Suicide ??? Really ?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Wanted to see what you guys think.

I'm constantly seeing posts here with people contemplating suicide, or just "fading away" because of stupid reasons like breaking up, parents giving them a hard time etc.

I also noticed it's mostly the younger generation.

I have a work friend (she is 20 years old), she tried to commit suicide (overdose on sleeping pills) a few months back because she broke up with her BF.  She also sometimes sends me text messages at 11pm saying she wishes she had the strength to do it cause life is just too hard and it's easier just to be dead.

/START_of_Rant

Personally I think "WTF is wrong with all these people?"  Honestly, this girl I know says life is too hard?   Doesn't she realize there are people struggling to have something to eat on the table each night and she is complaining about life when she has a stable job, friends, lives in a First World Country and can go out shopping and partying? 

Do people even have a clue what suicide is and what ur giving up?  There are millions of people who would give anything to her a life like hers, and this idiot just wants to throw it away and hurt everyone in the process?

Am I being too harsh?  Is it just me or do these people just seem ridiculous? 

Opinions?  How should I proceed?

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

You do realize most people that try to commit suicide do it for attention right? They want attention lavished on them constantly. Thats why your friend texts you saying she wish she had the courage to do so.

Its especially common in younger people, they dont actually want to die, hence why so few of them do. The ones that follow through are usually either clinically insane or they simply take it to far.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The game of life is hard to play. You're gonna lose it anyway.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

worlock77
Charlie sheen is racking a high score with all the cocaine and no heart attacks
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

I've noticed that the people who are serious about suicide rarely talk about it except to maybe their closest confidants (if then), and those that talk about it are usually just attention whores who don't have the balls to make a cut that deep.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I'm constantly seeing posts here with people contemplating suicide, or just "fading away" because of stupid reasons like breaking up, parents giving them a hard time etc.

I have a work friend (she is 20 years old), she tried to commit suicide (overdose on sleeping pills) a few months back because she broke up with her BF.  She also sometimes sends me text messages at 11pm saying she wishes she had the strength to do it cause life is just too hard and it's easier just to be dead.

/START_of_Rant

Personally I think "WTF is wrong with all these people?"  Honestly, this girl I know says life is too hard?   Doesn't she realize there are people struggling to have something to eat on the table each night and she is complaining about life when she has a stable job, friends, lives in a First World Country and can go out shopping and partying? 

Do people even have a clue what suicide is and what ur giving up?  There are millions of people who would give anything to her a life like hers, and this idiot just wants to throw it away and hurt everyone in the process?

FelipeInside
Well, some people are truly depressed and some are just drama queens. It's not my place to judge, mental illness is a very real thing. Having said that, I'd do my best to distance myself from someone who's always talking like that. It may seem cruel to abandon someone when they're feeling so desperate, but I've got my own emotional well-being to worry about. And it's just a total drag being around someone who's constantly talking about how $hitty their lives are.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

You do realize most people that try to commit suicide do it for attention right? They want attention lavished on them constantly. Thats why your friend texts you saying she wish she had the courage to do so.

Its especially common in younger people, they dont actually want to die, hence why so few of them do. The ones that follow through are usually either clinically insane or they simply take it to far.

Gargus
Thanks for that insight. So should I just start ignoring her? Help her and say don't do it? Tell her to stop graving attention? She DID try it once and needed to be hospitalized, or so she says.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

/START_of_Rant

MrGeezer
Well, some people are truly depressed and some are just drama queens. It's not place to judge, mental illness is a very real thing. Having said that, I'd do my best to distance myself from someone who's always talking like that. It may seem cruel to abandon someone when they're feeling so desperate, but I've got my own emotional well-being to worry about. And it's just a total drag being around someone who's constantly talking about how $hitty their lives are.

It honestly doesn't affect me much. She could talk all day about killing herself and I'll just go on with my life being happy and wishing she was too. But it does ANGER me that she thinks her life is bad.... compared to what others go through.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Thanks for that insight. So should I just start ignoring her? Help her and say don't do it? Tell her to stop graving attention? She DID try it once and needed to be hospitalized, or so she says.

Assuming she's a casual acquaintance and you're not really close to her, I'd personally just start avoiding her entirely. That's just me though, I'm not saying it's what you should do.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Thanks for that insight. So should I just start ignoring her? Help her and say don't do it? Tell her to stop graving attention? She DID try it once and needed to be hospitalized, or so she says.

Assuming she's a casual acquaintance and you're not really close to her, I'd personally just start avoiding her entirely. That's just me though, I'm not saying it's what you should do.

She has become my friend because she has "connected" to me on a personal level through this hard time of hers. She hasn't told anyone else and I'm the one who gets her text messages at night. That's why I'm trying to help her and talk her out of it, but sometimes I just want to say "Toughen up princess and look at the big picture idiot", but I can't lol... ANYONE here had experience with a person in this state?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] But it does ANGER me that she thinks her life is bad.... compared to what others go through.

Eh...what others go through is irrelevant to her. She can know that others have it worse than her, but that doesn't somehow make her life any better than it is now. If she hates her life, then she hates her life. EDIT: But if you want to help her, I'd recommend suggesting that she see a mental health professional. Maybe she needs counselling and maybe she needs to be on meds, but I doubt that you're qualified to give her the help that she needs. Don't push the issue, though. If she doesn't want to get help then you can't make her get help, so don't try to force her.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 worlock77

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

/START_of_Rant

FelipeInside

Well, some people are truly depressed and some are just drama queens. It's not place to judge, mental illness is a very real thing. Having said that, I'd do my best to distance myself from someone who's always talking like that. It may seem cruel to abandon someone when they're feeling so desperate, but I've got my own emotional well-being to worry about. And it's just a total drag being around someone who's constantly talking about how $hitty their lives are.

It honestly doesn't affect me much. She could talk all day about killing herself and I'll just go on with my life being happy and wishing she was too. But it does ANGER me that she thinks her life is bad.... compared to what others go through.

Does the fact that others in this world have it worse invalidate her feelings about her own life?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Fightingfan

*Note to self: stop making references that most users here are decades too young to get.*

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
^^ I have no idea what goes thru her brain worlock77, but she says life is constantly beating her down blah blah blah. Like c'mon, life is like that but you just get back up and keep fighting, not give up. I think her religion also is affecting her a lot. She is part of Jehovah's Witnesses and she really takes it seriously. She doesn't celebrate birthdays for example.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

I kind of agree with you, but there are also a lot of people who do legitimately have a very hard life, and suicide seems like the only answer to them. For example kids who get bullied really bad. Before any of go like OMFG YOU'RE AN IDIOT BLA BLA BLA, bullying can get really bad. I knew a kid once, and he was gay. They constantly bullied him and even beat him up very bad. His parents didn't care. He jumped in front of a train about 2 years ago.

Then again I also knew a girl who climbed on top of the school,claiming she was gonna jump. Eventually it turned out she did it for attention. I guess you need to judge evey case differently.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'd say most people who say they are contemplating suicide actually just want attention. Very few are truly suicidal.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77

^^ I have no idea what goes thru her brain worlock77, but she says life is constantly beating her down blah blah blah. Like c'mon, life is like that but you just get back up and keep fighting, not give up. I think her religion also is affecting her a lot. She is part of Jehovah's Witnesses and she really takes it seriously. She doesn't celebrate birthdays for example.FelipeInside

What goes through her brain wasn't the question. I'm asking you what you think.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ I have no idea what goes thru her brain worlock77, but she says life is constantly beating her down blah blah blah. Like c'mon, life is like that but you just get back up and keep fighting, not give up. I think her religion also is affecting her a lot. She is part of Jehovah's Witnesses and she really takes it seriously. She doesn't celebrate birthdays for example.worlock77

Oh sorry, I understood ur question wrong. She tells me that she knows other people have it much worse, but personally I don't really think she KNOWS if you know what I mean. She has never left Australia, never really had to live in a 3rd World Country (like I did), never really came out of her religion or church, never really experienced what the bad side of the world is yet.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ I have no idea what goes thru her brain worlock77, but she says life is constantly beating her down blah blah blah. Like c'mon, life is like that but you just get back up and keep fighting, not give up. I think her religion also is affecting her a lot. She is part of Jehovah's Witnesses and she really takes it seriously. She doesn't celebrate birthdays for example.FelipeInside

Oh sorry, I understood ur question wrong. She tells me that she knows other people have it much worse, but personally I don't really think she KNOWS if you know what I mean. She has never left Australia, never really had to live in a 3rd World Country (like I did), never really came out of her religion or church, never really experienced what the bad side of the world is yet.

Again, not the question. Do you (note: you, not her) think that the fact that others in the world have it worse invalidates her feelings about her own life?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

*Note to self: stop making references that most users here are decades too young to get.*

It's endearing though
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I think a valid reason for suicide is ostricism/ forced social isolation. It's very, very depressing and maddening.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dave123321

I think a valid reason for suicide is ostricism/ forced social isolation. It's very, very depressing and maddening.

BluRayHiDef
You should seek some form of counseling
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 worlock77

BluRayHiDef

Going by everything you've posted the only person forcing social isolation on you is yourself.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Bro you aint that old - you like a 1970s baby
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
My honest opinion of suicide isn't a popular one. I think people who are entirely sober and conscious of their decisions should be able to decide whether or not to maintain their conscious existence. On a personal level, I feel this is, and should be, a basic right. If I feel I'm suffering physically to the point where I no longer wish to live, I would prefer society looked at me in a compassionate way, as opposed to this real negative attitude we have toward it. Now, if someone is suffering psychologically, I think it's far too premature to commit suicide. A person isn't thinking with clarity. He/she should be put in therapy, and engage in cognitive behavioural programs that have a high success rate at turning around depression. When it comes to schizophrenia, or extreme cases of untreatable (or barely treatable) psychological disorders, I'm not sure forcing life on someone like that who has to suffer daily is the best option.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer

Again, not the question. Do you (note: you, not her) think that the fact that others in the world have it worse invalidates her feelings about her own life?

worlock77
Personally it reminds me of that thing parents say to their kids when the kids won't eat the food on their plate. "There are starving kids in Africa who would love to eat those peas." Yeah, maybe so. But I'm not starving and I still f***ing hate peas.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Charlie sheen is racking a high score with all the cocaine and no heart attacksFightingfan

Bro you aint that old - you like a 1970s baby

Which in no way invalidates what I posted.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dave123321
OT gets the reference
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

/START_of_Rant

FelipeInside

right, suicidal people like that should just be happy, because the world is full of people with horrible lives of misery. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Love and stop the violence!
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

The idea of giving motivational happy pills to the chronically depressed has always been interesting to me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44576 Posts
omg, suicide awareness 101 you probably hear cry for help in the first 30 seconds of any suicide literature or pamphlets or videos or whatnot, that's all that is
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I hate my effing life. I wont try to commit suicide. But I could imagine how someone more depressed than me would.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

worlock77

Going by everything you've posted the only person forcing social isolation on you is yourself.

• Wait at bus stop for bus. Bus comes by, driver looks at me and keeps going. Run to the next stop to catch it, and driver mean-mugs me when I board. Heck, the only reason he stopped at the next stop is because other people were waiting. Happens often.
  • Wait on line to enter bus and watch as the bus driver looks at and greets everyone who boards before me. I board and the driver looks away and pretends to look out of the window. Happens on a daily basis.
  • Make accidental eye contact with people while walking down the street, and get mean mugged.
  • New guy comes to work and introduces himself to everyone but me. Executes body language that implies discomfort when I'm around.
  • Walk toward a group of people, and they scatter. 

Yea, this is all my fault. :roll:

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

• Wait at bus stop for bus. Bus comes by, driver looks at me and keeps going. Run to the next stop to catch it, and driver mean-mugs me when I board. Heck, the only reason he stopped at the next stop is because other people were waiting. Happens often.
  • Wait on line to enter bus and watch as the bus driver looks at and greets everyone who boards before me. I board and the driver looks away and pretends to look out of the window. Happens on a daily basis.
  • Make accidental eye contact with people while walking down the street, and get mean mugged.
  • New guy comes to work and introduces himself to everyone but me. Executes body language that implies discomfort when I'm around.

Judging from what you post I'd say it likely is. Have you, for instance, ever stopped to consider your own body language? Like that other thread of yours where you say you have that "Bert stare". You don't think that creeps people the f*ck out? Body language says far more than words do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

Shinji_folding_chair_363.JPG.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Sorry again, lol. Personally no, I don't think so. I think she lives in her bubble and sees that things in her life aren't going well so she wants the easy way out, instead of fighting it and fixing it.
Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

I tried committing suicide jumping off a 3rd storied building, but failed.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

It sounds like it is. It's the perception of yourself as being some sort of victim that's making you interpret these situations as being somehow your fault. Remember, you're only getting a fraction of the entire spectrum of experience in everyone involved. You're turning yourself into a self-fufilling prophecy, whereby you think that you're socially isolated so you act accordingly and become socially isolated. If you're making people, especially people you just met, uncomfortable even before speaking to them I would look at how you approach the world. Are you being proactive and sincerely trying to get to know these people? Or are you just sitting in the corner saying "please don't talk to me". Because the way you choose to approach new people and situations is going to determine how people react to you.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Life is a b*tch, so why can't I f*ck it?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Judging from what you post I'd say it likely is. Have you, for instance, ever stopped to consider your own body language? Like that other thread of yours where you say you have that "Bert stare". You don't think that creeps people the f*ck out? Body language says far more than words do.

I don't always use the Bert stare, and my body language is normal. How can someone's body language be so intimidating that a bus driver refuses to stop for them...even though that bus driver sees that person everyday? Ridiculous.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

It sounds like it is. It's the perception of yourself as being some sort of victim that's making you interpret these situations as being somehow your fault. chrisrooR

Agreed. People don't realize how much of what's in their head leaks out to body posture and facial expression. Chin up, face the world like you mean it and you'll be surprised how differently people react than if you're slinking around staring at the ground with a hunch in your back the whole time.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

>tfw you're talking your gf out of it

Not fun.

I had suicidal thoughts too. It seems so easy. A perfect solution.

About two years ago two aqcuintances committed it - one had cancer and cut his throat because the pain was unbearable (the medics later said he had 48 hours max to live anyway) and the other one hanged himself after an argument with his parents. I was surprised by the second one's death as he was a very fun person to be around - an airhead punker basically.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

>tfw you're talking your gf out of it

Not fun.

I had suicidal thoughts too. It seems so easy. A perfect solution.

About two years ago two aqcuintances committed it - one had cancer and cut his throat because the pain was unbearable (the medics later said he had 48 hours max to live anyway) and the other one hanged himself after an argument with his parents. I was surprised by the second one's death as he was a very fun person to be around - an airhead punker basically.

Baranga
She isn't my GF....?? So what attitude is the best course to take with this girl from now on?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Oh sorry, I understood ur question wrong. She tells me that she knows other people have it much worse, but personally I don't really think she KNOWS if you know what I mean. She has never left Australia, never really had to live in a 3rd World Country (like I did), never really came out of her religion or church, never really experienced what the bad side of the world is yet.FelipeInside

Sorry again, lol. Personally no, I don't think so. I think she lives in her bubble and sees that things in her life aren't going well so she wants the easy way out, instead of fighting it and fixing it.

So are these - 

"Personally I think "WTF is wrong with all these people?"  Honestly, this girl I know says life is too hard?   Doesn't she realize there are people struggling to have something to eat on the table each night and she is complaining about life when she has a stable job, friends, lives in a First World Country and can go out shopping and partying? 

Do people even have a clue what suicide is and what ur giving up?  There are millions of people who would give anything to her a life like hers, and this idiot just wants to throw it away and hurt everyone in the process?"

- your honest thoughts? Frankly, it sounds like you're saying two different things. This quote from your first post basically reads like "shut up, be happy, your life is good", which is invalidating her own feelings about her life.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

I don't always use the Bert stare, and my body language is normal. How can someone's body language be so intimidating that a bus driver refuses to stop for them...even though that bus driver sees that person everyday? Ridiculous.

Why do I get the feeling that we're not getting the full story with your bus stop example?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

worlock77

So are these - 

"Personally I think "WTF is wrong with all these people?"  Honestly, this girl I know says life is too hard?   Doesn't she realize there are people struggling to have something to eat on the table each night and she is complaining about life when she has a stable job, friends, lives in a First World Country and can go out shopping and partying? 

Do people even have a clue what suicide is and what ur giving up?  There are millions of people who would give anything to her a life like hers, and this idiot just wants to throw it away and hurt everyone in the process?"

- your honest thoughts? Frankly, it sounds like you're saying two different things. This quote from your first post basically reads like "shut up, be happy, your life is good", which is invalidating her own feelings about her life.

You have confused me now, lol. My personal thoughts to her is that she should be grateful for what she has, which is much much more than other people, and that suicide for such dumb problems is stupid.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

So are these - 

Leejjohno

You have confused me now, lol. My personal thoughts to her is that she should be grateful for what she has, which is much much more than other people, and that suicide for such dumb problems is stupid.

Was she depressed?

Yes, according to her she suffers from depression and the doctor gave her pills for it (which make her sleepy too). Still, I think it's more than that....she takes things too seriously and sees temporary problems as something unfixable. And I believe it has to do with her being a hardcore Jehovah Witness. (part of the problem).