Technology For Immortality Only 20 Years Away, Scientist Claims

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

[QUOTE="lancea34"]

[QUOTE="AussieePet"]

If this is true then i can't wait :D

AussieePet

You wouldn't handle it.

:(

You're too green to comprehend the concept of eternal life.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="gaming25"] No one on earth can live forever. We transition no matter the technology. In order to uncrack immortality, you must know the mysteries of the soul.gaming25

There isn't a soul, luckily, just have to keep the brain from falling apart/degrading, may not be easy, but it's not impossible to be ~immortal. I mean, the end of the Universe is still going to get ya', but you're still pretty immortal compared to a regular human.

There is a soul. The body is different from the soul. A body is something that decays over time, but if you treat the soul well, then it can live on forever.

Yea I am sure you are in the know on whether or not souls exist.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
That sounds lovely and all but it's a bunch of bulls***. cheese_game619
It's actually true.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
[QUOTE="Human-after-all"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

There isn't a soul, luckily, just have to keep the brain from falling apart/degrading, may not be easy, but it's not impossible to be ~immortal. I mean, the end of the Universe is still going to get ya', but you're still pretty immortal compared to a regular human.Inconsistancy

There is a soul. The body is different from the soul. A body is something that decays over time, but if you treat the soul well, then it can live on forever.

Yea I am sure you are in the know on whether or not souls exist.

Why yes.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
Immortality would be horrible. The mental strain alone would be a hell beyond words from living day after day without the natural death that is part of all life.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#56 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts

[QUOTE="AussieePet"][QUOTE="lancea34"]

You wouldn't handle it.

lancea34

:(

You're too green to comprehend the concept of eternal life.

But being green is a good thing

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Ray Kurzweil says a lot of things. Not that I disagree. Go go immortality!
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
Repo Men that is all.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Immortality cannot be attained.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

TehFuneral
It's inmortality of natural causes though I think jumping from a 20 story building is still gonna kill you
Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Im down with that.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

[QUOTE="TehFuneral"]

Darthkaiser

It's inmortality of natural causes though I think jumping from a 20 story building is still gonna kill you

OP is filled with baloney.

I would like to see some of that come true, but the guy who said that got his head way up in the clouds.

We still don't even know the exact reason on why people age, or why we yawn, or why we sweat under our armpits .. and the OP quote post makes it some future "nanomachines" would know how to and possibly control our life cycles and genes?

This is just jumping to conclusions, and giving some people what they want to hear!

I would personally love to have such scientific advancements come true, but its just too soon to make assumptions.

And, in my own opinion, inmortality by natural causes or not cannot be achieved.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]Oh man the gap between rich and poor would be legendary if that were the case. Immortal cyborg elite vs dirty factory working poorAce6301
It would be futile to riot, too. Since they would all be supersoldiers.

Picture the head of Newt Gingrich aged 20 years further stuffed onto the body of a Terminator wading through the crowds with a minigun. That's the future! I wonder if I make enough to join him...

for some reason this pops to mind.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"][QUOTE="TehFuneral"]

TehFuneral

I would like to see some of that come true, but the guy who said that got his head way up in the clouds.

We still don't even know the exact reason on why people age, or why we yawn, or why we sweat under our armpits .. and the OP quote post makes it some future "nanomachines" would know how to and possibly control our life cycles and genes?

This is just jumping to conclusions, and giving some people what they want to hear!

I would personally love to have such scientific advancements come true, but its just too soon to make assumptions.

And, in my own opinion, inmortality by natural causes or not cannot be achieved.

i think they mean eventually humans can forgo their natural bodies in favor of artificial ones while retaining their consciousness. of course they'll have to figure out wtf consciousness even is first.. i'm not expecting to live beyond a "normal" human lifetime but who knows what my great-grandchildren will get..
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"][QUOTE="TehFuneral"]

TehFuneral

Sweat under armpits, is that a joke? You can't think of a reason why we'd do that? I dunno, to dissipate heat near the CORE OF THE BODY. /facedesk. It's not like your arms are welded to your body, when moving the armpit is exposed to the air.

Not 100% on yawning(when tired...), but it does alliviate pressure differences in the ear.

Aging is something everything does, everything becomes more entropic over time. There are genes related to it however, and if you modified them, you could slow/stop the visual effects of it, however cancer is an issue..., obviously the dna itself is subject to the same entropy, so it 'ages' by damage, even if you modified it in a way that would 'prevent' aging.

We age to die, we're not designed to live very long, most parts of our body are designed to wear out, instead of being replaced such as teeth.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
you know what this means... KILL ALL BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
yea.. no
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"] That sounds lovely and all but it's a bunch of bulls***. gaming25
It's actually true.

Nope. You can go ahead and prove it's true if you like but I'm sure you'll come up with some religious babble to defend not being able to.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

This is terrible,

The whole point of life is to live and die like everyone else and accept the fact your not special and your going to die then go out and do as much as you can in your lifetime.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 cheese_game619
This might be harsh but it would kill off all the people that want to be with God and leave the rest of us sane people to become cyborgs and start travelling the universe.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
They are trying to give us telomerase, basically making us giant tumors.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
ITT: People do not understand the consequence of this.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 alexside1
This might be harsh but it would kill off all the people that want to be with God and leave the rest of us sane people to become cyborgs and start travelling the universe.cheese_game619
Implying that they are insane makes your a complete jackass.
jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

This is terrible,

The whole point of life is to live and die like everyone else and accept the fact your not special and your going to die then go out and do as much as you can in your lifetime.

sonofsmeagle

Regardless if this ever comes to fruition, I don't see anything wrong with extending one's life, especially in regards to living healthily and youthfully for a longer period of time. Life as they say is short, and yet still supposedly the longest thing you'll ever experience. Many people find it hard to do enough in their lifetime, and often have to struggle for years before they are in a place to make any kind of positive difference (even on a micro scale). Obviously there would have to be regulation (there would be too much economic and population growth concerns to deal with if enough people were, say, completely immortal). But even if it just entails living in one's biological prime a little bit longer, that seems well worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#77 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The aging process is interesting. We simpy accept that people age and die, but why? What cellular process takes place that causes it? There certainly are immortal cell lines that dont die off. So that's a possibility that we may find some way to halt it. However, is that in the best nature of our species? Mother nature designed us so we had an expiration date. Once people stop dying, overpopulation, war, scarcity of resources, destruction of the environment all become bigger issues.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

As much as I want for this to be true, I highly doubt it.

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

The aging process is interesting. We simpy accept that people age and die, but why? What cellular process takes place that causes it? There certainly are immortal cell lines that dont die off. So that's a possibility that we may find some way to halt it. However, is that in the best nature of our species? Mother nature designed us so we had an expiration date. Once people stop dying, overpopulation, war, scarcity of resources, destruction of the environment all become bigger issues.

sonicare

There's also a few organisms in the world that are "biologically immortal". That is, they can be killed, but just not by biological aging. I think the issues of translating that to humans are definitely there, but like I said above, even just life extension (or "prime life extension") for a somewhat longer period of time could make a world of difference. Could there be unforeseen consequences? I don't doubt it. Would those problems definitely become more pronounced? Surely. But I think the positives would be outweighed by the negatives, proven it does not change life as we know it in any other adverse ways.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 cheese_game619
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]This might be harsh but it would kill off all the people that want to be with God and leave the rest of us sane people to become cyborgs and start travelling the universe.alexside1

Makes my what a complete jackass?
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 alexside1
[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="cheese_game619"]This might be harsh but it would kill off all the people that want to be with God and leave the rest of us sane people to become cyborgs and start travelling the universe.cheese_game619

Don't play s*** on me, you know what I mean.
TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TheFatPerson

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Implying that they are insane makes your a complete jackass.alexside1

Did anybody tell you that you have a bad temper? Every time I see you post, you're always pissed off. You're a spaz. Calm the hell down.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

sonicare

Overpopulation, use sterilization... problem solved.

I don't care about *mother nature's plans*. What's so great about death, especially my own, that I should be forced to accept it? I'd honestly rather not, living > death.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 cheese_game619
[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="cheese_game619"] Makes my what a complete jackass?TheFatPerson

Did anybody tell you that you have a bad temper? Every time I see you post, you're always pissed off. You're a spaz. Calm the hell down.

Teen angst.
Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Implying that they are insane makes your a complete jackass.

Ignore the ass
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="cheese_game619"] Makes my what a complete jackass?TheFatPerson

Who the *uck are YOU telling people "to calm down"? *uck off. This doesn't concern you.
TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TheFatPerson

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Don't play s*** on me, you know what I mean.cheese_game619

Teen angst.

Teen angst? I thought he was like some fat 30 or 40 year old religious fanatic.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TheFatPerson

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] Don't play s*** on me, you know what I mean.alexside1

Who the *uck are YOU telling people "to calm down"? *uck off. This doesn't concern you.

See? You're mad.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Charazani
[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

[QUOTE="alexside1"] Don't play s*** on me, you know what I mean.alexside1

They want an emotional reaction. Just ignore them , not worth the time or energy.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 cheese_game619
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]Did anybody tell you that you have a bad temper? Every time I see you post, you're always pissed off. You're a spaz. Calm the hell down.TheFatPerson
Teen angst.

Teen angst? I thought he was like some fat 30 or 40 year old religious fanatic.

:lol: really? Well I hope for his sake it's teen angst.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 cheese_game619
They want an emotional reaction. Just ignore them , not worth the time or energy.Charazani
>being this beta He quoted me, bud. This is all him.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 alexside1
[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"][QUOTE="alexside1"] Don't play s*** on me, you know what I mean.cheese_game619

Teen angst.

And I like how you assume that I'm a teenager. Does that stroke your ego?
FearMe801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 FearMe801
Member since 2011 • 399 Posts

This isn't going to happen

think about it

if this already happened there must be someone with this kind of technology on earth

if we have this, we can further study making time machine without interuption

if time machine is already invented in the future because of this technology, why isnt anyone here on earth has it yet?

if time machine is created, they would travel back through time into present or past to make this kind of technology at early years

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]Did anybody tell you that you have a bad temper? Every time I see you post, you're always pissed off. You're a spaz. Calm the hell down.alexside1
Teen angst.

And I like how you assume that I'm a teenager. Does that stroke your ego?

I stroked my ego twice today, once this morning and once a few hours ago,

Felt good.

This immortality sh!t is awesome though, i'll be 40 then.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#95 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

sonicare
Telomeres shrink due to inhibition of the telomerase enzyme by several proteins and as we get older everytime our cells replicate they begin to slice out more and more of our genes until we can't function enough to live. Dying is the body's way of not turning into a tumor. Learn biology people.
Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Charazani
[QUOTE="Charazani"]They want an emotional reaction. Just ignore them , not worth the time or energy.cheese_game619
>being this beta He quoted me, bud. This is all him.

And your response was childish and moronic and added nothing productive.
Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Charazani
Would not want to live forever. But the option to do so would be nice.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
Oh god, not Deus Ex, I don't want to live in the world of Deus Ex after seeing the Purity First viral trailer.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
"the 61 year old" 20 years, yeah, he wishes...
Virtual sex will become commonplace.Blazerdt47
-oh, I mean, yeah, go for it doc