Technology For Immortality Only 20 Years Away, Scientist Claims

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Give me some nanobots please! :D

Immortality only 20 years away says scientist

Scientist Ray Kurzweil claims humans could become immortal in as little as 20 years' time through nanotechnology and an increased understanding of how the body works.

Terminator

The rich could all be cyborgs in the future.

The 61-year-old American, who has predicted new technologies arriving before, says our understanding of genes and computer technology is accelerating at an incredible rate.

He says theoretically, at the rate our understanding is increasing, nanotechnologies capable of replacing many of our vital organs could be available in 20 years time.

Mr Kurzweil adds that although his claims may seem far-fetched, artificial pancreases and neural implants are already available.

Mr Kurzweil calls his theory the Law of Accelerating Returns. Writing inThe Sun, Mr Kurzweil said: "I and many other scientists now believe that in around 20 years we will have the means to reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing. Then nanotechnology will let us live for ever.

"Ultimately, nanobots will replace blood cells and do their work thousands of times more effectively.

"Within 25 years we will be able to do an Olympic sprint for 15 minutes without taking a breath, or go scuba-diving for four hours without oxygen.

"Heart-attack victims – who haven't taken advantage of widely available bionic hearts – will calmly drive to the doctors for a minor operation as their blood bots keep them alive.

"Nanotechnology will extend our mental capacities to such an extent we will be able to write books within minutes.

"If we want to go into virtual-reality mode, nanobots will shut down brain signals and take us wherever we want to go. Virtual sex will become commonplace. And in our daily lives, hologram like figures will pop in our brain to explain what is happening.

"So we can look forward to a world where humans become cyborgs, with artificial limbs and organs."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6217676/Immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist.html

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poor
Apocalypse97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Apocalypse97
Member since 2008 • 1758 Posts

Who wants to be a cyborg? :?

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Apocalypse97

Well technically, having nanobots in your body doesn't make you a cyborg.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Apocalypse97

I do! As long as it's done right, how does it matter? So long as I don't feel, or see any indication that I'm not human (besides dying of old age...) and I retain my personal consciousness, not a simulation of my consciousness.

Death is for losers anyway.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

And that is something that wont happen.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Inconsistancy

gaming25
Why not!? Maybe the timescale is off, but I see no reason why it cannot happen.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poorAce6301
It would be futile to riot, too. Since it would be a bunch of normal people vs supersoldiers.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I'll take death thanks.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poorBranKetra
It would be futile to riot, too. Since they would all be supersoldiers.

Picture the head of Newt Gingrich aged 20 years further stuffed onto the body of a Terminator wading through the crowds with a minigun. That's the future! I wonder if I make enough to join him...
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poorBranKetra

It would be futile to riot, too. Since it would be a bunch of normal people vs supersoldiers.

I don't think that 'gen1' cyborgs would be much stronger than regular humans, if at all. I'd think it'd take a few generations, at least, for the technology to fully surpass humanity.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
i wouldn't mind living another 1000 years
GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts
[QUOTE="gaming25"]

Inconsistancy

The government wouldn't let it happen. Immortality is a horrible idea. The people who could afford to live forever are the corrupt a-holes that made the world what it is today, and dictators would never leave office. If immortality ever did become accessible enough to become mainstream, overcrowding would probably take a year or 2.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Cool. Maybe it'll be affordable by the time I'm old.
GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts
I'll take death thanks.PernicioEnigma
+1
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poorAce6301

that reminds of the movie In Time, it was decent.

on topic - that's pretty cool.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Inconsistancy
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

GuitarPAaron

The government wouldn't let it happen. Immortality is a horrible idea. The people who could afford to live forever are the corrupt a-holes that made the world what it is today, and dictators would never leave office. If immortality ever did become accessible enough to become mainstream, overcrowding would probably take a year or 2.

I could afford to live forever, it's called a job. Evil dictators would still be overthrown by the masses(may just take longer), and overcrowding can be solved by sterilization.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gaming25

[QUOTE="gaming25"]

Inconsistancy

No one on earth can live forever. We transition no matter the technology. In order to understand immortality, you would have to know the mysteries of the soul.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poorAce6301
It would be futile to riot, too. Since they would all be supersoldiers.

Picture the head of Newt Gingrich aged 20 years further stuffed onto the body of a Terminator wading through the crowds with a minigun. That's the future! I wonder if I make enough to join him...

Could totally see that happening. Unfortunately. I think it costs a hundred thousand US or so for a personalized gene mapping. So, it would probably cost even more until it gets commercialized like Deus Ex.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

gaming25

No one on earth can live forever. We transition no matter the technology. In order to uncrack immortality, you must know the mysteries of the soul.

There isn't a soul, luckily, just have to keep the brain from falling apart/degrading, may not be easy, but it's not impossible to be ~immortal. I mean, the end of the Universe is still going to get ya', but you're still pretty immortal compared to a regular human.

Unless by 'soul' you mean your personal conciousness, I'm not suggesting making the brain into a machine, and transfering, just keep the brain from falling apart, replace it molecule by molecule if you have to.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
But will it fix my face?
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gaming25

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] Why not!? Maybe the timescale is off, but I see no reason why it cannot happen.Inconsistancy
No one on earth can live forever. We transition no matter the technology. In order to uncrack immortality, you must know the mysteries of the soul.

There isn't a soul, luckily, just have to keep the brain from falling apart/degrading, may not be easy, but it's not impossible to be ~immortal. I mean, the end of the Universe is still going to get ya', but you're still pretty immortal compared to a regular human.

There is a soul. The body is different from the soul. A body is something that decays over time, but if you treat the soul well, then it can live on forever.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 branketra
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]

I don't think that 'gen1' cyborgs would be much stronger than regular humans, if at all. I'd think it'd take a few generations, at least, for the technology to fully surpass humanity.

By generations, do you mean like computer technology and cars in a commercial sense? I can imagine it taking a while, but I could see it happening quickly in the experimental forms (non-commercial)
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] It would be futile to riot, too. Since it would be a bunch of normal people vs supersoldiers.

BranKetra

By generations, do you mean like computer technology and cars in a commercial sense? I can imagine it taking a while, but I could see it happening quickly in the experimental forms (non-commercial)

Yes, and I agree with the last bit as well, who knows.. maybe even gen1 would be > human... we're scary SoB's with our techology to kill afterall.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="gaming25"] No one on earth can live forever. We transition no matter the technology. In order to uncrack immortality, you must know the mysteries of the soul.gaming25

There is a soul.

Strong argument you got there. In response to your edit: see above sentence.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gaming25
[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] There isn't a soul, luckily, just have to keep the brain from falling apart/degrading, may not be easy, but it's not impossible to be ~immortal. I mean, the end of the Universe is still going to get ya', but you're still pretty immortal compared to a regular human.Ace6301
There is a soul.

Strong argument you got there.

I edited it, but i'll post it again... The body is different from the soul. A body is something that decays over time, but if you treat the soul well, then it can live on forever.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] I don't think that 'gen1' cyborgs would be much stronger than regular humans, if at all. I'd think it'd take a few generations, at least, for the technology to fully surpass humanity.Inconsistancy

Yes, and I agree with the last bit as well, who knows.. maybe even gen1 would be > human... we're scary SoB's with our techology to kill afterall.

It will probably be marketed in a familiar sense, at first. That way, people wouldn't think the Terminators are coming. After that, more variety will start to show up.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
But will it fix my face?KiIIyou
LOL
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

That would suck on so many levels, my god. Really hope it never happens.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 superclocked
Sad, but true...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superclocked
Immortality can already be achieved through the production of synthetic DNA. The real question is, when, if ever, will it be available to the public?
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

reminds me of the movie galaxy express 999 people trade in their human bodys for machines to live forever and to become powerful.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

move along people, its just a claim as did scientist of the 50's predict that we have a moon base and traveling to the stars by now.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
I must posses it! But it will be very expensive so only the D bags will get it...
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

ZZZZ I'd rather be immortal at my current age. I don't want to be stuck in a 43 year olds body for all eternity.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I'm still waiting for my hovercar and robot maid.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
That's the only reason I'm in college and studying I ain't dying of old age son!
Avatar image for Chickenchoker10
Chickenchoker10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chickenchoker10
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

As long as everyone has their personality, then i'm fine with it, you don't want the world to get boring ya know.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
I'll take death thanks.PernicioEnigma
you could still choose to switch yourself off centuries/millenia down the road.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Nothing new, that prediction is actually based on statistics, i believe it's that at the current rate of life expectancy increase that any child born after 2034 will be theoretically immortal.
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

What I've always wanted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
If life is still worth living then, I'll take it.
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

My thing is, how would your "looks" age? If you got them when you were 30, after 30 more years, will you look like a 60 year old, or the same as you were when you were 30? And how would your motor skills function?

Too much for me, not to mention I wouldn't be able to/pay for them anyway lol

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#44 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts

If this is true then i can't wait :D

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

AussieePet

You wouldn't handle it.

ColdExistence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ColdExistence
Member since 2011 • 974 Posts

Deus Ex.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
that reminds of the movie In Time, it was decent.SirWander
Really? I thought it was pretty bad.
There is a soul. The body is different from the soul. A body is something that decays over time, but if you treat the soul well, then it can live on forever.gaming25
That sounds lovely and all but it's a bunch of bulls***.
Immortality is a horrible idea. The people who could afford to live forever are the corrupt a-holes that made the world what it is today, and dictators would never leave office. If immortality ever did become accessible enough to become mainstream, overcrowding would probably take a year or 2.GuitarPAaron
This.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#48 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts

[QUOTE="AussieePet"]

lancea34

You wouldn't handle it.

:(
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
Sounds far fetched to me, hell we thought we would be on mars and robots would have taken over by 1990. I don't buy it... Although the technology will be probably exist in a couple hundred years.
CajunMadePunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CajunMadePunk
Member since 2011 • 7425 Posts
That would lead to a bunch of rich cyborg overlords.