The Throne (Jay-Z & Kanye West) Watch The Throne (poll)

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MagicalMafiaMan
MagicalMafiaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MagicalMafiaMan
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts

How's everybody finding Kanye and Jay-Z's "Watch The Throne". It's been hyped to be one of the greatest albums of the year and was released just today on Itunes. I'll be waiting until the physical release in four days. Excruciating wait.

AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts

listening now

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

Haven't listened to it yet, but it will probably not live up to the hype...

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
I will be buying it on the 12th
r4v1rsm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 r4v1rsm
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts

Listening to it now, it's very soulful, some good tracks, some I need to listen to, I especially love New Day, I have it on repeat for some reason, also Murder to Excellence is quite amazing, but it needs more listens before I can state this is a classic.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#6 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Hyped by the masses as the greatest hip hop album ever.. means its probably average at best and will be forgotten about in a few months.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Swanogt19
The production is really good. But I don't know if the rhymes are going to be as memorable as the production
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

It's really good. I give it a 8.5/10

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

I'm hunting down somewhere to listen to it... I have all Kanye's albums and will get this solely for him. I may be from Brooklyn, but I'm like the only one from here that doesn't like Jay-Z(I respect his lyrically prowess but I don't like his music).

stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#10 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

I'm about halfway through, and it's okay. Nothing special.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

from what i've heard so far, it's great. i need some more time with it though...

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Only getting it cause of Kanye but I heard its pretty good but I can't judge atm

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

The lyrics are fantastic, but they could be a bit better. Jay edges Kanye here, but Kanye really comes through with the production. This album has the greatest production out of any album I have ever heard.

10/10

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

listening to it right now, its pretty legit

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Pretty good so far,I might buy it
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

It's ok, I would have enjoyed it more if the hype didn't kill it for me.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Nothing special IMO, I give it a 7. If it can't match up to Reasonable Doubt or Blueprint then these illuminati boys can kick Rocs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It's pretty good overall (though definitely uneven), but it doesn't meet the standard of Kanye's work in general and Jay-Z's best work. It just doesn't have the same coherence.

The production is very interesting and there's alot of great musical moments (the Lost in the World voice box seems to be in the mix alot), but it just doesn't come together as well as it should have. The actual rapping ranges from being really on point to being really lazy and disjointed.

The best track is probably Made in America, which is a gorgeous song. The worst track is **** In Paris.

My favorite 3 tracks:

Made in America

Lift Off

Murder to Excellence

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreySeal9

The lyrics are fantastic, but they could be a bit better. Jay edges Kanye here, but Kanye really comes through with the production. This album has the greatest production out of any album I have ever heard.

10/10

Ultrabeatdown55

IMO, My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy is alot better in that regard.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
I like it thus far, but I don't like all the beat changes. It'll probably grow on me. And Jay-Z is killing Kanye thus far also.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreySeal9

I like it thus far, but I don't like all the beat changes. It'll probably grow on me. And Jay-Z is killing Kanye thus far also.bobcheeseball

Jay Z's rapping is a hell of a lot more polished on this record, but at the same time, but Kanye is responsible for the music, so it's a wash.

Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ultrabeatdown55

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]

10/10

GreySeal9

Not to me, this beats it. Though it doesn't blow away Kanye's last effort. And I disagree with you about N***** in Paris. I think it is one of the best songs on the album.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts

It's pretty good overall (though definitely uneven), but it doesn't meet the standard of Kanye's work in general and Jay-Z's best work. It just doesn't have the same coherence.

The production is very interesting and there's alot of great musical moments (the Lost in the World voice box seems to be in the mix alot), but it just doesn't come together as well as it should have. The actual rapping ranges from being really on point to being really lazy and disjointed.

The best track is probably Made in America, which is a gorgeous song. The worst track is **** In Paris.

My favorite 3 tracks:

Made in America

Lift Off

Murder to Excellence

GreySeal9
Hmm really? I thought Lift Off was easily the worst track on the album... but that's my opinion.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

My favorite 3 tracks:

Made in America

Lift Off

Murder to Excellence

GodofBigMacs

Hmm really? I thought Lift Off was easily the worst track on the album... but that's my opinion.

Lift Off was the poppiest most radio friendly track on the album and it's pretty lacking in the rapping department, but I loved the sort of epic feel good sound of the music and the chorus. I liked it in the same way that like All of the Lights on MTBDF.

I really have a hard time seeing how Lift Off could be worse than something like H.A.M or **** in Paris, which sounds like all that lazy crap that rappers churn out these days.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

10/10

Ultrabeatdown55

Not to me, this beats it. Though it doesn't blow away Kanye's last effort. And I disagree with you about N***** in Paris. I think it is one of the best songs on the album.

Well, different strokes. **** in Paris sounded lazy to me. Jay Z's rapping was on point in that song, but IMO, it's not much of a song.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreySeal9

To elaborate on my original post, these are the songs I liked alot:

Made in America

Lift Off

Murder to Excellence

That's My B****

New Day

Otis

Why I Love You

No Church in the Wild

These are the ones I liked, but I didn't think they were the best the album had to offer:

Gotta Have It

Welcome to the Jungle

Songs that were "okay":

Primetime (a bonus track)

The Joy (It seems like I really should have loved this one since I love soulful rap, but it just seemed like one of the weaker soulful Kanye productions)

Who Gon Stop Me (would have been good if not for the awful Holocaust part)

These are the songs I didn't like:

N**** in Paris

Illest MFer Alive

H.A.M

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]I like it thus far, but I don't like all the beat changes. It'll probably grow on me. And Jay-Z is killing Kanye thus far also.GreySeal9

Jay Z's rapping is a hell of a lot more polished on this record, but at the same time, but Kanye is responsible for the music, so it's a wash.

not entirely true. RZA does a track on this record, as does frank ocean, the neptunes and swizz beats (2 tracks actually).

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I haven't even heard any of the songs yet so I'll have to check it out sometime soon.

Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ultrabeatdown55

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]I like it thus far, but I don't like all the beat changes. It'll probably grow on me. And Jay-Z is killing Kanye thus far also.lazerface216

not entirely true. RZA does a track on this record, as does frank ocean, the neptunes and swizz beats (2 tracks actually).

But Kanye does have his hand of every track. He is co-producer on all of them.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

I'm hunting down somewhere to listen to it... I have all Kanye's albums and will get this solely for him. I may be from Brooklyn, but I'm like the only one from here that doesn't like Jay-Z(I respect his lyrically prowess but I don't like his music).

AtlanticRock
Glad you're not one of those blind haters that just say Jay sucks. Serious respect. But Im listening to the album now.
nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

Lyrically the albums trash, in terms of production it's nothing special & tbh the only good song is n****s in paris, anyway this album just got deleted from my itunes because I can't see myself listening to any of it agian.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Just listened to the entire album all the way thru.. As far as what number I would rate it? Who the hell knows, arbitrary ratings are stupid. Good album tho.
Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

From what I've heard so far I'd give a 5/6 maybe. The songs that are on point are really on point like "New Day," "Murder to Excellence," andmaybe"Gotta Have It." But there's too many mediocre/badand downright bs songs mixed in there like "Ham," Lift Off," "Living So Italian," "Why I love You So," "Wo's Gonna Stop Me," and a few others. Plus the album seems to lack any real direction. Mediocre album. I don't even think I'd call it decent tbh.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
From what I hear of the album the production is definitely quality, but at the same time maybe a little too experimental/out there (definitely not for everyone's ears). Lyrically - Jay outshines Ye on this album but they both do rather well and get their points across on each track (except for H.A.M. Ye coulda did so much more). There are some real stand out songs on the albums and there are others that I may have to give more listens before they grow on me. Overall - 8/10 (for now)
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#35 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Album of the year. Nothing else comes close so far
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Havent litento it yet. will try itout sometime

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

10/10

Ultrabeatdown55
You must have not heard many albums then.
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ultrabeatdown55

From what I've heard so far I'd give a 5/6 maybe. The songs that are on point are really on point like "New Day," "Murder to Excellence," andmaybe"Gotta Have It." But there's too many mediocre/badand downright bs songs mixed in there like "Ham," Lift Off," "Living So Italian," "Why I love You So," "Wo's Gonna Stop Me," and a few others. Plus the album seems to lack any real direction. Mediocre album. I don't even think I'd call it decent tbh.

Poncho_Hachacha
If you actually listened to it, you would know there is no track for Living So Italian. It exists, but it isn't on this album, nor leaked onto the internet so I don't know what you're saying.
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ultrabeatdown55

10/10

Solid_Tango

Oh no, I have. Probably more than you have.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Swanogt19

10/10

Solid_Tango

Raidohead fans. :lol:
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

I'm gonna hear it on thursday.

MrBubbles59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrBubbles59
Member since 2010 • 686 Posts

I can't wait to listen to it.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Ooh I'm glad someone reminded me! :) I am hoping it's at least a 72/85. EDIT: Finished it. Very nice, it met my expectations. 85/100
ethanradd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ethanradd
Member since 2009 • 654 Posts

Only listened to one song, was alright ...will listen to the rest later, got it for Kanye, not a huge fan of Jay Z though, soo... anyways I will be pleasantly surprised if it can top 'my beautiful dark twisted fantasy' ...but I doubt it, will have to wait and see (hear?)

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Definitely like Kanye more as an artist than Jay-Z. But, if they both sound like their older selves, I will greatly enjoy this album.

bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
i don't like jay-z's voice that much i figured that out when i listened to this album, i wish it was kanye only, not saying jay z is bad or anything though
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts
Excellent production, interesting music. J does a better job than his last few albums.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Just finished.

Didn't like it, I'll give it a 4

Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ultrabeatdown55

Just finished.

imaps3fanboy
May I inquire to what you did not like about it?
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

Just finished.

Ultrabeatdown55
May I inquire to what you did not like about it?

I know next to nothing about the genre, and I'm not really into it. So it's a rating of ignorance I suppose :D just thought I'd give something different a spin