This is what I don't get about the whole **** marriage thing...

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?Theokhoth

exactly... as long as the same rights are granted to those unions.. who cares what you call it? the focus should be on obtaining those equal union rights, not fussing over a name.

Like segregated schools. . .same education, same benefits, but if the black guy steps into a white school then there'll be hell to pay. The name isn't the issue; it's the "separate but equal" connotations behind the name.

well, how about getting the "equal" part first.. then worrying about the "separate"
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"] exactly... as long as the same rights are granted to those unions.. who cares what you call it? the focus should be on obtaining those equal union rights, not fussing over a name.comp_atkins

Like segregated schools. . .same education, same benefits, but if the black guy steps into a white school then there'll be hell to pay. The name isn't the issue; it's the "separate but equal" connotations behind the name.

well, how about getting the "equal" part first.. then worrying about the "separate"

Then it becomes harder to argue for that, since detractors can easily say "Oh shut up, you querulous homosexuals. You have functional equality, you don't need your relationships to be actually regarded as being as worthwhile as heterosexual ones."
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"] exactly... as long as the same rights are granted to those unions.. who cares what you call it? the focus should be on obtaining those equal union rights, not fussing over a name.comp_atkins

Because as long as the "separate" is there, the "equal" is impossible to attain. "Separate but equal" is unacceptable in a Democracy because it's an oxymoron.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

why put a label on your relationship MARRIAGE......why?

the gay couple can just be together and thats it

what i do not want is for gay couples to adopt...especial gay man, women eh, so and so....

a kid should be brough up wid a father and mother, not 2 fathers,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 194197844077667059316682358889

what i do not want is for gay couples to adopt...especial gay man, women eh, so and so....

planbfreak4eva
Or, of course, by an orphanage or the state
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#56 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

planbfreak4eva
So...What happens if one of the heterosexual parents dies? Or they get divorced? Or are found unfit to raise children? Or other relatives raise them? Those situations should not be allowed because it's not a mother and father? :|
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts
I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right tooCyleM
That one guy married a video game character, why can we still not marry other men in some palces in the world? Really makes no sense.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

planbfreak4eva

Exactly what is the foundation for this particular "moral value"? :|

Every organization that has conducted a scientific investigation on the matter has concluded that same-sex parentages are functionally equal to opposite-sex parentages when it comes down to how well their kids turn out. The whole issue about the integrity of gays and lesbians as parents is a massive farce as it can be resolved by people deciding to educate themselves on the matter.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

xaos

Then it becomes harder to argue for that, since detractors can easily say "Oh shut up, you querulous homosexuals. You have functional equality, you don't need your relationships to be actually regarded as being as worthwhile as heterosexual ones."

a name does not make a relationship and more or less worthwhile...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. xaos
Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?

If the outcome is the same, why not call them the same thing? Otherwise, they are not the same.

Fight over the name and don't achieve the outcome or stop fighting over the name and achieve the outcome. Which is better? Sometimes I think it's not the name so much that is the problem....
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Because as long as the "separate" is there, the "equal" is impossible to attain. "Separate but equal" is unacceptable in a Democracy because it's an oxymoron.

we have separate but equal restrooms based on gender and our society is still here :wink:
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] well, how about getting the "equal" part first.. then worrying about the "separate"comp_atkins

a name does not make a relationship and more or less worthwhile...

Once again, it isn't the name that's the problem any more than it was the separate water fountain that was the problem.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"] well, how about getting the "equal" part first.. then worrying about the "separate"comp_atkins

we have separate but equal restrooms based on gender and our society is still here :wink:

:| That's hardly an example of segregation.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right tooCyleM

Actualy i kinda feal that if the church thinks that gay couples should marry, they shouldnt marry. Its the Churches thing to decide on the rules of marrige, since its ... i guess owned by them? But i agree that another option should be open to gay couples with simelar benefits to marrige.

I have nothing against gays btw.

No, the church should have no jurisdiction on the rules of marriage when we are talking about secular marriage.

Furthermore that just isn't right.. There are some churches out there that have no qualms with marrying gays in the United States.. What do you say to them>?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"] well, how about getting the "equal" part first.. then worrying about the "separate"comp_atkins

.....but for entirely different reasons.

Not because of obsolete discriminatory beliefs, but anatomical differences and the nature of the act that is being carried out in a restroom. =/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?

If the outcome is the same, why not call them the same thing? Otherwise, they are not the same.

Fight over the name and don't achieve the outcome or stop fighting over the name and achieve the outcome. Which is better? Sometimes I think it's not the name so much that is the problem....

Fight over the name and try to achieve an outcome that is truly equal rather than functionally equal, or accept sops and agree to live as a second class citizen is how I'd characterize it. I know it's a matter of perspective, but that's mine. I'll add that my sweetie and I elected not to get married during the brief legal window here in CA and are registered as domestic partners. However, being told that we can't get married still feels pretty demeaning to both of us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="xaos"] If the outcome is the same, why not call them the same thing? Otherwise, they are not the same.xaos

Fight over the name and try to achieve an outcome that is truly equal rather than functionally equal, or accept sops and agree to live as a second class citizen is how I'd characterize it. I know it's a matter of perspective, but that's mine. I'll add that my sweetie and I elected not to get married during the brief legal window here in CA and are registered as domestic partners. However, being told that we can't get married still feels pretty demeaning to both of us.

Not to mention there are religious organizations out there in the US that support gay marriage.. Not all religious people are opposed to it.. You can't constantly say that "marriage has always been between a man and a woman".. When that simply is not true on a religious stand point where churches are accepting it.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. LJS9502_basic

To some it does. Frankly I don't give a damn about the terminology used, but I can see why some would.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="xaos"] If the outcome is the same, why not call them the same thing? Otherwise, they are not the same.xaos

Eh....if getting legal acknowledgement is important I don't see the difference. Anyway, wise choice....marriage can cause problems down the road if things aren't a Hollywood movie.....

gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 gubrushadow
Member since 2009 • 2735 Posts
i still dont understand why would a boy marry another boy , and a girl marry another girl , there is nothin.. ..eerrr "funny and interesting" about it :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

Actualy i kinda feal that if the church thinks that gay couples should marry, they shouldnt marry. Its the Churches thing to decide on the rules of marrige, since its ... i guess owned by them? But i agree that another option should be open to gay couples with simelar benefits to marrige.

I have nothing against gays btw.

sSubZerOo

No, the church should have no jurisdiction on the rules of marriage when we are talking about secular marriage.

Furthermore that just isn't right.. There are some churches out there that have no qualms with marrying gays in the United States.. What do you say to them>?

Well I just realise that I cant really advocate for laws to define the things that are totally up to the church to decide (wither each church on its own or all of it); and religious Christian marriage is within the jurisdiction of the church imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]No, the church should have no jurisdiction on the rules of marriage when we are talking about secular marriage.

Well I just realise that I cant really advocate for laws to define the things that are totally up to the church to decide (wither each church on its own or all of it); and religious Christian marriage is within the jurisdiction of the church imo.

Which there are Christian churches out there that are becoming far more liberal in doing gay marriages..
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. spazzx625

They aren't really the same, though... link I probably should have elaborated my original point so it doesn't look like I'm just harping on the terminology...

Hypothetically, if civil unions had matched gay marriages in every right, then what?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?LikeHaterade

They aren't really the same, though... link I probably should have elaborated my original point so it doesn't look like I'm just harping on the terminology...

Hypothetically, if civil unions had matched gay marriages in every right, then what?

If the name is specifically being held back from them, then they aren't the same.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
i still dont understand why would a boy marry another boy , and a girl marry another girl , there is nothin.. ..eerrr "funny and interesting" about it :Pgubrushadow
Who the hell is calling it "funny and interesting"?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Furthermore that just isn't right.. There are some churches out there that have no qualms with marrying gays in the United States.. What do you say to them>?sSubZerOo

Which there are Christian churches out there that are becoming far more liberal in doing gay marriages..

Yes I know that. Thats why each church individually should be able to decide whether or not to perform gay marriages imo.

But again I wouldnt be surprised if the Church of the USA decides to "force" all representative churches to not perform gay marriages. And no matter how much I would find it wrong, I dont feel I have the right to defy such a decision.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?LikeHaterade

Then there'd be no legitimate reason not to call it marriage.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"] They aren't really the same, though... link I probably should have elaborated my original point so it doesn't look like I'm just harping on the terminology...xaos

If the name is specifically being held back from them, then they aren't the same.

The name wouldn't be the same. Just because the name is different doesn't mean they mean something different than a marriage.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"] They aren't really the same, though... link I probably should have elaborated my original point so it doesn't look like I'm just harping on the terminology...xaos

Why isn't it? We have different words for the same things all the time....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LikeHaterade

The name wouldn't be the same. Just because the name is different doesn't mean they mean something different than a marriage.

The only reason to have a different name for it is to mark it as something different, isn't it?
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Gay people should just be satisfied with the legal benefits of marriage/civil union or whatever. They will likely never gain equality in religion because most religions very specifically prohibit homosexuality. It just feels like they're trying to intrude on people's beliefs, which doesn't seem reasonable to me. You get the same rights as anyone else, but let them have their religion.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="xaos"] If the outcome is the same, why not call them the same thing? Otherwise, they are not the same.

i'm on your side as far as having the laws changed to allow marriage.. i just argue that since there are so many nuts out there hellbent on denying you from simply using a word, why not pursue the same legal ends without the word? then just go around and say you're married anyway... f-em.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LikeHaterade

Theokhoth

Society defines the term marriage between a man and woman. Society determines it's acculturation. That argument seems legitimate to me, so long as there is equal rights being achieved.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 194197844077667059316682358889

LJS9502_basic

Why isn't it? We have different words for the same things all the time....

If it's a synonym, then why can't it also be marriage? Why have two separate (BUT EQUAL!) legal means of joining instead of just one?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-59d151f079814

LikeHaterade

If it quaks like a duck, and walks like a duck.. Its a duck.. So why call not call it marriage.. I think its pretty childish for the religious community to be splitting hairs on this. The church had no problem before in allowing divorce.. This alone shows that marriage has changed fundamentally before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 194197844077667059316682358889
Gay people should just be satisfied with the legal benefits of marriage/civil union or whatever. They will likely never gain equality in religion because most religions very specifically prohibit homosexuality. It just feels like they're trying to intrude on people's beliefs, which doesn't seem reasonable to me. You get the same rights as anyone else, but let them have their religion. F1_2004
No one is trying to force religious acknowledgment of gay marriage. Laws do not and cannot force churches to do things like perform gay marriages. This is for civil marriages. I'm shocked how widespread confusion on this (seemingly obvious) point is.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

[QUOTE="xaos"] If the name is specifically being held back from them, then they aren't the same.xaos

The only reason to have a different name for it is to mark it as something different, isn't it?

Different, but not necessarily derogatory. Just because it wouldn't be classified as a marriage wouldn't make it worse. And shame on those that would make it appear so. Obviously there would be those that would, but I believe that it's the homosexual couples' job to shun those people. The same way I hope all homosexuals shun the ignorant fools in today's society that make fun of, or bring violence to other homosexuals.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

LikeHaterade

Society defines the term marriage between a man and woman. Society determines it's acculturation. That argument seems legitimate to me, so long as there is equal rights being achieved.

Then society is wrong.

Segregation goes against society.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Theokhoth

LikeHaterade

Different, but not necessarily derogatory.

In other words, separate, but equal.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LikeHaterade

If it quaks like a duck, and walks like a duck.. Its a duck.. So why call not call it marriage.. I think its pretty childish for the religious community to be splitting hairs on this. The church had no problem before in allowing divorce.. This alone shows that marriage has changed fundamentally before.

sSubZerOo

I agree, but so long as equal rights may be achieved, I believe society has the right to define it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 194197844077667059316682358889

LikeHaterade

Different, but not necessarily derogatory. Just because it wouldn't be classified as a marriage wouldn't make it worse. And shame on those that would make it appear so. Obviously there would be those that would, but I believe that it's the homosexual couples' job to shun those people. The same way I hope all homosexuals shun the ignorant fools in today's society that make fun of, or bring violence to other homosexuals.

Doesn't have to be derogatory to be unacceptable to me; segregated schools had nothing that made them innately inferior in terms of how the laws were structured, after all. I should add that I'm not trying to change anyone's mind in this thread, since I think it's a pretty heartfelt issue for most folks who have any opinion on it. I'm just giving my $.02 (or as many posts as I've made in this thread, maybe more like my $1.50)
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LikeHaterade

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Then society is wrong.

This just always seemed blown up to me. This is in no way even close to segregation in the sixties. We had "separate but equal" back then, but things actually weren't equal. I believe that would be a different case if gays were to fight for equal rights through civil unions. It's legal rights and benefits on paper. They're not using different water fountains.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Teenaged

Gay people should just be satisfied with the legal benefits of marriage/civil union or whatever. They will likely never gain equality in religion because most religions very specifically prohibit homosexuality. It just feels like they're trying to intrude on people's beliefs, which doesn't seem reasonable to me. You get the same rights as anyone else, but let them have their religion. F1_2004
That would be true if the pressure is applied to religious marriage as well.

Homosexual people are not even allowed to get a secular marriage. There is no logical reason for that. Even atheists can get secularly married even though they are "outlawd" by religion.

But you see secular marriage isnt any of religion's business.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#94 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Most of my gay friends are ok with Civil Unions which afford them the same rights as married people, but I still don't think that's enough. First off, marriage has been around long before our three "main" religions, they have no right to "hijack" it. Secondly no one in the US (at least) should have rights others do not unless it's a case of age (voting, drinking, driving), or criminal record (guns).
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LikeHaterade

Then society is wrong.

This just always seemed blown up to me. This is in no way even close to segregation in the sixties. We had "separate but equal" back then, but things actually weren't equal. I believe that would be a different case if gays were to fight for equal rights through civil unions. It's legal rights and benefits on paper. They're not using different water fountains.

The intentions behind it are the same.

Just because the effects of that discrimination are not as severe and inhumane as they were with blacks doesnt mean homosexuals should settle with that thought.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 LikeHaterade

Doesn't have to be derogatory to be unacceptable to me; segregated schools had nothing that made them innately inferior in terms of how the laws were structured, after all. I should add that I'm not trying to change anyone's mind in this thread, since I think it's a pretty heartfelt issue for most folks who have any opinion on it. I'm just giving my $.02 (or as many posts as I've made in this thread, maybe more like my $1.50)xaos

Marriage is on a much smaller level than schools though. I understand. I should probably share my personal view on marriage before this discussion continues and say that I see nothing wrong with gay marriage. I do however believe that society has the right to choose it's acculturation, so long as equal rights are achievable.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#97 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Well, civil partnerships may well be pretty much the same, but gays should still be entitled to the same rights as everyone else - including the right to marry.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

LikeHaterade
but it is just like the water fountains. like it said in my example. if there were 2 identical fountains using the same water and right next to each either but one labeled Colored and the other labeled White would that be okay? i mean they are identical right? anyway it's moot since they don't offer the same rights and are different for each state. which is not the case with marriage.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LikeHaterade

The intentions behind it are the same.

Just because the effects of that discrimination are not as severe and inhumane as they were with blacks doesnt mean homosexuals should settle with that thought.

Teenaged

I don't think the intentions are the same. Society is not accepting homosexual marriage primarily due to their religious beliefs. Not blind hate.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

LikeHaterade

Then society is wrong.

Things weren't actually equal because things were separate. It doesn't have to be "close" to the segregation of the sixties; any segregation at all is contradictory to the very basis of our society.