became like this religious fundamentalist moralism. I am supposed to feel guilty now because of my condition as a male and I am supposed to feel scared because society is always watching and judging my behavior and thoughts due to my condition, women are also supposed to live in constant fear and a defensive state because they can get raped at every corner and by everything. Even in private settings like the bedroom, passion and freedom from taboos has to be substituted by extreme carefulness and control because you can end up in jail if your partner suddenly decides that you went too far, even if it all happens after the fact and everything seemed ok at the moment. Worst is for the women victims because they are infantilizing them. Suddenly all the empowerment of women is not about women being responsible and making their own decisions without relying in men but is about society setting a safe space so women never feel threatened, offended, contradicted, etc. In other words they are trying to shield potential victims from living, from making mistakes, from dealing with problems, from growing up. I can't think of anything that could take more power away from victims than making them over-protected inepts.

As long as the social justice movements remain lead by the politically correct crowd as their standard they're going to become more and more ridiculous and extreme to the point of being the other side of the coin of right wing conservative moralist movements.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 tagyhag

@FireEmblem_Man: Heh, EB was good people. But it wasn't enough people.

That's the problem with smaller forums, you have people you get along with, but you don't get the news that you need and some discussions either die or take forever to update.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

So, GS will now return to its former glory!?

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts

Statement never coming.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#141 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

If you were a straight white male Republican on neogaf you had a 99% chance of being banned.

If you were a Nintendo and XBOX fan, you also had a 99% chance of being banned.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#142 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I never had a good feeling about that site.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

If you were a Nintendo and XBOX fan, you also had a 99% chance of being banned.

That place is full of Nintendo fanboys.

Firosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Firosen
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

Oh man, forum wars. This takes me back.

Transistor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Transistor
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

@tagyhag: agreed

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@NathanDrakeSwag: HE'LL NO! They always had a boner for Sony!

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 ironcreed

@EvanTheGamer: Indeed. The problem was never the 'gamers' they hate so much, it is people like Tyler and the radical lunatics that he fostered and allowed to take over his forum. To see such a shithole go down in flames is a win for gaming. As it brought nothing positive to the hobby and in fact caused more harm to it than anything. Even most in the industry came to avoid it like the plague... because IT WAS the plague.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I had issues with GAF, but I would still frequent the board to talk about comics and such.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#149  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I see this discussion will be handled with the grace of a fat bitch on a unicycle. No thanks. Tyler's a douchebag, gaf's mt pious status aside, there was genuinely much better discourse on that forum about games than any other gaming forum by the countriest of country miles. I'm gonna miss threads from cats like spring-loaded or antitrop.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#150 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

I see this discussion will be handled with the grace of a fat bitch on a unicycle. No thanks. Tyler's a douchebag, gaf's mt pious status aside, there was genuinely much better discourse on that forum about games than any other gaming forum by the countriest of country miles. I'm gonna miss threads from cats like spring-loaded or antitrop.

Absolutely, never took part in that other shit, I don't go to gaming forums to talk about politics, gender equality and all that stuff