The Throne (Jay-Z & Kanye West) Watch The Throne (poll)

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

Just finished.

Didn't like it, I'll give it a 4

imaps3fanboy
May I inquire to what you did not like about it?

I know next to nothing about the genre, and I'm not really into it. So it's a rating of ignorance I suppose :D just thought I'd give something different a spin

Ah well that explains that :lol:
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

not based? not good.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

Ive gotten through the first 4 songs, and while they are good, I don't know if they are better than either Kanye's or Jay-z's last albums, which were both amazing.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Great album all around. Otis, Gotta Have it, and New Day are my favorites.
Celus93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Celus93
Member since 2009 • 139 Posts

It is a great album I got it the day it came out and I have been hooked on it since.This is one of the best albums I have ever heard just musical genius

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Don't really like it... But I don't like Jay -Z or Kanye West either, so that was expected.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Wow, so far no baseless "RAP IS NOT ART" arguments. I'm impressed OT.

Got the album today, haven't listened to it yet.

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Ive gotten through the first 4 songs, and while they are good, I don't know if they are better than either Kanye's or Jay-z's last albums, which were both amazing.

taylor888
The Blueprint 3 was so terrible compared to Jay's old albums :?
taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts
[QUOTE="taylor888"]

Ultrabeatdown55
The Blueprint 3 was so terrible compared to Jay's old albums :?

I actually haven't listened to his old albums. Maybe some day I'll give them a try.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Did anyone buy their physical copy today? I did. The inner artwork of the deluxe edition is rather interesting
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Liking this album the more I listen to it. Illest Motherf*cker Alive is the best track for me.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
About a 6-7 sounds right. Maybe I have to give it more time to grow on me. The production seems like something I'd love but for some reason it's just not doing that much for me right now.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#64 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

About a 6-7 sounds right. Maybe I have to give it more time to grow on me. The production seems like something I'd love but for some reason it's just not doing that much for me right now. JML897

The album definitely improves on a second listen (well, it did for me), but I still think it falls well short of Kanye and Jay-Z's best work. The production is great and sounds unique (compared to most other mainstream rap) and there are alot of great hooks, but the rapping leaves a hell of alot to be desired and I think there are more throwaway tracks than what is usual for a Kanye album or Jay Z's best albums.

flashback01231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 flashback01231
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

I would say its a 7 maybe a 7.5, i liked most of the tracks but i did feel that maybe 3 of them were more filler and didnt really have the same feeling as the rest.

Top 3 of the record are as follows.

N******s in Paris // New Day // Gotta Have It.

I think Kayne really showed some true genius with this record.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]About a 6-7 sounds right. Maybe I have to give it more time to grow on me. The production seems like something I'd love but for some reason it's just not doing that much for me right now. GreySeal9

The album definitely improves on a second listen (well, it did for me), but I still think it falls well short of Kanye and Jay-Z's best work. The production is great and sounds unique (compared to most other mainstream rap) and there are alot of great hooks, but the rapping leaves a hell of alot to be desired and I think there are more throwaway tracks than what is usual for a Kanye album or Jay Z's best albums.

Personally the rapping is fine for me but the hooks are terrible. An example "Made In America"
MrBubbles59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MrBubbles59
Member since 2010 • 686 Posts

Pretty disappointing compared to what I was expecting.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]About a 6-7 sounds right. Maybe I have to give it more time to grow on me. The production seems like something I'd love but for some reason it's just not doing that much for me right now. Swanogt19

Personally the rapping is fine for me but the hooks are terrible. An example "Made In America"

Disagree about Made in America. I thought that chorus was gorgeous personally.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

listening to it now, the ablum is the definition of hit and miss, either the song is great or it sucks.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

I like the album more each time I listen to it. Kanye specifically upped his game on this one, in terms of rapping. The production is fantastic, as always.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Overall, I'll say that I didn't like it all that much, but I was surprised by the number of tracks that stood out to me. Normally I don't keep many of their songs in my library.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Love the first track

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#73 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Yeah Made in America had a great hook. I saw this and thought it explained it well "A hook that sums up many of the concerns of the album on this, its penultimate song. The two first couples of the civil rights movement (and of black America as a whole), Martin Luther King, Jr. and his wife Coretta Scott King; and Malcolm X and his wife Betty Shabazz are set up as icons. Jay and Kanye position themselves here as inheritors of their legacy, and also thank them for establishing the groundwork that allowed the two rappers to become the new black elite Additionally, these heroes are given just as much thanks for our protagonists' success as Jesus' mother and father, as well as Christ Himself This hook also references the religious feeling of the civil rights movement (and of black life in America generally), which was steeped in Christianity."
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"] Personally the rapping is fine for me but the hooks are terrible. An example "Made In America"Toriko42

Yeah Made in America had a great hook. I saw this and thought it explained it well "A hook that sums up many of the concerns of the album on this, its penultimate song. The two first couples of the civil rights movement (and of black America as a whole), Martin Luther King, Jr. and his wife Coretta Scott King; and Malcolm X and his wife Betty Shabazz are set up as icons. Jay and Kanye position themselves here as inheritors of their legacy, and also thank them for establishing the groundwork that allowed the two rappers to become the new black elite Additionally, these heroes are given just as much thanks for our protagonists' success as Jesus' mother and father, as well as Christ Himself This hook also references the religious feeling of the civil rights movement (and of black life in America generally), which was steeped in Christianity."

Yeah, that does a good job of explaining some of the beauty of that hook. Honestly, I thought that was the deepest song on the album and your post reinforces that.