To Catch a Troll: BBC tracks down internet troll (video)

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
I thought this was interesting. As part of a documentary, BBC tracked down an infamous troll known for posting racist comments on memorial pages for people who have recently died. There is now a Facebook page dedicated (anti-dedicated?) to this person. What do you think, OT? Would this make you think twice before posting offensive anonymous comments on the internet? Or do you think that the BBC is overstepping its bounds by exposing the identity of this man?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I watched that and couldn't stop laughing.

That show has ran out of material

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

so, all the things and messed up things that go on in this world, starving kids, crappy education system and all that but they devout their resources in tracking down a man who probably is just enjoys pissing people off and probably doesn't mean anything by what he says?...

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Engrish_Major

so, all the things and messed up things that go on in this world, starving kids, crappy education system and all that but they devout their resources in tracking down a man who probably is just enjoys pissing people off and probably doesn't mean anything by what he says?...

infinite884
Are you sure that the BBC does not also report on those things?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

infinite884

The show has been going on for over 50 years. They've done lots of stories about those issues.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Another example of the fine English dictatorship cracking down on free speech.

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 infinite884

yeah i'm familiar with BBC they run some good programs and stories but i'm still baffled as to why they would use their time and energy and funds to document tracking a troll, what is this going to accomplish besides probably ruining this guy's life. He's probably an a**hole but he has the right to say whatever he wants, i seen people say way worse things online and i don't see them getting tracked down. It must be a very slow week at the office

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Engrish_Major

TheFallenDemon
Not sure I understand. The BBC is independent from the government. Wouldn't free speech dictate that the BBC is allowed to perform these actions?
muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

TheFallenDemon

Part for free Speech or a free socity is being held accountable able for what you say and taking reponsibilty for your actions. No one is stopping him from posting these things they are just asking him to justify it.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

This guy is not a real troll. He's a flamer.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

Bad thing is the troll really didn't seem to care. Better questions could have been asked too.

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 infinite884

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

muffin200

Part for free Speech or a free socity is being held accountable able for what you say and taking reponsibilty for your actions. No one is stopping him from posting these things they are just asking him to justify it.

who cares, you think he's the only one who goes to sites and writes things because it gets under peoples skin? This guy doesn't deserve to have his life ruined because of what he said over the internet if thats the case then we all deserve news reporters tracking us down and exposing our lives and names because i'm sure at one point we all trolled.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Not at all. It's perfectly acceptable for a news organization to out a sh*tty human being. Just like it's perfectly fine for the denizens of OT to out a pedophile.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

that troll was hardcore.

edit: that was really a useless attempt on the part of the BBC. What did they expect to happen? For him to repent and give up his trolling ways?

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 infinite884

Not at all. It's perfectly acceptable for a news organization to out a sh*tty human being. Just like it's perfectly fine for the denizens of OT to out a pedophile.

airshocker
2 different things, the guy was just saying things to piss people off, he was enjoying making people mad, other then that he did no harm to anybody except people who don't have thick skins and who can't just ignore his posts. You can't seriously say its the same as being a pedophile.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

This guy is not a real troll. He's a flamer.

The_Capitalist

Yeah, I think the term troll has changed from a few years ago. It used to be more trickery than anything else.

An example could be someone going onto the Steam Powered User Forums and posting a fake email comfirming the existence of Half Life 3. That would be a pretty obvious troll, but a still a troll.

Now people seem to think "They said something annoying that I didn't like, they must be a troll." I think that is an incorrect use of the word.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

2 different things, the guy was just saying things to piss people off, he was enjoying making people mad, other then that he did no harm to anybody except people who don't have thick skins and who can't just ignore his posts. You can't seriously say its the same as being a pedophile.infinite884

The BBC did no harm by exposing this individual. I fail to see the issue.

I didn't say it was the same thing as being a pedophile. Perhaps you should reread what I actually said.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#18 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I think he accidentally trolled the BBC by having them waste time on this.

aprioristic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aprioristic
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
I did not agree with the BBC reporters arguement. Does the law, general consensus, or his contemporary obligation to the BBC necessarily define the truth reliability of normative assertions. If you attempting suicide over social refutation, such as being 'trolled' by text, should you subject yourself to such a social environment? As for the "troll", any physical truama is indirect harm. Opinions are acknowledged to be subjective beliefs, are subjective beliefs harmful? If the consequent conditions are direct harm, yes. However, this arguementation is moral philosophy, unless you contradictingly cogent such values in politics and law. It is a self refuting concept. I simply believe in causation.
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

TheFallenDemon
Sadly "Free Speech" is only Free when it's not offensive to others. So it's still wrong to go up to Obama and call him the N-word.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
Loads of people do that. What a stupid report. Probably got the oldies up in arms I guess.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

Bad thing is the troll really didn't seem to care. Better questions could have been asked too.

ScreamDream
Better ways of trolling him could have been made
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

jesuschristmonk
Sadly "Free Speech" is only Free when it's not offensive to others. So it's still wrong to go up to Obama and call him the N-word.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US you are free to do so. Not that I would recommend it though.
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 infinite884

[QUOTE="infinite884"]2 different things, the guy was just saying things to piss people off, he was enjoying making people mad, other then that he did no harm to anybody except people who don't have thick skins and who can't just ignore his posts. You can't seriously say its the same as being a pedophile.airshocker

The BBC did no harm by exposing this individual. I fail to see the issue.

I didn't say it was the same thing as being a pedophile. Perhaps you should reread what I actually said.

they probably destroyed the guys life, they put his name out there and you know how the internet beehive mind acts
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 infinite884
[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

jesuschristmonk

you can walk up to Obama and do that just be prepared to have the Secret Service beat the s*** out of you
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

jesuschristmonk

^ This.

lololo but it's indnepnedent form the guvrnment so that meens they cn do whatevs they wants lolz.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

toast_burner
True, the BBC has a tendency of doing this, especially with tech stories. It seems they're scared of new media taking their audience.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 markop2003
[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

jesuschristmonk

In the UK racism can come under hate speech which is not protected. This does not apply in the US.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 markop2003
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

infinite884
2 different things, the guy was just saying things to piss people off, he was enjoying making people mad, other then that he did no harm to anybody except people who don't have thick skins and who can't just ignore his posts. You can't seriously say its the same as being a pedophile.

They didn't expose him as anything he wasn't, he was a troll and they exposed him as a troll. It really isn't that different to how the tabloids treat celebs.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
In a society with free speech, you can say what you want to say, but free speech doesn't mean you are free from being held accountable for it. Sharing his name on TV may have been going too far though, anonymous is probably going to turn his life inside and out. Hope he didn't pay any bills online. Just putting his face on TV would have been enough, as his family and friends would have known, and that shame would have been justice enough. This will simply have to do until we can develop the technology to punch people over the internet. (in which case he would be toothless and deformed)
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jabby250

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

Engrish_Major

Not sure I understand. The BBC is independent from the government. Wouldn't free speech dictate that the BBC is allowed to perform these actions?

They shouldn't have the right to film him unless he's okay with it.

I mean, I'm all for fighting the righteous fight against internet trolls, huehuehehue....

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jabby250

[QUOTE="infinite884"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

markop2003

They didn't expose him as anything he wasn't, he was a troll and they exposed him as a troll. It really isn't that different to how the tabloids treat celebs.

That's why if you've got any sense, you'd be against that too.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

Jabby250

I mean, I'm all for fighting the righteous fight against internet trolls, huehuehehue....

Anyone can film in a public place. You have no expectation of privacy while outside of your home.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jabby250

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] Not sure I understand. The BBC is independent from the government. Wouldn't free speech dictate that the BBC is allowed to perform these actions?Engrish_Major

Anyone can film in a public place. You have no expectation of privacy while outside of your home.

Well, actually I quite easily do. It's right here, upstairs.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 markop2003
anonymous is probably going to turn his life inside and out. Randolph
:lol: Why the hell would they do that? Anon promote free speech, they are the original big troll group
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I lol'd, what a douche. The FB page is hilarious though. Ignore the troll is the best thing you can do with these people.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 markop2003

[QUOTE="markop2003"] They didn't expose him as anything he wasn't, he was a troll and they exposed him as a troll. It really isn't that different to how the tabloids treat celebs.Jabby250

I can't say i'm a huge fan of it, i'm just saying that this case is far from unique.

Jabby250
I don't think CCTV would work in that situation....
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jabby250

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

markop2003

I can't say i'm a huge fan of it, i'm just saying that this case is far from unique.

Jabby250

I don't think CCTV would work in that situation....

I'm obviously referring to singling out certain people or groups of individuals (and making such information public, especially if it's for entertainment purposes or to generate controversy and such). If it's a crime suspect I'd understand exceptions being made. Even then I'm usually against harassment from journalists.

If the end-scope is clearly productive (gathering attention or support for something, filming when you believe a crime's about to be committed) -- well, I find it quite easy to separate the good from the bad in this case.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

I'm obviously referring to singling out certain people or groups of individuals (and making such information public, especially if it's for entertainment purposes or to generate controversy and such). If it's a crime suspect I'd understand exceptions being made. Even then I'm usually against harassment from journalists.

If the end-scope is clearly productive (gathering attention or support for something, filming when you believe a crime's about to be committed) -- well, I find it quite easy to separate the good from the bad in this case.

Was that your first time watching Panomara?

Seriously, anyone who uses 'free speech' to propergate thier own racist agendas, doesnt deserve to have it.

aprioristic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aprioristic
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
Did anyone notice at the end of the video: "An internet troll, that's what they look like". Is this relative to the prejudice in racism? What of other individuals that look like a "troll"? I personally interpreted it as 'pejorative'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

they probably destroyed the guys life, they put his name out there and you know how the internet beehive mind actsinfinite884

It actually seemed like he didn't really care that much.

Again, I don't see the issue here.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

They should have beat him up and pissed on him

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

markop2003
True, the BBC has a tendency of doing this, especially with tech stories. It seems they're scared of new media taking their audience.

But the things they're doing stories on... well, as it's been said this guy technically isn't even a "Troll" BBC doesn't know 1.) what a troll is. 2.) that there's nothing illegal about trolling/flaming. 3.) how to interview a troll. Was i supposed to get anything else out of that video?
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

I think the BBC violated the guy's privacy by tracking him down. I can't really say I feel bad for him, though. That's what you get for being a moron online. And apparently he's an assh*le in real life, too, so there goes what little sympathy I might have left for the guy.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
Are you idiots seriously defending this guy? I wish they would expose these people more often and completely abolish the anonymity of the internet. What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...BrianB0422
no ****. Quit oppressing our free speech
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

Are you idiots seriously defending this guy? I wish they would expose these people more often and completely abolish the anonymity of the internet. What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...BrianB0422

If it bothers you so much, why not start "completely abolishing" the anonimity of the internet yourself? How about a real name? Or an adress?

People are idiots online, deal with it.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrianB0422
[QUOTE="BrianB0422"] What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...Nibroc420
no ****. Quit oppressing our free speech

How is this oppressing your free speech? You're still free to say whatever you want but don't get pissed when someone comes and shoves a camera in your face asking you to explain yourself. Works both ways people.
BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrianB0422

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Are you idiots seriously defending this guy? I wish they would expose these people more often and completely abolish the anonymity of the internet. What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...black_cat19

If it bothers you so much, why not start "completely abolishing" the anonimity of the internet yourself? How about a real name? Or an adress?

People are idiots online, deal with it.

If you would like to come visit me I will PM you my address.

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 infinite884

[QUOTE="infinite884"]they probably destroyed the guys life, they put his name out there and you know how the internet beehive mind actsairshocker

It actually seemed like he didn't really care that much.

Again, I don't see the issue here.

How would you feel if you just trolled a site and then the news showed up to your door steps the next day, putting your name and your face out for the world to see. If the "site that shall not be named" had members who were bored and saw your face on the news for trolling you can be sure they will get a hold of your phone number, your address, who your family is, either way the news report is silly and it seems this would be a Onion article then a BBC one