Suicide ??? Really ?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#101 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Suicide is a coward's way out; except for a person who's going through a great amount of pain (health wise). Ackad

sucide is an easy option imo.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#102 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

It's hard to understand the mindset of someone like that. It doesn't matter that some people have it harder. Happiness is relative so a person who feels that bad is not gonna start appreciating their life just because there are others who have it worse. People who contemplate suicide feel worthless and don't feel like they owe it to anyone to keep on living.

I know it's probably difficult to deal with someone like that but you shouldn't judge people who want to kill themselves just because you would never think about it. There sure are a lot of attention seekers but we shouldn't ignore the issue. Apparently someone offs themselves every 30 seconds so it's a serious problem even if it annoys you.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

It's hard to understand the mindset of someone like that. It doesn't matter that some people have it harder. Happiness is relative so a person who feels that bad is not gonna start appreciating their life just because there are others who have it worse. People who contemplate suicide feel worthless and don't feel like they owe it to anyone to keep on living.

I know it's probably difficult to deal with someone like that but you shouldn't judge people who want to kill themselves just because you would never think about it. There sure are a lot of attention seekers but we shouldn't ignore the issue. Apparently someone offs themselves every 30 seconds so it's a serious problem even if it annoys you.

tryagainlater
I guess what annoys me more than their attitude is the waste. There are people out there who would love to have the life of this girl, yet she wants to throw it away for minor problems.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#104 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

I guess what annoys me more than their attitude is the waste. There are people out there who would love to have the life of this girl, yet she wants to throw it away for minor problems.FelipeInside

In that case, you're never allowed to feel sad or stressed ever again.

Her happiness is relative, she doesn't know how kids in Africa feel about everything, she's never felt what they've felt, so she doesn't know how to handle this time in her life, which is totally understandable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I guess what annoys me more than their attitude is the waste. There are people out there who would love to have the life of this girl, yet she wants to throw it away for minor problems.applesxc47

In that case, you're never allowed to feel sad or stressed ever again.

Her happiness is relative, she doesn't know how kids in Africa feel about everything, she's never felt what they've felt, so she doesn't know how to handle this time in her life, which is totally understandable.

I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am. Btw, I could not even imagine to feel how kids in Africa feel, but I can see what I have and compare. Maybe she is missing that as well.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 applesxc47

I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am. Btw, I could not even imagine to feel how kids in Africa feel, but I can see what I have and compare. Maybe she is missing that as well.FelipeInside

Maybe she can compare, but she doesn't care right now because this is the worst thing to happen to her. If she can't handle something, who are you to tell her she's wrong?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am. Btw, I could not even imagine to feel how kids in Africa feel, but I can see what I have and compare. Maybe she is missing that as well.applesxc47

Maybe she can compare, but she doesn't care right now because this is the worst thing to happen to her. If she can't handle something, who are you to tell her she's wrong?

So I should tell her to go ahead and kill herself cause she can't handle it?
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 applesxc47

[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am. Btw, I could not even imagine to feel how kids in Africa feel, but I can see what I have and compare. Maybe she is missing that as well.FelipeInside

You should understand that her feelings are different to yours.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="applesxc47"]

applesxc47

I understand that, when have I said otherwise. But suicide isn't the answer to such minor problems. I would be thinking differently for example if she was really sick with no cure and in excessive pain.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 applesxc47

[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] So I should tell her to go ahead and kill herself cause she can't handle it?FelipeInside

I understand that, when have I said otherwise. But suicide isn't the answer to such minor problems. I would be thinking differently for example if she was really sick with no cure and in excessive pain.

She doesn't really want to kill herself, I don't think. As someone said before, suicidal people tend to keep generally quiet about it. This is probably one of those 'reaching out' things anyway.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyNWyZhUS0
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="applesxc47"]

applesxc47

She doesn't really want to kill herself, I don't think. As someone said before, suicidal people tend to keep generally quiet about it. This is probably one of those 'reaching out' things anyway.

Yeah hopefully you're right. I have to be careful anyway cause when she is happy, she really is a great person. I'm just scared cause she tried it once with sleeping pills and then I saw the cuts on her arm.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am.FelipeInside
See, here's the thing that bothers me about this mentality....what you are essentially saying is that you are using her death to validate your worth as a person.  "She's weaker, I'm stronger...."  Nevermind the fact that she's DEAD.  I'm sorry man, but that's pretty fvcked up way to view things, and it seems all the people who look down on suicide do so for nothing more than to promote their own feelings of worth at the ultimate expense of the other.  

Why someone kills themselves is irrelevent really, in the end suicide is simply a sad situation all around.  As others have said, it's all relative.  Perhaps she has other things going on and this has just put her over the edge?  I do agree that many do it as a cry for help and to gain attention, and I myself view suicide "attempts" as not entirely genuine death wishes (if you really want to die, there are ways to remove all doubt), but still.

Nobody really has any foundation to hold anyone who commits suicide to any standard, because strength, hardships, and peoples' ability to deal with everything in life varies wildly from one to another.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am.MirkoS77

See, here's the thing that bothers me about this mentality....what you are essentially saying is that you are using her death to validate your worth as a person.  "She's weaker, I'm stronger...."  Nevermind the fact that she's DEAD.  I'm sorry man, but that's pretty fvcked up way to view things, and it seems all the people who look down on suicide do so for nothing more than to promote their own feelings of worth at the ultimate expense of the other.  

Why someone kills themselves is irrelevent really, in the end suicide is simply a sad situation all around.  As others have said, it's all relative.  Perhaps she has other things going on and this has just put her over the edge?  I do agree that many do it as a cry for help and to gain attention, and I myself view suicide "attempts" as not entirely genuine death wishes (if you really want to die, there are ways to remove all doubt), but still.

Nobody really has any foundation to hold anyone who commits suicide to any standard, because strength, hardships, and peoples' ability to deal with everything in life varies wildly from one to another.

Whoa Whoa, talk about reading my post wrong. I'm the only one in her life trying to get her NOT to commit suicide, or did that just escape your mind when you wrote that? Most of her other so called friends stop talking to her the moment they found out she tried to OD on sleeping pills.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I understand that, but suicide is the easy way out for her. I guess I have to accept that she is weaker than I am.FelipeInside

Whoa Whoa, talk about reading my post wrong. I'm the only one in her life trying to get her NOT to commit suicide, or did that just escape your mind when you wrote that? Most of her other so called friends stop talking to her the moment they found out she tried to OD on sleeping pills.

I meant no offense.  That's great that you're sticking by her, but she probably doesn't need judgement or comparison at this point.  If she's willing to end it for the reasons you stated, then something else is going on.  I doubt anyone would kill themselves simply for what you said, but maybe they would.  I don't know.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#116 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If she is talking to you about it, chances are she isn't super-serious and is attempting to reach out for support. Also, first world problems.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

I guess you never suffered from depression then. You feel worthless, you feel everyone hates you, it eats you up, you just think to yourself what is the point in life, just to suffer? Why not just kill myself, I be better of dead. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]See, here's the thing that bothers me about this mentality....what you are essentially saying is that you are using her death to validate your worth as a person.  "She's weaker, I'm stronger...."  Nevermind the fact that she's DEAD.  I'm sorry man, but that's pretty fvcked up way to view things, and it seems all the people who look down on suicide do so for nothing more than to promote their own feelings of worth at the ultimate expense of the other.  

MirkoS77

I meant no offense.  That's great that you're sticking by her, but she probably doesn't need judgement or comparison at this point.  If she's willing to end it for the reasons you stated, then something else is going on.  I doubt anyone would kill themselves simply for what you said, but maybe they would.  I don't know.

I'm not judging her (or trying not to). I am trying to understand her state of mind to help her get thru it without taking her own life. When I mentioned the weak thing, what I meant was is that I have to understand that she isn't as strong as me right now in that state and that I have to be aware of that.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
not being in their shoes i'll withhold judgement... wait. what i'm am i thinking? this is the internet. of course i'll judge. what a stupid move! these kids today are such pansies compared to my day. one little hurdle in life and it's time to open an artery?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#120 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

People should start not to diminish a break up like something silly to be upset about. I had lots of physical pain throughout my life and nothing was more painfull than when an ex of mine broke up with me. It really takes you the will to live. Thankfully I was able to get over it but that memory still haunts me from time to time

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#121 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

You are assuming they think normally.  When someone is depressed, they lose a lot of reason and the ability to cope with things.  A minor difficulty may seem insurmountable to them.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Life is a blessing but if someone isn't satisfied with the life they lead they are free to end their life....

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

A lot of people in developed countries are spoilt and do not understand the way of life.

When something little happens like breaking up with a partner, they often blow this way out of proportion to get attention. The only word I can describe these people is morons.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 FelipeInside

People should start not to diminish a break up like something silly to be upset about. I had lots of physical pain throughout my life and nothing was more painfull than when an ex of mine broke up with me. It really takes you the will to live. Thankfully I was able to get over it but that memory still haunts me from time to time

Vatusus
No one is saying breakups don't hurt, cause they do, but it's not a reason to give up on life.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#125 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

FelipeInside

No one is saying breakups don't hurt, cause they do, but it's not a reason to give up on life.

Offcourse not. But it seems the pseudo "alpha males" find silly to be completely broken because of a broken heart just because "there are bigger problems in the world". Thats a silly reason. I bet most saying stuff like this act all emotionaly tough until it happens to them. Then they all cry to their beds

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

The usual idiots chiming in. "Oh she just wants attention." "Oh she's weak, let her take the coward's way out." No empathy whatsoever, which is why the majority of you are socially awkward to begin with.

OP I commend you for actually questioning yourself and revisiting your stance on how you should go about approaching the situation. Have her seek professional help. Maybe go with her for a couple sessions to see what goes through her mind. Have her write out a list of everything that bothers her so that you can gain some perspective. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 FelipeInside

The usual idiots chiming in. "Oh she just wants attention." "Oh she's weak, let her take the coward's way out." No empathy whatsoever, which is why the majority of you are socially awkward to begin with.

OP I commend you for actually questioning yourself and revisiting your stance on how you should go about approaching the situation. Have her seek professional help. Maybe go with her for a couple sessions to see what goes through her mind. Have her write out a list of everything that bothers her so that you can gain some perspective. 

Spellingiscool
Will try those things, thank you. She is already receiving professional help for her depression, but she doesn't want to talk to that person about her problems because he's a stranger. She has become close to me and tells me her problems and thoughts, that's why I feel the need to help her through this.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#128 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"]

FelipeInside
Will try those things, thank you. She is already receiving professional help for her depression, but she doesn't want to talk to that person about her problems because he's a stranger. She has become close to me and tells me her problems and thoughts, that's why I feel the need to help her through this.

The important thing is finding someone that she's comfortable talking too. Hopefully you can help her work through these feelings in a productive, non suicidal way.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Whoa Whoa, talk about reading my post wrong. I'm the only one in her life trying to get her NOT to commit suicide, or did that just escape your mind when you wrote that? Most of her other so called friends stop talking to her the moment they found out she tried to OD on sleeping pills.FelipeInside

I'm not judging her (or trying not to). I am trying to understand her state of mind to help her get thru it without taking her own life. When I mentioned the weak thing, what I meant was is that I have to understand that she isn't as strong as me right now in that state and that I have to be aware of that.

Oh I see what you're saying, my misinterpretation and apologies.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

suicide is lame but its awful that this world can make some one so down they want to die.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I guess what annoys me more than their attitude is the waste. There are people out there who would love to have the life of this girl, yet she wants to throw it away for minor problems.

Well, it's not as if she can just hand her life over to them. She can go on living in misery, or off herself. Either way, it's still a life that's NOT going to someone who would appreciate it. Again, it's like a parent telling a child who hates peas that some starving African kid would love those peas. So what? Whether I eat the peas or not, that starving African kid still isn't getting them. So what's the point if I just plain don't like peas?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I guess what annoys me more than their attitude is the waste. There are people out there who would love to have the life of this girl, yet she wants to throw it away for minor problems.

Well, it's not as if she can just hand her life over to them. She can go on living in misery, or off herself. Either way, it's still a life that's NOT going to someone who would appreciate it. Again, it's like a parent telling a child who hates peas that some starving African kid would love those peas. So what? Whether I eat the peas or not, that starving African kid still isn't getting them. So what's the point if I just plain don't like peas?

The attitude.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

I don't think she is being ridiculous at all. I also think death may be easier on us then living life. If your friend said this to you it could just be her remembering were she came from deep down in her conscious mind. I can't really give you any advice on how to move forward with her because I am in a similar situation myself.

I do see what you are saying though. I look at my nieces and I watch them grow up complaining and crying about the silliest of things. I look at them and I say to myself if only they had lived the life I have lived they wouldn't cry over such trivial things. I think what happens is that we have what we consider a hard life not realizing that it could be worser then it really is. If you think you had a hard life there is always someone out there who had it harder then you.

I'll end with this.

You don't know how hard life really is until you experience how bad it really can be.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#134 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

There's definitely a different mindset. A friend of mine was suicidal for a year, and though I stuck by him, I often questioned what reason he had to be so depressed. There doesn't have to be a "good" one, it's just how the person's mind functions.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
Its sad when young people kill themselves over events like losing a BF or GF, little things like that. But if your 45 and your life sucks, it probably honestly wont get very better. I forget who said it but someone said some quote like "if your in a movie and the first half sucked, the 2nd half probably wont be much better. I see no problem walking out" And in some cases suicide is a good option, such as being in horrible pain
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#136 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
People have to realize that one that contemplates suicide is not in a rational state of mind due to depression or other such things.. I find it pretty fvcking disgusting of many of these posts from people who clearly have never suffered from depression or lived with some one who has.. Things like bi-polar order, clinical depression and numerous other things can be serious illnesses if left untreated.. When some one commits suicide it is a tragedy because they did not get the help they needed and felt it was the only way to stop the agony they felt each day..
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#137 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
People have to realize that one that contemplates suicide is not in a rational state of mind due to depression or other such things.. I find it pretty fvcking disgusting of many of these posts from people who clearly have never suffered from depression or lived with some one who has.. Things like bi-polar order, clinical depression and numerous other things can be serious illnesses if left untreated.. When some one commits suicide it is a tragedy because they did not get the help they needed and felt it was the only way to stop the agony they felt each day.. sSubZerOo
Problem is they aren't thinking straight, and there's usually a way to fix the issue.
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
The problem with people like you is lack of sympathy and empathy. You expect people to feel as you do when they aren't like you and when they have had different experiences. You have no idea what its like to be someone else. People who are depressed or insane need real help not bs talk about how there are other people who can't even feed themselves.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 FelipeInside
The problem with people like you is lack of sympathy and empathy. You expect people to feel as you do when they aren't like you and when they have had different experiences. You have no idea what its like to be someone else. People who are depressed or insane need real help not bs talk about how there are other people who can't even feed themselves. BenedictArnold7
And that's what I'm trying to do, help her thru this since she only talks to me about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a457b7beaa88
deactivated-5a457b7beaa88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#140 deactivated-5a457b7beaa88
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts

Nope, you're not being too harsh, most people just want attention and affirmation. I think people just get over it, either way, your best interest is being direct and making them think about what asses they're making themselves look like.