This is what I don't get about the whole **** marriage thing...

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

This just always seemed blown up to me. This is in no way even close to segregation in the sixties. We had "separate but equal" back then, but things actually weren't equal. I believe that would be a different case if gays were to fight for equal rights through civil unions. It's legal rights and benefits on paper. They're not using different water fountains.

Ontain

but it is just like the water fountains. like it said in my example. if there were 2 identical fountains using the same water and right next to each either but one labeled Colored and the other labeled White would that be okay? i mean they are identical right? anyway it's moot since they don't offer the same rights and are different for each state. which is not the case with marriage.

Actually no. Blacks usually got the short end of the stick on that deal. I don't see it happening with civil unions if the rights were fought for through them.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 LikeHaterade

Things weren't actually equal because things were separate.

Theokhoth

I think that things weren't actually equal because white people hated black people.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

LikeHaterade

I think that things weren't actually equal because white people hated black people.

LOL.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

The intentions behind it are the same.

Just because the effects of that discrimination are not as severe and inhumane as they were with blacks doesnt mean homosexuals should settle with that thought.

LikeHaterade

I don't think the intentions are the same. Society is not accepting homosexual marriage primarily due to their religious beliefs. Not blind hate.

And how do you know that the religious beliefs arent just a title of justification for bigotry for many of those who oppose it.

The cause of the discrimination is the same: people come in contact and encounter things that go against the norm they were handed in ever since they were children and that founds them unable to cope with it and adjust. That goes both for blacks and gays.

People back then where used to living in a society where blacks were the slaves that were socially lesser and now people have lived in societies where gays are thought off largely as perverted/diseased/unnatural/abnormal etc.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Just because the effects of that discrimination are not as severe and inhumane as they were with blacks doesnt mean homosexuals should settle with that thought.

LikeHaterade

I don't think the intentions are the same. Society is not accepting homosexual marriage primarily due to their religious beliefs. Not blind hate.

OK, that's a distinction I have trouble with. I don't think segregation supporters of the 60's would have characterized themselves as having been motivated by hate. Indeed, even today, some latter-day segregationists use religious beliefs to justify their racial beliefs, such as the World Church of the Creator.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

LikeHaterade

Hence the "Separate." Do you honestly think there are noble roots in segregation?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#107 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

LikeHaterade

You know I hate to argue/disagree with you on here B, but my only comment on this is: Was it hate, or fear that a change would change the balance of "order" whites were used to? Is this not basically the exact same thing going on now. My two cents.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Actually no. Blacks usually got the short end of the stick on that deal. I don't see it happening with civil unions if the rights were fought for through them.

LikeHaterade

you don't see it

http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/wedding/a/unionvmarriage.htm

but there it is.

they aren't equal. you ask the hypothetical of if they were equal what's in a name. well then i gave the hypothetical of identical fountains with only the labels being different. same thing.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LikeHaterade

And how do you know that the religious beliefs arent just a title of justification for bigotry for many of those who oppose it.

The cause of the discrimination is the same: people come in contact and encounter things that go against the norm they were handed in ever since they were children and that founds them unable to cope with it and adjust. That goes both for blacks and gays.

People back then where used to living in a society where blacks were the slaves that were socially lesser and now people have lived in societies where gays are thought off largely as perverted/diseased/unnatural/abnormal etc.

Teenaged

While obviously there are those that reject gay marriage due to their hate for homosexuals, I believe that number far outweighs those that are either morally against it or because it goes against their religion. Back then, lifestyles and views were built upon the slavery zeitgeist, causing blind hate in future generations. Over 80% of the US is Christian, and it's right there on paper for most of them. Not because they hate anybody.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

xaos

OK, that's a distinction I have trouble with. I don't think segregation supporters of the 60's would have characterized themselves as having been motivated by hate. Indeed, even today, some latter-day segregationists use religious beliefs to justify their racial beliefs, such as the World Church of the Creator.

Based on videos and documentaries I've seen on the 60's and segregation, I disagree. The hate was everywhere.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LikeHaterade

While obviously there are those that reject gay marriage due to their hate for homosexuals, I believe that number far outweighs those that are either morally against it or because it goes against their religion. Back then, lifestyles and views were built upon the slavery zeitgeist, causing blind hate in future generations. Over 80% of the US is Christian, and it's right there on paper for most of them. Not because they hate anybody.

I cant tell if they hate it but 9/10 people I have spoken to that reject homosexuality they are repulsed by it and find it disgusting. Those also are very aggressive and bigoted when expressing their views.

Just because religion was the thing that solidified that attitude towards gays doesnt mean that it somehow "sanctifies" the objection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LikeHaterade

Based on videos and documentaries I've seen on the 60's and segregation, I disagree. The hate was everywhere.

I wonder what the perspective will be like when documentaries are made on this era 40 years from now :) I don't see how it can be argued that me and my partner being in love and that being called immoral and a sin is not hateful/
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LikeHaterade

You know I hate to argue/disagree with you on here B, but my only comment on this is: Was it hate, or fear that a change would change the balance of "order" whites were used to? Is this not basically the exact same thing going on now. My two cents.btaylor2404

Ha! I always take your views serious and too heart Bryan. Wasn't it peace that really changed it? I'm referring to Martin Luther King Jr. when I talk about "peace."

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Ontain

LikeHaterade

i don't see why you think hate and religious beliefs are mutually exclusive. religious beliefs have been known to foster hate for ages. heck Bin Laden is using it against us today.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

Ontain

you don't see it

http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/wedding/a/unionvmarriage.htm

but there it is.

they aren't equal. you ask the hypothetical of if they were equal what's in a name. well then i gave the hypothetical of identical fountains with only the labels being different. same thing.

I was saying that hypothetically, if gays were to fight for equal rights through civil unions. I hear society say no to gay marriage, but not civil unions that match every right as gay marriage. I'm aware that they currently are not equal.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Ontain

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]You know I hate to argue/disagree with you on here B, but my only comment on this is: Was it hate, or fear that a change would change the balance of "order" whites were used to? Is this not basically the exact same thing going on now. My two cents.LikeHaterade

Ha! I always take your views serious and too heart Bryan. Wasn't it peace that really changed it? I'm referring to Martin Luther King Jr. when I talk about "peace."

peaceful protest. you don't get the result without the protest part.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 LikeHaterade

I cant tell if they hate it but 9/10 people I have spoken to that reject homosexuality they are repulsed by it and find it disgusting. Those also are very aggressive and bigoted when expressing their views.

Just because religion was the thing that solidified that attitude towards gays doesnt mean that it somehow "sanctifies" the objection.

Teenaged

I'm not saying it sanctifies it, but it does make it different from the 60's. It doesn't make it mutually exclusive to hate either. I'm just expressing my opinion based on my personal experiences with those that are against gay marriage.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Considering civil unions DO NOT have all the same rights as a marriage the gay community has every right to be ticked and to be trying to get THEIR RIGHTS.

It is stupid to me that it hasn't just been legalized. Guess what couples? YOU RELATIONSHIP IS NOT SPECIAL! Sorry, it is the truth. Gay couples are just as capable of having good relationships as hetero couples and as a straight man myself it really angers me how freaking arrogant people get in this regard trying to act like gay relationships are below theirs.

There is NO REASON why a gay couple should go through and build a life together, only to have one of them suddenly die and then the surviving member of the couple be left with NOTHING as their union was never legally established thanks to ignorant and outdated thinking. I can't believe people think it is right to let this crap happen....

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LikeHaterade

I wonder what the perspective will be like when documentaries are made on this era 40 years from now :) I don't see how it can be argued that me and my partner being in love and that being called immoral and a sin is not hateful/xaos

While many might not actually hate you that believe this, I do see your point.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#121 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

I was saying that hypothetically, if gays were to fight for equal rights through civil unions. I hear society say no to gay marriage, but not civil unions that match every right as gay marriage. I'm aware that they currently are not equal.

LikeHaterade
Domestic partnership != civil union != marriage They are not all synonyms for the same thing, they are all different. Also, concerning homosexual relationships, not all of those are supported legally in many states.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#122 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

Considering civil unions DO NOT have all the same rights as a marriage the gay community has every right to be ticked and to be trying to get THEIR RIGHTS.

It is stupid to me that it hasn't just been legalized. Guess what couples? YOU RELATIONSHIP IS NOT SPECIAL! Sorry, it is the truth. Gay couples are just as capable of having good relationships as hetero couples and as a straight man myself it really angers me how freaking arrogant people get in this regard trying to act like gay relationships are below theirs.

There is NO REASON why a gay couple should go through and build a life together, only to have one of them suddenly die and then the surviving member of the couple be left with NOTHING as their union was never legally established thanks to ignorant and outdated thinking. I can't believe people think it is right to let this crap happen....

LostProphetFLCL
No reason; aside from the majority not wanting it, which in this country is enough.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

spazzx625

Domestic partnership != civil union != marriage They are not all synonyms for the same thing, they are all different. Also, concerning homosexual relationships, not all of those are supported legally in many states.

They're different only if you make them out to be IMO.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LikeHaterade

I'm not saying it sanctifies it, but it does make it different from the 60's. It doesn't make it mutually exclusive to hate either. I'm just expressing my opinion based on my personal experiences with those that are against gay marriage.

The basic outlining I did though stands. That is the reason that fuels this intolerance.

Religion does nothing but express opinions humanity already has. What is actually happening is people are using the opinions of humanity that were the norm some hundred or even thousands of years ago -which opinions got a free ticket in time through religion- to justify their clingin on to those opinions even now.

Just because religion helped those opinions survive doesnt mean in any way that they are free from hate or bigotry.

And like I said before just because the consequences of the discrimination are not as severe and inhumane as they were with blacks doesnt mean that the analogy is invalid or that homosexuals should settle with that thought.

As humanity advances the standards are rising. What was considered cruel back then now is considered monstrous, what was considered just bad back then, now is considered cruel, what was considered not a big deal back then now is a big deal etc.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts
I think 'marriage' and 'civil unionship' mean the same thing, so to me they are the same.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 spazzx625

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LikeHaterade

No, they are literally different things. Link People just use the terms interchangeably, but wrongly.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Teenaged

I think 'marriage' and 'civil unionship' mean the same thing, so to me they are the same.get-ka12
Since they are the same then where is the problem for someone to use whichever term they wish?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"] Domestic partnership != civil union != marriage They are not all synonyms for the same thing, they are all different. Also, concerning homosexual relationships, not all of those are supported legally in many states.spazzx625

No, they are literally different things. Link People just use the terms interchangeably, but wrongly.

But that is the current arrangement. What if it did indeed mean the same thing?
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Vandalvideo

No reason; aside from the majority not wanting it, which in this country is enough.

OK and at a point in history a majority did not want women or minorities to have rights.

This is a case where our justice system is suppossed to grow a pair of balls and pass legislation to fix this lack of equality. This is why we have such checks and balances set into our government.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="get-ka12"]I think 'marriage' and 'civil unionship' mean the same thing, so to me they are the same.Teenaged

Since they are the same then where is the problem for someone to use whichever term they wish?

Because marriage is a religious thing, and most religions don't recognize marriage as something between a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

It's not a marriage, a marriage is between a man and a woman. You should just be happy with it being called civil union.

Let the law happen, the legalization of civil unions, THEN protest to change the name from "civil union" to "marriage."

Some people want too much at once.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

[QUOTE="get-ka12"]I think 'marriage' and 'civil unionship' mean the same thing, so to me they are the same.Teenaged

If I were in a civil union, I'd call it a marriage. Two syllables > Four.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Vandalvideo
OK and at a point in history a majority did not want women or minorities to have rights.This is a case where our justice system is suppossed to grow a pair of balls and pass legislation to fix this lack of equality. This is why we have such checks and balances set into our government.LostProphetFLCL
The justice system can only do so as long as the law allows it. If you get a strong enough majority, you can rewrite the constitution. Nothing is inviolable in our law. Majority is the ultimate decider.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 spazzx625
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] But that is the current arrangement. What if it did indeed mean the same thing?

Yeah, that's kind of the problem with this thread, some people are talking hypotheticals, some are talking present day... If they were simply synonyms I don't think it would matter since they could be used interchangeably, but if homosexuals were strictly forced into civil unions and it was not allowed to be called marriage it would be segregation. I don't really know. I wasn't married in a church, so does that make my marriage a civil union?
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#134 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. LJS9502_basic
Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?

Yes , but religious institutions clean their hands from the subject, now that they cant prevent it.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LikeHaterade

The basic outlining I did though stands. That is the reason that fuels this intolerance.

Religion does nothing but express opinions humanity already has. What is actually happening is people are using the opinions of humanity that were the norm some hundred or even thousands of years ago -which opinions got a free ticket in time through religion- to justify their clingin on to those opinions even now.

Just because religion helped those opinions survive doesnt mean in any way that they are free from hate or bigotry.

And like I said before just because the consequences of the discrimination are not as severe and inhumane as they were with blacks doesnt mean that the analogy is invalid or that homosexuals should settle with that thought.

As humanity advances the standards are rising. What was considered cruel back then now is considered monstrous, what was considered just bad back then, now is considered cruel, what was considered not a big deal back then now is a big deal etc.

Teenaged

You're speaking on religion as if it's beliefs consist in only a book and it's all just words. Millions attest to their lives being changed, and religion helping them with problems in their lives. Those that are against it due to their religious beliefs doesn't mean they hate homosexuals. You're generalizing every religious person. The concept "separate but equal" didn't even apply them. That entire concept has never even existed, and I can see why seeing as how whites hated blacks back then, which is different in terms of gay marriage now.

Anyways, I enjoyed our discussion you guys but I have to go to work now. If this thread is still up when I get home, then we can talk about it some more. Otherwise, I probably would have forgotten about it eight hours from now. Ya'll have a good day. =p

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Ontain
[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]OK and at a point in history a majority did not want women or minorities to have rights.This is a case where our justice system is suppossed to grow a pair of balls and pass legislation to fix this lack of equality. This is why we have such checks and balances set into our government.Vandalvideo
The justice system can only do so as long as the law allows it. If you get a strong enough majority, you can rewrite the constitution. Nothing is inviolable in our law. Majority is the ultimate decider.

they could interpret the Equal Protection Clause to include gay marriage though.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Ontain"] they could interpret the Equal Protection Clause to include gay marriage though.

They would be battling against a mountain of precedent if they wanted to do that. It would go against all previous judicial precedent. But even then, like I said, majority could change the Constitution. Pragmatically speaking, the equal protection clause will never be used.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 194197844077667059316682358889
Pragmatically speaking, the equal protection clause will never be used.Vandalvideo
What do you mean? It was used as the principal argument in Brown v. Board of Education...
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Pragmatically speaking, the equal protection clause will never be used.xaos
What do you mean? It was used as the principal argument in Brown v. Board of Education...

As a means to argue against homosexual discrimination. Kennedy practically killed that argument back in Lawrence v. Texas.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Ontain
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Pragmatically speaking, the equal protection clause will never be used.xaos

it was used to end laws against inter racial marriages as well. but this current make up of judges seem unlikely to use it this way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Pragmatically speaking, the equal protection clause will never be used.Vandalvideo

As a means to argue against homosexual discrimination. Kennedy practically killed that argument back in Lawrence v. Texas.

Oh gotcha; yeah, the current Supremes will never regard homosexuals as a protected class. Full Faith and Credit seems like a better tact to me.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="get-ka12"]I think 'marriage' and 'civil unionship' mean the same thing, so to me they are the same.get-ka12

Because marriage is a religious thing, and most religions don't recognize marriage as something between a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

It's not a marriage, a marriage is between a man and a woman. You should just be happy with it being called civil union.

Let the law happen, the legalization of civil unions, THEN protest to change the name from "civil union" to "marriage."

Some people want too much at once.

You seem undecided.

Is marriage the same as a civil union or not?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="xaos"] Oh gotcha; yeah, the current Supremes will never regard homosexuals as a protected class. Full Faith and Credit seems like a better tact to me.

The problem with full faith and credit; and keep in mind this is a purely academic argument because a court case using this legal reasoning has not been brought yet, is that it does not create a positive right for residents of the offending state. It merely says that states respect the laws of other states. That does not mean that a person who is accustomed to shooting whales from moving vehicles in alaska can come to Tennessee and do so. Tennessee simply cannot prosecute an Alaskan for a crime in Alaska which is against the law in Tennessee. So Alaskans can still shoot whales from moving vehicles in Alaska and TN can't do anything about it. On the marriage side, people who get married in Idaho can't come to Tennessee and expect benefits from the TN gov't.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LikeHaterade

You're speaking on religion as if it's beliefs consist in only a book and it's all just words. Millions attest to their lives being changed, and religion helping them with problems in their lives. Those that are against it due to their religious beliefs doesn't mean they hate homosexuals. You're generalizing every religious person. The concept "separate but equal" didn't even apply them. That entire concept has never even existed, and I can see why seeing as how whites hated blacks back then, which is different in terms of gay marriage now.

Anyways, I enjoyed our discussion you guys but I have to go to work now. If this thread is still up when I get home, then we can talk about it some more. Otherwise, I probably would have forgotten about it eight hours from now. Ya'll have a good day. =p

No I speak of religion as if its beliefs are formed by humanity itself. The belief that homosexuality is unnatural/disgusting is on the same boat as the belief that blacks are lesser. Just because one of those beliefs is included in the coprus of dogmas of a religion doesnt mean it is kind-hearted. I am not claiming that all relgious people are like that; just refuting you as to how or if the fact that its part of a religious dogma differentiates it from other discriminatory beliefs.

Back then a person that thought of blacks as lesser beings could easily claim that he doesnt hate them. Even if he didnt hate them, his belief that they are lesser gives birth to discriminatory laws.

But today do we dare even accept a person that thinks of blacks as lesser beings even though he may not hate them? Of course not.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. horgen123
Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?

Do you wear a ring with it?

If they wanted to wear one....why not?
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#147 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]You know I hate to argue/disagree with you on here B, but my only comment on this is: Was it hate, or fear that a change would change the balance of "order" whites were used to? Is this not basically the exact same thing going on now. My two cents.LikeHaterade

Not really, yes MLK and his movement were a major part, but many lives were lost and there were many, many protests. Some which turned violent.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#148 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

I used to be totally against gay marriage. Now I really don't give a crap, and I'm honestly not bothered about the outcome of the whole debate.

However, the way I see it is:

1. Gay people want to get married.

2. Religious people don't want Gay people to marry, because they don't want to see an institution, that holds a high degree of religious significance, 'hijacked'.

We then address why Gay people might want to marry:

1. It's a platform to express eternal love for a chosen partner bla bla bla.

2. Marriage offers some legal benefits and convenience that they wish to be entitled to.

Religious people's response is:

1. Take 'Civil Unionships', because they offer a platform to express eternal love for a chosen partner bla bla bla.

2. And it offers the same legal benefits and convenience that Gay people wish to be entitled to.

Gay people aren't happy with this option.

Now, I'm not arguing that I think Gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry. I just want to know what arguments there are for preferring 'marriage' over 'civil unionships'.

If marriage did not exist, and instead, 'civil unionships' were the norm, would gay people be satisfied if people offered 'marriage' as an alternative?

Stumpt25
Civil partnerships are equal to marriages in the UK. And that's great. But it just seems like another 'separate but equal' thing. Same-sex couples aren't worth less to society than opposite-sex couples. We shouldn't have to settle for some sort of compromise just so religious people aren't upset. Civil rights come before people's religiously-fuelled bigotry.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Civil Unions aren't federally recognized and do not offer all of the benefits of marriage. So no, it's not good enough. That and the whole "separate but equal" thing has a history of not working all that well in this country.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#150 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right tooCyleM
What if the pig doesn't want to?