This is what I don't get about the whole **** marriage thing...

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

I used to be totally against gay marriage. Now I really don't give a crap, and I'm honestly not bothered about the outcome of the whole debate.

However, the way I see it is:

1. Gay people want to get married.

2. Religious people don't want Gay people to marry, because they don't want to see an institution, that holds a high degree of religious significance, 'hijacked'.

We then address why Gay people might want to marry:

1. It's a platform to express eternal love for a chosen partner bla bla bla.

2. Marriage offers some legal benefits and convenience that they wish to be entitled to.

Religious people's response is:

1. Take 'Civil Unionships', because they offer a platform to express eternal love for a chosen partner bla bla bla.

2. And it offers the same legal benefits and convenience that Gay people wish to be entitled to.

Gay people aren't happy with this option.

Now, I'm not arguing that I think Gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry. I just want to know what arguments there are for preferring 'marriage' over 'civil unionships'.

If marriage did not exist, and instead, 'civil unionships' were the norm, would gay people be satisfied if people offered 'marriage' as an alternative?

CyleM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 CyleM
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts
I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right too
Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right tooCyleM

I wanna marry you :shock:

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. spazzx625
Does the word mean that much if the outcome is the same?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

If marriage did not exist, and instead, 'civil unionships' were the norm, would gay people be satisfied if people offered 'marriage' as an alternative?

Stumpt25

No I wouldnt be.

And thats because I dont really care for marriage (perhaps just yet). I just find the denial of religious people to be an act of discrimination.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Unfortunately.. the Christians didn't invent the concept of marriage. It's actually much older than their religion.. SO, their is really no argument to their... even though they try to make one.

Another thing is that majority of marriages practiced around the world have never had anything to do with this concept of love... that's a relatively new concept in terms of marriage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f5f1ece8fb
deactivated-5d3f5f1ece8fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d3f5f1ece8fb
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

2. Marriage offers some legal benefits and convenience that they wish to be entitled to.

Stumpt25

I don't care if gay people get married, but I don't think they should get the same, if any, legal benefits as traditional marriage.

I think a lot of those benefits are given to help for people's kids. I'd be fine giving married gays the benefits if they adopted a kid.

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Considering most people in the world are religious, Gay people can't change the law, If they want to be married you should travel to a country that allows gay marriage.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

hi_im_dave

I don't care if gay people get married, but I don't think they should get the same, if any, legal benefits as traditional marriage.

I think a lot of those benefits are given to help for people's kids. I'd be fine giving married gays the benefits if they adopted a kid.

I kinda agree here. Thats why it should be proposed these benefits (only the ones that aim in helping with children) to be granted only when the couple has children. Not by default.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 spazzx625
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. LJS9502_basic

They aren't really the same, though... link I probably should have elaborated my original point so it doesn't look like I'm just harping on the terminology...
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58401 Posts

Now, I'm not arguing that I think Gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry. I just want to know what arguments there are for preferring 'marriage' over 'civil unionships'.

Stumpt25

equality, plain and simple

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

mrbojangles25

In life, There is nothing called Equality.Some were born superior to others, And some not. It's life.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. spazzx625

They aren't really the same, though... I probably should have elaborated my original point so it doesn't look like I'm just harping on the terminology...

Well my question is if the two were the same in everything but name...does it matter? Let's say the federal government decides it will allow civil unions. Not marriage but civil unions, however, they will have all the same legal benefits of marriage. Does the name still matter? I can't see why it should. Though to be honest.....anyone marrying for benefits isn't going to have a long marriage. It should be about love and more importantly commitment.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right tooCyleM

Actualy i kinda feal that if the church thinks that gay couples should marry, they shouldnt marry. Its the Churches thing to decide on the rules of marrige, since its ... i guess owned by them? But i agree that another option should be open to gay couples with simelar benefits to marrige.

I have nothing against gays btw.

CyleM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 CyleM
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

[QUOTE="CyleM"]I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right tooMercury_May2112

I wanna marry you :shock:

sounds good to me
Juice_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juice_13
Member since 2009 • 293 Posts

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

hi_im_dave

So by that way of thinking, do you think that married couples that are unable to have children or simply don't want to have children should not receive the benefits as well?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Teenaged

Considering most people in the world are religious, Gay people can't change the law, If they want to be married you should travel to a country that allows gay marriage.krazy-blazer
Considering not all religious people condemn homosexuality and/or homosexual marriage what you propose is not the only option. Also it doesnt mean things dont change. They do.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spazzx625
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

krazy-blazer

In life, There is nothing called Equality.Some were born superior to others, And some not. It's life.

So...Homosexuals are automatically inferior? :| This isn't a rating game of superiority, this is common human right to be able to marry. Heterosexual couples are not superior to homosexual couples at all.
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

mrbojangles25

The thing is, there technically IS equality. Gay people can marry into a heterosexual relationship, and straight people could marry into a civil unionship.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58401 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

krazy-blazer

not on the legal level

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Teenaged

[QUOTE="CyleM"]I think everyone should be able to marry whoever or whatever they want... if a man wants to marry a pig then he should have a right toochaplainDMK

Actualy i kinda feal that if the church thinks that gay couples should marry, they shouldnt marry. Its the Churches thing to decide on the rules of marrige, since its ... i guess owned by them? But i agree that another option should be open to gay couples with simelar benefits to marrige.

I have nothing against gays btw.

No, the church should have no jurisdiction on the rules of marriage when we are talking about secular marriage.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

mrbojangles25

Technically it is equal.....
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spazzx625
Well my question is if the two were the same in everything but name...does it matter? Let's say the federal government decides it will allow civil unions. Not marriage but civil unions, however, they will have all the same legal benefits of marriage. Does the name still matter? I can't see why it should. Though to be honest.....anyone marrying for benefits isn't going to have a long marriage. It should be about love and more importantly commitment.LJS9502_basic
Well, if it was only a name, I don't really think it would get that many complaints, but I don't really know since I'm both heterosexual and married :?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teenaged

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

LJS9502_basic

No. The same does not mean equal.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Teenaged

Of course it does. Marriage laws are the same for everyone. There is no law regarding marriage that states love is the reason one can marry.;)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

Stumpt25

The thing is, there technically IS equality. Gay people can marry into a heterosexual relationship, and straight people could marry into a civil unionship.

Even if one couldt establish why marriage is better than a civil union objectively, its still discrimination, based on no solid ground.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Teenaged

Even if one couldt establish why marriage is better than a civil union objectively, its still discrimination, based on no solid ground.

Hmm...well then I guess since we are all bound by the same laws then we are all equally discriminated against.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

I used to be totally against gay marriage. Now I really don't give a crap, and I'm honestly not bothered about the outcome of the whole debate.

However, the way I see it is:

1. Gay people want to get married.

2. Religious people don't want Gay people to marry, because they don't want to see an institution, that holds a high degree of religious significance, 'hijacked'.

We then address why Gay people might want to marry:

1. It's a platform to express eternal love for a chosen partner bla bla bla.

Religious people's response is:

1. Take 'Civil Unionships', because they offer a platform to express eternal love for a chosen partner bla bla bla.

2. And it offers the same legal benefits and convenience that Gay people wish to be entitled to.

Gay people aren't happy with this option.

Stumpt25
Most of those legal benefits are federally awarded, and same-sex civil unions are not in the position to receive those benefits. Also, separate but equal doesn't really work. Also, marriage has both religious and legal sides to it. One can get married at a church but have no legal recognition of said marriage, much the same as going to town hall to get a marriage certificate and the church not recognizing the marriage. Of course, if civil unions were standard across the board, gay people would be satisfied, because they'd have the same benefits and rights as everyone else.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Technically it is equal.....LJS9502_basic

Of course it does. Marriage laws are the same for everyone. There is no law regarding marriage that states love is the reason one can marry.;)

I dont care to view it legally.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spazzx625
LJ, I think you are talking more about domesticated partnership than civil unions.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Stumpt25"] The thing is, there technically IS equality. Gay people can marry into a heterosexual relationship, and straight people could marry into a civil unionship.LJS9502_basic

Hmm...well then I guess since we are all bound by the same laws then we are all equally discriminated against.

How so?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Civil unions are not on equal footing with marriage. For one, many states don't even recognize them, and neither does the federal government.

Also, the notion of separate but equal was thrown out a long time ago. That being said, if religious people want exclusive access to marriage I have no problem with that, as long as marriage is stripped of any legal benefits and all legal unions gay or straight) are referred to as civil unions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

LJ, I think you are talking more about domesticated partnership than civil unions.spazzx625
Actually I didn't have anything specific in mind. It was a question regarding if we made both the same in all but name would that be a problem. Many places now offer benefits to domestic partners and legal benefits in some areas I believe.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 spazzx625

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]LJ, I think you are talking more about domesticated partnership than civil unions.LJS9502_basic

Actually I didn't have anything specific in mind. It was a question regarding if we made both the same in all but name would that be a problem. Many places now offer benefits to domestic partners and legal benefits in some areas I believe.

Yeah, but even gay domestic partnership is only legally acceptable in a few states.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Civil unions are not on equal footing with marriage. For one, many states don't even recognize them, and neither does the federal government.

Also, the notion of separate but equal was thrown out a long time ago. That being said, if religious people want exclusive access to marriage I have no problem with that, as long as marriage is stripped of any legal benefits and all legal unions gay or straight) are referred to as civil unions.

metroidfood
Pretty much. I don't see why religion doesn't take back Marriage, and strip the government away from it. Would make things much easier.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]LJ, I think you are talking more about domesticated partnership than civil unions.spazzx625

Yeah, but even gay domestic partnership is only legally acceptable in a few states.

Small steps. Anyway I was referring to a federal government sanction of civil unions with all the legal benefits etc of marriage in the country...not just participating states. I know it's not widely available right now.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 spazzx625
Small steps. Anyway I was referring to a federal government sanction of civil unions with all the legal benefits etc of marriage in the country...not just participating states. I know it's not widely available right now.LJS9502_basic
Yeah, I don't really know how the whole 'horse by a different color' thing would fly with groups on both sides of the issue, but I think the very least should be recognizing domestic partnership. I fully support gay marriage, though.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
it's not like religious ppl own the right to marriage. I'm not religious and i got married. also the civil union thing sounds like a case of separate but equal. they fact that it's a separate thing makes it's unequal imo. so along those lines if there wasn't marriage then civil unions would be fine. but there is and thus they should have the same right to it under the law.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Small steps. Anyway I was referring to a federal government sanction of civil unions with all the legal benefits etc of marriage in the country...not just participating states. I know it's not widely available right now.spazzx625
Yeah, I don't really know how the whole 'horse by a different color' thing would fly with groups on both sides of the issue, but I think the very least should be recognizing domestic partnership. I fully support gay marriage, though.

With the current political climate you have to start small. If a difference of wording causes it to pass then I'd say that's a good thing. Besides, civil union is basically a civil marriage and they could certainly use the word marriage themselves. And it would make for some happy divorce lawyers to have new clients.:P
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ontain
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Small steps. Anyway I was referring to a federal government sanction of civil unions with all the legal benefits etc of marriage in the country...not just participating states. I know it's not widely available right now.spazzx625

I see it as similar to those old Colored and White water fountains that you could see lead to the same pipes.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Small steps. Anyway I was referring to a federal government sanction of civil unions with all the legal benefits etc of marriage in the country...not just participating states. I know it's not widely available right now.Ontain

I see it as similar to those old Colored and White water fountains that you could see lead to the same pipes.

Well let's see....same benefits, same civil servant providing the ceremony, same cost and license. I don't see the difference really. It's like I say pop...you say soda but we drink the same thing.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ontain
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] With the current political climate you have to start small. If a difference of wording causes it to pass then I'd say that's a good thing. Besides, civil union is basically a civil marriage and they could certainly use the word marriage themselves. And it would make for some happy divorce lawyers to have new clients.:P

the same thing was said about slavery and the civil rights movement. but we've seen that such changes should not just bend to the political climate. as for the lawyers. I think there's no lack of work for them already with our pathetic divorce rate. Sanctity of marriage my arse ;)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] With the current political climate you have to start small. If a difference of wording causes it to pass then I'd say that's a good thing. Besides, civil union is basically a civil marriage and they could certainly use the word marriage themselves. And it would make for some happy divorce lawyers to have new clients.:P

the same thing was said about slavery and the civil rights movement. but we've seen that such changes should not just bend to the political climate. as for the lawyers. I think there's no lack of work for them already with our pathetic divorce rate. Sanctity of marriage my arse ;)

And the change was slow. Small steps. It's better to concede a name and get on with it than fight over the word and not. After all if the difference is 50 years then wouldn't you want to the law now with the different name? If there is one way to get the term marriage accepted..it's to start with the legal relationship.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ontain
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]Yeah, I don't really know how the whole 'horse by a different color' thing would fly with groups on both sides of the issue, but I think the very least should be recognizing domestic partnership. I fully support gay marriage, though.LJS9502_basic

Well let's see....same benefits, same civil servant providing the ceremony, same cost and license. I don't see the difference really. It's like I say pop...you say soda but we drink the same thing.

Like i said just like the water fountains. it could be the same water and the same fountains types. so why have it? because of intolerance and bigotry. why should that type of thing be government supported?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

People are against that system because it's a form of segregation. "Separate but equal" is not acceptable in a democracy.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. LJS9502_basic

If the outcome is the same, why not call them the same thing? Otherwise, they are not the same.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

exactly... as long as the same rights are granted to those unions.. who cares what you call it? the focus should be on obtaining those equal union rights, not fussing over a name.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
2. Religious people don't want Gay people to marry, because they don't want to see an institution, that holds a high degree of religious significance, 'hijacked'.Stumpt25
I've never understood this argument. Marriage is as significant as anyone wants it to be. A single religion can't just brand exclusive sanctity on something that has a many different meanings across cultures.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]It's all about equality. "Civil union" sounds so sterile and forced to me. comp_atkins

exactly... as long as the same rights are granted to those unions.. who cares what you call it? the focus should be on obtaining those equal union rights, not fussing over a name.

Like segregated schools. . .same education, same benefits, but if the black guy steps into a white school then there'll be hell to pay. The name isn't the issue; it's the "separate but equal" connotations behind the name.