The mordern world boring - Comparision with vintage and medieval world

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

Don't you agree this era is boring. No adventures, thrills,etc.

Take the instance of vintage world filled up with Mafias, familys, gentlemen, real women, classic cars, respect and excitement.

Consider the medieval era preoccupied with masculine worriors, swords, horses, honour, life amidst forests and nature.

And today, all we can do is just sit in front of our screens to watch a movie or play games to get that feel. RPGs etc. are all played to get that natural feel but all the thrill, excitement is now shrinked to virtuality in a screen!

CajunMadePunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CajunMadePunk
Member since 2011 • 7425 Posts
That's nice.:|
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Take the instance of vintage world filled up with Mafias, familys, gentlemen, real women, classic cars, respect and excitement.

true_gamer007

Yeah unless you're black then sucks to be you

:lol: "Respect"

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
This may shock you but throughout the history of mankind the average person has had a pretty boring uneventful life of "grow work die". I'd imagine the amount of people having "adventures" these days is still, as a percent, around the same as it has been throughout history.
mikekjones24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mikekjones24
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts
All of those things you are describing are things made up by people who live now a days.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
yeah, I can't wait to go back to the medieval age and die when I'm 30 as a poor farm worker.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

You wouldn't live long in the medieval era. I think you'd prefer boring over the possibility of constant death.

There was no concept of individual human rights. It simply didn't exist.

The church ruled your life who knows maybe it still does at least now you can choose not to let it.

You know how monkeys sit and pick bugs off each other ? This was a common practise in medieval households before bed time.

Peasants lived in mud huts and usually slept on straw floors with their pigs who kept them warm.

They had no concept of crop rotation for farming they reused the same fields and didn't understand why nothing grew, then the local lord would come and punish them, rape their women knock them up, and rob them.

You could die from a scratch, there was no concept of first aid.

Bandages were developed by accident. The normal method for treating someone with a wound was to pour melted wax on the opening. You kept doing this and cut off the parts that festered. During a siege this medic ran out of wax. He decided to use some rags. He noticed that after a week the people with clean rags were surprisingly alive and better off then those with wax. He recorded his findings and tried to put his ideas forth in a medical college and was laughed out.

You were property. You could not travel. If you travelled to another town you'd probably be killed. Strangers brought sickness, and possibly knocking up cousin sister wives or taking them away since inbreeding and rape was rampant in those times.

You'd most likely marry someone within your immediate family. It was common, still is in some parts of the world lol.

In the book The Deeds of Louis the Fat after a battle the King had to retreat from the english, gets lost and asks peasants for directions who make fun of him for claiming to be king, the king had to sleep with his armor on since he maintained his power at the behest of his lords. Louis would die after his face was nicked by an arrow, deeming the wound a scratch it got infected and he died.

Exciting stuff ! yeah not.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
yeah, I can't wait to go back to the medieval age and die when I'm 30 as a poor farm worker. LZ71
Yeah I probably would've died before I even made it to my teens without modern medicine..I'm sure there are a bunch of people here like that too. I'll take today.
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts

Consider the medieval era preoccupied with masculine worriors, swords, horses, honour, life amidst forests and nature.

And today, all we can do is just sit in front of our screens to watch a movie or play games to get that feel. RPGs etc. are all played to get that natural feel but all the thrill, excitement is now shrinked to virtuality in a screen!

true_gamer007
Thats not true about today,using your mind is as tough and enjoyable as using your muscles,also today is not boring since I can talk with people the other world. Go read Yotsuba TC!
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Medieval age -- most likely a peasant who dies before age 30 while nearly working to death every day of every week and barely getting by under oppression by the middle and upper classes. Industrial revolution? Equally terrible unless I'm in the top 5% of the population, which is, statistically speaking, unlikely. If I'm in Eastern Europe, serfdom. Even worse. I'm good living nowadays.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

This may shock you but throughout the history of mankind the average person has had a pretty boring uneventful life of "grow work die". I'd imagine the amount of people having "adventures" these days is still, as a percent, around the same as it has been throughout history. Ace6301

This.

But really TC if you want adventure then join the armed forces.

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts
Why didn't the medieval people not take a hint from the roman baths surrounding them?
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
Sorry, I'm a fan of antibiotics.
ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ehhwhatever
If you have a party TC start the party before I get there, you know what I mean?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Consider the medieval era preoccupied with masculine worriors

.. These warriors are no different from the soldiers of today..

, swords

Would be a great way to go, get a deep knick by a sword and die due to a infection due to a absolute LACK of knowledge of micro-organisms or modern day medicines..

, horses, honour

Sorry but no.. The "honor" you talk of has been romanticized by modern era writers and pop culture.. Knights for instance during the Middle Ages acted more like Mafia thugs enforcing their fuedal system then anything coming close to the television depiction of them..

, life amidst forests and nature.

No.. Christian belief during the Mid to Colonial periods thought it was their divine mission to rip down nature and mold it to their own control..

true_gamer007

People who say this clearly have read little of the era.. During these very times half of Europes population DIED quickly due to Bubonic plague.. The region was rife with religious persecution, economic/social/religion/etc inequality..

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
Imagine living in the medieval world: one day you develop a cavity. You thus require a dentist. The year is 1,110. Think about how much the dentist sucks today, then think about it 1,110. A year later, since mouth care is so poor, you develop gingivitis. Back to the dentist. Thanks but no thanks. I am staying in 2012.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="true_gamer007"]

Ever heard of the word "dramatization?"
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
I'm a sucker for medieval times...so yeah.
Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts
Vintage? you mean like 1920s? I honestly have never heard that time period refered to as "vintage". But technically the belief that people died at 30 in the middle ages is a falsehood- yes, the average age was 30 but this was because 2/3 or more of kids died in their infancy. If you survived past age 10, you had a pretty good shot at living to see 50 or 60.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JML897

But technically the belief that people died at 30 in the middle ages is a falsehood- yes, the average age was 30 but this was because 2/3 or more of kids died in their infancy. If you survived past age 10, you had a pretty good shot at living to see 50 or 60. Tokugawa77

That makes it even worse if you ask me.

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ehhwhatever

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"] But technically the belief that people died at 30 in the middle ages is a falsehood- yes, the average age was 30 but this was because 2/3 or more of kids died in their infancy. If you survived past age 10, you had a pretty good shot at living to see 50 or 60. JML897

That makes it even worse if you ask me.

nah tokukawa77 is ok
DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

You can call the era we are living in a lot of things. Boring is not one of them.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Medieval times with an average lifespan of 40, people dumping sewage on the street and having little to no basic rights? That sounds like a great time to live in, not to mention the exuberant rates we have to pay for indulgences by the Church with too much political power.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Yeah, and my neighbour's lawn is greener than mine.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#25 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I don't understand why some people always say stupid sh*t like this. You've been playing too many video games/watching too many movies and not reading enough history of that era if you truly think there was so much more adventure back then. A normal person then had no more adventure than a normal person now. The only real differences are that they lived in more squalid conditions, had less freedoms, and died at earlier ages, etc.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

You can keep your swords.

I'll keep my vaccines, plumbing, and a little thing called THE INTERNET!!!

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
Only the deepest ignorance of life in such times can allow for this question. It's one thing to enjoy romantic notions of the past, but to believe them is just... witless.
true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

Damn. You guys are drowning my expectations. But if you you are talking about short life, harsh conditions, you're looking at the dark side of that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If you lived in the medieval world, you'd probably be a lowly farmer who dies at 30... knowing nothing but digging in the dirt, fearing God and giving most of your income (which is grain) up to the lord. It wasn't a romantic place to live.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

You play too many video games.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

You can call the era we are living in a lot of things. Boring is not one of them.

DJ419

I find it insanely boring.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Ilovegames1992

Maybe it's just you.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FMAB_GTO

[QUOTE="DJ419"]

Ilovegames1992

How so?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Damn. You guys are drowning my expectations. But if you you are talking about short life, harsh conditions, you're looking at the dark side of that.

true_gamer007

There was no upside to it for anyone but the wealthiest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
deactivated-5f9ba38f308de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

Yeah, the modern world is boring. I miss carrying a sword around and slaying dragons. I use to be an adventurer like you, til I took an arrow to the knee.

But in all seriousness, the amount of things you could do with your life and experience is unfathomable in these times. How is that not exciting? You must still be 12 and have a curfew, forced to abide by your parent's rules and have no freedom. I don't know what kind of fantasy world you live in, or what kind of "hipster" you are but I enjoy life quite a bit. How do you "miss" vintage and medieval times when you never experienced it? Dumb.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

What the hell does the first choice in the poll say???? And what do you mean by vintage? You actually think that living in old times, without medicine where the average lifespan was less than 50 years, having to hunt for food and live in fear of attack and death every day of your life is a good thing?

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#37 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

I have a book called The Burgundian Code. It details punishments for accidentally skewering people carrying your sword or spear around in the towns. it did happen.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Necrifer

Maybe it's just you.

Possibly.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="DJ419"]

FMAB_GTO

How so?

What's so exciting about it?

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FMAB_GTO

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

How so?

A lot of stuff like playing video games,watching anime/TV,reading soe epic books,learning the secrets of the creatures,and a lot more.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] How so?FMAB_GTO

A lot of stuff like playing video games,watching anime/TV,reading soe epic books,learning the secrets of the creatures,and a lot more.

Meh

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FMAB_GTO

Ilovegames1992

Meh

Well I wish you have a happy life man.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
dying from infection because i got a small cut? teeth rotted out of mouth at age 30? ( if you make it that far ) not really my thing. i'll take the modern world, thank you.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] A lot of stuff like playing video games,watching anime/TV,reading soe epic books,learning the secrets of the creatures,and a lot more.FMAB_GTO

Meh

I'm living life a little too hard sometimes....

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FMAB_GTO

Meh

Ilovegames1992

Everyone is?
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

In all honesty though, the past wasn't all that great, with the disease and whatnot.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] Well I wish you have a happy life man.FMAB_GTO

Everyone is?

Yeah. I party hard.

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

Isnt that what skyrim and L.A Noir for?

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#49 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I wouldn't have minded living in the roaring twenties, well, except for that whole WWI thing that preceded it and that whole great depression thing that ended it. Other than those little problems though, I think it would have been a grand time. Thirties and forties would have pretty much sucked, but the fifties might have been all right.

Would never want to have lived in medieval times. Those people were peasants - they did back-breaking labor all day and when they got done in the evening, you know what they did for entertainment? They stared out the window.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I wouldn't have minded living in the roaring twenties, well, except for that whole WWI thing that preceded it and that whole great depression thing that ended it. Other than those little problems though, I think it would have been a grand time. Thirties and forties would have pretty much sucked, but the fifties might have been all right.

Would never want to have lived in medieval times. Those people were peasants - they did back-breaking labor all day and when they got done in the evening, you know what they did for entertainment? They stared out the window.

Jackc8
Or watched public hangings, or took part in various uprisings. French Revolution anyone?