To Catch a Troll: BBC tracks down internet troll (video)

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Klopono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Klopono
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts
Would this make you think twice before posting offensive anonymous comments on the internet?Engrish_Major
As paranoid as I am, I don't say anything nearly as awful as the guy in the video.
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="infinite884"]they probably destroyed the guys life, they put his name out there and you know how the internet beehive mind actsinfinite884

It actually seemed like he didn't really care that much.

Again, I don't see the issue here.

How would you feel if you just trolled a site and then the news showed up to your door steps the next day, putting your name and your face out for the world to see. If the "site that shall not be named" had members who were bored and saw your face on the news for trolling you can be sure they will get a hold of your phone number, your address, who your family is, either way the news report is silly and it seems this would be a Onion article then a BBC one

I tend to behave online pretty similar to how I behave in real life - that is to not be an a'hole.
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

[QUOTE="infinite884"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

It actually seemed like he didn't really care that much.

Again, I don't see the issue here.

Crunchy_Nuts

How would you feel if you just trolled a site and then the news showed up to your door steps the next day, putting your name and your face out for the world to see. If the "site that shall not be named" had members who were bored and saw your face on the news for trolling you can be sure they will get a hold of your phone number, your address, who your family is, either way the news report is silly and it seems this would be a Onion article then a BBC one

I tend to behave online pretty similar to how I behave in real life - that is to not be an a'hole.

maybe the guy was an a**hole in real life but he didn't harm anybody or threatened anyone and he did what alot of people do every day on the web yet he's hounded down like he commited a murder or something. I'm not defending the guy, i'm just criticizing the stupid waste of time BBC put into this like this going to change anything.

DarthTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DarthTuna
Member since 2011 • 707 Posts

if you make a documentry about the troll....the troll wins

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Crunchy_Nuts

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"][QUOTE="infinite884"] How would you feel if you just trolled a site and then the news showed up to your door steps the next day, putting your name and your face out for the world to see. If the "site that shall not be named" had members who were bored and saw your face on the news for trolling you can be sure they will get a hold of your phone number, your address, who your family is, either way the news report is silly and it seems this would be a Onion article then a BBC one

infinite884

maybe the guy was an a**hole in real life but he didn't harm anybody or threatened anyone and he did what alot of people do every day on the web yet he's treated like he's hounded down like he commited a murder or something. I'm not defending the guy, i'm just criticizing the stupid waste of time BBC put into this like this going to change anything.

Maybe he didn't harm or threaten anybody (I'm sure the victims would say otherwise). The fact is he was an a'hole and got called out on it, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. They didn't portray him as anything more than he was.
black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

[QUOTE="black_cat19"]

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Are you idiots seriously defending this guy? I wish they would expose these people more often and completely abolish the anonymity of the internet. What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...BrianB0422

If it bothers you so much, why not start "completely abolishing" the anonimity of the internet yourself? How about a real name? Or an adress?

People are idiots online, deal with it.

Brian Bucek 4/22/87 Pittsburgh, PA If you would like to come visit me I will PM you my address.

Well, I'm impressed. Sadly, I'm not from the US, so that won't be possible.

Anyway, the way I see it trolling -whether we like it or not- is protected under free speech. No one has the right to not be offended, because freedom of expression supercedes that. The best course of action when one encounters morons online is to just ignore them, and if you genuinely feel offended by something some jackass posted on the internet, perhaps you just need to grow thicker skin.

infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

[QUOTE="infinite884"]

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"] I tend to behave online pretty similar to how I behave in real life - that is to not be an a'hole.Crunchy_Nuts

maybe the guy was an a**hole in real life but he didn't harm anybody or threatened anyone and he did what alot of people do every day on the web yet he's treated like he's hounded down like he commited a murder or something. I'm not defending the guy, i'm just criticizing the stupid waste of time BBC put into this like this going to change anything.

Maybe he didn't harm or threaten anybody (I'm sure the victims would say otherwise). The fact is he was an a'hole and got called out on it, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. They didn't portray him as anything more than he was.

so you rather have the news to track down trolls on the internet then to actually report on serious issues around the world?...okay then

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

Well, I'm impressed. Sadly, I'm not from the US, so that won't be possible.

Anyway, the way I see it trolling -whether we like it or not- is protected under free speech. No one has the right to not be offended, because freedom of expression supercedes that. The best course of action when one encounters morons online is to just ignore them, and if you genuinely feel offended by something some jackass posted on the internet, perhaps you just need to grow thicker skin.

black_cat19
FWIW, I don't believe hate speech is protected speech in the UK.
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Crunchy_Nuts

[QUOTE="Crunchy_Nuts"][QUOTE="infinite884"] maybe the guy was an a**hole in real life but he didn't harm anybody or threatened anyone and he did what alot of people do every day on the web yet he's treated like he's hounded down like he commited a murder or something. I'm not defending the guy, i'm just criticizing the stupid waste of time BBC put into this like this going to change anything.

infinite884

so you rather have the news to track down trolls on the internet then to actually report on serious issues around the world?...okay then

Why would such a huge organisation like the BBC choose one over the other when they clearly have the resources needed to do both. There's only so many times they could cover the same story again and again.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#60 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

"...so that's an internet troll, that's what they look like."

:lol:

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I wonder if he's shown up on GameSpot. :o
TChaivong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 TChaivong
Member since 2004 • 3693 Posts

Trolls are serious bizz now >_>

EDIT: I'm a troll hunter and will gladly hunt trolls for you, for a fee >_>........

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
I love the part where the reporter said "There you go, internet trolls, that's what they look like.":lol:
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

That was...stupid. :?

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#65 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
they wasted a lot of time and money for all of this?
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
When did trolling changefrom a subtle form of humor to flaming and hate speech?
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

That show has ran out of material

toast_burner

Came here to say that. How ridiculous.

LostVoyager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LostVoyager
Member since 2012 • 385 Posts
When did trolling changefrom a subtle form of humor to flaming and hate speech?stanleycup98
"Trolling" is not really funny at all, and if you use offensive words like that to someone who just died how is that a "subtle form of humour? I say lock the bloke up and good riddance.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="black_cat19"]

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Are you idiots seriously defending this guy? I wish they would expose these people more often and completely abolish the anonymity of the internet. What other part of life lets you have diarrhea of the mouth and have no repercussions? Not one...BrianB0422

If it bothers you so much, why not start "completely abolishing" the anonimity of the internet yourself? How about a real name? Or an adress?

People are idiots online, deal with it.

Brian Bucek 4/22/87 Pittsburgh, PA If you would like to come visit me I will PM you my address.

Do you still live with your parents? It looks like it would a squeeze to fit all the cars on that small drive...

Also i just reminded how out of practice my doxing is....

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="stanleycup98"]When did trolling changefrom a subtle form of humor to flaming and hate speech?LostVoyager
"Trolling" is not really funny at all, and if you use offensive words like that to someone who just died how is that a "subtle form of humour? I say lock the bloke up and good riddance.

Are you an idiot? Do you even know what a troll is? Do you know HOW to troll? or what kind of posts they make? Trolling =/= Flaming and hate speech. He's broken no laws.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Trolling is an internet term. Please, for the love of god don't use it in real life, it sounds stupid and childish.
"and now, we are going to track down and meet with the troll"
No. Just no. This is a serious documentary, troll is internet slang. No.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
not a troll just a racist and really a dark parking lot informant scene?
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

infinite884

I would deserve it completely.

I don't troll, so I don't have anything to worry about.

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

What a cock farmer.

Posts **** comments about people he doesn't even know and gets all defensive when he's called out on it. They should've informed all the people of whom he posted these nasty messages on and told them where he lived.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 HFkami
Member since 2009 • 855 Posts
bbc is a racist channel who promotes hatred for majorities
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

so wrong,this reaction is far from being appropriate to the guy's action. while quite funny the guy will probably pay way more than he deserve for this.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#77 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
That's interesting.
Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
after seeing this and reading all of these posts I figure there's no hope for the human race
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

I believe that he can earn quite a bit of money when he files a lawsuit. Congratz to him, earning money on trolling

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I believe that he can earn quite a bit of money when he files a lawsuit. Congratz to him, earning money on trolling

rastotm
He's got no lawsuit.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

They sure showed him! Trolls all over the world are now trembling behind their keyboards.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
As long as they didn't use their heft to get his information in unscrupulous ways, I'm all for it. Facebook is an open forum like society is an open forum.