UPDATE! NeoGAF Owner accused of sexual abuse, site officially back up and statement

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#51 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I know people had issues with Neogaf, but I never did really, never got modded, banned or got into serious trouble. Guess I got lucky.

Transistor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Transistor
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

@mitu123: I never had any issues either. I do feel there were times the mods we're too harsh, but I applauded them for keeping racism and hate speech off of the forum. I've made a family out of many of the people on GAF. If it doesn't survive, I'll be pretty damn depressed.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

Id be surprised if the site got nuked.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@transistor said:

@mitu123: I never had any issues either. I do feel there were times the mods we're too harsh, but I applauded them for keeping racism and hate speech off of the forum. I've made a family out of many of the people on GAF. If it doesn't survive, I'll be pretty damn depressed.

Miiverse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NeoGAF

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#55 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: rip miiverse

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 FireEmblem_Man

@aigis said:

@FireEmblem_Man: rip miiverse

Yes, RIP! MiiVerse was great

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Damn shame what happened to GAF. Despite certain mods/posters in addition to Evilore, there were still some great personalities to be found on GAF and some fantastic threads. I hope he sells NeoGAF to someone worthy of returning it to the glory days. In the meantime, guess I'm posting here.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 FireEmblem_Man

@awptical said:

Damn shame what happened to GAF. Despite certain mods/posters in addition to Evilore, there were still some great personalities to be found on GAF and some fantastic threads. I hope he sells NeoGAF to someone worthy of returning it to the glory days. In the meantime, guess I'm posting here.

Nope, that's why a lot of developers stay away from them

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Gaf used to be a great site for leaks back in the day. But I suppose the ever stricting membership requirements to join and avoid bans, drove people elsewhere.

I wish the best for the Gaf members, who are willing to adapt to other gaming communities. In the search for a new home. Praise for those banned members who stood up. And hope for those involved or affected, to seek the Christ like healing they need to move on.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FireEmblem_Man

@jak42 said:

Gaf used to be a great site for leaks back in the day. But I suppose the ever stricting membership requirements to join and avoid bans, drove people elsewhere.

I wish the best for the Gaf members, who are willing to adapt to other gaming communities. In the search for a new home. Praise for those banned members who stood up. And hope for those involved or affected, to seek the Christ like healing they need to move on.

That's all they were good for, but I always thought they were overrated. Now these Gaffers are creating conspiracy theories saying that GG is behind the fall of GAF.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

GAF has been a sh*thole for years now. That place really does need to die.

The bias and modding were the absolute worst. Bish destroyed any credibility that it might have had, and Amirox burned any chance it had at redemption. This should be the final nail in the coffin, but I'm sure it'll be back up by Monday.

Hopefully with it's destroyed reputation, it will become more and more irrelevant, until it ceases to exist.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Yep, my GAF is going to die unless EvilLore steps down. Most mods have stepped down and every minute he's in charge is another minute it is unlikely to rebound.

With great respect, I really don't want to feel like I have to get my community fix back on GameSpot again. I appreciated the older community over there and I like only posting here sparingly these days. What a mess this has become.

Lots of teams are currently looking to make the next GAF and try to preserve as much of that community as possible. It seems unlikely that a large portion of the user base will remain in tact, but you never know. Lots of potential money on the table right now for whoever manages to do it. EvilLore turned down a $10 million offer to buy GAF some years back. The next GAF is going to set some people up for life. That's a lot of motivation.

@babyjoker1221 said:

The bias and modding were the absolute worst. Bish destroyed any credibility that it might have had, and Amirox burned any chance it had at redemption. This should be the final nail in the coffin, but I'm sure it'll be back up by Monday.

Hopefully with it's destroyed reputation, it will become more and more irrelevant, until it ceases to exist.

Got banned, did ya

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

@babyjoker1221: Even if and when Gaf goes back online. No company will advertise on that site once they get word of what has happened.

@FireEmblem_Man: Well they might as well save their energy.

I know forums have been dying. But NeoGaf takes the cake. One likely true allegation, has effectively destroy a known website and the owner reputation overnight.

brunomaster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 brunomaster15
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

****! just when the Sony-era was starting to end..

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 FireEmblem_Man

@Dreams-Visions said:

Yep, my GAF is going to die unless EvilLore steps down. Most mods have stepped down and every minute he's in charge is another minute it is unlikely to rebound.

With great respect, I really don't want to feel like I have to get my community fix back on GameSpot again. I appreciated the older community over there and I like only posting here sparingly these days. What a mess this has become.

Lots of teams are currently looking to make the next GAF and try to preserve as much of that community as possible. It seems unlikely that a large portion of the user base will remain in tact, but you never know. Lots of potential money on the table right now for whoever manages to do it. EvilLore turned down a $10 million offer to buy GAF some years back. The next GAF is going to set some people up for life. That's a lot of motivation.

@babyjoker1221 said:

Got banned, did ya

What's wrong with GS? No one plays the meta-game anymore.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: I'm basically a nomad now. It's hard to find forums with all the gaming news where the users and admins aren't creeps.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@tagyhag said:

@FireEmblem_Man: I'm basically a nomad now. It's hard to find forums with all the gaming news where the users and admins aren't creeps.

Or a giant echo-chamber! So, you don't hang out with anyone else in Endlessbacklog anymore?

Yeah, them using Polygon as a "great source" is why I never signed up! I mean, labeling Sargon a woman hater and a white supremacist was Lulz. Also, them banning Boogie was a big mistake.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Nothing really to wait on here. His statement will either call her a liar or say he was too drunk and read the situation wrong. Either way, it's a bad look. Now the site has been taken down completely. No salvaging this. Also, in 2012 he said he grabbed some woman's ass hard to show he wouldn't be taken advantage of. Fool me once, etc.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

so is that why neogaf is down for maintenance now

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FireEmblem_Man

@intotheminx said:

Nothing really to wait on here. His statement will either call her a liar or say he was too drunk and read the situation wrong. Either way, it's a bad look. Now the site has been taken down completely. No salvaging this. Also, in 2012 he said he grabbed some woman's ass hard to show he wouldn't be taken advantage of. Fool me once, etc.

Yep, he's not getting off the hook this time. Especially when he sided on women's rights, makes him a huge hypocrite.

SG-17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SG-17
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

All I want is a non-bloated and well moderated forum to talk about games, movies, tv shows, and comics. Is that so hard?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FireEmblem_Man

@SG-17 said:

All I want is a non-bloated and well moderated forum to talk about games, movies, tv shows, and comics. Is that so hard?

Well stay here then!

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

first game trailers went kaboom..... then got banned on neogaf for the most stupid reasoning, at least i have gamespot

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 babyjoker1221

@Dreams-Visions said:

@babyjoker1221 said:

Got banned, did ya

No, I just hated that mods like Bish were on Sony's payroll. I didn't like tue way they moderated the whole place. Free to have your opinion, as long as it aligned with theirs. The fake "leakers" back in 2013/2014 was pretty bad.

The devs and insiders left GAF long ago. Hopefully GAF can go under, so that a new and better forum can take it's place. GS would have to do a lot of work to even be in the running for that. Even then I'm not sure it would qualify.

SG-17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SG-17
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SG-17 said:

Well stay here then!

I don't consume any GameSpot content though, it doesn't really feel right to partake in the forums.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 babyjoker1221

@SG-17 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SG-17 said:

Well stay here then!

I don't consume any GameSpot content though, it doesn't really feel right to partake in the forums.

Nobody is going to take the GS forums even remotely serious as long as system wars exists in it's current form. Too many blatant trolls in there, that will never get banned.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

I never realized that Neogaf was considered a “social justice warrior (nnever heard of the term actually)” forum and that there was a “war” going on with gamergate, but in that general context where you want to have a moral highground a sex scandal (involving alleged sexual harassment) is not what you want from the owner of the site.

neogaf spawned from the gaming age forums... maybe its time to go back.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

One one hand, many of the discussions on Gaf were extremely informative, well argued, and many of the members were in the industry and would provide interesting insight that us measly peons here could never know. On the other hand, it was an extreme echo chamber where you risked getting dog-piled, attacked, and banned if you even so much as breathed opposite the direction of the wind. It was beyond ridiculous and cramping. One thing I've always appreciated and valued about Gamespot, despite its shortcomings, is they're far more lenient in what is allowed. You don't need to agree with any opinion or risk being booted or forever ostracized.

I would prefer Neogaf to stay open as long as Evilore is gone, if for no other reason than to keep a massive influx of those elitist echo chamber twats from flooding these boards thinking that dissenting opinion will not be tolerated and that their elitism and place in the industry (or among those who are) entitles them to treat others like shit. Many of their members need to leave their safe space and come back down to earth.

On a side note, about this woman's story: if Evilore got into the shower behind her naked and she declined him and he didn't force himself on her but backed off.....I'm failing to see how that's sexual assault. I'm not defending Evilore, apparently he has a history of this kind of stuff and sounds like a real piece of work, but to me that's known as an unwanted advance and rejection.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@MirkoS77:You hit the nail on the head.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Good. I love seeing those SJW's lose their safe space.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@MirkoS77: come on youre better than that.

You get consent before you get to nudity. Thats basic.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DocSanchez

@FireEmblem_Man: I only wish gamergate did get it brought down.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Good. I love seeing those SJW's lose their safe space.

Those poor lads, as they're probably desperately clawing for some sort of validation, or foundation to stand on.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MirkoS77

@DocSanchez said:

Do you get consent before taking a gamble and kissing someone out of the blue? Sure it was ballsy and creepy, but he respected her saying no to him and backed off, even if he acted like a douche to her afterwards. I do not think a claim of sexual assault would hold up in a court of law reading her testimony, and that's the term everyone is so easily tossing around here.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@MirkoS77 said:
@DocSanchez said:

Do you get consent before taking a gamble and kissing someone out of the blue? Sure it was ballsy and creepy, but he respected her saying no to him and backed off, even if he acted like a douche to her afterwards. I do not think a claim of sexual assault would hold up in a court of law reading her testimony, and that's the term everyone is so easily tossing around here.

There is a very high expectation of privacy within the confines of a bathroom, and certainly one taking a shower. It's quite the unwanted sexual advance, and clearly illustrates a problematic line of thinking.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@DocSanchez

GG has been effectively dead for years. They can't claim responsiblity for something if they do not exist anymore.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DocSanchez

@MirkoS77: nuditt. Nudity. Is this hard to understand? This is no way comparible to an unwanted kiss.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

@DocSanchez: I really do not understand this whole gamergate thing. from the outside it seems like there was some thing between a female gaming developer and a gaming journalist that got exposed by her ex-boyfriend and the internets started harassing that female dev. on which side was gaf? did they harass the dev? i really didnt give a shit.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MirkoS77

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@DocSanchez said:

There is a very high expectation of privacy within the confines of a bathroom, and certainly one taking a shower. It's quite the unwanted sexual advance, and clearly illustrates a problematic line of thinking.

There is also a very high expectation of privacy within someone's personal space that a kiss invades without consent, yet no one seems to have trouble with that.

Look, I know I'm not winning any favor with my position, all I'm arguing is it doesn't sound like assault to me. I wouldn't make the argument it doesn't constitute harassment, but assault is a very strong term to accuse someone of that carries with it severe legal and personal repercussions when they did nothing more than invaded someone's privacy under mistaken or bold assumption, and in the end backed off when asked to. I agree such assumption demonstrates a problematic line of thinking, but it's also problematic to cavalierly toss around such extreme charges that hold very dire implications of misconduct.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#91 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

and the mods have been accused of pedophilia before. What a mess!

Erhre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92  Edited By Erhre
Member since 2015 • 97 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

About NeoGAF: It's a forum designed for all SJW developers, SJW journalist, and SJW fans come together as a community for discussions.

Fixed.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@DocSanchez said:

There is also a very high expectation of privacy within someone's personal space that a kiss invades without consent, yet no one seems to have trouble with that.

Look, I know I'm not winning any favor with my position, all I'm arguing is it doesn't sound like assault to me. I wouldn't make the argument it doesn't constitute harassment, but assault is a very strong term to accuse someone of that carries with it severe legal and personal repercussions when they did nothing more than invaded someone's privacy under mistaken or bold assumption, and in the end backed off when asked to. I agree such assumption demonstrates a problematic line of thinking, but it's also problematic to cavalierly toss around such extreme terminology that holds very dire implications of misconduct.

Bullshit.

No way you can explain an unwarranted kiss to taking nude photos of someone without their knowledge. You can see a kiss coming and stop it, and if the person keeps trying then that is grounds for a sexual assault suit. If I took pictures of you in a private but very vulnerable position then that is very much sexual assualt whether you are able to stop me or not. Being a peeping tom is very much illegal as you dont know what I will do with those images(maybe use them to get you fired)

Its not about winning favor with your position, its about not being a piece of trash human being.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@erhre said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

About NeoGAF: It's a forum designed for all SJW developers, SJW journalist, and SJW fans come together as a community for discussions.

Fixed.

When people complain about SJW, I know they have never had sex with a women

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DocSanchez

@erhre said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Fixed.

Correct. And it's great to see the place fall.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The irony of how anti-Trump that place is and how they were all losing their minds over him jokingly say he grabs women by the P only for their own founder to be a creepy f*cker that walks in naked on women in the shower.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 babyjoker1221

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The irony of how anti-Trump that place is and how they were all losing their minds over him jokingly say he grabs women by the P only for their own founder to be a creepy f*cker that walks in naked on women in the shower.

That is ironic isn't it. Makes him look hypocrital as hell.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#98 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Bad news is that the users are going to be coming to other forums. Prepare for GS to get flooded with people who can't handle banter.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By MirkoS77

@Mercenary848 said:

Bullshit.

No way you can explain an unwarranted kiss to taking nude photos of someone without their knowledge. You can see a kiss coming and stop it, and if the person keeps trying then that is grounds for a sexual assault suit. If I took pictures of you in a private but very vulnerable position then that is very much sexual assualt whether you are able to stop me or not. Being a peeping tom is very much illegal as you dont know what I will do with those images(maybe use them to get you fired)

Its not about winning favor with your position, its about not being a piece of trash human being.

Do you know something I don't?

Did he take pictures of her nude? Did he press his advance after she turned around and suddenly saw him there and resisted, or instead begrudgingly backed off while acting the piece of shit to her as per her claim? I'm not saying he was right to do as he did, I'm simply arguing I'm hard pressed to qualify it as assault from what I'm reading of her account. You think we should charge this perv the same as those who get charged with rape or molestation because he did this? Is that what's being argued? He didn't document her, and he didn't force her against her will after she asked him to stop and leave. He was a presumptuous douchebag that made a very bold and creepy mistaken assumption by someone he believed was a friend (by her own admission) and obviously thought he saw signals and was going to get some action or I doubt he would've done it (considering he didn't pursue her further against her wishes).

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

It's Sexual Harassment no question.