The religious conversion topic

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
Meh.....I wouldn't convert.
BountyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 BountyBound
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I would choose Buddhism, for two reasons:
1. I'm an atheist and Buddhism does not require a belief in god it is also more of a philosophy then religion.
2. Its teachings are based around how to live to minimize the pain of others and yourself so it's not destructive as other religions and the teachings make sense.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Meh.....I wouldn't convert.LJS9502_basic

It's a hypothetical question. You don't get the choice to not convert. Just assume that your your religion/theistic position ceases to exist at all.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I must say one issue I have with this topic. Imagine that you told someone, "Imagine that this wall was not red, what color would it be?" What do you mean, if it's not red then... how do you even answer that question? I feel the same way about this topic...
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Meh.....I wouldn't convert.gameguy6700

It's a hypothetical question. You don't get the choice to not convert. Just assume that your your religion/theistic position ceases to exist at all.

It's not that easy, at least it isn't for me. I can't imagine being a part of any other religion/belief.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Shintoism or Buddhism.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

I must say one issue I have with this topic. Imagine that you told someone, "Imagine that this wall was not red, what color would it be?" What do you mean, if it's not red then... how do you even answer that question? I feel the same way about this topic...mindstorm
If it wasn't red it would be blue because I like the colour blue. Blue would have been my second choice if I didn't pain it red.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Meh.....I wouldn't convert.gameguy6700

Of course I get that choice. If I found that I had no religious belief then I'd not convert to another. If I have a religious belief....why would I convert since I already have a belief system? I don't see the logic in converting merely to convert.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I must say one issue I have with this topic. Imagine that you told someone, "Imagine that this wall was not red, what color would it be?" What do you mean, if it's not red then... how do you even answer that question? I feel the same way about this topic...BumFluff122

If it wasn't red it would be blue because I like the colour blue. Blue would have been my second choice if I didn't pain it red.

But is the color of a wall purely relative to your desires? If the wall is not red then it's a color that is identical to red... which would still mean it's red.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Meh.....I wouldn't convert.LJS9502_basic

Of course I get that choice. If I found that I had no religious belief then I'd not convert to another. If I have a religious belief....why would I convert since I already have a belief system? I don't see the logic in converting merely to convert.

Hence the word "hypothetical". >_>

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

Teenaged

Hence the word 'logic".>__>

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I must say one issue I have with this topic. Imagine that you told someone, "Imagine that this wall was not red, what color would it be?" What do you mean, if it's not red then... how do you even answer that question? I feel the same way about this topic...mindstorm

But is the color of a wall purely relative to your desires? If the wall is not red then it's a color that is identical to red... which would still mean it's red.

In this question yes it is, just as the original question was based on your personal desires other than what is. It's a secondary choice just as the original question asks for a secondary choice. The colour blue is a secondary choice. If red did not exist I would paint that wall blue because blue is my second favourite colour. If red did not exist then blue would now be my favourite colour. The original question basuically asks if you religion did not exist what religion woudl you prefer to be.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 gameguy6700

I must say one issue I have with this topic. Imagine that you told someone, "Imagine that this wall was not red, what color would it be?" What do you mean, if it's not red then... how do you even answer that question? I feel the same way about this topic...mindstorm

The question basically boils down to "what's another religion that you like or could see yourself liking?". It's just meant to get people to think about other cultures/religions and look at the positives instead of the negatives. A lot of people look at other religions as something to be immediately dismissed, that have no validity, and that are just plain wrong in just about every area. This question thus forces you to put aside the issues of "my religion is right, everyone else is wrong" and figure out which other religion(s) you like based upon the morals that they espouse and/or the beliefs they hold. Certainly there's at least one other religion out there that you can like for what they believe in. You may not agree with everything they have to say, but you can still appreciate the religion nonetheless.

I'd imagine that most people have at least one religion that they say "well, if I ever did convert, it would be to that". Sure, the devoutly religious will probably have some problems on this question, but most people aren't that deeply entrenched in their faith.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Of course I get that choice. If I found that I had no religious belief then I'd not convert to another. If I have a religious belief....why would I convert since I already have a belief system? I don't see the logic in converting merely to convert.

LJS9502_basic

Hence the word 'logic".>__>

A hypothetical situation proposes a different logic: that you must convert.

If you dont like the logic you are just unable to participate in the hypothetical scenario.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I must say one issue I have with this topic. Imagine that you told someone, "Imagine that this wall was not red, what color would it be?" What do you mean, if it's not red then... how do you even answer that question? I feel the same way about this topic...gameguy6700

The question basically boils down to "what's another religion that you like or could see yourself liking?". It's just meant to get people to think about other cultures/religions and look at the positives instead of the negatives. A lot of people look at other religions as something to be immediately dismissed, that have no validity, and that are just plain wrong in just about every area. This question thus forces you to put aside the issues of "my religion is right, everyone else is wrong" and figure out which other religion(s) you like based upon the morals that they espouse and/or the beliefs they hold. Certainly there's at least one other religion out there that you can like for what they believe in. You may not agree with everything they have to say, but you can still appreciate the religion nonetheless.

I'd imagine that most people have at least one religion that they say "well, if I ever did convert, it would be to that". Sure, the devoutly religious will probably have some problems on this question, but most people aren't that deeply entrenched in their faith.

There might not be another answer. If one is strong in their faith....there should not be.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LJS9502_basic

[A hypothetical situation proposes a different logic: that you must convert.

If you dont like the logic you are just unable to participate in the hypothetical scenario.

Teenaged

There is NO logic in MUST convert. If one has a strong faith...they will not convert. If one has no faith....they will not convert. I see no reason why throwing the word hypothetical means it HAS to happen.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mindstorm

In this question yes it is, just as the original question was based on your personal desires other than what is. It's a secondary choice just as the original question asks for a secondary choice. The colour blue is a secondary choice. If red did not exist I would paint that wall blue because blue is my second favourite colour. If red did not exist then blue would now be my favourite colour. The original question basuically asks if you religion did not exist what religion woudl you prefer to be.

BumFluff122

So then essentially if objective truth did not exist then what would be my subjective preference? ...I have no idea which I'd choose. o.0

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

There is NO logic in MUST convert. If one has a strong faith...they will not convert. If one has no faith....they will not convert. I see no reason why throwing the word hypothetical means it HAS to happen.

It has to happen in this particular hypothetical scenario.

Not in reality. :|

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic

Teenaged

But it doesn't make sense to me....so I don't have to pick. I can't conceive of conversion working that way.....

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

But it doesn't make sense to me....so I don't have to pick. I can't conceive of conversion working that way.....

But yeah thats the point. A hypothetical scenario doesnt have to make sense in reality.

Hence why its hypothetical.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

But yeah thats the point. A hypothetical scenario doesnt have to make sense in reality.

Hypothetical does not mean logic is missing....
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Meh.....I wouldn't convert.LJS9502_basic

Way to miss the point of this thread.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] But it doesn't make sense to me....so I don't have to pick. I can't conceive of conversion working that way.....

LJS9502_basic

Hypothetical does not mean logic is missing....

It means that a different logic is applied.

One that you may not agree with. And therefore and may make no sense. But its not supposed to make sense.

In this example: Imagine that you have 3 sisters. Would you marry before them or wait until they are settled.

Should we all reply to this.....:

"But I dont have 3 sisters!"

?

Or in a similarly bizarre example:

Imagine you have 3 arms. Where would you want to have the third?

Should we all reply....:

"But its abnormal to have 3 arms!"

?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Do you know what "hypothetical" means?

A hypothetical question doesn't have to make sense. A hypothetical question is just meant to propose a scenario without having to deal with reality or logic, and then get your response to that fictional scenario. In a hypothetical question the asker can impose whatever contraints, qualifications, or freedoms that they wish. In this question the choice of "not converting" is removed since it defeats the purpose of the question. If yo

For example, another hypothetical question would be "If you got to choose between a T-rex, a rainbow colored llama, or pikachu as a pet, which would it be?". For obvious reasons you would never encounter such a choice in real life, but the question is posed nonetheless.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

gameguy6700

A hypothetical question doesn't have to make sense. A hypothetical question is just meant to propose a scenario without having to deal with reality or logic, and then get your response to that fictional scenario. In a hypothetical question the asker can impose whatever contraints, qualifications, or freedoms that they wish. In this question the choice of "not converting" is removed since it defeats the purpose of the question. If yo

For example, another hypothetical question would be "If you got to choose between a T-rex, a rainbow colored llama, or pikachu as a pet, which would it be?". For obvious reasons you would never encounter such a choice in real life, but the question is posed nonetheless.

I don't see anywhere in the definition where it says logic is removed....

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Teenaged

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is NO logic in MUST convert. If one has a strong faith...they will not convert. If one has no faith....they will not convert. I see no reason why throwing the word hypothetical means it HAS to happen.

LJS9502_basic

I already explained. Logic is not removed.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is NO logic in MUST convert. If one has a strong faith...they will not convert. If one has no faith....they will not convert. I see no reason why throwing the word hypothetical means it HAS to happen.

LJS9502_basic

A hypothetical situation does not have to be possible. For example, I could ask you, if you were God, how would you treat people? Obviously, you're not God, nor will you ever be. That doesn't mean there is no validity to the question.

You either don't understand the purpose of a hypothetical question or are too closed-minded in your beliefs to answer the question.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 stepnkev

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

gameguy6700

Well – look at it this way. It took me 20 years of researching, questioning, and praying to finally find the religion I am comfortable and happy with as well as believing it is true. I can't make this decision "hypothetically". Why does it bother you and other posters so much if someone cannot answer this "hypothetical" question? I honestly can't picture myself believing anything else and apparently I am not alone.

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

im was and InshAllah will be muslim

phoenix-serpent

damn right bro

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic

A hypothetical situation does not have to be possible. For example, I could ask you, if you were God, how would you treat people? Obviously, you're not God, nor will you ever be. That doesn't mean there is no validity to the question.

You either don't understand the purpose of a hypothetical question or are too closed-minded in your beliefs to answer the question.

chessmaster1989

*sigh* I've given my answer as to why. Not my problem if you don't like it. Hypothetical still has the value of logic to it. I explained my reasoning as well. As for beliefs....for one to truly believe they have to research. So close minded doesn't apply in that instance.;)

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

LJS9502_basic

*sigh* I've given my answer as to why. Not my problem if you don't like it. Hypothetical still has the value of logic to it. I explained my reasoning as well. As for beliefs....for one to truly believe they have to research. So close minded doesn't apply in that instance.;)

It's a harmless question that will never happen, and you're not expected to give a well-thought-out answer. It's like asking "what's the first thing you'd do if you suddenly got 1 million dollars." If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer it, and just don't post. Don't deliberately ignore the conditions of the hypothetical question. :|

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 stepnkev

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

chessmaster1989

It has nothing to do with being close-minded. Why not open your mind and understand some people may not be able to answer the question.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

stepnkev

Well – look at it this way. It took me 20 years of researching, questioning, and praying to finally find the religion I am comfortable and happy with as well as believing it is true. I can't make this decision "hypothetically". Why does it bother you and other posters so much if someone cannot answer this "hypothetical" question? I honestly can't picture myself believing anything else and apparently I am not alone.

It doesn't bother me. I wasn't even addressing people who are refusing to answer. I was addresing LJ and the fact that he doesn't seem to know what a hypothetical question is.

If you don't feel comfortable answering the question then you don't have to. Just don't post in the topic and carry on like usual.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

stepnkev

It has nothing to do with being close-minded. Why not open your mind and understand some people may not be able to answer the question.

As I said, it is not meant to be a serious question. Look at my first post in this thread and you'll see I was not giving a serious answer.

If you don't think you can answer, don't post. It's as simple as that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic

It's a harmless question that will never happen, and you're not expected to give a well-thought-out answer. It's like asking "what's the first thing you'd do if you suddenly got 1 million dollars." If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer it, and just don't post. Don't deliberately ignore the conditions of the hypothetical question. :|

chessmaster1989

I gave him an answer. As I stated it's not my fault if you didn't like the answer. But I gave one. Now why not answer the question yourself and stop reiterating that you didn't like mine.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Teenaged

LJS9502_basic

My examples show perfectly that you are wrong.

Logic is not removed. A hypothesis presents a different logic.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

I gave him an answer. As I stated it's not my fault if you didn't like the answer. But I gave one. Now why not answer the question yourself and stop reiterating that you didn't like mine.

My answer is on the first page. ;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic

Teenaged

Your opinion? I gave him an answer as to why I don't logically think this question can be answered. That is not something one can argue against. Oh I realize that any time I post an answer some users (not stating who they are) feel the need to argue against my answer instead of sticking to the topic...but I won't change my answer because some individuals don't accept it.;)

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 gameguy6700

LJS9502_basic

The reason people are getting onto you is because you directly avoided the question. You may as well have not even posted.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Your opinion? I gave him an answer as to why I don't logically think this question can be answered. That is not something one can argue against. Oh I realize that any time I post an answer some users (not stating who they are) feel the need to argue against my answer instead of sticking to the topic...but I won't change my answer because some individuals don't accept it.;)

I do love your veiled attack on me. That's okay, though, some of us are willing to admit that we're wrong or posted too hastily from time to time :lol:

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Your opinion? I gave him an answer as to why I don't logically think this question can be answered. That is not something you can argue against. Oh I realize that any time I post an answer some users (not stating who they are) feel the need to argue against my answer instead of sticking to the topic...but I won't change my answer because some individuals don't accept it.;)

No. Its your opinion that logic is removed.

Yes, indeed LJS, derailing a topic is so uncommon that we must be after you to do something like that.

And no, I dont want you to change your first answer. Wasnt my goal.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 stepnkev

[QUOTE="stepnkev"]

chessmaster1989

As I said, it is not meant to be a serious question. Look at my first post in this thread and you'll see I was not giving a serious answer.

If you don't think you can answer, don't post. It's as simple as that.

Thanks for the concern, but I am able to post when and how I please. There is nothing wrong with what I posted as my answer.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

chessmaster1989

I do love your veiled attack on me. That's okay, though, some of us are willing to admit that we're wrong or posted too hastily from time to time :lol:

You give yourself too much credit. I wasn't referring to specific people.;_
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#95 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
It, along with its derivative religions (Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism), don't claim they are the "one true" religion, but merely one of the many paths to the same goal.foxhound_fox
I'm Sikh myself too :P I would most likely convert to Buddhism or Hinduism as well if I had to
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 LJS9502_basic

Yes, indeed LJS, derailing a topic is so uncommon that we must be after you to do something like that.

Teenaged

Just as it's yours that it wasn't. And? I gave MY ANSWER. Leave it alone.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Teenaged

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Your opinion? I gave him an answer as to why I don't logically think this question can be answered. That is not something one can argue against. Oh I realize that any time I post an answer some users (not stating who they are) feel the need to argue against my answer instead of sticking to the topic...but I won't change my answer because some individuals don't accept it.;)

LJS9502_basic

Really? You are not referring to specific people...?

Riiiight. >_>

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Just as it's yours that it wasn't. And? I gave MY ANSWER. Leave it.

Nope its not my opinion LJS.

I demonstrated that with my examples perfectly.

I am not telling you to change your answer. I am just correcting you when you said that this hypothesis is unanswerable because its illogical.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Your opinion? I gave him an answer as to why I don't logically think this question can be answered. That is not something one can argue against. Oh I realize that any time I post an answer some users (not stating who they are) feel the need to argue against my answer instead of sticking to the topic...but I won't change my answer because some individuals don't accept it.;)

LJS9502_basic

Hmm, considering in the past you've criticized me for coming into threads and attacking you "without reading the entire conversation" (an assumption which was false, but which you were unwilling to admit ;)), I'm guessing that post was directed at least in part at me. You've never been very subtle about these things, LJS.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LJS9502_basic

Really? You are not referring to specific people...?

Riiiight. >_>

Teenaged

You can think what you like.
I've been here awhile...I'm used to people that go personal instead of discuss merit. Though they tend to blur until I don't remember them. You are arguing my answer because you don't like it. Period. Not discussing the topic with me.